Song Contest 142 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:21 am

Post by Vi »

In post 73, Cyril wrote:that's okay. i really desire last place
you will take last place from my cold hands

(brb going to freezer)
Panzerjager wrote:all the good songs were only my song.
I have been in contests where I unironically thought this.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:35 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

Why do people have different opinions from me

Its annoying
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:17 pm

Post by Amrun »

Haha haha Vi. I was going to enter more esoteric choral stuff but decided to try something more widely palatable.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Poland- Dead South- I like the Dead South a lot. I like their sound and the rawness of the vocals. I think the more forceful vocals are a good payoff for the first few minutes of build. I liked this one.

USA- DGD- another band i hear a lot about but know little from. That guitar riff coming in around 1:30 was a nice crescendo to that build. I liked this.

Sudan- Mingus Big Band- Yes please.

Afghanistan- Wintergatan- this guy is obviously talented musically. I enjoyed the different sounds, especially the saw, for that eerie otherworldly sound. Nice.

Ethiopia- Donald Phan- im always a little amazed by people who can do this on a piano, this was pretty good, not sure how often id listen to it, but id enjoy it when it came on.

Egypt-Jacob Collier- was not expecting him to grab and bass and the funk to follow. It had me head bobbing. Decent.

Hungary- Serif Delic- i would listen to this while meditating or trying to sleep. Being non-english actually helps a lot for those.

Wales- Paul Kelly- this was ok, i liked the lyrics themselves and what they were talking about more than i liked the song if that makes sense.

Djibouti- Sports Team- this was pretty good, something i would sound hound while im out and then never download, but maybe listen to again and think that its decent.

Costa Rica- Dirty Projectors- not my thing, but its built beautifully.

Niger- Drax- this was ok, catchy, but not in the best way.

Iceland- Billie Eilish- Eilish is ok, i think she makes decent enough music. I don't get why she is as big as she is, but thats just the boomer in me maybe? I liked "bury a friend" from her, but thats the only song by her i can think of off hand.

Germany- Nordic Chamber Choir- very ethereal and beautiful, could make it onto my xmas playlist and languish there in perpetuity.

Turkey- TSO- I dont know why, but i really hate listening to children sing. Is that weird?

Macau- aivi & surasshu- if autotune and elevator music boned this would be the bastard result.

Japan- Suzuki Airi- i think this made more sense to me before i realized there was english translations. Ill pass.

Guyana- Flume- this was alright, nevermind. I just got to the autotuned keyboard, im out.

China- Batushka- in high school i needed to add an elective my senior year to have enough credits to graduate and took chorus. One of the songs we sang for the concert was a Gregorian monk chant. Thats all.

Australia- Youp van't Hek- after reading the first line or two I can see where this is going. Listening to the first 30 seconds of the song i get feelings of a movie opening, like the Original parent trap or movies from that time period. What the fuck? It ends with patricide?

Philippines- Parokya ni Edgar- what the fuck is this? Why is half of it in english and some of it is in another language with out any explanation? This feels like a 90's sitcom intro. When does the hilarity ensue? Seriously, wtf?

Benin- Beanus- What. The. Fuck? This makes me want to roofie myself.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:45 am

Post by Vi »

In post 78, Formerfish wrote:Philippines- Parokya ni Edgar-
[...]
Why is half of it in english and some of it is in another language with out any explanation?
From what I've gathered from the Filipinos I know, seamlessly going back and forth between the two languages is commonplace.
One side effect of this is that their slang is virtually incomprehensible to outsiders.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:07 am

Post by PJ. »

So this is basically cockney rhyming slang but for filipino people?
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:00 am

Post by Vi »

In post 76, Aurathebirb wrote:Why do people have different opinions from me

Its annoying
Out of curiosity, is there a specific entry you're concerned about, or is this in general?
Panzerjager wrote:So this is basically cockney rhyming slang but for filipino people?
I'm pretty sure this is several levels beyond cockney slang.
Saladman27
Saladman27
Green Light
Saladman27
Green Light
Green Light

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Post by Saladman27 »

Filipinos use English and Filipino in the same sentences. It's not really slang, more of an influence of western culture including spanish. From what I can translate, the story is about how the singer's best friend is gay for him, saying in the chorus, This guy's in love with you Pare, Pare meaning dude.
Saladman27
Saladman27
Green Light
Saladman27
Green Light
Green Light

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Post by Saladman27 »

If you guys want I could translate the whole song if I can.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I finished voting it was hard because I liked all the songs so much.

Since this is a
song
contest I'm not supposed to rate Egypt higher just because Jacob Collier is super cute, right?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 84, popsofctown wrote:I finished voting it was hard because I liked all the songs so much.

Since this is a
song
contest I'm not supposed to rate Egypt higher just because Jacob Collier is super cute, right?
Does his attractiveness affect your enjoyment at all?
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 84, popsofctown wrote:Since this is a
song
It wouldn't be the worst reason I've seen people give high ratings to songs.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 85, Formerfish wrote:
In post 84, popsofctown wrote:I finished voting it was hard because I liked all the songs so much.

Since this is a
song
Does his attractiveness affect your enjoyment at all?
It increases it but it depends on which tab is active and would give an unfair disadvantage to soundcloud.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Post by Cyril »

tool how are you gonna handle the issue of my submission still not being on the voting form a week into voting btw :P
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 88, Cyril wrote:tool how are you gonna handle the issue of my submission still not being on the voting form a week into voting btw :P
It's still not there? I didn't notice.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Post by vizIIsto »

Why would you. It's not like you were planning on giving it any points, did you?
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Post by PJ. »

I *was* on team chill out, but I might be in team Vi now.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Post by Formerfish »

In post 90, vizIIsto wrote:Why would you. It's not like you were planning on giving it any points, did you?
And that's the joke.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:19 am

Post by Vi »

In post 91, PJ. wrote:I *was* on team chill out, but I might be in team Vi now.
now
that's
a dichotomy

FWIW I sent t00 a PM about it after posting ITT and it still hasn't been picked up, so asking them more questions may not get you very far.
(On the brighter side, maybe they've found the secret to leaving this site forever: holding a position of bookkeeping responsibility. See also: list mods)
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:13 am

Post by vizIIsto »

I propose the idea to be able to give minus points to the song you most dislike.
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:23 am

Post by MiniDeathStar »

In post 94, vizIIsto wrote:I propose the idea to be able to give minus points to the song you most dislike.
Why would you shoot yourself in the foot like this? :roll:

Just kidding :P I wouldn't recommend that. Downvotes bring only toxicity.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:41 am

Post by Cyril »

the voting rules have been the same for literally 10 years i don't see a strong justification for changing them now
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am

Post by Cyril »

Afghanistan – This is, like, completely and utterly fine but I would never ever choose to listen to something like this of my own volition. Way too long for its own good too. It’s technically impressive that it’s all one guy doing all this I guess but I don’t listen to music to be impressed, I listen to music for enjoyment. (AVERAGE)

Hungary – Well this was a complete flatline for me. It’s almost mediocre except I can’t really point to anything I actively disliked, so… (AVERAGE)

Wales – I was expecting a joke song from the title but this was a genuinely solid & kinda sad tune. Maybe not anything special musically or stylistically but. (DECENT)

Chad – Blink have never been funny and their frontman has never sounded good and this is a joke of a song fragment I can’t imagine unironically enjoying. I don’t ironically enjoy it either.

China – Oh, hey, this is even the one song from them I’ve actually been shown before. I guess this is probably their best song, which basically tells me I’ll never be a huge fan, since this style of cult-y black metal in general doesn’t do much for me and the song is so simplistic that any initial charm it might’ve had wears off in a few listens, but it’s still gonna score high because this contest is, uhh, this contest. (DECENT)

Turkey – This one pisses me off because it’s not even a Christmas song. You don’t just sing over a 300-year old classical piece with Christmas-y lyrics and suddenly it’s a Christmas song now. I don’t know how often TSO has done this but I wish they’d stop. Canon in D is also just such a staple of the concept of music in general I don’t actually want to listen to it anymore.

Niger – Feel like I’ve heard this before somewhere but I have absolutely no clue where. It’s kinda fun. I’m kinda digging it. (DECENT)

USA – Ugh these guys. I should like the more than I do and on a song-by-song basis they can be enjoyable but every time I try to listen to an album it’s just. The same song, ten times or so. Every album. Sounds basically the same. I think this is one of the songs I’ve been specifically shown from them before, too, it sounds familiar. It’s… okay. It’s kind of hookless and feels unfocused too, and I’ve never been huge on their singer either, but some of this works alright. (DECENT)

Djibouti – This sure is that kind of song from that kind of indie rock band you know. (AVERAGE)

Iceland – This isn’t her best song but I’m pretty sure it’s one of the easiest to like. Of course, I’m getting last place anyways since literally nobody can vote for it.

Ethiopia – Oh my god it really is just a piano cover of presumably some video game or anime song. I can’t tell. I’m not sitting through this though.

well, it's not good, but it's """better"""
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:06 am

Post by Vi »

In post 97, Cyril wrote:You don’t just sing over a 300-year old classical piece with Christmas-y lyrics and suddenly it’s a Christmas song now.
You are mistaken; Christians will appropriate anything popular and have done so for well over a thousand years. Three classic examples include
*The American Pledge of Allegiance, co-opted with pledges to the Christian Flag (which without checking I'm going to guess was created specifically for this purpose and has no other significance) and the Bible
*Literally every December holiday, replacing them with a celebration of the birth of Christ (notwithstanding that Christ was born near Passover)
*Greensleeves, which if memory serves was a popular English drinking song about a whore; replaced with one of the most forced Christmas hymns with one of the most ludicrously forced names (What Child Is This?) (For full effect you should say the name of the song like a Speak-and-Say quizzing someone on what a baby cow is called)

Edit: to be clear this post is more than anything fueled by some intense boredom and frustration at work
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:24 am

Post by Cyril »

Yeah I agree christianity is bad was that the point

Return to “General Discussion”