MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Post by MacavityLock »

subgenius wrote:It seems to me that some of this talk about whether or not we have an SK to worry about is premature and probably counter productive to our efforts against the one threat of which we are certain, the mafia.
Yes, exactly. In post 43, Panzer was the one to start bringing up an SK as a real threat.
ting =) wrote:@MacavityLock.
I agree with Panzer that we should be going after mafia, not SK. More because of the fact that we
don't
know for sure we have an SK in this game than because of the point on cross kills though.
On Day 1, we should be going after scum, no matter what flavor. My apologies if I didn't make that clear.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Post by GIEFF »

MacavityLock wrote:
subgenius wrote:It seems to me that some of this talk about whether or not we have an SK to worry about is premature and probably counter productive to our efforts against the one threat of which we are certain, the mafia.
Yes, exactly. In post 43, Panzer was the one to start bringing up an SK as a real threat.
I don't know if you're misreading post 43 on purpose or on accident, but you're misreading it.
Goatrevolt
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Goatrevolt
Pond Scum
Pond Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Post by Goatrevolt »

This is going to be a long post. I'm reading through the thread and pointing out things as I go:
Panzerjager wrote:@Goatrevolt: He is calling GIEFF anti-town, for simply wanting to lynch mafia. Therefore, mykonian is mafia.
Why did you assume mykonian's vote was serious? To me it seemed obvious it was a joke (though I'll admit I was thrown off by his later explanations), and I'm curious why this didn't even cross your mind.
Dourgrim wrote:Nope, hence my reference to "the usual meaningless chatter that people use to "spice up" Day One random voting." But it is possible mykonian was serious, so I explored the possibility.
Right, I caught that reference. However, if you knew he wasn't serious, then why would you even bother to discuss other possibilities?
Dourgrim wrote:He wouldn't, of course, since the game began with Day. What Cop are you referring to? I didn't even imply anyone was a Cop. Rather, I said GIEFF's unlikely to be a Cop because a Cop wouldn't be likely to out himself in pregame. And where did the "3 players" part come from? Are you referencing GIEFF's "obvscum" comment in pregame, or did I miss something?
When you say "GIEFF is unlikely to be a Cop because a Cop wouldn't be likely to out himself in pregame" you are making the implicit statement that a cop could possibly out himself in pregame with information on 3 scum. My question was probing you to figure out how that would even be possible. In other words, why would you even consider cop a possibility, when a cop couldn't possibly have information on 3 players pregame?

I just don't get why you would even suggest the possibility of a cop, and then say why that reasoning doesn't work if:
1. A cop couldn't possibly fit the situation
2. You admit that you knew he was joking.
Why even discuss it in the first place?
Dourgrim wrote:He wouldn't... but he would have more information as to the setup of the game than a Townie would, which is what I said above. Also, here you reference the "3 mafia" again. Do you know something the rest of us don't? This isn't an open setup game to my knowledge, and the only weight I gave to the "knowledge pre-game" theory was because, via the roundabout thinking I detailed in my last post, mykonian's logic isn't complete crap. It's certainly not great, but it's not total garbage either.
Again, I'm talking strictly about your post. You talk about the possibility of GIEFF as a SK and then write it off as unlikely because a SK wouldn't out themselves so early. My question to you was along the lines of: "Why would a SK have information on 3 scum anyway?" Your reasoning for doubting the SK theory was because the SK wouldn't out themselves, instead of the more obvious answer of "the SK wouldn't have info on 3 scum". I was curious why that wasn't a part of your reasoning.
Dourgrim wrote:I'm certainly not clearing him... I'm voting for him, for cryin' out loud.
Ok. You had said "GIEFF can't possibly be mafia if he's trying to lynch mafia" but I mistakenly attributed that to your own point of view, rather than your interpretation of mykonian's.
dejkha wrote:
FoS: Dourgrim
because this early you seem awfully eager to write people off as possible scum for things with obvious explanations.
Why only a FoS?
MacavityLock wrote:
Panzerjager wrote:Also, it makes more sense to go after mafia then the SK, because SK has a chance to cross kill Mafiates.
Anyone have a theory discussion to point me to on this? Because my gut feeling is that this is VERY wrong. I'd much rather get rid of an entire killing faction in one lynch than whittle the mafia down one at a time, even given the chance of crosskill. BTW, we don't even know whether we have an SK or not, but if we do, Panzer's my top choice for him.
Unvote: Dour. Vote: Panzer
I'm not sure on the theory, but I figure it's not all that meaningful anyway. At this point in the game we have no knowledge of there being a SK, so we don't hunt for a SK, we hunt for mafia. If there is a SK, and if we get to a point in the game where we know someone is the SK and know someone else is mafia and we have to make a decision between which to lynch, we can return to this discussion.

So, Macavity, you say we don't know whether or not there even is a SK, but then you vote Panzer based on the notion that if there is a SK it's him? Why would you vote for the "SK" when you yourself point out that we don't even know if there is one? Fishy.
mykonian wrote:damn it, you got me. That thinking does however work when there are two scumgroups, but I made a mistake there
Why bother with this explanation if your post was a joke?
dejkha wrote:I do think being aggressive is important, but I guess it's a matter of opinion. To me, little things like that are way to little to be taken the wrong way. But that's just me.
You don't catch scum without pressuring them first. Early in the game little things are all you have to go off of, and pressuring those little things is what eventually leads to bigger and more meaningful things. I'll agree that Dour is jumping on things that I wouldn't even bat an eye at, but I haven't seen any underlying scum motivations for his actions, at least not yet.
mykonian wrote:random
vote GIEFF
because he had the last post.
Why apply a second random vote to the same target? And why place a second random vote in the midst of legit discussion?
GIEFF wrote:That's not necessary. But my point remains; you focused on me because I didn't vote, but that's hardly enough to differentiate me from others who posted no content WITH a random-vote, is it? Especially considering the fact that so many others have still posted no meaningful content.
Random votes and interactions in the "random phase" are surprisingly meaningful. Not placing a random vote actually denies the town potentially useful information.
dejkha wrote:Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how would we go about specifically finding the SK? Seems like the only way would be if they admitted to it.
There are other ways of telling. A SK has a specific win condition and will play in such a way to further that win con. SK's are interested in the death of everyone except for themselves. One potential telltale sign of a SK is not caring about who gets lynched as long as it isn't them.
subgenius wrote:One more question, just a clarification for a newer player. Are the terms 'scum' and 'mafia' entirely interchangeable, or does 'scum' also include SK or any other non-town aligned roles? The reason I ask is that GRIEFF's pre-game accusation referred to 'obvscum' which most people seem to interpret as meaning mafia, but could mean 2 mafia + 1 SK, or some other combination of non-town roles. On the first and second page, Mykonian and Goatrevolt both seemed to take it for granted that GRIEFF was referring to 3 mafia players. Is it possible that one or all of them inadvertently showed a more complete knowledge of the game set up than a townie would have?
Scum: An overarching term for anyone anti-town.
Mafia: A specific type of scum.

You are correct in that my assumption was that GIEFF's 3 players thing was referring to 3 mafia members. The standard setup for a 12 player normal mini is 9 townies against 3 mafia. When GIEFF calls 3 people scum, I immediately connected the idea that he's calling out the entire mafia team. It would have been unnatural for me to assume he's talking about 2 mafia + 1 SK or some other variation.

------

Unvote, Vote MacavityLock

Why are you voting for your SK suspect when you yourself admit we don't know there is a SK?
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:37 am

Post by mykonian »

ting =) wrote:@Myko.
Post 55 and 58. If it was a random vote, why should craplogic even be an issue? Why apologize for faulty logic if it wasn't even a serious vote? Also, why'd you go back to random voting in post 55?
to show it was a random vote. Nothing changed in post 55, only my reaction on the fact that the assumption that the SK would know something about the setup was wrong :) I think I should always appoligize for bad play. It simply is not helping, because people may think you are scummy. Even when it was for a random vote, then you have the right to point out that the reason is wrong.
dejkha
dejkha
Mafia Scum
dejkha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 am

Post by dejkha »

subgenius wrote:Well, it looks like there's quite a bit going on already. It seems to me that some of this talk about whether or not we have an SK to worry about is premature and probably counter productive to our efforts against the one threat of which we are certain, the mafia. I think we ought to wait and see what happens tonight and reopen the discussion after we have more concrete evidence to look at.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. There's no point in going on a possible wild goose chase. It seems like only reason we're considering it is because someone brought it up and if it is just a distraction, it's working. I think it goes without saying, its better to wait until we know for sure.
Goatrevolt wrote:
Why only a FoS?
Mostly because of the same feelings you have about him:
Goatrevolt wrote: I haven't seen any underlying scum motivations for his actions, at least not yet.
I was aware that it could've been him being aggressive right from the get go, it just seemed unlikely that the posts he was addressing meant anything. When he and I explained later, it turns I out I misinterpreted a post or two of his and that's why I was more suspicious than I should've been.
"You say that all my posts are stupid like a motherf***ing SOB. I'm sick and tired of your constant BS." - Zwet to me.

"Fuck you... You're a pompous, ignorant fool, dejkha, and I don't appreciate your incessant badmouthing of me." - Zwet
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 am

Post by Dourgrim »

To clarify a couple of things about me as a player:

1) I am almost always seen as an aggressive player because I'm usually a very vocal and verbose player. I am aware that this is not always a virtue because I tend to attract quite a bit of attention, which in turn causes people to pick apart every little thing I say (sometimes justifiably, sometimes not), which in turn gets me under suspicion more often than not. It is, however, a viable and often effective method of provoking serious (and occasionally inflammatory) conversation in the game, which seems to be the case in this game.

2) I
do
tend to "jump on" things other people don't see as significant because, from my experience, those things tend to
be
significant somewhere down the line, for better or worse. Furthermore, my "jumping" tends to provoke conversation and deeper analysis of topics that could easily be glossed over otherwise.

3) I tend to be a somewhat visceral player as well. I have hunches, and I follow them, and sometimes I don't explain those hunches all that well. This is not the case in this particular game, as I tried to explain my reasoning as well as I could, but it is a trait of mine.

Having said all of that, I would like to
unvote: GIEFF
for the moment. I'm going to reread the thread with a fresh pair of eyes today and see what I see, and I'll weigh in on the situation later today.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:35 am

Post by MacavityLock »

Goatrevolt wrote:I'm not sure on the theory, but I figure it's not all that meaningful anyway. At this point in the game we have no knowledge of there being a SK, so we don't hunt for a SK, we hunt for mafia. If there is a SK, and if we get to a point in the game where we know someone is the SK and know someone else is mafia and we have to make a decision between which to lynch, we can return to this discussion.

------

Why are you voting for your SK suspect when you yourself admit we don't know there is a SK?
This is probably an issue of me not being clear in my post. Just because Panzer is my top choice for possible SK doesn't mean he's not my top choice for mafia too. Over-reaction to mykonian's RV. Throwing out what I considered to be bad mafia theory. And I do think he's the one who started taking the idea of an SK seriously, even though just a few posts later, he writes
Panzerjager wrote:@MacavityLock: It is inherently scummy to be mentioning SK before Day 2 unless the setup is open. We have no clue that an SK even exist so townies shouldn't be hunting for them.
GIEFF wrote:I don't know if you're misreading post 43 on purpose or on accident, but you're misreading it.
How so?
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:59 am

Post by GIEFF »

WARNING: WALL O' TEXT BELOW

Cliff notes:

1. MacavityLock is misinterpreting Panzer's post 43
2. I still don't buy Dourgrim's reasons for voting for me
3. A summary of the activity in this game (read this if nothing else)

-----------------------
MacavityLock wrote:Yes, exactly. In post 43, Panzer was the one to start bringing up an SK as a real threat.
Post 43 was in response to Dourgrim's post, which I'll quote below.
Dourgrim wrote:Actually, Panzer, mykonian's logic is sound, if a bit oddly stated. He says that GIEFF has information the rest of us don't (i.e. implying a role that isn't Townie) and is also going after mafia. Ergo, GIEFF can't possibly be mafia if he's trying to lynch mafia, and no one pro-Town would out themselves as a Cop or Doc or any sort of useful power role before the game even starts, ergo he must be the SK.

Now, although that logic does work, it's certainly not bulletproof; there are far too many scenarios that would explain all of this... like, for instance, the usual meaningless chatter that people use to "spice up" Day One random voting. Furthermore, the SK isn't likely to out himself either so soon in the game, so I'm not convinced...
And here is post 43:
Panzerjager wrote:@Dourgrim: SK has only one piece of info the town doesn't, and that is that SK exist. He has no information on who is scum and who is not. So Mykonian is simply saying, He wants to lynch Mafia, he must be SK lynch him. Everyone should be wanting to lynch Mafia. Also, it makes more sense to go after mafia then the SK, because SK has a chance to cross kill Mafiates.

@Goatrevolt: He is calling GIEFF anti-town, for simply wanting to lynch mafia. Therefore, mykonian is mafia.

Panzer wasn't warning the town about the SK; he was correcting Dourgrim's post about Mykonian's post, and explaining what he thought Mykonian really meant.

This is all difficult to talk about because it's hard to differentiate a poster's opinion from their explanation of Mykonian's post. I do find it fishy that Panzer assumes that I am town, though; the only people that know that are myself and the mafia.

------------------
Doursorryaboutwritingscumhereinsteadofgrim wrote:I really hate it when people change names while quoting to try and slant opinions. I haven't mangled your name once, so please show my name the same respect and stop spin doctoring the thread.
I didn't even notice that I had changed your name to Dourscum for a couple of the quotes. Sorry about that - it wasn't intentional. I wasn't quoting directly, I was just typing your name. Freud at work, I guess.
Dourgrim wrote: I believe your arguments have essentially amounted to "Why are you picking on me instead of <name>?" That's not a valid defense.
They have not amounted to this in the slightest; I say that to demonstrate that your logic is faulty. If your reasons for voting me were really what you said they were, I would not be your only target, as I am not the only person who meets your criteria.

I am not defending myself so much as I am attacking your initial reasons for voting me. My main weapon for finding scum is finding faulty reasoning behind votes. Townies actually use logic to figure out who the scum are, but because scum already know, they simply fake logic, as it isn't necessary.

It is easiest to attack logic for votes on myself than votes on others because a) I know that I am town (and attacking the logic for a vote on scum is very anti-town), and b) I don't accidentally take the focus off of another player (If I pre-emptively attack the logic behind an attack on another player, we may miss out on the attackee's response).
Dourgrim wrote:I disagree with this philosophically. Joke posts (even "meaningful" ones) can and do generate conversation, true, but so do bandwagons. How did you decide your method of generating conversation more valid than mine?
What sort of serious conversation do you expect to have in the pre-game? In the first 10 posts? Your method is the most valid, and similar to the way I play the game. But you can't start with ultra-serious mega-analysis right off the bat; there is nothing to build on. This is an easy point to realize, and one on which I think we are in agreement. It's just a matter of the phase of the game in which the posts occur.
Dourgrim wrote:Furthermore, as we appear to be proving quite well in this game, joke posts can (and oftentimes do) get misinterpreted to the detriment of the Town. It is for this reason that I generally prefer to avoid joke posting, unless I'm combining the joke with what I believe to be meaningful content, like my OMGUS in my original vote for you (see below).
Did you misinterpret my accusation of "obvscum" in the pre-game? Or talking about the sugar levels of my blood or the big-screen TV's in my wagon? Do you think these posts are more or less likely to be misinterpreted than presenting three reasons for a vote, getting called on one of them, and retroactively claiming it was a joke, but the rest of your post was not?

Joke posts are only confusing when you mix them in with serious posts, as you claim to have done in your initial vote for me.

Dourgrim wrote:Again, this may be a "generation gap" kinda thing, but in mid- to endgame situations, I've found that voting patterns in earlier Days can be a very useful tool in scumhunting. When people post without voting, it gives them an out when that pattern analysis begins... and so yes, I do think that a lack of a random vote can be an advantage for scum later. Obviously you disagree. Again, *shrug*.
I agree completely that a lack of a meaningful vote along with meaningful analysis is an advantage for scum later. We think very similarly in this regard. But we're talking about meaningless votes and meaningless posts, and I just don't see how a meaningless vote is valuable to look back at in later days.

But because two players have said this, could one of you link me to a game where you experienced this happening? If I could see a case where it actually helps the town, maybe I'll random-vote in my future games.
Dourgrim wrote:As much as I dislike your style of argument (the abovementioned name mangling), you have made certain aspects of your point, and at least you're well-spoken.
That isn't my style of argument - that was a mistake.
Dourgrim wrote:Having said all of that, I would like to unvote: GIEFF for the moment. I'm going to reread the thread with a fresh pair of eyes today and see what I see, and I'll weigh in on the situation later today.
I read this as "As my reasons for voting GIEFF were shown to be faulty and baseless, I've decided to unvote rather than continue to try to defend myself."

You won't get off that easily. It's not the fact you were voting me that bothered me, but the fact that you were using poor logic to do so. Here is your original post voting for me.
Dourgrim wrote:We have 9/12 voting so far. Not voting: GIEFF, springlullaby, dejkha

Of those three, one has posted (twice) and didn't vote. Conveniently enough, that person also has two votes on him and so could be the Day One Bandwagon-ee. And, OMGUS because he called me obvscum before I had even posted anything more than a "/confirm" in the thread.

unvote: Panzerjager

vote: GIEFF
Early pressure is understandable, and I actually took this as somewhat of a joke post. But you said later on that you were happy with this vote, even as your original reasons for voting eroded, and as you failed to present new ones.

In this light, your unvote looks like appeasement designed to stop me from questioning your reasoning any further.

-------------------------

Here is a summary of the players who haven't contributed as much to the game as the rest of us have. I know the game hasn't been going for that long, but I think this information will be useful.

Beyond_Birthday
: One serious post (72), no serious votes. No serious scumhunting attempts. This is scummy.

MacavityLock
: Three serious posts (47, 75, and 81).

47 is more information than analysis, and the logic for it is bad, as I allude to at the beginning of this post. Most of posts 75 and 81 are Mac defending himself. Other than the Panzer-SK thing (which I think is bogus), Mac has provided no original scumhunting.

militant
: No serious posts, no serious votes. [joke]Plus, I totally nailed him as scum with my pre-game epiphany.[/joke]

Mykonian
: No serious posts that were not defending himself from others' accusations. No seroius votes. No scumhunting. This is very scummy, as the excuse of inactivity doesn't apply to explain the lack of pro-town contribution.

springlullaby
: No serious posts, no serious votes. [joke]Plus, I totally nailed her as scum with my pre-game epiphany.[/joke]

subgenius
: One serious post (74), no serious votes. He did do a spot of scumhunting in this post, so I don't think his behavior should be classified as scummy; just not quite as active as the rest of us.

ting =)
: One serious post (73), no serious votes. As with subgenius, there was some scumhunting in this post.

To summarize:

MIA
:
militant
and
springlullaby
. militant has posted just once elsewhere, and springlullaby not at all, so I think this is more inactivity than actively avoiding the game.

Active lurkers
(posting but no attempts at scumhunting):
Beyond_Birthday
MacavityLock
Mykonian

Light contributors
:
subgenius
ting =)

I think the Active Lurker group is the scummiest, but all the above players should pick up their activity a bit in the coming days, or risk my swift and furious wrath.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:16 am

Post by GIEFF »

Here are the results of the voting history script I run. If this is just too much clutter or not helpful, let me know and I won't do it again. I usually run it every few pages in my games, or at critical decision points.

By Chronology
:
Post Number
Poster
Vote
Post 19
Panzerjager
Vote:GIEFF
Post 20
Goatrevolt
Vote: Panzerjager
Post 24
mykonian
vote GIEFF
Post 25
militant
Vote ting =)
Post 26
ting =)
Vote: MacavityLock
Post 27
MacavityLock
Vote: Dourgrim
Post 28
Dourgrim
vote: Panzerjager
Post 29
subgenius
vote:Militant
Post 31
Beyond_Birthday
Vote mykonian
Post 33
Dourgrim
unvote: Panzerjager <BR><BR>vote: GIEFF
Post 36
Panzerjager
Unvote, Vote:Mykonian
Post 38
ting =)
unvote. Vote:Panzerjager
Post 39
springlullaby
Vote subgenius
Post 40
Dourgrim
FoS: springlullaby
Post 44
Panzerjager
FoS:Ting
Post 46
dejkha
Post 47
MacavityLock
Unvote: Dour. Vote: Panzer
Post 54
GIEFF
Vote: Dourgrim
Post 55
mykonian
unvote vote GIEFF
Post 71
Beyond_Birthday
Unvotes
Post 77
Goatrevolt
Post 80
Dourgrim
unvote: GIEFF

By Character
:
Panzerjager

Vote:GIEFF Post 19
Unvote, Vote:Mykonian Post 36
FoS:Ting Post 44

Goatrevolt

Vote: Panzerjager Post 20
Unvote, Vote MacavityLock Post 77

mykonian

vote GIEFF Post 24
unvote, vote GIEFF Post 55

militant

Vote ting =) Post 25

ting =)

Vote: MacavityLock Post 26
unvote. Vote:Panzerjager Post 38

MacavityLock

Vote: Dourgrim Post 27
Unvote: Dour. Vote: Panzer Post 47

Dourgrim

vote: Panzerjager Post 28
unvote: Panzerjager <BR><BR>vote: GIEFF Post 33
FoS: springlullaby Post 40
unvote: GIEFF Post 80

subgenius

vote:Militant Post 29

Beyond_Birthday

Vote mykonian Post 31
Unvotes Post 71

springlullaby

Vote subgenius Post 39

dejkha

FoS: Dourgrim Post 46

GIEFF

Vote: Dourgrim Post 54
MacavityLock
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
MacavityLock
Impin' Ain't Easy
Impin' Ain't Easy

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:58 am

Post by MacavityLock »

@GIEFF: The game started 36 hours ago, and we're on page 4. Don't you think it's early to use the "active lurker" card? I know that I have more time for Mafia games on the weekend, so that's usually when I make my big posts.

As for 43, that's your interpretation of it. I do see what you're saying though and will definitely keep this in mind for my more in-depth reads.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:51 am

Post by GIEFF »

It's only been 36 hours, which is why I think active lurking is scummier than just not posting. If you're posting but not providing any content, then it looks like you're posting just to avoid suspicion, as opposed to posting to help the town.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 am

Post by Dourgrim »

GIEFF wrote:It's only been 36 hours, which is why I think active lurking is scummier than just not posting. If you're posting but not providing any content, then it looks like you're posting just to avoid suspicion, as opposed to posting to help the town.
Is it just me, or does this sound just like what I was originally saying when I voted for GIEFF way back when?
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:08 am

Post by GIEFF »

Dourgrim wrote:
GIEFF wrote:It's only been 36 hours, which is why I think active lurking is scummier than just not posting. If you're posting but not providing any content, then it looks like you're posting just to avoid suspicion, as opposed to posting to help the town.
Is it just me, or does this sound just like what I was originally saying when I voted for GIEFF way back when?
The difference is that you said it during the random/joke-vote stage when there had been no other meaningful content. But other than that, yes, very similar.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 am

Post by PJ. »

Goatrevolt, I knew it was a joke but the way he said it and exactly what he said struck a wrong chord.

@MacavityLock, You mainly voting me for a difference of plastyle, a different point of view does not make me scummy, not really much else I can say about this.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 am

Post by GIEFF »

Panzerjager wrote:Goatrevolt, I knew it was a joke but the way he said it and exactly what he said struck a wrong chord.
Revisionist history. Here is what you said:

Panzerjager wrote:Also Mykonian, We should ALL want to lynch mafia.
Unvote, Vote:Mykonian

For not wanting to lynch mafia. I'm pretty sure this is a huge scum slip.
Are you claiming that this post by you was a joke? It sure looked serious to me.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am

Post by mykonian »

I have heard this before. Pretty much every game that I start from the beginning. I don't like this part of the game. But lets see what I can do for you.

About pantzers early game: it is undoubtely protown. But on the other hand, it barely can hurt scum. I don't know how panzer starts his games normally.

Dourgrim is quite eager to defend my (wrong) random vote logic.

then a lot of talk about GIEFF's "early mafia" too much talk about a little thing, I think.

I don't care if someone doesn't random vote: GIEFF is busy enough. I must say, I like post 54.

Dourgrim and GIEFF are talking a lot, and I can't see the point.

Ting's post 73 is a reasonable voice in the mess before that. I like it. But I have the feeling that is just Ting's normal state. I like it anyway.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am

Post by PJ. »

No That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I know his tried to be funny but he let loose a slip.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 am

Post by GIEFF »

Panzerjager wrote:No That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I know his tried to be funny but he let loose a slip.
If you think it's a joke post, then why did you assume he didn't want to lynch mafia?

I agree that the first person to mention anything about a serial killer is more likely to actually be the serial killer, but only marginally so.
Panzerjager wrote:@Goatrevolt: He is calling GIEFF anti-town, for simply wanting to lynch mafia. Therefore, mykonian is mafia.
This is another post by you that seems to indicate you took mykonian's vote seriously. If you thought it was a joke-post, you wouldn't think he was really calling me anti-town.

You didn't realize he was trying to be funny; you thought he was really calling me anti-town. This is abundantly clear based on your past posts.

And you just lied about it.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 am

Post by mykonian »

Panzerjager wrote:No That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I know his tried to be funny but he let loose a slip.
What was exactly the slip? That the fact that that post said "that it was antitown to want to lynch the mafia"?

If you read it, it says that it is antitown to know the mafia that early.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Post by PJ. »

How? Unless he is part of the mafia, no one can know the whole scum right now.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

mykonian wrote:Dourgrim is quite eager to defend my (wrong) random vote logic.
This is an overstatement, apparently meant to deflect Panzer's attention back toward me, especially when you follow it with:
mykonian wrote:Dourgrim and GIEFF are talking a lot, and I can't see the point.
@mykonian: To clarify once again: if all posts in thread were to be taken at face value, your logic had some merit; not a LOT of merit, but some. Since we've had a very long discussion about jokes vs. serious posts, and since you backpedaled after my defense of your logic was shot down unmercifully by GIEFF, why continue to try to draw attention to the conversation?

To be blunt, I don't particularly like GIEFF's condescending tone in his posts, as in:
GIEFF wrote:I read this as "As my reasons for voting GIEFF were shown to be faulty and baseless, I've decided to unvote rather than continue to try to defend myself."

You won't get off that easily. It's not the fact you were voting me that bothered me, but the fact that you were using poor logic to do so.
...nor am I fond of his "accidental" spin-doctoring; however, he makes good points from time to time. He was partially correct in his analysis of my vote, and I believe he's correct in pointing out Panzer's mistake. However, you calling Panzer's early game "undoubtedly protown" is iffy at best. Why do you seem to be defending Panzer?

Also, add in my earlier statement about voting pattern analysis in late game. Panzer votes for you straight away, then you defend... but late game, both of you have some plausible deniability later. It
could
point to scum covering for each other.

Combined with the deflection above, I'm going to
FoS: mykonian
and
vote: Panzer
. I'm sure this will end up being interpreted by GIEFF as me trying to deflect, or backpedal, or whatever, but remember this: if I were truly deflecting, why would I bring up all of this other garbage to make my point?
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Post by GIEFF »

Dourgrim wrote:To be blunt, I don't particularly like GIEFF's condescending tone in his posts
I wasn't trying to be condescending; sorry if it came off that way.

Dourgrim wrote:...nor am I fond of his "accidental" spin-doctoring
It was accidental. I was thinking you were scum while typing, and I mistyped twice. I will be extra careful from here on out. Let's drop this.

The above two quotes appear to me as if you are trying to make this emotional; let's keep it based on facts. When we start voting with emotion, the scum win. I am not trying to upset you.
Dourgrim wrote:However, you calling Panzer's early game "undoubtedly protown" is iffy at best. Why do you seem to be defending Panzer?
This is @mykonian, not me. I know you and I both know that, Dourgrim, just making sure everyone else does, too. I agree that it's an odd thing to say.

Dourgrim wrote:Combined with the deflection above, I'm going to FoS: mykonian and vote: Panzer. I'm sure this will end up being interpreted by GIEFF as me trying to deflect, or backpedal, or whatever, but remember this: if I were truly deflecting, why would I bring up all of this other garbage to make my point?
I'm glad you voted even though you thought I might find it scummy. I only think unvoting me is appeasement because you haven't convinced me that you really did think the reasons you presented for voting for me were valid.

You don't even have to convince me that they really are valid; just that you thought they were. Unvoting me before this is resolved looks like you are hoping I drop the subject. But I will not drop it, as the vote on me wasn't the issue; the logic behind it was.

--------------------------------
Panzerjager wrote:How? Unless he is part of the mafia, no one can know the whole scum right now.
How what? How are you lying?

You said you knew mykonian's post was a joke, yet your subsequent reactions to it prove beyond a doubt that you took it seriously.

FOS Panzerjager
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by springlullaby »

dejkha wrote:
Dourgrim wrote:We have 9/12 voting so far. Not voting: GIEFF, springlullaby, dejkha

Of those three, one has posted (twice) and didn't vote. Conveniently enough, that person also has two votes on him and so could be the Day One Bandwagon-ee. And, OMGUS because he called me obvscum before I had even posted anything more than a "/confirm" in the thread.

unvote: Panzerjager

vote: GIEFF
Sounds like you're overreacting way to much to what seemed like an obvious joke (calling you and two others obvscum is his confirm post).
Dourgrim wrote:Hmmm... so springlullaby suddenly appears on the scene after I note she hasn't posted, and then casts a meaningless vote (or at least it looks meaningless due to lack of explanation) after I criticize GIEFF for not voting while posting, despite there actually being a debate of sorts going on. Odd, somewhat suspicious, and definitely not helpful.

FoS: springlullaby
This also looks like you're overreacting. What it looked like to me, was Springlullaby casted a random vote and that's all. This is my first time posting since I confirmed and if I joke voted, would you be on my case because it was after you said I haven't voted? This is the first chance I had to post in the game since day one started. Ever think the same for her?

because this early you seem awfully eager to write people off as possible scum for things with obvious explanations.
Vote djekha

The quote post above is a variation OMGUS: suspect someone by seemingly defending someone else for an action one has/is going to commit, the effect of which is to justify one's action.

This is further scummy because, if it is my prerogative to play as I wish, I certainly don't see anything remotely recommendable in my random vote. It is also scummy because accusing someone of being 'too eager' in the random stage is piss poor play and just plain scummy.

I have read the last pages or so. My comment on them is that I don't particularly like the dynamic of this town, there is plenty of talk and speculation but not enough true aggressiveness IMO. Note here that the SK talk may be interesting in the future but not now. Right now I would like to suggest more focused fire, starting now with a djekha wagon for example.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Unvote, vote djekha
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by mykonian »

Dourgrim wrote:
mykonian wrote:Dourgrim is quite eager to defend my (wrong) random vote logic.
This is an overstatement, apparently meant to deflect Panzer's attention back toward me, especially when you follow it with:
mykonian wrote:Dourgrim and GIEFF are talking a lot, and I can't see the point.
@mykonian: To clarify once again: if all posts in thread were to be taken at face value, your logic had some merit; not a LOT of merit, but some. Since we've had a very long discussion about jokes vs. serious posts, and since you backpedaled after my defense of your logic was shot down unmercifully by GIEFF, why continue to try to draw attention to the conversation?
Because I have no idea why you would try to explain my wrong logic for a random vote.

To be blunt, I don't particularly like GIEFF's condescending tone in his posts, as in:
GIEFF wrote:I read this as "As my reasons for voting GIEFF were shown to be faulty and baseless, I've decided to unvote rather than continue to try to defend myself."
However, you calling Panzer's early game "undoubtedly protown" is iffy at best. Why do you seem to be defending Panzer?
since when is panzer under attack? I think panzer did a good try to get this game active, in stead what you and GIEFF are doing. You are talking about how he changed your name (oh no, how scummy!), and you are making big posts about that stuff. It doesn't get you anywhere.
Combined with the deflection above, I'm going to
FoS: mykonian
and
vote: Panzer
. I'm sure this will end up being interpreted by GIEFF as me trying to deflect, or backpedal, or whatever, but remember this: if I were truly deflecting, why would I bring up all of this other garbage to make my point?
How do you ever get to the point that this must be distancing? Someone makes a valid point, and probably the one that created some discussion, and you manage to make from possibly the most protown statement till now a scumtell.

Brilliant.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”