ITT we fawn over pretty girls

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Which is more demeaning?

Being told you're beautiful
14%
Being told you're downright unnatractive
86%

Total votes: 83

Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:58 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

We're all nerds here, I thought we already established that >.<
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:59 am

Post by JDodge »

populartajo wrote:
JDodge wrote:
populartajo wrote:THERE WAS NO FUCKING REASON TO GENERALIZE PEOPLE.

He could say : "I said no names" in a coward attempt to avoid responsibility but there was no reason to say people commenting on nice pics of a girl are sexually frustrated and that the majority of the girls of the site are ugly.

Even more, there was no reason to call me virgin nerd that jacks off with alpacas (LOL).´I find these things hilarious but Shea did it with other obvious intentions.

This only to show you the kind of person you are defending regardless of the situation.
You take offense at being called a virgin - yep, you def. are one. You spend a large portion of your time on the internet - that makes you a nerd. So two out of three are true.
You are being retarded on purpose, right?
There is no reason to take offense at being called a virgin unless you actually are one who is too socially awkward to actually get any.
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:59 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:Elvis, let it go.
I'm defending your right to tell girls they are pretty, dammit. Work with me here...
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 am

Post by Green Crayons »

elvis wrote:I haven't seen one good explanation for why tajo saying someone is beautiful is somehow bad or wrong.
There are examples, all to be found in that thread. It isn't that someone made a compliment, it's that tajo (and others) consistently excessively fawn over girls in the photo thread like a bunch of dogs in heat. While the type and range of compliments vary, compounded together they become a swarm of horny gnats, who attempt to excuse their excessive and obnoxious behavior behind a veil of "compliments."
elvis wrote:I haven't seen one good explanation for how saying "most of the girls who post in this thread are downright unnatractive" is not an insult.
It is an insult, but Shea's excusing it in such a way that he wasn't being universal, therefore anyone who takes issue with this statement is making the assumption that he is speaking of them specifically. Thus, the individual applies the insult to themself without any additional help from Shea - he just throws it out there. Even if you want to accept that premise (which I do), it doesn't preclude you from also accepting the fact that Shea's simultaneously being a jackass (which I also do). But Shea's just being honest and giving his opinion of the same girls and women who countless other guys have complimented - sometimes with genuine restraint, sometimes excessively (and thus perhaps an indicator of the hormonal gensis of their praises). To make this thread about demonizing Shea's honest comments is to suggest that we should shame him into not exercising his ability to provide a legitimate counter-balance to other opinions voiced in this forum. Which, when considering the main thrust of this place is to play Mafia, seems counterintuitive. To say the least.
elvis wrote:My point is that Shea has some problem with tajo and others telling a girl she's pretty.
The way, manner and extent. Not so much the actual act.
elvis wrote:While making his point, he said most of the girls in the thread are unattractive. That is a far bigger insult.
But the two aren't meant to be comparitive. And when you do compare one with the other, you're giving legitimacy to people like tajo who think showering girls on the internet with praise just because they see a single picture is okay. By saying one is worse, that must make the other legitimate - right? It's failed logic, but tajo has already expressed it himself in this very thread.
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent." In re Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009) (Scalia, J., dissenting).
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 am

Post by crywolf20084 »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:We're all nerds here, I thought we already established that >.<
Or at least we should have...
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

GlorkTheInvader: GET UP ONTO SEXY ROSS'S BACK
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 am

Post by PokerFace »

I don't see how the first one could be seen as an insult so the second option is the only logical choice.
PokerFace wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:
Thestatusquo wrote:For the most part, with a very few exceptions, every girl who has ever posted in this thread is at best slightly above average, and
most of them are downright unattractive
How is this not an insult?
Well I don't see a pic of you Elvis in the face with a name thread.

I think most of the girls in that thread are alright. Some are pretty goodlooking and nobody here is ugly as sin.
I admit to not being attracted to some of them since I'm not a pervert that wants to go to jail. People like that got problems and should be locked up. ABR's here I wonder wheres Mos?
Last edited by PokerFace on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
populartajo
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
populartajo
Alpaca Caliente
Alpaca Caliente

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 am

Post by populartajo »

it's that tajo (and others) consistently excessively fawn over girls in the photo thread like a bunch of dogs in heat
PLEASE SHOW ME WHEN THE FUCK DID I EXCESSIVELY FAWN OVER GIRLS IN THE PHOTO THREAD LIKE A DOG IN HEAT?
Call me Tajo.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12894
Coming summer 2010: Tajo's Starcraft Mafia.
Tajo's MagictheGathering Mafia
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:06 am

Post by elvis_knits »

I think most of the people in this thread are sick freaks who kick puppies.

Nobody can be offended because I didn't name any names. If you take offense you are admitting you are a sick freak who kicks puppies. Also, I'm just being honest.

Love me!
Talk nerdy to me.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -Joseph Campbell
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:07 am

Post by Ether »

Voted beautiful, though that's only the truer option from guys who aren't related to me--especially face to face where everything I do shows off my appearance, instead of one specific thread designed for it. Really, anything stronger than "hot" freaks me out. (I would not object to "pretty" or other synonyms on that level. Not sure exactly what Elvis is asking here.)

Ugly's an intentional insult, but not one I take seriously enough to be bothered. It's not a matter of political correctness or anything like that.

Somewhere outside of this thread someone will crack a joke based on this post and it won't be funny.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:09 am

Keep in mind that Ether is
severely below average in terms of attractiveness
plain looking.
Last edited by Albert B. Rampage on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 am

Post by farside22 »

JDodge wrote:
populartajo wrote:
JDodge wrote:

He could say : "I said no names" in a coward attempt to avoid responsibility but there was no reason to say people commenting on nice pics of a girl are sexually frustrated and that the majority of the girls of the site are ugly.

Even more, there was no reason to call me virgin nerd that jacks off with alpacas (LOL).´I find these things hilarious but Shea did it with other obvious intentions.

This only to show you the kind of person you are defending regardless of the situation.
You take offense at being called a virgin - yep, you def. are one. You spend a large portion of your time on the internet - that makes you a nerd. So two out of three are true.
There is no reason to take offense at being called a virgin unless you actually are one who is too socially awkward to actually get any.
I find JD line of thought on the subject illogical.
If you call someone ugly to there face and they get offended it doesn't mean they are ugly they are most likely offended at the comment.
If someone says something hurtful to be a dick people are going to be offended.
I could go on but I'm sure you will just say that everything people are offened about must be true instead of people having feelings at all.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:12 am

Post by Brandi »

I love you Elvis! I have never seen a picture of you and thus I am forced to believe that you are in fact the cute puppy in your avatar. And who couldn't love thaaaaaaaat. Also I voted the second option. =P
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 am

Post by Korts »

elvis_knits wrote:I think most of the people in this thread are sick freaks who kick puppies.

Nobody can be offended because I didn't name any names. If you take offense you are admitting you are a sick freak who kicks puppies. Also, I'm just being honest.

Love me!
I'm a sick freak who kicks cats, does that count?
scumchat never die
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 am

Post by Green Crayons »

elvis_knits wrote:I think most of the people in this thread are sick freaks who kick puppies.

Love me!
See, you think you're making your point but you've made mine/Shea's/JDodge's(?). That statement shouldn't offend anyone here - there's no reason for anyone to think that it's being addressed specifically at them. It's an opinion of the quality of most of the people who post in this thread, and one that's even less subjective than Shea's. If anyone takes offense to an opinion that just so happens to also be a general insult when there's no indicator as to who that opinion is being specifically directed to, the fault is with the individual for making the assumption that they are the one being insulted.
farside wrote:I find JD line of thought on the subject illogical.
If you call someone ugly to there face and they get offended it doesn't mean they are ugly they are most likely offended at the comment.

I could go on but I'm sure you will just say that everything people are offened about must be true instead of people having feelings at all.
I agree with the above absent the bolded portion. And even then, I agree with it but it has no bearing on Shea's comment about his opinion about the appearance of the majority of females who post their pictures so I find it to be irrelevant to the conversation.
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent." In re Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009) (Scalia, J., dissenting).
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 am

Green Crayons wrote:

Love me!
See, you think you're making your point but you've made mine/Shea's/JDodge's(?). That statement shouldn't offend anyone here - there's no reason for anyone to think that it's being addressed specifically at them. It's an opinion of the quality of most of the people who post in this thread, and one that's even less subjective than Shea's. If anyone takes offense to an opinion that just so happens to also be a general insult when there's no indicator as to who that opinion is being specifically directed to, the fault is with the individual for making the assumption that they are the one being insulted.
Satire. It was satire.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:25 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Green Crayons wrote:

Love me!
Are you an android/robot?
Talk nerdy to me.

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 am

Post by JDodge »

farside22 wrote:
JDodge wrote:
populartajo wrote:
JDodge wrote:

The issue being that virgin is not necessarily hurtful.
stream

Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 am

Post by Green Crayons »

Albert: Yes, it was an attempt. Satire is used to make a point. Usually your own. Satire backfires when it's making your opposition's point without actually showing how it fails. Which she did: failed to show how my point was illogical or wrong or whatever.

elvis: Only if you're an overly emotional woman who has fallen victim to androcentric hegemony. I tend to think higher of both of us.
elvis_knits
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
elvis_knits
Queen of Rock'n'Purl
Queen of Rock'n'Purl

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 am

Post by elvis_knits »

Look, I don't care about that part, but Shea clearly meant virgin as an insult. So why shouldn't tajo take it as one?
Talk nerdy to me.

JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 am

Post by JDodge »

elvis_knits wrote:Look, I don't care about that part, but Shea clearly meant virgin as an insult. So why shouldn't tajo take it as one?
He meant virgin in the context of his argument. You really haven't actually read what you're talking about, have you? All you ever seem to see in any debate I've ever seen is your valiant, great and all-powerful side v. the warped, twisted, evil, mean side that you're up against. It's not all black and white. Not every argument is meant as an insult.
stream

Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 am

elvis_knits wrote:
Albert B. Rampage wrote:Elvis, let it go.
I'm defending your right to tell girls they are pretty, dammit. Work with me here...
lol I will quote the great Malcolm X:

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
Ythill
Ythill
Fabio
Ythill
Fabio
Fabio

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:47 am

Post by Ythill »

This poll is short-sighted. I think it is most demeaning to be lied to. Sure, it's probably not a good idea to go around telling people they are ugly out of the blue but if it comes up in conversation a lie is going to hurt more than the truth in the long run.

Girls get so hung up on physical appearence, and I understand that this is as much the fault of the media and the sensibilities of men as it is the fault of women, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Every one of the women I've met on this site is of above average intelligence. Many are successful or gearing up to be. Many are strong-willed and think outside the box. Some are attractive, some are not. What's the big deal?

And honestly, you've got to expect that most people (girls and guys) who post here will not be physically attractive. Why? Like ABR said, we're all nerds here. I don't know about the rest of you but, IME, being average-looking means that I am the Fabio of the D&D group, if you know what I mean. And internet nerds are the worst because sitting on our butts indoors makes us pale and doughy, which is only attractive on a marshmellow.
Record:
Town 10W/15L
Scum 4W/1L
Other 2W/2L
Newbie 1L

"So yeah, it is a sign from the angels." ~CooLDoG
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:52 am

Post by farside22 »

JDodge wrote:
farside22 wrote:
JDodge wrote:
populartajo wrote:
JDodge wrote:

The issue being that virgin is not necessarily hurtful.
I don't know the male perspective on this. I hear stories about being called a virgin and how men react to the statement.
Women on the other hand well it a case by case study.
Some are happy to be called virgins. Some are insulted. Some will laugh at you for said statement.
Usually virgin isn't an insult from a female point of view but I know most get insulted by being called a slut.

I say ask multiple men what they think if someone said what TSQ said and ask how they would react.

Personally I found it insulting.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:56 am

Post by mykonian »

Korts wrote:I won't vote in this poll, because it's not a good representation of the choices at all. In fact I think it's rather odd to call someone "beautiful" or "downright unattractive" in conversation at all.
Well said Korts, can't do it better.

Things are only made more extreme in this discussion, while I felt there was little need to.
crywolf20084
crywolf20084
Cayke
crywolf20084
Cayke
Cayke

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:04 am

Post by crywolf20084 »

farside wrote:I don't know the male perspective on this. I hear stories about being called a virgin and how men react to the statement.
Women on the other hand well it a case by case study.
Some are happy to be called virgins. Some are insulted. Some will laugh at you for said statement.
Usually virgin isn't an insult from a female point of view
but I know most get insulted by being called a slut.

I say ask multiple men what they think if someone said what TSQ said and ask how they would react.

Personally I found it insulting.
I agree with all of this especially the bolded part.

And to that bolded person, I have never met a woman be offended by being called a virgin, unless they dress like a whore to the point that no one wants to sleep with them (then I just laugh).

There is a reason why some call down there a flower, or sacred. Most women want sex with feelings, not for the sake of losing their virginity.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

GlorkTheInvader: GET UP ONTO SEXY ROSS'S BACK

Return to “General Discussion”