Newbie 807 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:52 am

Post by CancerBottle »

FatedLunar wrote:What's EBWOP? I'm learning quite a bit about play here from the wiki, but never came across that one before.
Edit By Way Of Post

See, we're not allowed to edit our posts, so if you want to fix something, just make the correction in another post.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston Churchill
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Vote Count

CancerBottle (1) ChannelDelibird

Kichirou (1) Kard8p3
ChannelDelibird (1) CancerBottle
Kard8p3 (1) dothefandango

Not voting (5) crazypianist1116, Kichirou, FatedLunar, bgg1996, FoShizzle

With 9 alive, 5 to lynch.
Last edited by Xtoxm on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Kard8p3
Kard8p3
Townie
Kard8p3
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 am

Post by Kard8p3 »

CancerBottle wrote:
Kard8p3 wrote:
CancerBottle wrote:
ChannelDelibird wrote:
Kard8p3 wrote:Are you suggesting that I would deliberately do something that might be suspicious as town in the past so that I could do it again as scum and be able to give evidence that it's something I do as town?
This is a bit of a reach, don't you think? I mean, I don't see Kard suggesting that you have deliberately played scummy as town in a previous game, only to be able to cite that playstyle in other games.
Indeed, besides it's possible that he is a scum, but he did not deliberately play that way in previous games, so he's using this to his advantage. Or maybe I'm looking to much into this; either way, I'm sure I'm wrong somehow.
Well, we all have games in which we are terrible Townies. But I don't use those games to excuse scummy behavior.

In any event, metas have very limited use for scumhunting in my opinion.
True, and like I said, I'm probably wrong.
Kichirou
Kichirou
Townie
Kichirou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am

Post by Kichirou »

I'm confused and totaly new to this so...
I vote ChannelDelibird
Isn't it the brevity of the flame that makes it beautiful?
CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:01 pm

Post by CancerBottle »

Kichirou wrote:I'm confused and totaly new to this so...
I vote ChannelDelibird
Any reason in particular?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston Churchill
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

The intent is clear, so that vote counts, but please use the bold tags when voting:

Code: Select all

[b]Vote Player[/b]
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
FatedLunar
FatedLunar
Townie
FatedLunar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Post by FatedLunar »

We're all pretty much new to this, except the SE's and IC's, so no worries Kichirou. Nice to meet you though.
Kard8p3
Kard8p3
Townie
Kard8p3
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by Kard8p3 »

Indeed, nice to meet you Kichirou.

a bit off topic but... anyone hear about MJ dieing?
CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by CancerBottle »

Yup, nice to meet all of you. Mafia is always better with new people.

I did hear about his death. My dad is much more phased by it than I am. But let's try to keep the chatter game-related.
FoShizzle
FoShizzle
Goon
FoShizzle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Post by FoShizzle »

Hello everybody. I'm excited to play with you guys. Especially since I'm considered "experienced" now... lol. Like ChannelDelibird said, I will give advice and answer questions as needed... although I don't claim to be an expert at this game by any means. :)

I will start with a "random"
Vote: crazypianist1116
for coming into the game without contributing anything, even a random vote.
CancerBottle wrote:In any event, metas have very limited use for scumhunting in my opinion.
I have to disagree with this. I think metas can be very useful, they should just be used with caution. People's playstyles can change drastically between games as they learn and develop their own style. I often look at people's past games and meta, although I don't think I can do that with many people this game, with all you newbies.

I would like to add that I am very shocked about Michael Jackson's death.
FoShizzle
FoShizzle
Goon
FoShizzle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Post by FoShizzle »

ChannelDelibird wrote: Regarding the quote itself, I just wanted to make sure that nobody gets the wrong impression that the IC is some kind of specifically-town adviser, that they have to look at me just like any other player, and the assurance that I'm not scum was just me joking around. If you'd like I can go and find a couple of newbie games where I've said that as town.
Sure, I'd like to see those newbie games. :wink:
Kard8p3
Kard8p3
Townie
Kard8p3
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Post by Kard8p3 »

Hmm, who hasn't posted so far? Just bgg1996? I wonder if s/he's lurking, or just not here?
FatedLunar
FatedLunar
Townie
FatedLunar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by FatedLunar »

What's this "meta" thing you guys are referring to? *confused*

I have to agree with FoShizzle though in that people's playstyles do change over time, as they improve in the game. (not like it matters in this game so much, since most of us are new).
Kard8p3
Kard8p3
Townie
Kard8p3
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Post by Kard8p3 »

CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Post by CancerBottle »

FatedLunar wrote:What's this "meta" thing you guys are referring to? *confused*

I have to agree with FoShizzle though in that people's
playstyles do change over time, as they improve in the game
. (not like it matters in this game so much, since most of us are new).
I'll use this post to respond to FoShizzle. Note the bold.

That's exactly it. Part of improving one's play is not displaying a drastic difference in playstyles when playing town or scum. So, when examining a player's early games, you might distinguish differences between that player's behavior as scum and behavior as town. However, I've found that most players begin to adopt a "standardized" playstyle for the game, used when scum and town. So, while I agree metas
can
be developed on players, they aren't really that practical to implement, unless you are good at discerning the ultra fine nuances of a person's playstyle. And as I am unable to do this, and feel most people can't either, I don't believe metas are very effective for scumhunting.
bgg1996
bgg1996
Goon
bgg1996
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Post by bgg1996 »

I vote ChannelDelibird.
People both love and hate me... Without the 'love' part.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

FoShizzle wrote:
ChannelDelibird wrote: Regarding the quote itself, I just wanted to make sure that nobody gets the wrong impression that the IC is some kind of specifically-town adviser, that they have to look at me just like any other player, and the assurance that I'm not scum was just me joking around. If you'd like I can go and find a couple of newbie games where I've said that as town.
Sure, I'd like to see those newbie games. :wink:
OK then. I used to, as an IC, start my first posts by posting three lessons for the newbies, and always added and
n
th rule at the bottom. See these games, in which I was town (link takes you straight to the post in question):

viewtopic.php?p=501949#501949

viewtopic.php?p=531437#531437

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21#620321]

That should get my point across.

--------------------------------
CancerBottle wrote:This is a bit of a reach, don't you think? I mean, I don't see Kard suggesting that you have deliberately played scummy as town in a previous game, only to be able to cite that playstyle in other games.
You don't see him doing that? A couple of posts before the above quote, he responded to me asking him if he was suggesting that, and he said:
Kard wrote: I do indeed believe you could have deliberately done that, but I could be(and most likely am) wrong. I will just have to wait to find out.
So Kard, I would like to make it clear that I consider it bad form to play deliberately badly in some games to try and get some benefit in a future game. I play each game to the best of my ability.
Kard wrote:Indeed, besides it's possible that he is a scum, but he did not deliberately play that way in previous games, so he's using this to his advantage. Or maybe I'm looking to much into this; either way, I'm sure I'm wrong somehow.
I know I'm biased in this case, but I think you're reading too much into it. Which is tempting - it's day 1, there's not a lot to go on - but not really important.
FoShizzle wrote:I have to disagree with this. I think metas can be very useful, they should just be used with caution. People's playstyles can change drastically between games as they learn and develop their own style. I often look at people's past games and meta, although I don't think I can do that with many people this game, with all you newbies.
This is true, but though this is probably the wrong kind of game to bring it up, the greatest change in playstyle is usually in a player's first few games. Having been here a lot longer, my playstyle has become pretty standardised, I think.

However, I don't think it's really fair of me to make a big thing out of my meta in this game when the majority of players here don't have a meta yet. So, I will try to ignore it in this game and just respond to things based on this game alone.
Kmd wrote:Hmm, who hasn't posted so far? Just bgg1996? I wonder if s/he's lurking, or just not here?
Don't worry, the pace is a little slower than that yet. Lurking isn't usually considered until someone doesn't post for at least three days or so. (On the other hand, "active lurking" is something you can look out for - when someone posts just enough to look active but isn't actually saying anything)

---------------------

bgg - the mod will usually only accept votes in the format "Vote: Player" (no quotes). Welcome to the game. Is your vote a random one?
#greenshirtthursdays
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Gah, stupid URL tags. X_X

Tag fixed - Mod.
#greenshirtthursdays
Kard8p3
Kard8p3
Townie
Kard8p3
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Post by Kard8p3 »

CDB, I did not outright say "I think you did that on purpose" I said there was a possibility that played like that, knowing you could use that to your advantage later.

and I apologize for jumping to conclusion, if someone says something that I might believe to be a bit scummy, I tend to read into it a bit.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Kard8p3 wrote:CDB, I did not outright say "I think you did that on purpose" I said there was a possibility that played like that, knowing you could use that to your advantage later.
I know. I tried to word my post to make it clear that I was responding to the possibility, rather than an outright accusation.
#greenshirtthursdays
CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 am

Post by CancerBottle »

ChannelDelibird wrote:
CancerBottle wrote:This is a bit of a reach, don't you think? I mean, I don't see Kard suggesting that you have deliberately played scummy as town in a previous game, only to be able to cite that playstyle in other games.
You don't see him doing that? A couple of posts before the above quote, he responded to me asking him if he was suggesting that, and he said:
Really? You put the meta tactic out there first. Which, for reasons already stated in this thread, is dubious. Yet, you frame Kard's suspicions with this dubious tactic, thus weakening his suspicions.

And again, Kard's response was not a conformation he felt you were using the meta tactic.
CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:20 am

Post by CancerBottle »

bgg1996 wrote:
I vote ChannelDelibird.
[sarcasm]Be wary of those who lynch and leave.[/sarcasm]

Voting and departing looks suspicious. What exactly inspired your vote?
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:43 am

CancerBottle wrote:
ChannelDelibird wrote:
Really? You put the meta tactic out there first. Which, for reasons already stated in this thread, is dubious. Yet, you frame Kard's suspicions with this dubious tactic, thus weakening his suspicions.
I mentioned the meta "tactic" of playing suboptimally in the past to gain an advantage in the future because I thought that was what he was implying in his post. Let's take another look at that post:
Kard wrote:Nah, you don't have to link me, as you could be a scum, therefore, if someone pointed out what you said, you could simply link them to old games to throw them off your trail.
Maybe I've misinterpreted here. I thought this was suggesting that I might have
planned
my behaviour as town in the past so that I could engineer some future advantage as scum (mainly the phrase "throw them off your trail" was what put that in my mind). But I guess it could just mean that in this game particularly I might be scum and I am deliberately throwing in things I do as town to make me look town. Is that what you meant by this post, Kard?

If that
is
the correct interpretation, firstly, my apologies, and secondly, I'm not really sure what the point is you're trying to make. Surely the whole point of being scum is trying to do things that make you look town, but those things make you look town because they're normally done by town. So it's unfair to suggest that I might be scum because I'm doing something I normally do as town, because it suggests I'm town as much (if not more) than it suggests I'm scum. Scumhunting is about looking for things that are more likely to come from scum than they are from town, and I don't think you can make that argument here.

Hope that's clear.
#greenshirtthursdays
CancerBottle
CancerBottle
Goon
CancerBottle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:15 am

Post by CancerBottle »

The problem I have with your interpretations is they undermine Kard's suspicions by insinuating his reasoning is silly and unreasonable, which it isn't. If you are scum, then this would provide you a base on which to rally a lynch on him later in the game.

I'm not suggesting you're doing things you'd normally do as town, I'm suggesting you're trying to attribute a line of thought that is scummy to another player, thus making that player look scummy.

And attributing scummy reasoning to another player, especially when it isn't there, is scummy. If that makes any sense.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:43 am

CancerBottle wrote:The problem I have with your interpretations is they undermine Kard's suspicions by insinuating his reasoning is silly and unreasonable, which it isn't. If you are scum, then this would provide you a base on which to rally a lynch on him later in the game.

I'm not suggesting you're doing things you'd normally do as town, I'm suggesting you're trying to attribute a line of thought that is scummy to another player, thus making that player look scummy.

And attributing scummy reasoning to another player, especially when it isn't there, is scummy. If that makes any sense.
This point might be stronger if I was voting for Kard right now, but I'm not. My motivation for discussing this in the first place was a) to defend myself against a FoS and b) to defend my integrity as a player my making it clear I wouldn't intentionally play any less than my best game in past games in order to gain an advantage now.

You say you don't think Kard's reasoning is unreasonable,
why
? I just made a post about why I felt, whether or not I misinterpreted his post, the FoS was unfair. Is my logic flawed?
#greenshirtthursdays

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”