Newbie 817 (Game over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:25 am

Post by crazypianist1116 »

iamusername wrote:P.S. crazypianist, what do you think of Starbuck?
Starbuck's a good player. Her points are all valid and I don't see any reason to suspect her. Although the fact that she hasn't said anything about me is somewhat weird.
hiphop wrote:What I don't understand is wouldn't scum act the same as town? Scum want a lynch the same as town as long as it isn't their buddy. They can put a vote on anybody, and give a reason. As far as I am concerned, the only way I see scum showing up to everybody else is by their vote pattern. As for over aggressiveness, that could be the personallity, rather than scum.

I believe we can have two misses on a lynch, and still have the majority, but if we miss the first two lynches, we will have to be sure we lynch scum the next two times.

About the roles, are they random in a newbie game? Or are the mafia members given to an experienced player and a non experienced player.

As for Startransmission, I will do my best concerning that challenge.

I believe that in the mafia help rules, it says something like scum will draw attention that they are looking for scum. So iamausername has a point worth considering about Startransmission.

vote:Startransmission
Your hypothetical statements really bother me. We should be focused on getting mafia on the first day not on the third day. Additionally what you said about Startrnasmission is rather weird. "Scum will draw attention that they are looking for scum." This makes no sense. Shouldn't every townie be looking for scum as well? Either way, he was voting for BagSquad but now he unvoted. It really seems as if you're just jumping on iamusername's wagon. You also haven't been answering any of the questions asked of you. As of now I'm going to go ahead and
Vote: hiphop
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:28 am

Post by Starbuck »

Why is that weird? I really haven't found anything suspicious of you.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:31 am

Starbuck wrote:Why is that weird? I really haven't found anything suspicious of you.
I didn't mean weird in a scummy sort of way it's just like if you're playing a game with someone, you'll eventually talk about them in one way or another.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:33 am

Post by Starbuck »

But you just said that it's weird that I haven't mentioned you. Are you hiding something that I should be asking you about?
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:13 am

Post by hiphop »

The questions asked of me. ok, I can answer those. First of all I explained that I don't know what to look for in a post. There really isn't any reason why scum should not act like townfolks, being that everybody is a real person, and should act like a real person. If I were scum, I still would act the way I do now. Why should I change? It is my personallity. The town do not know any more info than scum. One thing I did notice, as Starttransmission pointed out, activity stalled once everybody waited for bagsquad to respond. Fyi there are two mafia members not just one.

As for an analysis of my predecessor votes the first one was just a vote, I assume that he thought that that was one way to make his first post, was to vote for someone. THe problem with that is he didn't give a reason for it. Second post he said he will keep his vote being that Starttransmission was talking strange to him. As far as I am concerned that is not scum being that he wasn't changing his vote to follow who other people voted for. Third post I believe he gave up on the game, because he either couldn't handle the pressure of other people pressuring him, or he didn't have the time to play the game period. A little of both I presume. if there was any post I missed please tell me. If I were you I would of voted for him too. I hate lurkers, because they hurt the side that they are with, and they take the fun out of the game for everyone else.

As for looking for scum the first day, I agree with you 100 percent, I just said we only have two misses in the entire game, so we had better make our lynches count.

The only reason I didn't answer the questions the first time is because I didn't realize how important they were.
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:46 am

Post by Maemuki »

hiphop. We do know that there are two mafia. We waited for him to respond because he was the main suspicion at the time. We didn't have (and I still don't) another suspicion. But, when Baggy was being pressured, his partner in crime could have showed up. Just my view.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:53 am

Post by hiphop »

@Mayemuki. I didn't mean two mafia groups, I meant two mafia members. There is nobody, but myself, and maybe you, that even comes close to defending me. I realized you do not have anybody else that you are putting pressure. I am still looking myself.
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:01 am

Post by Maemuki »

Maemuki. No "y" whatsoever.

hiphop, I know, I meant members but I was too lazy to write it.

What so you mean by your last two sentences? I didn't understand them.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 am

Post by hiphop »

sorry Maemuki
What I meant, is that there is no other fos on anyone else.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:27 am

Post by iamausername »

hiphop wrote:What I don't understand is wouldn't scum act the same as town? Scum want a lynch the same as town as long as it isn't their buddy. They can put a vote on anybody, and give a reason. As far as I am concerned, the only way I see scum showing up to everybody else is by their vote pattern. As for over aggressiveness, that could be the personallity, rather than scum.
You think you would act exactly the same way as scum as you would as town, but it's not actually true. Knowing that you and another player are scum and that everyone else is not will cause subconscious changes in your play. That's just a fact.

It's not easy to spot those subtle changes, especially considering we are mostly completely unfamiliar with the other players in the game, so we don't know how they'd act normally. That certainly makes it difficult to spot deviations from that norm.

The best way to find scum is in looking for their relationship to each other, which we do by making everyone take positions on each other, even when there's virtually no basis to take those positions. Because by doing that, we'll start to form a reasonable basis for those positions.

It is much easier to find scum on later days, because a) we will know some people's alignments for sure (because they are dead), and b) there will be less people around, and thus less relationships to sort through to find the one scum pair. But that doesn't mean it's totally impossible to find scum on D1.
startransmission wrote:I don't understand what bothers you about my vote being against the (what was in my opinion) scummiest player at the time. Why would I unvote BagSquad after his "jesus christ you people" response?
You weren't just voting for BagSquad, you were simultaneously voting for BagSquad and suggesting that scum were trying to get BagSquad lynched. That's what I have a problem with.

startran, I would like to hear your thoughts on jeromus, if you don't mind.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 am

Post by hiphop »

I get it. If you were scum bouched would most likely be scum as well, since you said he is most likely town.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:04 am

Post by startransmission »

iamausername wrote:You weren't just voting for BagSquad, you were simultaneously voting for BagSquad and suggesting that scum were trying to get BagSquad lynched. That's what I have a problem with.
Well, almost. I was voting for BagSquad for obvious reasons. Once the heat was really on him and he was at L-2 the activity dropped significantly. I took that as a red flag... the chance that Bag was town and just sucked as a player struck me and I pointed out to Bag that
if
he was town he needed to say so, and not let the mafia sit back and enjoy a freebie.

Now, while I understood the possibility that Bag was town, I still found him to be the scummiest player. There was no way I was going to unvote considering his behavior at that point. When I vote for somebody it means they are the most scummy player in my eyes. That does not mean that I don't scrutinize other peoples actions (or lack thereof) and keep my eyes open for other suspicious posts/behavior.
iamausername wrote:startran, I would like to hear your thoughts on jeromus, if you don't mind.
Not at all. There isn't much to analyze, I think he has only posted 3-4 times. He started out by voting for me because I reminded him of another player in a previous game that turned out to be scum. I didn't really choose to attack that vote too much, as I had already made clear that I didn't think I was being rude or overly aggressive. Also, jeromus acknowledged that his reason for voting me wasn't too strong. I think his last post was unvoting me (because of said weak reasons) and correcting somebody on Starbucks gender.

So here is what I think- nothing too scummy. If one thing does bother me it's his quietness, and his desire to have questions of him to be short and to the point, so that his response can be short and to the point. I'd like to see some more analysis from him, and don't want him to feel comfortable just sitting back and waiting for people to ask him questions.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Post by hiphop »

@ iamusername What makes you think that bouched is more likely town than Maemuki?
Just because he said he has only played themed base games, doesn't qualify him as non-mafia.
He also targeted me first, after I only made 1 post.
Therefore,
unvote
vote:bouchedufou
Show
Town - 8/12
Scum - 4/2

Never forget

September 11, 2001

I colored hiphop kind of magenta, because he deserves a color of his own.
~Gila
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:29 pm

How many games have you played in before this one, hiphop?
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Post by hiphop »

2, They were theme based on another site.
Show
Town - 8/12
Scum - 4/2

Never forget

September 11, 2001

~Gila
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Starbuck »

hiphop wrote:First I would like to say is that I am not Bagsquad, so whatever he did to incriminate himself, don't hold it against me.
Second I wil not lurk. Unlike BagSquad, I actually mean that.

I also would like to say that I have played in theme based games(only a couple actually) on another site, so this will be my first newbie game on this site.
On the little experience I have, I have found out that when I vote for someone, they usually respond(if they want to play the game). This gives the game more activity, and that is what I want.

So my vote(right now anyways) will go to the lucky person:
Vote:iamausername
Crazy, you might just want to re-read things. He stated the answer to your question when he replaced in.
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

Sorry guys, I got slightly bored just before the massive post explosion, and couldn't get on this morning.

Just to get things straight: I did NOT target you, hiphop. This is my first game. Ever. I haven't even played any themed games- I happened to watch one of those, which was happening in a forum I read, and got interested. The reason I asked those questions about you is that I actually was confused and was whether if in your experience he should be trusted. No sarcasm or whatever was intended.

Now, that said, is it just me or is hiphop seem to be trying TOO hard to prove he isn't scum? Admittedly, he had to convince us baggy was just a bad poster, so he had to put in some effort. The thing is, his first post sort of convinced me, but he did seem to go on for a bit afterwards. Or am I just feeling vindictive because now he's voted for me?

The only slightly dodgy one in my eyes at the moment otherwise might be Jeromus. Why is it that he seems to do only the bare minimum of posts? Isn't that quite convenient that he has laptop charger problems? Although, if that's really the case, sorry, but could you give us a time when you'll be regularly online again? (btw, I think somebody mentioned this earlier, but I can't find it now. Anyway, thought the point was good enough to point out again)

@hiphop again: Like I asked the first time, you say you want a response from people. What response do you want from me? In the same vein, what response did you want from This vote doesn't even seem to be targeted at trying to get information. Now you're randomly voting around because I asked some questions (although you did think I was targeting you) and you didn't like me?
P.S. you're a major improvement over baggy, even if I still think you're slightly suspicious.
P.S.S. How do I get an avatar?
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

don't worry about PSS, I went to change my email and found the avatar thing
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Post by Starbuck »

Bouched, you can only use the "I am new" excuse for so long. You are also using this excuse against another new player to this site which brings you no merit. Your reasoning here says nothing about you being confused about hiphop's experience:
bouchedufou wrote:Now I'm getting confused. Do we take what hiphop says at face value? The main accusations against baggy from what I read were:
a) unresponsive
b) replies were nonsense.

Now hiphop comes along and says he will be responsive, and try to do something. What now?
You say no sarcasm was intended, but I sense quite a bit of sarcasm in this post.

Why do you think he's trying too hard? He walked into a horrible situation when he replaced Bag. What would you do if you were in his position?

He had to convince us that Bag was a bad poster? You seem pretty convinced here:
bouchedufou wrote:On baggy again, I think I agree with Starbuck. Reading over Baggy's history again, it seems as if he's the kind of guy who starts and then just leaves. Of course, it's difficult to tell because he started off confirming like everyone else quite quickly. However, past that he just didn't really do anything.
The good news is that baggy has a 72hour deadline to reply, then 48 hours after that. If he doesn't, then I'd go with Starbuck in that he's a jerk who can't decide whether he can be bothered or not, plus the Mod gets us a substitute. Which doesn't mean the substitute is off the hook of course, but at least we'd get somebody who'll post a reply.

So baggy? Are you out there? If you are, please remember that deadline. If not, get him sacked already!

I think you are being very vindictive because he is now voting for you. It seems as though you are overreacting because he found you out.
bouchedufou wrote:@hiphop again: Like I asked the first time, you say you want a response from people. What response do you want from me? In the same vein, what response did you want from This vote doesn't even seem to be targeted at trying to get information. Now you're randomly voting around because I asked some questions (although you did think I was targeting you) and you didn't like me?
Why do you think a vote should only be used to garner information? It seems that hiphop senses that he found scum and is therefore voting for the scummiest player in his eyes, which is what a person should do. You are accusing him of randomly voting around. His vote on you isn't at all random. Did you not read his post? He gave a reason as to why he was voting you.

Why don't you go back and re-read a bit before your next post. We are only on page 5 and it seems like you already need to re-read what has taken place.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:34 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

@bouchedufou:

Please answer this:
Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:
bouchedufou wrote:@hiphop: what kind of a response are you going for from iama right now? At least ask him a question.

Now I'm getting confused. Do we take what hiphop says at face value? The main accusations against baggy from what I read were:
a) unresponsive
b) replies were nonsense.

Now hiphop comes along and says he will be responsive, and try to do something. What now?
Do you think that hiphop should be held accountable for BagSquad's actions, based on the two main accusations you list above?

As I said earlier, please no one else answer for someone. I want to hear bouch's responses.

Welcome hiphop.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:04 am

Post by Elmo »

Day 1, Vote Count #4

hiphop (2) <- Vel-Rahn Koon, crazypianist1116
startransmission <- iamausername
bouchedufou <- hiphop

Not voting: Starbuck, Maemuki, bouchedufou, jeromus, startransmission.

The
deadline
is Friday, 14th August 22:00 UTC, which is 10 days, 8 hours and 55 minutes from this post. If deadline hits, there will be No Lynch.
With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch. jeromus has been prodded.
Last edited by Elmo on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
crazypianist1116
crazypianist1116
Goon
crazypianist1116
Goon
Goon

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 am

Elmo wrote:
Day 1, Vote Count #4

startransmission (2) <- iamausername, crazypianist1116
hiphop <- Vel-Rahn Koon
bouchedufou <- hiphop

Not voting: Starbuck, Maemuki, bouchedufou, jeromus, startransmission.
I am voting for hiphop.
Will post later.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:52 am

Post by hiphop »

@bouchedufou Why are you getting so worked up over one vote?

In my past experiences usually a vote from the scummiest player, does not get the votey worked up. Yet you seem to take it to heart. I believe you did the same thing when you were called on wheather you knew starbuck was a girl.
It is just one vote.
Show
Town - 8/12
Scum - 4/2

Never forget

September 11, 2001

~Gila
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

Bouched, you can only use the "I am new" excuse for so long. You are also using this excuse against another new player to this site which brings you no merit. Your reasoning here says nothing about you being confused about hiphop's experience:
I'm not using it as an excuse, I was annoyed that hiphop didn't bother reading through all the posts, and I was explaining again why I might be asking what you guys seem to think to be pretty stupid questions. Allow me to say again:
I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I really wasn't sure what should be done
. Plus I feel they're not that stupid anyway, since they seem to be stimulating quite a bit of stuff.
@ iamusername What makes you think that bouched is more likely town than Maemuki?
Just because he said he has only played themed base games, doesn't qualify him as non-mafia.
(bold added for emphasis)
He also targeted me first, after I only made 1 post.
Therefore,
unvote
vote:bouchedufou
I think you are being very vindictive because he is now voting for you. It seems as though you are overreacting because he found you out.
bouchedufou wrote:
@hiphop again: Like I asked the first time, you say you want a response from people. What response do you want from me? In the same vein, what response did you want from This vote doesn't even seem to be targeted at trying to get information. Now you're randomly voting around because I asked some questions (although you did think I was targeting you) and you didn't like me?

Why do you think a vote should only be used to garner information? It seems that hiphop senses that he found scum and is therefore voting for the scummiest player in his eyes, which is what a person should do. You are accusing him of randomly voting around. His vote on you isn't at all random. Did you not read his post? He gave a reason as to why he was voting you.

Why don't you go back and re-read a bit before your next post. We are only on page 5 and it seems like you already need to re-read what has taken place.
1. I wasn't being vindictive. I felt suspicious of hiphop, while I was reading through even before reaching his vote on me. Why? First he voted for iama with no explanation, reason, nothing. Then when iama voted for startran, he switched over and followed along. Then he switched to me. I was told, and I agree, that votes shouldn't be just swapped like hotcakes. If I might add, I was feeling slightly suspicious since before reading his vote for me, I only added that last part to highlight the possibility that I might be biased. Also, hiphop wasn't my main suspicion at the time- I was more worried about Jeromus because of his fewer posts due to recharging problems.

2. Answering your question, I think votes should gather info because votes are mainly a way of attracting attention, and should be accompanied with a question or something for once that attention is attracted.

3. If you would reread hiphop's post, quoted above and tell me again that hiphop at the time feels he found scum and was voting for the scummiest player? "He also targeted me first, after I only made 1 post.". He was targeting me because apparently I targeted him first. Yes, it's a reason, but not something to vote for. Not to mention his two previous votes- as I said, they seem to be random votes.

Stop telling me to re-read, I HAVE re-read. Many times, looking for descrepencies. While you haven't even bothered to look up your claims, and start accusing me of being vindictive and over-reacting.

Maybe I should ask you, Starbuck, why you first tried to convince us that baggy was innocent (and, admittedly, I believed you, since there was something in what you said). Then you accuse me of being a bad player, tell me to re-read while at the same time twist what was actually said. I’m not going to vote for Starbuck yet, because maybe she’s right and hiphop isn’t scum. However, I’ll
FoS
you, because if hiphop is scum, then you’ve got some explaining to do.

I am going to go with my feeling right now. Since Startran is no longer voting for hiphop, I’m going to
vote: hiphop
. A reminder, just in case: nobody else vote for hiphop now. If through your own analysis feel he's mafia, then FoS him. We want the day to go the full time.
bouchedufou
bouchedufou
Townie
bouchedufou
Townie
Townie

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:18 pm

Post by bouchedufou »

@VRK

No, I don't think hiphop should be held responsible for what baggy did. In fact, I happen to agree with Starbuck that baggy probably was just a horrible player, regardless of whether he's mafia or not. I do think hiphop doesn't feel right, a feeling which I believe to be not just because he voted for me. It's also because I don't feel any other candidates are as suspicious as he is right now.

However, I'd still like jeromus to give us an estimate of when exactly he'll be fully online again? Can you go to the local library/friend/school? No accusations or anything yet, it's just that the silence is making me feel uncomfortable.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”