Newbie 843 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #775 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:16 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Starbuck wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:It's strange, because I played 2 or 3 other newbie games modded by hohum without incident.

It should probably be noted that all those games also lacked role blockers though. :lol:
This was my first moderated by hohum and is definitely my last.
Yeah, I definitely see where you're coming from on why.

Hopefully my poor play in this game doesn't make you never want to play with me again! 8-)
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #776 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:17 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

ok guys, stop bitching in thread. hohum has had several RL issues as of late, so lets leave the bashing out of it.

WRT the RBer only gets to do one or the other: Zach, start a MD thread. I don't know if it's ever been brought up or not to be honest. I just finished grad school 6 months ago, so it may very well have been and I just don't remember. I've got swiss cheese brain from grad school :P

I'll be very interested in the discussion.

WRT each scum sending in their own action: I have seen Mods do this before, requiring each scum to send in their own action. BUT hohum made a mistake in NOT allowing the scum team to perform all their actions when it was realized that there was a misunderstanding in the way he wanted the scum team to function.

Screw ups will happen, even to the best of Mods. There's nothing to be done about it now. I know it's frustrating, but I'd really prefer it if the bashing someone who was doing his best to try to help out in the Newbie queue stopped.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #777 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:19 am

Post by Starbuck »

I don't feel like I was bashing, other than saying that I won't play a game that he moderates. There were serious issues with this game and things like this need to be prevented from happening in the future. The point of mafia is to have fun, and this game was not fun for me because of these issues.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #778 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:20 am

Post by Starbuck »

And Zach, don't worry, I love to hate you in every game we play! =)
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #779 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Zach, if you do make that MD thread, please send me a link to it?

Thanks!

Vel

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #780 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 am

Post by Starbuck »

Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:Zach, if you do make that MD thread, please send me a link to it?

Thanks!

Vel
Me too.

Zach, I think you'd be better at phrasing it all at first then I will.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #781 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:Zach, if you do make that MD thread, please send me a link to it?

Thanks!

Vel
Will do.

To be clear, I'm not bashing Hohum, but rather just expressing my anger/frustration at the way this game unfolded. I don't have any problem with him personally.

In the end, I ended up getting confused by what was standard in newbie games and what wasn't. (There are some things that are standard that I don't think should be, like the automatic 3 week deadline, I think that the length of deadline should be at the mod's discretion, but the ship sailed on that discussion long ago I know, but that is also just my opinion on that matter.)
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #782 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:29 am

Post by Starbuck »

Zachrulez wrote:To be clear, I'm not bashing Hohum, but rather just expressing my anger/frustration at the way this game unfolded. I don't have any problem with him personally.
This.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #783 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:32 am

Post by Zachrulez »

And VRK, I'll always remember you as that scumbag I lynched in newbie 784... just wanted you to know that. :D
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #784 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:34 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

Ya, the wave of replacements hurt you two badly. For one, both Ojanen and I got a scum read on Zach... although I also got one on Tubby so I'd say Ojanen wins for most accurate.

Really, my suspicions on Starbuck really began when she:
A) Late voted.
B) Then insta-voted after Tubby's cop claim.

As the only person who I'd ever played a game with, I knew Starbuck was a thinking player, and as town would be less likely prone to instantly believing Tubby's cop claim.

Either way, I have to say I royally sucked this game Day 3 & 4, and was pulled through on the power of the cop and Kyiv.

@Starbuck: I think at this point, if we're ever in a game together, we're going to be on different sides.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #785 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:35 am

Post by Zachrulez »

PaltryExcuse wrote:Ya, the wave of replacements hurt you two badly. For one, both Ojanen and I got a scum read on Zach... although I also got one on Tubby so I'd say Ojanen wins for most accurate.

Really, my suspicions on Starbuck really began when she:
A) Late voted.
B) Then insta-voted after Tubby's cop claim.

As the only person who I'd ever played a game with, I knew Starbuck was a thinking player, and as town would be less likely prone to instantly believing Tubby's cop claim.

Either way, I have to say I royally sucked this game Day 3 & 4, and was pulled through on the power of the cop and Kyiv.

@Starbuck: I think at this point, if we're ever in a game together, we're going to be on different sides.
Don't feel bad about finding Tubby scummy. He WAS scummy, and then he just sat back and acted like none of it mattered just because he happened to be the cop.
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #786 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:35 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

Oh, by the way, thanks for replacement modding VRK! And to Starbuck for continuing when she has some RL issues and Mr. Finch for late game replacing.

Twas fun!

(Woo! 2-0!)
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #787 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:37 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

During my Night 2 re-read, I really thought it was a Zach-tubby scum team. The starting of Day 3 confused me to no end.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #788 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:37 am

Post by Starbuck »

<3 Paltry
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #789 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Honestly, you guys took way too long to lynch me... heh heh.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #790 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:40 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Interesting.

I just read the last two pages of 818, and Pomegranate's linked poll in post 626. May want to peruse it in regards to that poll.

Not sure if I want to standardize RB actions or not, but there are good arguments in there from both sides of the coin.

Newbie games are 3 weeks because that's plenty of time to run a game day and get everyone a good taste of how we do things here, so that they can move on to the "real" game queues. When newbie games were unlimited timeframe, you'd have games go on for weeks and weeks that didn't need to, because people would talk themselves to death and then sit on their asses and not commit to action.

Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #791 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:42 am

Post by Sanjay »

Zachrulez wrote:Honestly, you guys took way too long to lynch me... heh heh.
Yeah, if I had stayed in the game I would have been going lynch-crazy if the game wasn't over in three days.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #792 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:43 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:Interesting.

I just read the last two pages of 818, and Pomegranate's linked poll in post 626. May want to peruse it in regards to that poll.

Not sure if I want to standardize RB actions or not, but there are good arguments in there from both sides of the coin.

Newbie games are 3 weeks because that's plenty of time to run a game day and get everyone a good taste of how we do things here, so that they can move on to the "real" game queues. When newbie games were unlimited timeframe, you'd have games go on for weeks and weeks that didn't need to, because people would talk themselves to death and then sit on their asses and not commit to action.
Oh, I do agree that there should be a deadline, I've seen games without deadlines go on for months and that's just ridiculous.

I just believe there's room for some flexing on the amount of time. (Depending on the pace of game the moderator might prefer.)
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #793 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 am

Post by Starbuck »

@VRK - My main issue with what happened this game was that it wasn't the first time that it happened, and the fact that this exact situation has happened more than once shows to me that it's something that needs to be fixed.
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #794 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:45 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

@Sanjay: Do you have your old post? If so I'd like to see it.
Starbuck
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Starbuck
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #795 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:45 am

Post by Starbuck »

And let it be known, that the deadline rule doesn't bother me.
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #796 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 am

Post by Sanjay »

PaltryExcuse wrote:@Sanjay: Do you have your old post? If so I'd like to see it.
Unfortunately not.

It mostly concentrated on Starbuck stuff. The only thing I really remember was the instant acceptance of the cop claim. That just seemed crazy to me.
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #797 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:55 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

Zachrulez wrote:Don't feel bad about finding Tubby scummy. He WAS scummy, and then he just sat back and acted like none of it mattered just because he happened to be the cop.
Part of me, for excitement's sake, was kind of hoping you and Tubby were partners. Thanks though, it makes me feel a bit better about my play.

However, Finch's posts really read pro-town. He was making up leaps and bounds for Tubby's odd posting style in my mind.

Oh, question: You guys did kill Soyasushi night 1 right? So Zach, why kill someone who's tunneling on a townie?
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #798 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:55 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Vel-Rahn Koon wrote:Interesting.

You do have the cop and doctor actions standardized do you not? I imagine it would be considered a problem if a newbie mod started using non sane cops or doctors that suddenly weren't guaranteed to work.

And I think that's the problem you risk when you allow the roleblocker actions to be done different ways.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #799 (ISO) » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:57 am

Post by Zachrulez »

PaltryExcuse wrote:
Zachrulez wrote:Don't feel bad about finding Tubby scummy. He WAS scummy, and then he just sat back and acted like none of it mattered just because he happened to be the cop.
Part of me, for excitement's sake, was kind of hoping you and Tubby were partners. Thanks though, it makes me feel a bit better about my play.

However, Finch's posts really read pro-town. He was making up leaps and bounds for Tubby's odd posting style in my mind.

Oh, question: You guys did kill Soyasushi night 1 right? So Zach, why kill someone who's tunneling on a townie?
Soyasushi was giving off pro-town vibes and was unlikely to actually be lynched, that is why we opted to kill him. He was also off wagon so that was also a plus. We didn't take into account that there might be a doctor that might anticipate the kill otherwise we might have adjusted to a somewhat more suboptimal kill.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”