Mafia 102: No-Frills Game Thread(Town wins!)

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:18 am

Post by crypto »

Yikes, simulpost.

Mask, I more or less agree. One of the no-lynch zombies is probably scum.

Charter, was that vote serious or humorous/random?
---------------------

Super Accurate* Vote Count(as of post 75):

CSL - 2(mask man, hiphop)
crypto - 1(EtherealCookie)
mask man - 1(Sando)
X_~ - 1(crypto)
No Lynch - 3(SerialClergyman, CSL, Kaiveran)
hiphop - 1(charter)

Not Voting:le Chat, X_~, Staple, Team Aether, Kaiveran, bigmc109, Pomegranate, muh316

*Not guaranteed to be accurate.
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:23 am

Post by mask man »

Simul-post my ass, don't try and get off on this one crypto. I posted 60-159 seconds before you. I was clearly superior.
Show
The monster entered the blacksmith.
The monster became Otto the Blacksmith.
Otto the Blacksmith became the strongest man in the village.
But one day he said,
ÔÇ£Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.ÔÇØ
Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!

The hungry monster ate Otto from the inside out.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:23 am

Post by crypto »

First is the worst.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:31 am

Post by crypto »

SerialClergyman, why is "ostensibly" good enough for you? Sounds like you didn't bother to make sure the cop plan was stable.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:39 am

Post by crypto »

Ugh, post explosion.

Muh316, what's your experience with Mafia? Have you played anywhere other than mafiascum.net?

Same questions go for everyone else, except Charter, because we all know he's pro.
EtherealCookie
EtherealCookie
Goon
EtherealCookie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:41 am

Post by EtherealCookie »

I haven't completed a single game on mafiascum.net, unless you count dying Night 0. I'm in a lot. One on some terrible forums where we did Mafia VS Werewolf, and days were basically... One day IRL.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 am

Post by crypto »

I gave you a slice of pizza for answering so promptly. But then I had to take it away before you could sink your teeth in, because you said nil about anything that occurred on page 3.
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59 am

Post by mask man »

pizza OWNED.

I started playing mafia about four years ago on a NB server. It was chat mafia ran by the server bot, and it was fucking horrible. I can recall all the strategy and stuff and how idiots managed to fuck the town up, the game as a whole was shit on.
Skip ahead a few years/one year, I entered a game on smashboards but got replaced out(it was 40+ players and my first forum game.). That's when someone showed me another site and I started playing on mymafiamania, a site with people from mygnr forums that were forced to play somewhere else. I was on that for awhile, I had one little break because my mother was being a giant bitch. I was going to host my first modded there, I was typing up the fucking GAMEPAGE, IT WAS ABOUT TO START, I SPENT A WEEK WRITING MASSIVE PMS AND EVERYTHING AND MY MOM KICKS ME OFF FOR SIX FUCKING MONTHS.
Then I came back, there was a new site and crap. It died. And now I'm here. I went to play on EpicMafia before, but that shit sucks balls.

I have frequented the #mafia on Global Gamers irc for awhile too.
Show
But one day he said,
ÔÇ£Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.ÔÇØ

hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:06 am

Post by hiphop »

crypto wrote:Er, not what I was shooting for. Expliquez?
Another random vote.

charter wrote:
unvote, vote hiphop

For ignoring the idea before. I'd think if you were town, you'd have at least something to say when someone suggests a no lynch.
I'd think if I were scum, I'd have at least something to say when someone suggests a no lynch. What is the difference between the sentence you wrote, and the sentence I wrote? Why should I say something, if I didn't care either way? If the town wanted it, the town would get it. I saw several pros and cons both ways. One of the main ones is how would the cop know who to investigate. A good reason I didn't think of, until I read crypto's post (How long did it take you to write that?) is the town has an extra four people than a mini, which means the town has an extra two mislynches than a mini. Why waste them?

If I gave my pros and cons, without letting everybody decide their way, I would basically destroy all the pros for it, by creating discussion. Why would I want to do that, if I didn't care which way the town went?
crypto wrote:Same questions go for everyone else, except Charter, because we all know he's pro.
Same question goes for you, even though you seem like a pro. 8 games on another site.
EtherealCookie
EtherealCookie
Goon
EtherealCookie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 am

Post by EtherealCookie »

crypto wrote:I gave you a slice of pizza for answering so promptly. But then I had to take it away before you could sink your teeth in, because you said nil about anything that occurred on page 3.
Yea?
Yea?
Well, I'm not sharing any of my cookies with you.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:31 am

Post by hiphop »

EtherealCookie wrote:
crypto wrote:I gave you a slice of pizza for answering so promptly. But then I had to take it away before you could sink your teeth in, because you said nil about anything that occurred on page 3.
Yea?
Yea?
Well, I'm not sharing any of my cookies with you.
You should still comment on page 3.
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:41 am

Post by bigmc109 »

Eh, I'm not so sure if the No Lynch idea is that bad. We only lose one person per Day/Night cycle with it, and it gives us time to gather information. If we gave it 2 or 3 cycles it wouldn't be that much different than a basic Mini Normal set-up, the difference being we start out with some information. I think with three cycles the cop would have enough time to figure out his sanity, and hopefully we'd be able to narrow it down a lot on Day 4.

On the other hand, I do see the problem with the Cop being killed and possibly random, but I still think it's a strategy to consider.

Also, if the Jailkeeper can't block Mafia NK's, what kills are they protecting people from?
Show
[b]Record: 2-1
[color=green]Town: 1-0[/color]
[color=red]Mafia: 1-1[/color]
Other: 0-0[/b]

[i][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13846]Mini 951 - Prison Mafia[/url] needs [b]1 replacement[/b].[/i]
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 am

Post by hiphop »

bigmc109 wrote:Also, if the Jailkeeper can't block Mafia NK's, what kills are they protecting people from?
They can save, but they can't block nks. If they target the mafia member that sent out the nk, they can't block, but if they target a townie, who the scum targeted, they save that person. The only action they block is the cop's.
EtherealCookie
EtherealCookie
Goon
EtherealCookie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 am

Post by EtherealCookie »

What's there to comment on? Mafia seems screwed, honestly, with this ratio.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Post by hiphop »

EtherealCookie wrote:What's there to comment on? Mafia seems screwed, honestly, with this ratio.
Are you admitting that you are scum?
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by bigmc109 »

This is just as much for me as it is for everyone else, but I just want to work out the no lynch strategy logically.

The odds of us lynching scum on Day 1 are very poor (18.75%). Night 1, the Mafia will almost certainly kill a townie (odds of a successful protection are less than 1%, so for the purposes of this, I'll say the Mafia is definetely killing a townie). If we choose to lynch D1, there is an 81.25% chance of losing 2 townies; if we no lynch, there's a 100% chance of losing 1 townie. I think the trade-off is worth the information.

Now, I agree with crypto in saying that we SHOULD NOT go gung ho into a no lynch right away. We have to play this as a normal Day 1 until the deadline is getting close. If no one really jumps out as suspicious enough to lynch, we should go for the no lynch. We should only lynch if 9 of us are LEGITIMATELY SURE that someone is scum.

I think that in some D1's, maybe a third of the players are really set on one person as scum, and the other fifth or so that are part of the majority just agree because it "looks good". In this game, it's really in our best interest to not lynch unless more than half of us are really, really sure.

As for Day 2, assuming we use this strategy Day 1, the odds of lynching a scum don't get much better (20%). I think it would again be in our best interest to not lynch unless the day of disscussion makes 8 of us think someone is definetely scum.

I'm not saying we should have no discussion and just quickly no lynch on the first 2 days. I'm saying we should run them to the deadline, and if no one is obvious scum, we should no lynch then so we can get some information without risking too much loss. A 100% chance of losing 2 townies is SO MUCH BETTER than a 4% chance of lynching two scum and still losing 2 townies, even if it does 100% leave 2 scum alive.
Show

[i][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13846]Mini 951 - Prison Mafia[/url] needs [b]1 replacement[/b].[/i]
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

EtherealCookie wrote:What's there to comment on? Mafia seems screwed, honestly, with this ratio.
scummy for someone not voting no lynch.
I'm old now.
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Post by muh316 »

Muh316, what's your experience with Mafia? Have you played anywhere other than mafiascum.net?
I have only had experience with two newbie games on mafiascum.net. I didnt even know forum games like thesse existed until one day i go to gamefaqs message boards and i see Spongebob Mafia topic and it has a link to this site. The site seemed interesting with the flash tutorial so i gave it a try. Thats all my experience.
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Post by muh316 »

hiphop wrote:
bigmc109 wrote:Also, if the Jailkeeper can't block Mafia NK's, what kills are they protecting people from?
They can save, but they can't block nks. If they target the mafia member that sent out the nk, they can't block, but if they target a townie, who the scum targeted, they save that person. The only action they block is the cop's.
so if jailkeeper targets a person who is a townie, then the mafia can't kill the townie. And if jailkeeper targets a mafia member nothing happens. And if jailkeeper targets cop then cop can't investigate.
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Post by hiphop »

bigmc109 wrote:The odds of us lynching scum on Day 1 are very poor (18.75%). Night 1, the Mafia will almost certainly kill a townie (odds of a successful protection are less than 1%, so for the purposes of this, I'll say the Mafia is definetely killing a townie). If we choose to lynch D1, there is an 81.25% chance of losing 2 townies; if we no lynch, there's a 100% chance of losing 1 townie. I think the trade-off is worth the information.
Fine look at it this way, We have a 18.75% chance of lynching scum day 1, while 0% chance of killing scum in the night. I choose the lynch. However you can bring up the no lynch when we are ready to lynch. Until than, scum hunt, and don't talk about theory yet. If everybody expects a no lynch, than this day will be shot.
muh316 wrote:so if jailkeeper targets a person who is a townie, then the mafia can't kill the townie. And if jailkeeper targets a mafia member nothing happens. And if jailkeeper targets cop then cop can't investigate.
In this game yes, in other games no. Depends on the mod.
bigmc109
bigmc109
Goon
bigmc109
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Post by bigmc109 »

hiphop wrote:
bigmc109 wrote:The odds of us lynching scum on Day 1 are very poor (18.75%). Night 1, the Mafia will almost certainly kill a townie (odds of a successful protection are less than 1%, so for the purposes of this, I'll say the Mafia is definetely killing a townie). If we choose to lynch D1, there is an 81.25% chance of losing 2 townies; if we no lynch, there's a 100% chance of losing 1 townie. I think the trade-off is worth the information.
Fine look at it this way, We have a 18.75% chance of lynching scum day 1, while 0% chance of killing scum in the night. I choose the lynch. However you can bring up the no lynch when we are ready to lynch. Until than, scum hunt, and don't talk about theory yet. If everybody expects a no lynch, than this day will be shot.
Fair enough.
Show

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Post by crypto »

Thanks to everyone who answered about experience. Important to know who knows what (needless to say). Mask's autobiography was a particularly fascinating factoid. :P

Good to see EtherealCookie (obvious scum) getting more widespread publicity. Post 88 is vaguely icky, too. One down, two to gooo!

SerialClergyman, what exactly do you think of Ethereal?

hiphop wrote:I'd think if I were scum, I'd have at least something to say when someone suggests a no lynch. What is the difference between the sentence you wrote, and the sentence I wrote? Why should I say something, if I didn't care either way? If the town wanted it, the town would get it.
What? . . . No, the town gets what the most players want, and the most players want the action that is best supported with a clear logic. Our average scumbag would probably go with the flow for a little while to see how things unfold. Sort of like what you did. Some scum (usually ultra-confident pros) might take a proactive stance, but not most.
I saw several pros and cons both ways. One of the main ones is how would the cop know who to investigate. A good reason I didn't think of, until I read crypto's post (How long did it take you to write that?) is the town has an extra four people than a mini, which means the town has an extra two mislynches than a mini. Why waste them?
Why didn't you point out pros and cons before? Electing not to do so is anti-information. Plus, these two bits are both cons. Could you give a pro or two, for argument's sake?
If I gave my pros and cons, without letting everybody decide their way, I would basically destroy all the pros for it, by creating discussion. Why would I want to do that, if I didn't care which way the town went?
That isn't good enough, unfortunately. At this point in the game, keeping secrets "for the good of the town" is secondary to sharing information (unless of course you're outing role info).

Oh, and I've only played on this site. Two newbie games and two mini normals.

BMC, first off, I love you, and in case you didn't see the Mini 842 post-game comments, I don't really think you gave up.

Secondly, the cop may not be able to make head or tail of his sanity. If he's naive or paranoid, which I suspect he is, he's worthless, and wandering through three or four days only for the cop to claim all innocent or all guilty is not an exciting prospect. That said, I do think it may be a smart move to no-lynch unless we are really sure of someone's alignment, because we do have breathing room . . . and it is possible after all that the cop is sane (though I doubt it).

So I guess we're essentially in agreement. Discuss but don't lynch unless we're very confident that we're nailing scum.

So, yeah, Ethereal is scum. What else? . . . I'm puzzled by Muh's comment about how the least suspected townies are going to be night-killed. Isn't that how it always works? I can't tell if this is fishy or not. Strikes me as a weird thing to say, but not scummy.

Hiphop's explanations don't exactly scream town. Oh, that is an understatement on my part, FYI. Most of his reasoning is fine, but I really don't like that he chose not to post his thoughts earlier.

Obviously a lot of people still haven't posted in the thread after the confirmation stage. I saw X_~ on the list of online players last night, but he never even popped a random vote, which makes me itch. :|

Unvote: X_~.

Vote: SerialClergyman.
How 'bout dem rapid vote switches, Scigatt?
Kaiveran
Kaiveran
Goon
Kaiveran
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Post by Kaiveran »

Ok, I'm back now and my brain's working.

Just quickly going over things and gathering my thoughts.
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Post by muh316 »

I'm puzzled by Muh's comment about how the least suspected townies are going to be night-killed. Isn't that how it always works? I can't tell if this is fishy or not. Strikes me as a weird thing to say, but not scummy.
It was just a mere statement about what is going to happen nothing special to it. But one thing is that in my previous game the scum were smart that they ended up lynching the most suspected one leaving the townies confused and voting for me(a townie) which resulted in scum victory.
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Post by mask man »

SerialClergyman wrote:
scummy for someone not voting no lynch.
Scummy for someone not voting no lynch? My sweet life, Sir. Do I even have to say anything here? It looks slightly defeatist, but you have the wrong reasons here. What next? "You are FoSing them, why don't you vote them? I think you're scum!"
No maybe that isn't the best example. Well, I was expecting that to flow together right so I could just note 'not to mention it makes you seem to eager for an NL by pushing him.', but i'm tired atm.
bigmc109 wrote: I think that in some D1's, maybe a third of the players are really set on one person as scum, and the other fifth or so that are part of the majority just agree because it "looks good". In this game, it's really in our best interest to not lynch unless more than half of us are really, really sure.
Nice, I just read that and my brain had an orgasm like 'holy shit he is right.'
And that fifth that just agrees may be inexperienced and busted on that later. I feel like I can look at the players playing atm and know how the game is going to happen now. Also see this.

I spy a 'bad cookie' already.

Also note crypto's little comment on his voting speed. I'm not worried about it too much because he seems a little too good to fuck up like that.
Show
But one day he said,

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”