Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 pm

Post by Netopalis »

I'm not sure that your failure to participate in the RVS does you Justice, Owen.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by crypto »

Unvote. Vote: U.N. Owen.
Gyro
Gyro
Townie
Gyro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Post by Gyro »

Netopalis wrote:Just a side note, as it's a personal pet peeve of mine...Kikuchyo didn't choose to
lynch
guy0, he chose to
vote for
guy0.
I actually noticed the inconsistency of using both terms in my post but decided not to edit.

It's really a who gives a shit type of thing.
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Post by crypto »

Wagon on Owen, please.
Mr.Jester
Mr.Jester
Townie
Mr.Jester
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Post by Mr.Jester »

vote: Walrus Helmet

Because I am the Walrus.

P.S Goo goo ga joob.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

crypto wrote:Wagon on Owen, please.
He deserves one.

vote Owen
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
walrus helmet
walrus helmet
Goon
walrus helmet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Post by walrus helmet »

Mr.Jester wrote:
vote: Walrus Helmet

Because I am the Walrus.

P.S Goo goo ga joob.
I love the Beatles but my username has nothing to do with the song, really.
Netopalis wrote: Just a side note, as it's a personal pet peeve of mine...Kikuchyo didn't choose to lynch guy0, he chose to vote for guy0.
Personally I like 'vote' better simply because of what do you say when you retract your ballot? Unlynch?

Speaking of which
Unvote

Also yeah, Owen that was a really weird opening post.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Post by Netopalis »

Well, to explain Owen's post, there's a character in the Agatha Christie novel named U.N. Owen who talks much like he does....
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:00 am

Post by JereIC »

Netopalis wrote:Well, to explain Owen's post, there's a character in the Agatha Christie novel named U.N. Owen who talks much like he does....
That makes more sense. I'm guessing that he's doing it for fun (personally speaking, I once spent a month writing emails to friends in the style of John Hodgman's blog "Good Evening") but it could be some sort of alt/anti-meta strategy (basically assuming a new personality for each game). Either way, it's a null tell at the moment.

UN, do you intend to post anything out of character?[/url]
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:29 am

Post by JereIC »

Also, I'll be on V/LA from October 30th to November 2nd.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 am

Post by Faraday »

Kikuchiyo (2) [Netopalis, Gyro]
guy0 (1) [Kikuchiyo,]
Darkstrike_11 (2) (JereIC, Malpascp]
U.N. Owen (2)[Crypto, Ectomancer]
walrus helmet (1) [Me.Jester]

Not voting: [guy0, Darkstrike_11, U.N. Owen , Walrus Helmet]

Please point out any mistakes you see

JereIC's V/La has been noted.

guy0 has untill this evening to post before I begin looking for a replacement.
Last edited by Faraday on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 am

Post by Netopalis »

Sorry, meant to
Unvote: Kikuchiyo

Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:21 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

kikuchiyo wrote: Actually, random voting is meant to be a pro-town action. By random voting each player "randomly" commits to the "lynch" of another player. By doing so we all begin our "voting record" which later becomes one of the most tangible pieces of evidence that exists in the game of mafia. Whether or not the random voting stage is useful depends on many factors, however, scum have been known to give away partners or help confirm townies in the RVS in many games. Sometimes inexperienced or even experienced mafia will try to code messages in the RVS and later, after a confirmed scum flip, this information can prove to be invaluable. It is considered anti-town to not participate as if you later flip scum it leaves us that much less information to investigate. Townies should always submit to investigative processes. Does that make sense? That is at least how I have come to understand it.
But that is the very reason why the RVS is useless. There is no commitment to the lynch of another player. The scum know this, the town know this. The usual excuse for random bandwagons is because it “induces scumtells”. However in my experience it rarely does, since the scum KNOW that there isn’t real intent to lynch in a random vote. Its just randomly picking someone. (I am aware that it is fairly standard for the scum to play tricks in the RVS though). A random vote cannot be a tangible piece of evidence, for the intention to lynch was not wholeheartedly there. As for codes, I find RVS votes always end up just as pieces of WIFOM. How can anyone know if someone is giving a code or not until they say so?

I agree that everyone should submit to investigative processes, just not random voting.

Ectomancer wrote: If you do not approve of the RVS and instead prefer your described method of asking questions, why did you not propose it and instead allow the game to progress to the utterly predictable RVS?

This is your attempt at avoiding an RVS?
Darkstrike wrote: Hi Everyone!
I knew that someone would ask me to vote, then ask for an alternative. It generated discussion. It generated reactions. Both are useful. For instance your reaction tells me that you are aggressive in investigating people (an attribute I find very pro-town) and yet you are quick to find things which make your subject look as bad as possible (a less pro-town attribute)
Crypto wrote: Darkstrike's dislike of RVS is well documented. Case closed. I support lynching him for something else, though.
Something else?
Do tell
JereIC wrote: Checking through his previous games, I only found two in which he expressed an interest in doing the question route - Newbie 833 and Mini 834. Prior to that he did RVS, but got the question idea from Thesp in Newbie 792. I didn't see any posts where he expressed a dislike of RVS. And ecto's point remains - if he's a proponent of asking questions instead of RVS, why didn't he ask some questions?
Yeah Thesp inducted me in the way of questions and since then I have done so in every game. By the way I like your commitment to look through previous games, I can never find the motivation to do so!
Crypto wrote: Wagon on Owen, please.
Ahem….*in keira knightley’s voice* WHAT ARE THE CHARGES?

Seriously, reasons for why we should wagon?

Oooh questions, I nearly forgot. Although sufficient discussion has already been generated, could everyone answer these questions please?

1. How many games of mafia have you played?
2. Do you prefer Mafia or Town roles?
3. What is your favourite power role to have?
4. What is your opinion on crypto’s call for a wagon this early in the game?
kikuchiyo
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
kikuchiyo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:16 am

Post by kikuchiyo »

Darkstrike: Everyone has an opinion, I guess my issue with yours is that you simultaneously discredit the RVS while admitting that "it is fairly standard for the scum to play tricks in the RVS". It seems as though this argument may end up being circular, but it just seems a bit of a contradiction. Almost as if you are trying to stick to your guns, but agree with me as well. I don't think you can have it both ways. Also, my point is that the RVS is generally helpful in hindsight(after a flip). Not in and of itself.

Walrus Helmet post 31: Why the unvote?
Dark wrote:1. How many games of mafia have you played?
1. Off the top of my head I would say about a half a dozen, with a few ongoing.
2. Town. I find it more challenging.
3. I have only had two in past games. Neither was much fun. Also, I find this question to be extremely scummy. Information gathered from answers to such a question may help scum to extrapolate which players currently possess power roles.
4. Null tell so far.

Vote: Darkstrike_11
for question 3. I believe the term is "rolefishing".
walrus helmet
walrus helmet
Goon
walrus helmet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:30 am

Post by walrus helmet »

Say what you will about the RVS, I thought it was worthless, but in my previous game it led us to lynching mafia on day 1, so it was certainly valid there. Obviously if scum is playing intelligently then it won't reveal anything, and we shouldn't give too much emphasis on it, but it's another opportunity for scum to make mistakes out themselves. There's no reason you can't randomly vote AND ask questions.
Darkstrike_11 wrote:1. How many games of mafia have you played?
This is my third game of mafia both on this site and in total. I've only played town so I guess that wins by default. I've never had a power role. I'm fairly certain crypto wasn't entirely serious. Even if he was, Owen's weird posting style isn't very pro-town.
kikuchiyo wrote:Walrus Helmet post 31: Why the unvote?
Demonstrating my preferred style of unvoting.
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:37 am

Post by Netopalis »

1. How many games of mafia have you played? - On this site, 4. I've played a lot of games on other sites, but I don't have an exact number.

2. Do you prefer Mafia or Town roles? It really depends on the game, honestly. In some games, I really enjoy the investigative process of trying to ferret out the scum....and in other games, I really enjoy playing against the odds. It largely depends on who else is on my team, be it town or scum.

3. What is your favourite power role to have? Cop. Vigilante is prone to hurting the town more than it helps, a doctor's usefulness is spotty at best and most other roles are so rare to have that it really doesn't merit a discussion.

I think he was probably joking, and I'm lax to seriously attack someone over a joke.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Maybe its because NaNoWriMo is making me hyper aware of literary ploys that the grandiosity of Darkstrike's reply induced a mental groan as I read it. It's like pandering laced with haughtiness, and then at the end, "Oh yes, my questions, you may answer them". Ha

30ish, neither, none, wagons R good
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 am

Post by Netopalis »

For the record, I think it's a really bad idea to lynch U N Owen just because he talks funny. That may just be the worst reason for a lynch I've heard.

Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 am

Post by Faraday »

afatchic replaces guy0 effective immediately, thanks very much!
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

kikuchiyo wrote: Darkstrike: Everyone has an opinion, I guess my issue with yours is that you simultaneously discredit the RVS while admitting that "it is fairly standard for the scum to play tricks in the RVS". It seems as though this argument may end up being circular, but it just seems a bit of a contradiction. Almost as if you are trying to stick to your guns, but agree with me as well. I don't think you can have it both ways. Also, my point is that the RVS is generally helpful in hindsight(after a flip). Not in and of itself.
I say the scum play tricks, as in they will vote for each other or something, but I still discredit the RVS. As in there is little to no chance of finding these “tricks” so the RVS doesn’t tell us anything. Even after a flip the RVS can’t really give good evidence. I’m not really being hypocritical here, so don’t paint me as such please :-)
Like you said everyone has an opinion, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :)
kikuchiyo wrote: Also, I find this question to be extremely scummy. Information gathered from answers to such a question may help scum to extrapolate which players currently possess power roles.
Wow. I didn’t think that it could be seen this way. The intent wasn’t scummy, I can say that. I’m trying to gauge how people play and how they react to say, certain questions.
Netopalis wrote: I think he was probably joking, and I'm lax to seriously attack someone over a joke.
Ahh I didn’t see that as a joke. I haven’t played with crypto before, so I didn’t recognise this!
Ectomancer wrote: Maybe its because NaNoWriMo is making me hyper aware of literary ploys that the grandiosity of Darkstrike's reply induced a mental groan as I read it. It's like pandering laced with haughtiness, and then at the end, "Oh yes, my questions, you may answer them". Ha
Wow. That’s really nice of you… :? are you always this welcoming and nice? I don’t think I said ‘you may answer them’ in such a patronising way. Nor did I mean for my post to be grandiose. Don’t just insult how I write, its not relevant to the game and it just hurts feelings.

I also just realised that I haven't answered my own questions!
1. About 5 or 6
2. I by far prefer mafia roles
3. I've never had a power role before, I guess it would be cool to be a cop and try to make the town aware of your investigations without revealing your role.
4. I didn't really like it, it seemed cold and sudden, without reasoning.

There we go, hope that wasn't too grandiose for all of you.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:56 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Ahh the wounded feelings now.

Your continued elaboration on the virtues or otherwise of an RVS is mere fluff.

This comment is just a face saver:
I knew that someone would ask me to vote, then ask for an alternative. It generated discussion. It generated reactions. Both are useful.
How about, "I forgot", or "I hadn't had a chance to ask them yet" instead of lame excuses to make yourself look better?

Now, I can feel your feelings being hurt, so don't run off. Its not personal. My criticism has nothing to do with the style, its substance. The bottom line is, I need you telling a straight truth, not worrying about whether you look good or not. It means if you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't waste space trying to save face.

@crypto - if you see what I see would you believe Netapolis's offered defense to be pro-town or covering?

crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 am

Post by crypto »

Something else?
Do tell
I was joking.
Ahem….*in keira knightley’s voice* WHAT ARE THE CHARGES?

Seriously, reasons for why we should wagon?
1. How many games of mafia have you played?
Five finished games, two ongoing. And then this one.
In theory? Town. But I have yet to play as scum.
Power roles suck. VT all the way. I'd love to have day vigilante or lie detector, though.
4. What is your opinion on crypto’s call for a wagon this early in the game
It's a glowing triumph.

Netopalis wrote:a doctor's usefulness is spotty at best
No. Doc excels at playing mind games with scum at night. It's risky, but claim-related gambits have the potential to be ridiculously effective.
walrus helmet wrote:Demonstrating my preferred style of unvoting.
Why did you feel the need to do that?

My vote landed on Owen because he smoothly skirted RVS, and because cracking alignment-related jokes tend to be extremely lame and suspicious as far as I'm concerned.

Ecto, I think the trajectory of Netapolis's comments on Owen and his wagon is blindingly suspicious (except that he seems like a relatively new player), but I don't know why Neta-scum would jump to defending his scum buddy so quickly. I'm not sure we're seeing the same thing.
Darkstrike wrote:Wow. I didn’t think that it could be seen this way. The intent wasn’t scummy, I can say that. I’m trying to gauge how people play and how they react to say, certain questions.
Darkstrike wrote:3. I've never had a power role before, I guess it would be cool to be a cop and try to make the town aware of your investigations without revealing your role.
/facepalm
Darkstrike wrote:Ahh I didn’t see that as a joke. I haven’t played with crypto before, so I didn’t recognise this!
Darkstrike wrote:4. I didn't really like it, it seemed cold and sudden, without reasoning.
So you change your mind and say I was joking (I wasn't, by the way), but then pin "cold," "sudden," and "without reasoning" on me?
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

Ectomancer wrote:Ahh the wounded feelings now.
please stop being so mean
Ectomancer wrote: Your continued elaboration on the virtues or otherwise of an RVS is mere fluff.

This comment is just a face saver:
I knew that someone would ask me to vote, then ask for an alternative. It generated discussion. It generated reactions. Both are useful.
How about, "I forgot", or "I hadn't had a chance to ask them yet" instead of lame excuses to make yourself look better?

Now, I can feel your feelings being hurt, so don't run off. Its not personal. My criticism has nothing to do with the style, its substance. The bottom line is, I need you telling a straight truth, not worrying about whether you look good or not. It means if you make a mistake, own up to it. Don't waste space trying to save face.

@crypto - if you see what I see would you believe Netapolis's offered defense to be pro-town or covering?
Your criticsim is all style. Your earlier comment was essentially "wow this guy is a pompous twat". You didn't focus on what I said, but how I said it.

Your second criticism is completely untrue. I knew when I wrote my first post that people would ask for a random vote, I knew that they would ask for an alternative method when I refused. I'm not wasting space, but telling the truth.
Darkstrike_11
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Darkstrike_11
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:35 am

Post by Darkstrike_11 »

Crypto wrote:
4. What is your opinion on crypto’s call for a wagon this early in the game
It's a glowing triumph.
this made me giggle :D
Crypto wrote:
Darkstrike wrote:Ahh I didn’t see that as a joke. I haven’t played with crypto before, so I didn’t recognise this!
Darkstrike wrote:4. I didn't really like it, it seemed cold and sudden, without reasoning.
So you change your mind and say I was joking (I wasn't, by the way), but then pin "cold," "sudden," and "without reasoning" on me?
[/quote]

I thought it was cold sudden and without reasoning, hence I wrote "seemed". However other people told me it was a joke, so I henceforth took it to be so. My answer to question 4 was my own view of the comment, not others view.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 am

Post by crypto »

Then why didn't you update your view? We don't care about what it "seemed" to be. We care about what you think it is
now

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”