Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Post by Vi »

don_johnson 50 wrote:post 47.
k
so if we're not in the rvs, its time for you to place a serious vote

PaRtIcIpAtIoN iS wOnDeRfUl
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

d3x wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:Actually, Id expect you to react to my vote as you have everyone else's, so, yes. That was what I was expecting.
Considering everyone else's Votes were very clearly RVS, I find this very interesting. I asked you which it was due to the ambiguity of it. With you getting defensive and dodging for a third time, I'm getting a very bad feeling about you.

UnVote/Vote:Nm8
Why wasn't my vote clearly RVS/not RVS?
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Post by don_johnson »

is that, like a rule, or something? i don't have one yet. i just asked a question. sorry.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
pwnz
pwnz
Goon
pwnz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Post by pwnz »

The beginning of these games is always so freaking stupid and boring because nobody knows who to vote for and everybody tries to make mountains out of molehills just so that they can feel good about themselves and their pointless votes. How about we just bypass all of the bullshit and lynch the person who IS scum? *hic
vote: PorkchopExpress
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

pwnz wrote:The beginning of these games is always so freaking stupid and boring because nobody knows who to vote for and everybody tries to make mountains out of molehills just so that they can feel good about themselves and their pointless votes. How about we just bypass all of the bullshit and lynch the person who IS scum? *hic
If you really wanted to lynch scum, then you'd vote who I'm voting. Also, any reason why you always put "*hic" at the end of every post you make?
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Post by d3x »

@Nm8- You Voted with something that may or may not have been a valid reason. That's why it wasn't clear.

----------------------------

@pwnz- What makes Porkchop Scum?
Honest is easy, fiction's where genius lies.

GTKAS - d3x
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Post by don_johnson »

Nachomamma8 wrote: Also, any reason why you always put "*hic" at the end of every post you make?
i think he's drunk.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

d3x wrote:@Nm8- You Voted with something that may or may not have been a valid reason. That's why it wasn't clear.
So if you had your suspicions to whether my reasons were legit or not, you must agree in some way with my point against Ecto. Is this true?
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Post by d3x »

I don't have suspicions as to whether or not your reasons for Voting Ecto were legit, nor did I ever say I did. I asked if you were making a Random Vote or not. I Voted you for deflecting {which you continue to do} and for getting defensive.

To answer your question, I do think that extending the RVS is a bit scummy, so Ecto tips a bit towards the Scum side of my scale. Ecto wasn't the only one doing it, though. And I found your reaction more scummy than those who were trying to extend the RVS.

GTKAS - d3x
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

If you werent suspicious to whether my reasons for voting Echo were legit, then why would you ask if they were in the first place?

Why do you find my reaction more scummy than Ecto's? What scum motive do I have not to answer your question?
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Nachomamma8 wrote:
Vote: Ectomancer

QUIT TRYING TO DIRECT THE TOWN
Hey! A serious vote! Yay!
Nachomamma8 wrote:Because I don't feel like being serious right now.

Why do you intend you interrogate me so thoroughly?
Or not a serious vote....errmm ok? "Interrogate so thoroughly?" I wouldn't call one question an interrogation.
Nachomamma8 wrote:
d3x wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:Actually, Id expect you to react to my vote as you have everyone else's, so, yes. That was what I was expecting.
Considering everyone else's Votes were very clearly RVS, I find this very interesting. I asked you which it was due to the ambiguity of it. With you getting defensive and dodging for a third time, I'm getting a very bad feeling about you.

UnVote/Vote:Nm8
Why wasn't my vote clearly RVS/not RVS?
Because I wasn't clearly directing the town, it could have been sarcasm or some inside joke of yours. Who knows? You then confound the point by saying "Because I don't feel like being serious right now."
Oh ok, so that was not serious then?
Nachomamma8 wrote:
pwnz wrote:The beginning of these games is always so freaking stupid and boring because nobody knows who to vote for and everybody tries to make mountains out of molehills just so that they can feel good about themselves and their pointless votes. How about we just bypass all of the bullshit and lynch the person who IS scum? *hic
If you really wanted to lynch scum, then you'd vote who I'm voting. Also, any reason why you always put "*hic" at the end of every post you make?
Wait, vote with you to lynch scum. Ok, so it was a serious vote.

Nachomamma8 wrote:If you werent suspicious to whether my reasons for voting Echo were legit, then why would you ask if they were in the first place?

Why do you find my reaction more scummy than Ecto's? What scum motive do I have not to answer your question?
How about the fact that you are being dodgy as hell over a simple question? You made a vote, was it a serious one, yes or no, its not a complicated bit of math here. If you have a serious vote, then the last thing you should be doing is jerking somebody else's chain over whether you meant the vote or not.
There does not have to be an assignable scum 'motive' for your reaction. Instead it illustrates a mindset of a player who does not wish to divulge any information or be held to a specific opinion. By asking whether you were serious or not, d3x prevented you from later saying "What serious vote on Ecto? We were still in RVS stage OMFG you over-reactor!"

unvote; vote Nachomamma8

I don't care that you voted me. I care that you are trying to be as slippery as possible before there is even any possible cause to avoid directly answering a question, especially one as simple as whether you cast a serious vote.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Post by d3x »

If you werent suspicious to whether my reasons for voting Echo were legit, then why would you ask if they were in the first place
Allow me to clarify, I did not know if you were making a Random Vote or not. I'm guessing that your answer is that it was a serious Vote {because you still have not said}. I was not questioning whether or not the reasons behind your Vote {RVS or not} were legit.
Why do you find my reaction more scummy than Ecto's?
Firstly, Ecto hasn't responded/reacted yet. Secondly, I think deflecting and being defensive are more scummy than trying to extend the RVS.
What scum motive do I have not to answer your question?
To see if Vi would follow suit*, for one. She brought up the fact that Ecto was trying to extend the RVS in p35. After she made a comment on it, you came out with a Vote. If she didn't back your play, you could've said that it was RVS nonsense.

Disclaimer
- I'm not calling Vi scummy, I'm calling Nm8 opportunistic. Though that does beg the question...

@Vi- If you found Ecto's play scummy, why wait to Vote until after Nm8?

GTKAS - d3x
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

@Vi - We've wrangled over methods to begin a game before. You can either prepare yourself for doing it again, or you can reserve that conversation for a future MD discussion. As you pointed out when you posted first, there was no minor bits of conversation to be twisted into something useful. An RVS is nothing more than a weak attempt at beginning a conversation and ours wasn't doing that any better than it ever does. Just because you couldn't come up with anything offhand to generate post counts doesn't mean nobody else can. I don't have to participate in a zombie ritual that is practiced by those who also protest that they hate it.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by Benmage »

d3x wrote: To answer your question, I do think that extending the RVS is a bit scummy, so Ecto tips a bit towards the Scum side of my scale. Ecto wasn't the only one doing it, though. And I found your reaction more scummy than those who were trying to extend the RVS.
Why is extending the rvs scummy?? People are lackadaisical and sometimes slip up..plus it tends to be humerous and fun..i loves the rvs.
PorkchopExpress
PorkchopExpress
Goon
PorkchopExpress
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Post by PorkchopExpress »

Ectomancer wrote:My favorite classic western is Rio Bravo.
Yup. Right down to the cheesy songs.
VP Baltar wrote:For A Few Dollars More or The Wild Bunch for classic
I knew there was a reason we got along. For A Few Dollars More is my favourite of the Dollars trilogy. The Wild Bunch is just brilliant.

I love westerns. Love them. The quoted movies, Tombstone, Silverado, The Magnificent Seven, Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, Shane, Assault on Precinct 13 [/slight cheat] are among my favourites. The best western EVER is obviously Once Upon A Time In The West. *The haunting warble of a harmonica abounds*

On a more game related note:

I like what's being said in this post. Enough to vote.

unvote. vote: nm8
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being The Comedian is the only thing that makes sense."
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 am

Post by Sotty7 »

d3x Post 59 wrote:I don't have suspicions as to whether or not your reasons for Voting Ecto were legit, nor did I ever say I did. I asked if you were making a Random Vote or not. I Voted you for deflecting {which you continue to do} and for getting defensive.
d3x, do you think being defensive is a legit scum tell?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:26 am

Post by Vi »

d3x - I didn't vote Ectomancer until after Nacho because that was when I got around to posting in this thread. I won't deny that Nacho's vote made my mind up about doing it tbh.

Ectomancer - There's trying to end the RVS, and then there's completely sidetracking the discussion. Unless there's something you can tell me about how knowing everyone's favorite Westerns can help your reads on people, of course. Have you used similar methods to begin games before? (I don't recall it in any of the games we've played together)

Also,
Ectomancer 63 wrote:I don't have to participate in a zombie ritual that is practiced by those who also protest that they hate it.
You mean you've never tried to do this? (Yay learning essential life skills in marching band)

On Nacho - If his current style of posting continues, it would be no great loss to see him dead before N1.

On don_johnson - See "On Nacho".

On Sotty7 - More transparent please.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:09 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Initial reaction is that d3x blew up Nacho's vote, not really sure why. d3x did have two votes on him at the time so he could have been trying to get serious stuff going to get them off him. But two votes in the general scheme of things is really nothing. There was just something a little fake about his reaction to me.
pwnz
pwnz
Goon
pwnz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:38 am

Post by pwnz »

PorkchopExpress wrote:
Ectomancer wrote:My favorite classic western is Rio Bravo.
Yup. Right down to the cheesy songs.
VP Baltar wrote:For A Few Dollars More or The Wild Bunch for classic
I knew there was a reason we got along. For A Few Dollars More is my favourite of the Dollars trilogy. The Wild Bunch is just brilliant.

I love westerns. Love them. The quoted movies, Tombstone, Silverado, The Magnificent Seven, Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, Shane, Assault on Precinct 13 [/slight cheat] are among my favourites. The best western EVER is obviously Once Upon A Time In The West. *The haunting warble of a harmonica abounds*

On a more game related note:

I like what's being said in this post. Enough to vote.

You see? This guy just OOZES scum! He likes westerns? Are you kidding me? Lynch him now! *hic
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 am

Post by Benmage »

PorkchopExpress wrote: I like what's being said in this post. Enough to vote.

Word I like post 61 as well.

unvote vote Nachomamma8

Vi wrote: On Nacho - If his current style of posting continues, it would be no great loss to see him dead before N1.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:03 am

Post by Ectomancer »

Vi wrote:Ectomancer - There's trying to end the RVS, and then there's completely sidetracking the discussion. Unless there's something you can tell me about how knowing everyone's favorite Westerns can help your reads on people, of course. Have you used similar methods to begin games before? (I don't recall it in any of the games we've played together)
I've used a number of methods to begin games, I don't recall all of them. For direct inspiration, see my grilling of darkstrike in my last game. He claimed to like to start games this way.

viewtopic.php?t=12561&start=0

As for what can be derived from questions, it generates the type of conversational hooks that you lamented were missing from the game when you first posted. I also cast serious doubt as to whether these types of questions from your own games are any more effective:

viewtopic.php?t=12195
Vi wrote:If I could have everyone's attention, please. I would like for everyone to fill out a quick survey for future reference.

1. How many games have you played to completion on this site?
2. Do you play Mafia on other sites? If so, what is different about those sites vs. here?
3. Do you consider yourself an experienced player?
4. Which other players in this game have you played with in the last six months?
5. Do you prefer to be Town, scum, or third party? Why?
6. Who is your favorite fictional character, and why?

7. How many scum do you think are in this game?
8. Why are you filling this survey out?
9. Do you think this survey will be useful in finding scum?
10. Am I more likely to be Town or scum in creating this survey?
11. Is English your first language?
Yes, I bolded #6. Don't be hypocritical. My questions are way more interesting and accomplish the exact same thing.

d3x
d3x
Mafia Scum
d3x
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:22 am

Post by d3x »

@Ben p64- I find that allowing the RVS to continue for an undue amount of time distracts the Town and puts off ScumHunting. I find that it's all too easy for Scum to use the RVS to build a BS case on a Townie. With that in mind, I find it to be scummy to try to stretch out the RVS. Point in case...
People are lackadaisical and sometimes slip up
...this applies to Townies as well. If allowed to continue on, there is a chance for Townies to say something stupid and end up looking very scummy in the long run.

@Sotty p66- I think that being defensive by itself is not neccessarily a ScumTell, just something to watch out for.

@Sotty p68- I don't have a problem with Nacho's Vote, can you show me where I 'blew it up'?

@Vi p67-
I won't deny that Nacho's vote made my mind up about doing it tbh.
Why did his Vote make up your mind?

FoS:pwnz

GTKAS - d3x
don_johnson
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
don_johnson
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:39 am

Post by don_johnson »

vi: please explain what's wrong with my six (now seven) posts? i am still waiting on an answer to my first two questions. is there something else i should be doing?

maybe a reread is in order[/sarcasm].

don't you ever get tired of it? you know, the voting and the hanging? waking up and finding people dead? waking up dead? it just seems so... barbaric.
town 39-32
mafia 17-9
sk 0-6
Benmage
Benmage
Survivor
Benmage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:14 am

Post by Benmage »

d3x wrote:@Ben p64- I find that allowing the RVS to continue for an undue amount of time distracts the Town and puts off ScumHunting. I find that it's all too easy for Scum to use the RVS to build a BS case on a Townie. With that in mind, I find it to be scummy to try to stretch out the RVS. Point in case...
People are lackadaisical and sometimes slip up
...this applies to Townies as well. If allowed to continue on, there is a chance for Townies to say something stupid and end up looking very scummy in the long run.
Yes many things people see as 'scummy' both town and scum do from time to time.

Cases based solely on the rvs are bad cases and I doubt scum would play so poorly, but you never know.

I dont think the rvs puts off scum hunting or distracts..its fun, lighthearted, and relatively brief. I've never seen one in a mini go over 5 pages, or 4 days long...with deadlines avging 3 weeks..i think we can afford it.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”