Newbie 961 - Game Over - Town Victory

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 am

Post by CSL »

The Second Vote Count of Day One

Zajnet (1) Doubtful
Me=Weird (2) UnLoved, shadow2222
Doubtful (2) stillawesome, startransmission
startransmission (1) RealityFan
stillawesome (1) Zajnet

Not Voting: Me=Weird, skunkape

With 9 alive, the quota is 5

If deadline were to hit now, Doubtful would be executed.
Last edited by CSL on Thu May 27, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
Me=Weird
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 am

Post by Me=Weird »

Mod: You still have it down as Viral Maze for some things.

I see this game hasn't had a IC post yet, so
[SE]OMGUS is where you vote someone just for voting you. Don't do it. Don't claim VT either, as it helps scum because they want to kill PR(cops, docs) if there are any, and you'd just narrow down the possibilities. Don't do WIFOM, which is like this: "x claimed cop, and so the doc will protect him. But maybe the mafia knew that the doc would think that, so they'll kill someone else, and the doc should protect someone else. Unless the mafia knew the doc would think that, so they'll kill he cop after all." Also called circular logic. Here is a list of common abbreviations. For those who don't know, here's how to bold, quote, italicize, underline, and link:

Code: Select all

[b]What you want to bold[/b]

[quote]What you want to quote[/quote]

Or

[quote="Playername"]What you want to quote[/quote]

[i]What you want to italicize[/i]

[u]What you want to underline[/u]

[url=url address of a webpage here]The word you want to be a link[/url]

If you have any questions, ask startransmission, he's your IC, or me, realityfan or shadow, we're your SE's.[/SE]

Hi everyone. Lets kill some scum.
Vote: Skunkape

Skunks stink!! Literally!!
Show
"Me=Weird did the best "I'm a power role but I'm not going to get targeted" play I think I've ever seen." - Amished

Mini 1267, a 9p Mini Normal is Day 1, page 4.

Cheese Mafia: a 25p(?) large theme about a big corporation buying up all the little individual cheese sellers.
On hold for lack of reviewers. PM me!
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 11:27 am

Post by Zajnet »

Welcome Me=Weird.

Unvote: stillawesome, Vote: skunkape
for not voting yet.

Let's try to have no more replacements this game, kthxbai.
My GTKAS
"okay who the fuck didnt kill me." - nintendoaddict1
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 11:27 am

Post by Doubtful »

startransmission wrote: Plus,
Doubtful wrote:For no reason than randomness...
strikes me as off... why defend a random vote?
I meant "For no reason
other
than randomness".

And yeah, it sounded weird when the "other" isn't included.

I was just stating that I had no justification for my vote, and by defending that random vote, I have (tried) to stop all questions about it until further developments . (e.g. if I don't unvote and don't reply)
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Post by Zajnet »

Hey Me=Weird, do you play on salvation? I thought your name sounded familiar, and then I saw your location and that certainly sounded familiar.
My GTKAS
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Post by Doubtful »

startransmission wrote: Not a big fan of the voting in order of mod list thing. Strikes me as an RNG vote pattern, which I hate because it absolves voters of accountability, which IMO defeats the purpose of even random votes.
I agree. However, I honestly discovered the mod list voting pattern after the third vote was cast. And I'm sorry if that unintentionally distracted people from the RVS, but I think the pattern was bound to be discovered by someone eventually. I agree that following "the pattern" isn't a good decision, but wouldn't NOT voting "the pattern" make RVS impure as well?

(Note: I'm not trying to be super defensive, but I just want to affirm that the pattern I brought up wasn't intended to distract from the RVS at all.)

Question to the Mod
: How is a lynch decided when there is no majority, the deadline is reached, and two (or more) people are at a tie in # of votes? Sorry if its somewhere in the rules and for some reason I didn't read it properly.
Me=Weird
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Post by Me=Weird »

Zajnet wrote:Hey Me=Weird, do you play on salvation? I thought your name sounded familiar, and then I saw your location and that certainly sounded familiar.
Nope, sorry.

Doubtful, whoever got that number of votes first gets lynched.
Show
"Me=Weird did the best "I'm a power role but I'm not going to get targeted" play I think I've ever seen." - Amished

Cheese Mafia: a 25p(?) large theme about a big corporation buying up all the little individual cheese sellers.
stillawesome
stillawesome
Townie
stillawesome
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Post by stillawesome »

Doubtful wrote: I agree. However, I honestly discovered the mod list voting pattern after the third vote was cast. And I'm sorry if that unintentionally distracted people from the RVS, but I think the pattern was bound to be discovered by someone eventually. I agree that following "the pattern" isn't a good decision, but wouldn't NOT voting "the pattern" make RVS impure as well?

(Note: I'm not trying to be super defensive, but I just want to affirm that the pattern I brought up wasn't intended to distract from the RVS at all.)
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Post by Zajnet »

lol are we seriously applying WIFOM to the randomness of the RVS? well... this will be an interesting game.
My GTKAS
Skunkape
Skunkape
Townie
Skunkape
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Post by Skunkape »

Sorry for the late voting haha, busy day :P

Vote:UnLoved

The name says it all!
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Post by startransmission »

Me=Weird wrote:I see this game hasn't had a IC post yet
See post 19. I usually refrain from explaining semantics etc. until it is brought up in the game. If someone has questions regarding acronyms or how to do something with text then that's something that can be addressed during the game. It can be confusing and/or bog things down otherwise.
Doubtful wrote:I was just stating that I had no justification for my vote, and by defending that random vote, I have (tried) to stop all questions about it until further developments . (e.g. if I don't unvote and don't reply)
Wanting to prevent anyone from questioning your votes, no matter how random, is scummy. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as I see what you're saying. Just know that all votes are liable to be questioned and examined, so no need to be defensive. Only scum need be overly defensive of their actions. And I know that the voting order wasn't your (it seemed rather organic, I'll look at that again) idea, I was just expressing my distaste for it.
Zajnet wrote:lol are we seriously applying WIFOM to the randomness of the RVS? well... this will be an interesting game.
See post 32. RV's can and often will come up later in the game. There's information in every action, and even "random" votes can offer some insight later in the game.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 4:43 pm

While I do love a rousing RVS, perhaps a little RQS (Random Question Stage) is in order...

1. How much experience do you have with Mafia, be it here, on another site or in RL?

2. What's your favorite role/alignment to play?

3. How do feel about policy lynches? What about lurking?

4. How do you feel about the RVS?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
UnLoved
UnLoved
Townie
UnLoved
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Post by UnLoved »

Um, what is a VT?
startransmission wrote:While I do love a rousing RVS, perhaps a little RQS (Random Question Stage) is in order...

1. How much experience do you have with Mafia, be it here, on another site or in RL?

1. I've played 5 games, won 4/5 of them.

2. My favorite role to play is scum. :twisted: But I've only been scum once in my past games. :(

3. I don't feel anything about policy lynches, as in most of my games, we have not needed to do that. Let's hope this game doesn't become inactive enough for us to policy lynch. Lurking can be good, or bad. It's always good to lurk a little if you haven't posted in a while. Otherwise, someone could misread posts and say something wrong.

4. Uhh, I don't see much else to do in the beginning of the game, so I'm all for RVS. :)
shadow2222
shadow2222
Goon
shadow2222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Post by shadow2222 »

1. Very little
2 scum(i think the fact that its hard to get made me say that)
3 i am against them as i wouldn't survive 2 days with them
4 i really don't like this stage too much but what else can we do ?
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 pm

UnLoved wrote:Um, what is a VT?
Vanilla Townie, a townie with no special abilities such as a Cop or Doctor.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 6:02 am

Post by Zajnet »

startransmission wrote:While I do love a rousing RVS, perhaps a little RQS (Random Question Stage) is in order...

1. Been playing IRL for years, 4 completed games online and 3 active on another site.

2. Mafia Roleblocker. So much power :)

3. Policy lynches are uncomfortable but sometimes necessary. Lurking is annoying when excessive, but understandable when used sparingly.

4. Necessary evil.
My GTKAS
shadow2222
shadow2222
Goon
shadow2222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 6:09 am

Post by shadow2222 »

the game is evolving really slowly.We need more activity
stillawesome
stillawesome
Townie
stillawesome
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Post by stillawesome »

This is my first game of mafia anywhere, online and in RL. Locally the only games that I've been able to play with others are D&D and Poker. With Poker (and many other things) you have to work with incomplete information and try to think like others in order to put them on a possible range you can work with and exploit. Plus I lurked for like 2 days before registering. So
hopefully
I know what I'm doing.

Moderator sounds fun. 8-)

I definitely understand the logic behind them, but I think that they should be mostly be used as a second resort to replacing. I must have been dropped on my head as baby or something because I've never been too bothered by bad grammar. So unless razorback's retarded little brother is playing and is just making everyone miserable and refuses to get replaced then I'm probably not going to waste a lynch on anybody. We're all here to have fun, right? As for lurking, I mostly view that as a null tell. Just like how research and a little real-world experience shows how being able or unable to maintain good eye contact is
not
an indication of how honest someone is. Though lurking is boring and lame and you're a big smelly butt if you do it all the time.

I think it's pretty fun, especially when you have people with prior history together voting for each other. But I like answering questions slightly more. Go figure.
Doubtful
Doubtful
Goon
Doubtful
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Post by Doubtful »

While I do love a rousing RVS, perhaps a little RQS (Random Question Stage) is in order...

I have played 10-20 games in RL, but the set-ups are all fixed. (a.k.a. always 1 RB scum, 1 vanilla scum, 1 vig, 1 doctor, 1 cop, 6 vanilla town or something) This is my first game online.

I like to play VT (in RL, I always get blamed if I mess up with a PR...)

What are policy lynches? I personally think lurking is never a good strategy. If you lurk, its more scummy than if you talk and pretend you're VT. When people are waiting for a defense from you, lurking won't help your cause and will only delay the game. I've seen that when two people are just about equally scummy, people vote for the one they don't enjoy playing with naturally. So lurking won't help you. Buying time won't win you anything.

RVS is necessary... because its what we build off of. It's good in the sense that we get more information to analyze. It's bad in the sense that someone might accidentally L-1 and hammer if they're disinterested in the game, and then people will confuse that action with scummy action. Since Mafia is generally the more exciting role to play, VT's that are disinterested might drop scum-tells just like scums do. However, I like RVS if its played right, for sure.
Me=Weird
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Me=Weird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Post by Me=Weird »

To STM:
1 I've completed 4 games, 1 got reset and I'm dead in that one and also one other. I'm currently in 5.
2 Mafia. Informed minority is awesome. Of course I'm probably biased as I haven't been a town PR yet.
3 I don't like them, but sometimes they're necessary. Lurking is annoying.
4 I prefer it to RQS, but my favorite is Non-random questions.

Also, to those of you who don't have one, please get an avatar.
Show

CSL
CSL
Jack of All Trades
CSL
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Post by CSL »

No prods are needed, and I don't see any activity. I want to see flourishing of posts!
Show
"I can't kill my own best friend, especially when I can't do shit at all!" - Tragedy

"
T
H
E
T
I
G
E
R
B
L
O
O
D
L
U
S
T
W
A
S
R
U
N
N
I
N
G
T
H
R
O
U
G
H
M
Y
V
E
I
N
S
" - Amrun

V/LA from Mafia on weekends. Sorry!
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm

I appreciate the answers so far. Gives people a picture of who they're playing with... I just hoped that some discussion would be born from them.

I'm about to start my horrid weekend work shit, so posting will be spotty for the next two days. This is not a V/LA, I promise at least a post a day, but just know that Saturday and Sunday represent 28 hours of my work week. I hope to see some activity to respond to when I have the chance.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
UnLoved
UnLoved
Townie
UnLoved
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Post by UnLoved »

So, what shall we do now?
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 6:22 pm

UnLoved wrote:So, what shall we do now?
Find scum! :D If I get some good sleep I'll post in the morning, barring that in the evening for sure.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Zajnet
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Zajnet
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Post by Zajnet »

UnLoved wrote:So, what shall we do now?
Unvote, Vote: UnLoved
for making me lose the game. I know we're kinda sorta out of the RVS, but that can't go unpunished.
My GTKAS

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”