Newbie 994: Stop! In the Name of Sudo! Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

Post by needle »

theperson wrote: Lynch all Liars?
Is lurking scummy?
I think lying is rarely a townie move, unless they can prove why their lie was beneficial, I would lynch.

I think lurking where no contributions are made is more useless to the town than suspicious.
Lurking where you're contributing but just adding noise to the conversation seems way more scummy to me because it's as if you're trying to fly under the radar as town.
seth wrote: @needle
Why do you care about what we think about you so early on in the game?
I care less about what people think of me this early, and more about peoples' responses and reasoning in hopes that it would generate conversation to propel the game.
seth wrote: @Danny
Is there a reason why you don't want to answer any of the questions that have been asked? Or is there a reason why you haven't?
I would like to know this as well, Danny.
seth wrote: Vote: dimaba

Here's to hoping that not every single one of your posts is as long as 21.
What do you dislike about lengthy posts? If anything they may have more information for the town to go on.
maxmatsu wrote: "What do you think of someone hammering, specially right away?"
I think it's scummy to hammer if you don't allow the person to declare/defend themselves and/or you haven't voiced any previous suspicions of said person.

I think even if you're not hammer, but you're still in at the end and haven't really given strong reasons for your vote then it may also be suspicious.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 am

Post by dimaba »

needle wrote: I care less about what people think of me this early, and more about peoples' responses and reasoning in hopes that it would generate conversation to propel the game.
Seems like a reasonable answer to me. I don't see much reason to find the question scummy.
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 am

Post by seth »

Eh. I don't really like it so much, the question wasn't necessary to propel the game, his first two questions were good enough. Anyways, I don't like lengthy posts because then I have to read them :( If anything they may just be long because people are wordy.
iamatree
iamatree
Townie
iamatree
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Post by iamatree »

Sorry Needle (and other players) but I can't really answer the questions you have posted. This is my first time playing Mafia (at all.. not just online) so I don't really know the difference. I got into this because my friends said It was really fun :D Sorry I couldn't be any more help..

GOOD LUCK!!
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

seth wrote:@Danny

Is there a reason why you don't want to answer any of the questions that have been asked? Or is there a reason why you haven't?
First off I'm on the record as not liking "question time" and I stand by that, I don't think there's much of anything to be learned. Have I ever played IRL? Who cares? Secondly, in regards to the "technical" type questions I didn't want to swoop in as the voice of authority and shut down the discussion people were having. I will now offer these three opinions on key matters however...

Lynch all liars is a terrible policy; obviously there are sometimes where it makes sense to lynch liars but just about as often I've seen a townie make a mistake and refuse to back down or simply think it would be more convenient to lie and then get caught doing so. As with anything lying has to be judged in context. Lynch all liars is a good threat to try and prevent people from lying, but it's bad policy to commit to it. Hammering is the same way as it should always be judged within context except someone always has to do it so it's especially dumb to demonize; but if you're going to hammer you need to be confident in your instincts.

In regards to post length, I agree with seth, but maybe not for the same reasons. Long posts are unwieldy and unlikely to be significantly more convincing than just a few short lines. Thus they bog the town down in minutia and delays without really providing any marginal benefit.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 am

Post by dimaba »

I think there's something to be said for both short and long posts. It's true that long posts with too much fluff are useless, but I often feel the same way about short to-the-point replies that leave many questions to be asked. Those questions then need to be asked and answered, causing equal delay. In the end it's just a fact that everyone has a different writing style and that we'll just have to deal with them.

@iamatree: I gather from your post that you can't reply to the questions because you're unfamiliar with some of the concepts (RVS, lurking, lynch all lyars etc) that were used, so I suggest you read the relevant articles in the Wiki pages.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:13 am

Post by dimaba »

Whoops, facked up the URL: Wiki
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 am

Post by seth »

Blah. Let's get a BW going or this isn't going to go anywhere.

unvote
vote: needle
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Post by warriormode »

Alright so Seth: If u don't like long posts, does that mean ur not going to take the time to read them and analyze them? because u would need to in order to give a valid decision on who to lynch.
If not, then you wont be able to support the town and make votes with fair reasoning.
i'll just get to the point since you're not in favor of reading too much :)
Vote: Seth
iamatree
iamatree
Townie
iamatree
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Post by iamatree »

@ Dimaba Thanks for posting, It helped a bit :D Have now bookmarked it so i don't get lost.

@Seth you seem a bit suspicous for lynching someone this early in the game, especially since the deadline isn't until the 25th!
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:33 am

Seth, why'd you pick needle as the one to start bandwagoning?
Why not warriormode so your target would have more than one vote and thus be an actual bandwagon?
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:47 am

Post by seth »

@warriormode

Let's see what I said shall we?
seth wrote:Anyways, I don't like lengthy posts
because then I have to read them :(
If anything they may just be long because people are wordy.
It's like you're intentionally twisting things.

@iamatree

I'm trying to start a BW to make it more interesting, the chance that someone will seriously be lynched off of RVS is less than .001%.

@Danny

I chose Needle because I don't believe his explanation of his third question of what we thought of his scumminess. I didn't choose Warrior because he hadn't done anything scummy and I'd rather put pressure on someone scummy :)
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:27 am

Post by warriormode »

Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Seth, why'd you pick needle as the one to start bandwagoning?
Why not warriormode so your target would have more than one vote and thus be an actual bandwagon?
Why are you encouraging seth to start a actual bandwagon? Do you find bandwagons in favor of the town?
I don't really know what's most effective due to my lack of experience but if bandwagons are really effective, why don't you vote for needle?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

A round of prods have gone out; let's get this game going!
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Post by needle »

seth wrote: @iamatree
I'm trying to start a BW to make it more interesting
, the chance that someone will seriously be lynched off of RVS is less than .001%.
needle wrote: I care less about what people think of me this early, and more about peoples' responses and reasoning in hopes that
it would generate conversation to propel the game
Seth, I figure that by "interesting" you mean something similar to "propelling the game", which is my reasoning for asking my third question.

You're voting for me because you think my answer was scummy, but you are also using similar reasoning for your actions.
I feel it's faulty logic to believe people are scummy for something you're doing as well, unless you're scum. Are you?
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by seth »

Nah. Let's look at what I actually said shall we?
seth wrote:I don't really like it so much,
the question wasn't necessary to propel the game
, his first two questions were good enough
It's not that I find your answer 'its to generate conversation' scummy in general, I just don't think in this particular case it justifies you asking us whether or not a simple question puts you in scum or town light. I don't see your third question as beneficial, it sounds like you're being super careful with how the town perceives you, which scum tend to do. How does you asking us whether or nor we think an innocent question like RVS vs RQS so early on makes you scummy or not propel the game in any way? I'm not seeing any progress, I'm seeing us arguing about it which is boring and superficial.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:05 am

Post by dimaba »

Meanwhile there are three players (correct me if I miscounted) that haven't replied here since answering the random questions. Those players are Hollyquin, maxmatsu and theperson. Having taken a look at each of their profiles, Hollyquin and maxmatsu both haven't been online for two days now so it seems likely that they have lost interest, dropped out or forgotten about us. Theperson however was last online less than a day ago.
@theperson: why have you not responded for so long if you have visited these forums over the past two days? If it is a time issue, why didn't you take the time to drop us a line?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:14 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Beanman replaces Hollyquin, effective immediately.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Beanman
Beanman
Goon
Beanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 am

Post by Beanman »

/confirming
reading thread now
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Applefarmer replaces maxmatsu, effective immediately.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 am

warriormode wrote:
Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Seth, why'd you pick needle as the one to start bandwagoning?
Why are you encouraging seth to start a actual bandwagon? Do you find bandwagons in favor of the town?
I don't really know what's most effective due to my lack of experience but if bandwagons are really effective, why don't you vote for needle?
I was simply trying to understand the logic; seth claimed we needed a bandwagon but then placed a vote with no reason for someone who didn't have any votes. If he really wanted to start a bandwagon then he needed to give people a reason to vote for needle and join his bandwagon or he needed to vote for someone who already had votes and thus continue along a bandwagon.
Applefarmer
Applefarmer
Townie
Applefarmer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:03 am

Post by Applefarmer »

Hey guys, this is my first game of mafia on this site. I've had a few IRL games and one on an off-site non-mafia related forum that's quickly falling apart due to a lack of dedicated players.

I just caught up and here's what I've got for now:
seth wrote:I chose Needle because I don't believe his explanation of his third question of what we thought of his scumminess. I didn't choose Warrior because he hadn't done anything scummy and I'd rather put pressure on someone scummy :)
So the reason you vote for him is his explanation? If you don't believe he was trying to spur conversation, what was he trying to do with the question?
seth wrote:It's not that I find your answer 'its to generate conversation' scummy in general, I just don't think in this particular case it justifies you asking us whether or not a simple question puts you in scum or town light. I don't see your third question as beneficial, it sounds like you're being super careful with how the town perceives you, which scum tend to do. How does you asking us whether or nor we think an innocent question like RVS vs RQS so early on makes you scummy or not propel the game in any way? I'm not seeing any progress, I'm seeing us arguing about it which is boring and superficial.
This answers the second question: he was being paranoid... in the very first post of the game? I find this much harder to believe, especially since the question came from someone with some experience with the game. I also notice that in this post your problem with him seems more rooted in fact that he asked the question than in his explanation. Before, you said it was the explanation that bothered you, but here it's looking like no explanation he could have given would satisfy you anyways.

Or is this too boring and superficial for you? ;)

For now, I'm going to do this:
VOTE: seth

Also, if you guys want I can't go back and answer all those questions myself, but it seems that things are starting to pick up and there are more interesting things coming out that I can voice my opinion on.
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:32 am

Post by seth »

Yup! I don't think that his explanation quite fits what he asked. Generally, such an explanation looks protown right? In this case I don't think it's protown because it doesn't sound genuine as its not necessary. There's no need to ask a scummy question in order to spur conversation. I believe that he was being super cautious early on in the game over a simple question, which I feel scum tend to do.

You find it hard to believe that scum is cautious with how they do things early on in order to not attract attention? Lol. Saying that he's experienced in the game is stretching things, he's never played a game of forum mafia before. And yeah, I do have a problem with his question, I couldn't think of any reason why town would ask such a thing, so I was hoping that he could enlighten me. His answer was something I had already thought of, and wasn't satisfied with :(

Welcome to the BW!

Why can't you go back and answer those questions yourself? Or assuming it was a typo, why would you need to answer a question directed at me?

What do you think of needle asking us what we thought of his alignment based off of an innocuous questions such as RVS vs RQS? Does being careful with how town percieves you so early on in the game seem scummy to you at all?

@ Danny

I have given a reason, and I've explained why I didn't BW onto Warrior. You're making it sound like I didn't want to start a BW but that I just wanted an excuse to vote needle. I don't see why I would need an excuse to vote needle as town, so that would make me scum FYPOV right? Then why haven't you voted me? Unless there's a reason FYPOV why I'd want to find an excuse to vote needle as town?
Applefarmer
Applefarmer
Townie
Applefarmer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 am

Post by Applefarmer »

seth wrote:Yup! I don't think that his explanation quite fits what he asked. Generally, such an explanation looks protown right? In this case I don't think it's protown because it doesn't sound genuine as its not necessary. There's no need to ask a scummy question in order to spur conversation. I believe that he was being super cautious early on in the game over a simple question, which I feel scum tend to do.

You find it hard to believe that scum is cautious with how they do things early on in order to not attract attention? Lol. Saying that he's experienced in the game is stretching things, he's never played a game of forum mafia before. And yeah, I do have a problem with his question, I couldn't think of any reason why town would ask such a thing, so I was hoping that he could enlighten me. His answer was something I had already thought of, and wasn't satisfied with :(
I don't find it hard to believe that scum would be cautious, I find it hard to believe that they would be so blatantly obvious about it in the very first post of the game. Saying that I said he was "experienced" is also a bit of a stretch. I said he had some experience - all I meant by that was that he obviously has a grasp on the basic mechanics. Why would he ask the question? RQS - it's what the post is about.
seth wrote: Welcome to the BW!
Thanks, I'll be riding shotgun. ;)
seth wrote: Why can't you go back and answer those questions yourself? Or assuming it was a typo, why would you need to answer a question directed at me?
That was a typo for sure. I was talking about the "random questions" from the first few posts. I *can* go back and answer if anyone cares to hear it, but like I said, I think there are more important things at the moment.
seth wrote: What do you think of needle asking us what we thought of his alignment based off of an innocuous questions such as RVS vs RQS? Does being careful with how town percieves you so early on in the game seem scummy to you at all?
1) I think it was a random question - he's opting for RQS over RVS.
2) Yes, that would seem scummy to me, but I just don't see the act of asking that question as he did, at the time that he did as being careful about how he is perceived.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Vote Count:

warriormode L-4: Debonair Danny DiPietro
needle L-4: seth
seth L-3: warriormode, Applefarmer

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”