Newbie 1046: Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
GLaDOS
GLaDOS
Goon
GLaDOS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Post by GLaDOS »

Day One Vote Count #4

3 WhenInRome (Haylen, Deer, AwesomePoe)
1 Deer (WhenInRome)
1 Ghostlin (nikitakit)

With
alive it takes
to lynch. Deadline is January 27 at 7:30 PM CST.

Not Voting – 4 – chkflip, Ghostlin, hurristat, StefanB

Edit 1: chkflip unvoted Deer.
Last edited by GLaDOS on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Aperture Science: We do what we must because we can."
hurristat
hurristat
Townie
hurristat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Post by hurristat »

So WIR is at L-2 then, i take it
Deer
Deer
Goon
Deer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Deer »

@Mod: I'm pretty sure chkflip unvoted me.

Mod Edit: Vote count fixed.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Post by chkflip »

Constructing my eight-player read, will be finished (and therefore completely caught up) shortly.

Until then, Deer, I think you'll have to wait like everybody else. Though I will say, right off the bat, that hurri isn't looking very town right now.
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
hurristat
hurristat
Townie
hurristat
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Post by hurristat »

Normally, I would move to vote for WIR (after reviewing the thread), but as s/he's at L-2 right now, I'd like to talk about it some more so I can get an idea of who's suspicious and who is not before lynching.
chkflip wrote:Until then, Deer, I think you'll have to wait like everybody else. Though I will say, right off the bat, that hurri isn't looking very town right now.
Sorry, I hadn't read the entirety of the thread yet, so I was trying to get caught up. I've read the whole thing now.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Post by chkflip »

Awesome Poe

- Nothing strikes me as particularly odd until your second post in the game. It's not really the fact that you more or less contradict yourself in the post (because I fully grasp the concept) but moreso the persnickety attitude you have in it. I'd certainly
hope
you've been potty trained, so really that's just aggressive fluff and quite anti-town in my book. We don't need to slap-fight, we need to play Mafia. Having played a THOUSAND games, Mr. Exaggerator, you should know that.

- CWUTIDIDTHAR? See how harsh wordplay can offend people? Not exactly 'ad hom' but it's not exactly nice, either. Don't get me wrong, though, as I don't want us all holding hands singing freakin coombaya and roasting smores (s'more what?) or anything, but we should try to keep it civil.

- Only two posts later we see you again, being even more aggressive and now acquiring tunnelvision. Sure, it could be because of WIR's post between your two posts, but I see it more like scum trying to turn an FoS into a solid (looking) vote. Who are you to say that random thoughts don't get anywhere? I'm a heavy advocate for random thoughts -- I call it thinking outside of the box, which is exactly what WIR's 52 reads to me. It certainly isn't indicative to his alignment, not at all, but you seem to take anything he says and twist it to your scum-motivated liking. THEN, if blasting his thoughts wasn't enough... you... I don't even know what to call this spectacular contradiction. If thinking this randomly is worthless, why WASTE THE TIME (which is what you'd think) ANSWERING THEM? So you can build a fakecase against WIR, I see. And a weak one at that. The last sentence is like the cherry on top of this sweet scum!dae. "Your reason for voting Deer is not strong." And you picking apart three of his "worthless" random thoughts on top of a single tactic that put a sour taste in your mouth... that's better? I think not.

- Your final post strikes a chord with me as well. How do you know how scum will act? How does any of that wine help us in the
slightest
? The reddest of all the flags in this post is the fact that you point out that SCUM WANT TO BLEND IN TO TOWN WAGONS. Oh, OH, you mean like you blending so
perfectly
into WIR's wagon?

Deer

- Your RVS strikes me as odd only because I just finished a newbie game where one SE accused the other SE of this very thing... and was scum. Though, in this scenario here, it appears as if you're not serious and very much so RVS about it.

- As stated before, your second and sixth posts don't exactly match; however, I
think
I know where you were coming from. You're defending RVS in the second post by stating that it's more than fluff, but that doesn't mean (as you later clarify) that you like it any more than the next guy. So, basically, your posts two through seven read quite town motivated to me.

- Are your posts always so small? This is by
no means
a complaint, just wondering if you're bottling up the wall-beast for later or if I have these three sentence posts to happily look forward to for the rest of the game?

- Whoa... that last post seems more worried than you should be about my vote. You're still okay in my book, though.

Ghostlin

- OHSHI- thirteen posts in four pages!? Calm down, man, and leave some scumhunting for the rest of us.

- No, seriously.

- Ball-busting aside, you're either a very good townie I hope we keep around for as long as possible
or
you're the best damn scum I've ever seen. Period. Not to say you don't have the ability to do the latter, I'll just hope (until I catch a potential slip) it's the former. Keep 'em coming.

Haylen

- SHUUUUUUNNNNNNNN...

- You know, when I first read that intense wall of text in the Newbie Intro Haylen Style thread, I immediately thought "I look forward to playing a game of mafia with this person," and now? It's happening and I'm like "Crap, I'm playing way too many games to catch this woman if she's scum." Fortunately, I don't think you're scum either. Like Ghostlin, you've made a lot of progress in getting us out of RVS and into the right direction. All while being a boss IC. I can dig it.

hurristat

- Awesome! And hey, apology accepted, I'm glad you're caught up. I was kinda just giving you a hard time to gauge your reaction, it's not like I've been posting buttloads since I got my internet back.

- Do you have anything from your fresh perspective to give us now that you've read the four pages?

- Who's your
second
scumpick?

nikitakit

- Like hurri, he kinda hasn't posted enough for me to sway one way or the other, but it's noteworthy that he
has
at least attempted to contribute in the amount he's given us.

StefanB

- Language barrier aside, you try to slap it to us lurkers, you have a unique insight, you're not sheeping or buddying as far as I can tell, and overall you seem pretty town motivated. What especially pings my town!dar is the fact that you even take the time to separate Haylen's IC posts from her real posts and call her out while you're at it.

- Out of the six names that are moderate-to-fully lurky to you, which ones come off as the most scummy?

WhenInRome

- Y'know, I'm sort of stuck. I completely see where people are coming from in voting for you... but I also see where you could be a considerably misunderstood and possibly frustrated townie. Why? Because I've been in those shoes before, taking the pressure and not responding to it in the most town-motivated of fashions. So, with that in mind (as you're obviously Public Enemy #1 [which will hereby be referred to as PE#1]), I'd like for you to take the time to make a post like this one right here with your strongest reads/opinions when you get a chance and you're not posting from your iPod. Until then, you're my
second
choice for a vote.

VOTE: AwesomePoe
"Fuck you. I opened up my heart to you and you stabbed it a thousand times." - Gamma, to me, right before confessing to being the town vig and murdering my scum partner N1.
Deer
Deer
Goon
Deer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Post by Deer »

Yeah, I lean towards brevity.

I wasn't concerned about the vote, I just wanted the VC to be accurate. Wastes time if people are (for example) questioning you about your vote on me when it's not there in the first place.
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Post by chkflip »

You're so breif that I had to look brevity up in the dictionary. >.<

Point taken about the vote, though, that makes town!sense.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 am

Post by StefanB »

Okay like always first the easy points:

Nikitakit: I don't mean you should ignore Ghostlin or me, that would be strange. Beeing ignored isn't somethink you want. Ghostlin and I had a discusion a while back that was heated and it may be complicated. I just said, that if that discusion is the reason you can go in the game, you should ignore that specific discusion.
At the moment I am not voting anyone right, my suspicion at the moment is build on lurkers, because it's easy to hide amoung them and they are far more difficult to read than active players.

Okay fur the lurkers I mentioned in my last post:

I won't vote WIR since he is at L-2.
Deer ist semiactive and I don't get a bad vibe from him at the moment. But he is brief I would love to hear more from him.
Chkflip has started to play the game.
Huristat has arrived. Will give him some time.
Nikitakit Hm, he tryed, year I liked his second post, but he is posting very little. Would vote him or Candidate b.
Haylen: Yes she was usful in getting us out of RVS, but then weekend VL, than posting at 1:40. She was away since the end of RVS, and the more she is away, the more I want to vote for her. My second candidate. I am afraid that even if she got us out of RVS, that she is Candidat b.

So who will I vote at the moment: WIR, Deer, Chkflip not. Huristat is now in the game and has some time.
So it comes down to the question what I found more suspicios, posting little from the beginning or vanishing after the RVS. VOTE: Haylen I'm also frustrated because I think as one of the most experienced players she could help a lot if she was more active.
WhenInRome
WhenInRome
Goon
WhenInRome
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:49 am

Post by WhenInRome »

AwesomePoe: "Random thoughts aren't constructive"? They are VERY constructive, I think. In the beginning, we don't have a lot to go on. And with nothing to go on, it's kind of hard to put in thoughts that AREN'T random. It was page 3 when I wrote that. We're now on page 4. Now, there were things to go by, and I took some of those things, wrote my thoughts, and posted them. Since when is contributing scummy/bad? Unless you're scum, in which it is very bad.

chkflip: Only 5 posts, not a lot to go by. But from what I've seen, I'm defiantly leaning toward town. His post makes sense, it seems really like it's contributing instead of the "post that look town but upon closer examination look scummy" kind of post.

Haylen: I'm not really leaning any way. Most of her posts are IC instead of playing-posts, so I'll wait till she posts her reads (Haylen- I fell asleep on the keyboard posting in my last game)

hurri: Not enough posts to read. BTW, I'm a he.

nikitakit: Not enough posts, but I don't see how "causal inception" is scummy.

You may have noticed that I analyzed the people with the least amount of posts, it's because my free period is almost over and I cannot be late to another class. I'll get Deer, Ghost, and Stefan later. (I'll have time - huge snowstorm coming my way) But I will say, the more I read Deer's posts the less scummy he seems, and vice-versa with Poe. (God I hate iso, you can never see what post they're reply to unless it's quoted)

Unvote
FoS:AwesomePoe

mech style strikes again

Anyone who reads this gets a cookie
BEN DROWNED

Worst luck ever: Last townie alive. They lynched me. (http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16353)
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:03 am

Post by Haylen »

Just to let you know I'm in the middle of replying and giving my reads.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:39 am

Post by Ghostlin »

StefanB wrote:Just to ad somethink that we should take into accont. A lot of people are very quite, to quite to read them. Most people should post more. As alternative to lynch WIR I would sugest to lynch one of the worst lurkers, the problem is who? Lurking through game is a strategie of mafia, but to much townies are using it at the moment too. Form opinions, ask questions do somethink!
Lurkers at the Moment: Chkflip, huristat (the only one I won't lynch, because the problems should be over soon), nikitakit (still waiting on your 3rd post)
Hell: Deer and WIR could be called semilurkers at the moment and I really wait for Haylen to post. (If you subtract the IC posts there isn't that much Haylenplayerpostings) The last one may be me being impatient, she has better reason than some others, but it's frustrating.

Important: IF the DISCUSION between Ghostlin and me is the problem, just ignore it. It isn't at the front at the moment, just start to play.
This is acutally a fairly decent post: I don't believe in lynching all lurkers; however inactivity at certain times can be an indicator of scumminess. I'm hoping for more posts from nikita, quite frankly, and more content from huristat.

I wouldn't advocate the bolded seriously, tho'. If it impares your reading now, skip over it, but RETURN to it. Read both of us in iso and what we're really trying to say as the days drag on. Do not discard anything anyone says, and don't afraid to apply pressure when you've got something to latch onto.

Oh, and Ghostlin's number one mafia rule of things that annoy Ghostlin: do not ever argue, 'well, that's stupid, town/scum would never play that way.' First off, there are people who do suboptimal play in all alignments. Some of them do it as a gambit. Two, you can turn this into a case without resorting to 'too stupid to be town/scum.' Three, it's vaguely insulting. I'd rather advocate that people are competent, even if new, then not.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 am

Post by Ghostlin »

EBWOP: Oh, I
do
think all active lurkers (and what I mean is folks that don't post anything with content often) need to die by rope, using the following Occam's Razor correlary: if you're not contributing to town, you are either scum or you're not useful to us.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 am

Post by Haylen »

Sorry, I was in hospital yesterday and didn't realise I'd be in there for as long as I was. My apologies. As a warning, I have another appointment on the 31st Jan.

AwesomePoeNot much wrong with his first post. He answers all the questions I asked. But then he votes for Deer for being the last to confirm despite Deer taking roughly the same time as everybody else to confirm. Despite this being an RVS vote, it still makes me a bit wary and will be something that I take note of for reference later in the game. There is also the small matter of this quote:
AwesomePoe wrote:He has already given me such a scummy void, his post are like black darkness bottoming out under the universe.
Which I would like explaining before giving an opinion on.

I am not sure why he decided to try and apply pressure to Deer of all people. As an SE, Deer would know that just having two votes on him means nothing, two votes are nothing to worry about at this stage in the game its when there is more that there becomes a problem. The link between AP and Deer has been noted though.

Nothing else to really comment on here. Basically, I need a bit more to work with in order to gain a town or scum read.

chkflipFirst post is fine.
Oh hey, it was c.flip who gave away the ending of what I was getting at with regards to Deer being the last to confirm :< Oh well. I'll be sure to let people know next time if there's something I only want the person I ask to answer or comment on :D

I feel that his comment on AP is strawmanning:
Chkflip wrote:- Nothing strikes me as particularly odd until your second post in the game. It's not really the fact that you more or less contradict yourself in the post (because I fully grasp the concept) but moreso the persnickety attitude you have in it.
I'm not seeing any of this in the post that AP made, however, if I am wrong, I would like you to point it out to me.

I don't necessarily see tunnelling as a scumtell, although this with regards to AP is something that I would be willing to look into in the future as it is too early to tell right now.

I agree with the rest of that post though and don't see anything wrong with it. However, I would like to point out that it is pretty useless trying to find scumpairs at this stage in the game - I mention this because C.Flip asks who Hurri's second scum pick is. Although it is useful knowing who people are willing to lynch, it's a bad idea to try and pair them with other people.

I wouldn't be willing to lynch C.Flip at the present time. He is neutral, leaning town to me.

GhostlinHis questions with regards to my 'dying' comment rub me up the wrong way a bit. It seems like he is trying to gouge whether scum should kill me during the night, especially since he admits that he asks for his own purposes.
Ghostlin (to AwesomePoe) wrote:Also, a quick tip I've learned in the four or so games I've played here: unless you're being asked directly what you think someone's motivations are, do not offer free information on their behalf. It makes you seem buddying, which makes you seem scummy.
This looks like he is coaching his scumbuddy. The last sentence is ok, advising somebody not to do something because it looks scummy is not. This is something that I'm going to take a note of for later in case one of you gets lynched or nightkilled because it could be evidence that there is a link between the two of them. Can I ask if you both know each other outside of the game?
Ghostlin wrote:However, you in essence believe that since I said it's really Haylen's job to press for an answer for a question she asked (for the reasons I elaborated on) that I believe only the IC should be the one scumhunting.
I think that might be a language or internet barrier. I too believed until I read this for the fourth time that you thought I should only be the one scumhunting.

I agree with his don't sheep the IC point.

IC Hat: "You can't unvote the hammer in newbie games. " You can't unvote after the hammer in ANY game. However, it is wise to discuss during twilight. If a townie is lynched, they need to get their reads out ASAP, if a PR dies, they need to tell us their targets and results. If mafia die, it would be really useful if they would tell us their buddies ;)

Ghostlin wrote:Oh, and Ghostlin's number one mafia rule of things that annoy Ghostlin: do not ever argue, 'well, that's stupid, town/scum would never play that way.'
To add to this. Everybody plays differently, we all have a 'meta', how we play each alignment. Players can become aware of their metas and change it to suit their town meta under every alignment - however, an important thing to remember is that nobody can fully change their meta, there are always very subtle tells - usually, there's a specific tell that a player can't change no matter how hard they try.

I currently have a neutral leaning scum read on Ghostlin. Wouldn't mind lynching him if I was forced to choose somebody to lynch at this time in the game.

HurristatI definately need more to work with if I am to get a read of Hurri.

I do not understand why he felt the need to ask if WIR is at L-2 in his second post and then not follow it up with a comment or anything. Why would you vote for WIR just so you can talk more and get an idea of who is suspicious and who to lynch? Are you saying that you would normally join a bandwagon? I don't know, maybe I'm just misunderstanding the purpose of this third post. It is good that you decided not to vote WIR when he had that many votes, but I don't feel there is a need to say that you would have voted for him.

WhenInRomeFirst post is something to put away in the notes file for reference later. The comment about Deer being the last to confirm, specifically. But I think we have exhausted that line of discussion at the present time so I am not going to continue it. This can be redacted due to his sixth iso post.

His second post is fluff.

Post number 9: I'm a girl, seriously, stop calling me a dude.
WIR wrote:hurri: Not enough posts to read.
BTW, I'm a he.
Hypocrit >_> Now YOU know how it feels.

I don't really have much to comment on with regards to WIR, this is probably because I've already said what I wanted to say to him with regards to his posts. :/

Conclusion: Neutral read, I'm not seeing anything that stands out as being town-like or scum-like.

StefanBReading through his posts, I can't see anything that particularly bothers me until this:
Stefan wrote:I also don't like his we should keep informations to ourself.
So am I correct in believing that you want us to keep certain information to ourselves? If so what type of information?
This is one of those things that I would prefer people who are not Stefan to not comment on.

I notice that he posted a link to mastin's insane tells page but doesn't provide any information as to why that is relevant. Can you please explain?

I agree with his sixth iso post.

I get the feeling that Stefan is focusing way two much on people who aren't posting. Stefan, do you know the difference between lurking and active lurking?
Other people don't answer this please.

Stefan wrote:'m also frustrated because I think as one of the most experienced players she could help a lot if she was more active.

The fact that he says this just after voting me does not make sense.

Read on Stefan is on hold.[/area]

I have to move to a different room now cause I'm at Uni, will post my other two analysis when I get home.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 am

Post by StefanB »

First somethink I forgot. Thanks to the mod for repairing my quote.

Ghostlin: First thanks for the decent post. And my point of the discusion was really if it's the reason you can't get in the game, ignore it now. Very good post of Ghostlin by the way. (Okay I may think that because I Don't disagree with anythink in this)
About the stupid think: I do also think that insulting people should be the last think you do. Of course I don't think that we have someone who could be caled VI in this game.

Sorry tyred, I will comment on Haylens post tomorrow.
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:12 am

Post by Ghostlin »

Haylen wrote:His questions with regards to my 'dying' comment rub me up the wrong way a bit. It seems like he is trying to gouge whether scum should kill me during the night, especially since he admits that he asks for his own purposes.
Ghostlin (to AwesomePoe) wrote:
Also, a quick tip I've learned in the four or so games I've played here: unless you're being asked directly what you think someone's motivations are, do not offer free information on their behalf. It makes you seem buddying, which makes you seem scummy.
This looks like he is coaching his scumbuddy. The last sentence is ok, advising somebody not to do something because it looks scummy is not. This is something that I'm going to take a note of for later in case one of you gets lynched or nightkilled because it could be evidence that there is a link between the two of them. Can I ask if you both know each other outside of the game?

Ghostlin wrote:
However, you in essence believe that since I said it's really Haylen's job to press for an answer for a question she asked (for the reasons I elaborated on) that I believe only the IC should be the one scumhunting.
I think that might be a language or internet barrier. I too believed until I read this for the fourth time that you thought I should only be the one scumhunting.

I agree with his don't sheep the IC point.

IC Hat: "You can't unvote the hammer in newbie games. " You can't unvote after the hammer in ANY game. However, it is wise to discuss during twilight. If a townie is lynched, they need to get their reads out ASAP, if a PR dies, they need to tell us their targets and results. If mafia die, it would be really useful if they would tell us their buddies

Ghostlin wrote:
Oh, and Ghostlin's number one mafia rule of things that annoy Ghostlin: do not ever argue, 'well, that's stupid, town/scum would never play that way.'
To add to this. Everybody plays differently, we all have a 'meta', how we play each alignment. Players can become aware of their metas and change it to suit their town meta under every alignment - however, an important thing to remember is that nobody can fully change their meta, there are always very subtle tells - usually, there's a specific tell that a player can't change no matter how hard they try.

I currently have a neutral leaning scum read on Ghostlin. Wouldn't mind lynching him if I was forced to choose somebody to lynch at this time in the game.
1) Really, I asked for my own reasons to see if I could get some conversation out of you or if you said something that made me feel I needed to form a case around. I wanted to bring it to town's attention mostly because, while a null tell, seemed an odd thing to say as a townie. I guess my question to you on this point would be: Unless you're a PR, a townie doesn't have much to fear about dying this early in the game because wagons provide information. I've heard this statement said a lot of times in a lot of different ways through reads of different games.

Do you agree or disagree with that statement? Why or why not?

Also, no, I don't know Poe from Adam off MS. Bluntly, I suspected the person of buddying who answered the question for him.

2) That's more subject to misinterpretation: what I meant bluntly is as a big person and the IC, you're more than willing to speak for yourself and it destroys more opportunities than you don't. As chkflip commented, brevity isn't my strong suit.

3) I'm not really talking meta here. What I'm talking about is a knee jerk reaction that if someone does something that might be termed stupid, they aren't necessarly town/scum. That's an interesting point to make tho'. Tell me, did you ask if we played in previous games to get meta?

Mod Edit: Quote tag fixed.
Last edited by GLaDOS on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 am

Post by Haylen »

Ghostlin wrote:Unless you're a PR, a townie doesn't have much to fear about dying this early in the game because wagons provide information. I've heard this statement said a lot of times in a lot of different ways through reads of different games.
It's not something that I feared as a player, it's what I fear as an IC. I know that in a lot of games, the mafia like to off the IC early in the game regardless of how that particular person is playing and purely due to their level of experience. If I get NK'd, the newbies don't have an experienced player to teach them and anybody who has read much about me on the site would know that I genuinely care about the teaching experience newbies have on site and just care about them in general - that post Chkflip mentioned earlier in the 'haylen style intro thread' is proof of that.

I had two motives. Meta and to find out whether everybody knew about the basics of mafia like stuff about day and night and twilight. Meta was my secondary motive.

Deer
Deer
Goon
Deer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Post by Deer »

aw Haylen I don't get a read?

Anyways guys, I'm leaning towards scummy on nikitakit. His limited number of posts are mostly him saying "I don't have a read on this person" in a convoluted, fluffy way.

unvote, vote: nikitakit

hurristat seems to be coasting too. It's a problem but I can see him being lazy town.
GLaDOS
GLaDOS
Goon
GLaDOS
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Post by GLaDOS »

Day One Vote Count #5

2 WhenInRome (Haylen, AwesomePoe)
1 AwesomePoe (chkflip)
1 Ghostlin (nikitakit)
1 Haylen (StefanB)
1 nikitakit (Deer)

With
alive it takes
to lynch. Deadline is January 27 at 7:30 PM CST.

Not Voting – 3 – Ghostlin, hurristat, WhenInRome

Edit #1: WhenInRome did not vote AwesomePoe.
Last edited by GLaDOS on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Aperture Science: We do what we must because we can."
chkflip
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
chkflip
Stand Up Guy
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 am

Post by chkflip »

Haylen wrote:
chkflipFirst post is fine.
Oh hey, it was c.flip who gave away the ending of what I was getting at with regards to Deer being the last to confirm :< Oh well. I'll be sure to let people know next time if there's something I only want the person I ask to answer or comment on :D

I feel that his comment on AP is strawmanning:
Chkflip wrote:- Nothing strikes me as particularly odd until your second post in the game. It's not really the fact that you more or less contradict yourself in the post (because I fully grasp the concept) but moreso the persnickety attitude you have in it.
I'm not seeing any of this in the post that AP made, however, if I am wrong, I would like you to point it out to me.

I don't necessarily see tunnelling as a scumtell, although this with regards to AP is something that I would be willing to look into in the future as it is too early to tell right now.

I agree with the rest of that post though and don't see anything wrong with it. However, I would like to point out that it is pretty useless trying to find scumpairs at this stage in the game - I mention this because C.Flip asks who Hurri's second scum pick is. Although it is useful knowing who people are willing to lynch, it's a bad idea to try and pair them with other people.

I wouldn't be willing to lynch C.Flip at the present time. He is neutral, leaning town to me.
- Asking for hurri's second scumpick wasn't to create a pair, but simply to fish a reason out of him. He said WIR was his top suspect but gives no reason why. I was hoping he'd take the train to it's destination there; sorry, I will try to be more specific next time.

- Why are you willing to look into AP in particular when I bring up tunneling if you don't find tunneling to be a scumtell?

- The most attitude was when he said "Being potty trained I know how to handle my own business." It
could
read like a joke, but compacted with stuff like "Coding C++ is frustrating but really awesome too because I have to build almost everything from square one. Which is what RVS is, square one." and it becomes less joke and more 'look at me, I can be a smartypants if I want'.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:42 am

Post by StefanB »

First to all, Haylens post made me realise a fact. I know I can be hard to read because English is my second language and I can be confusing as hell. If thats a problem thats to big, please tell me and I will ask for a replacement. I don't want to ruine the game to everyone.

Haylen:
Haylen wrote:
Sorry, I was in hospital yesterday and didn't realise I'd be in there for as long as I was. My apologies. As a warning, I have another appointment on the 31st Jan.
I feel like a jerk for pressing you then and I promise to try to be polite in the posting.

What Haylen proved is (besides that I am confusing as hell) is to thinks: First context is king (so I'm not that big fan of reading the tread only in iso) and If you quote from somewhere a while back, you should say from where you quote. Her quote from me is from post 42. I think this is important exspecially later, when no one (the players name I use now is an example, not really randomed pick) will search all of z.B. Ghostlins post to find one sentence of him. So now I will chance the quote to show what I really meaned:
I also don't like his
:
We should keep informations to ourself.
To everyone that was the start of my discusion with Ghostlin about his
when it's really Haylen's job to press for an answer
post. From the context that should be clear that keeping informations for myself was not what I was arguing for. So Haylen so I can't answer this question practically only theoretically: You can keep Informations for yourself that are privat and have nothing to do with the game and you should keep informations for yourself that help Mafia more than town (Powerroles for example)

Mastin's Insane Tells: Number one has no conection to this game, right? In 43 there is no mentioning why it's important, but I talked about this page in 42 and thought providing a link would be a good idea.

My sixt iso post you mean post number 5 iso right (would be post 47 in the game)?

Focus on people who are not posting. Yeah that's right in the moment I started it, you could argue that about half of the town were not active. To get them more in the spotlight, I focused on them. Since them we have seen some more activity. I just stayed on my course because I thought it could help town. I know the difference between active lurkers and normal lurkers, see both as antitown (the act of lurking, don't mean that a lurker has to be scum) and don't see a reason to tread them different at the moment. The reason why I would really like to keep for myself (if it's not obvious)

So I should have let the last sentence out, interesting that you are concernt by it, because my reason for wishing I didn't wrote that was that it makes the vote weaker.

One think I should say to all of you is patience isn't a great virtue for me, exspecially not this week (the last has nothing to do with mafia).
I leave the vote now where it is, that posting just hit the wrong nerves.
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:45 am

Post by StefanB »

To make it eaven more clear (Yeah it didn't get really clear in the last post): I called out Ghostlin because I wanted more infos for the town in the open. (That Ghostlin is the most active player makes that really funny in the retroprospekt)
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 am

Post by StefanB »

Haylen again: This time not about me.

You wrote that you have curently a neutral read on WIR. So why are you still voting him and what do think about the wagon on him. You are the only one on this who voted fur him in RVS and gave no serios reason. He was on L-1 for a short time, so I think its relevant.

Deer: I aggree that nikitakit is a good vote. Fun fact aboot hurristat, his first post was 2 days ago.

Hurristat: Please get an avatar. Can you give us some thoughts about the game? Can we exspect you to be more active in the future?
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 am

Post by Ghostlin »

My humble opinion is that active lurking doesn't help town, it's what Hurristat is doing and it's a better scum play to conceal information than a town play. In other words, I'm done with prodding with three to four posts to get one person to post.

vote: Hurristat
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 am

Post by Haylen »

Good posting from Stefan. I personally consider active lurking to be scummy because the person could post content but doesnt, for example, posting elsewhere on site or posting fluff in the game. Lurking would be more anti-game than anti-town because they're just completely inactive.

You're right, I forgot to unvote.
Unvote

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”