Newbie 1066 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Post by Thian »

Mozamis:
I don't see myself voting for a lurker just yet. Some have stated they will not be around. So my vote isn't moving from you just yet. you are not out of the woods that easily. You stated you want to move the game along. I am assuming you want the night phase to hurry up? Why is that?
~I told you it was a bad idea to tell her she smelt like hot dogs!~
Games Completed
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Post by Crazy »

Vote Count:

Vordark
(1) - TheWayItEnds
RaudhrGarm
(0)
TheWayItEnds
(1) - bvoigt
mozamis
(2) - Thian, Vordark
Thian
(0)
bvoigt
(1) - RaudhrGarm
Trendall
(1) - mozamis
Maxous
(0)
Nobody Special
(0)

Not voting
(3) - Trendall, Maxous, Nobody Special

With 9 alive, 5 votes will achieve a lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is
March 12th
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Post by Trendall »

Yeah, the forum's gone bat shit crazy, and I'm kinda reluctant to post right now because of it, but I'm also aware that I'm taking a huge liberty by having not posted any content in this game yet, so I'll risk it.

Before I say anything else -
@mod:
Can you replace RaudhrGarm out please? He's categorically said that he's not interested in playing to his win condition, and in addition to that, post #24 reads to me as him actually trying to get himself voted out. The fact that he's still in this game is a complete joke.

Here are the notes I made upon reading through. I don't want to dwell on this stuff too much, because I feel like I'd be taking the game backwards a week or so, which is counterproductive, but here's the stuff that caught my eye:

-------------

16 - I don't like this vote at all. Thian, what was scummy about Mozamis not voting there? You're basically saying 'people who throw their vote around haphazardly are town, and people who vote cautiously are mafia', which is ridiculous.

29 - Don't like this post. Maxous wasn't defending Mozamis, he was questioning Thian's motivation for voting for that reason, which I think was reasonable enough. I also don't like bvoigt questioning Maxous giving Mozamis advice about the game. Mozamis did something really anti-town, and Maxous advised against it? Why the hell would you question that? As far as I can see, bvoigt is just trying to make links between players that are totally non-existent, which strikes me as mafia behaviour.

36 - RaudhrGarm didn't necessarily vote for bvoight because he was the first person to jump on the bandwagon. He didn't give a reason for voting at all, and then you bailed him out by answering his question for him. Don't do that again. When people ask other people questions, they're not necessarily looking for an answer, but rather a reaction from that individual player.

39 - Vordark jumps on Mozamis for not voting too. I think it's fairly obvious that Mozamis's behaviour thus far is just down to inexperience rather than some clever tactic, so the fact that people are pressuring him for it seems very shady to me.

45 - Lol, Vordark gets a 'slight-town read' off of bvoight. Wants to encourage the rest of the town that bvoight is town, but doesn't want to commit to it too much. Again, uses the ridiculous, absurd argument of 'he 'used his vote' so he's town'. Did I miss a memo or something? Vordark also uses a quote from some random guy I've never heard of that could have come from anywhere to give his argument against Mozamis credence. That's something that I've never liked either. 'My argument is correct because some guy on the Wiki said so'

50 - My answers to these questions haven't changed from last game, aside from 'how many mafia games have you played?', which would be the answer that I gave in the last game, except with last game included too ;)

63 - What the fuck? That's all I have to say to this post.

64 - Thian, can you give an example from a past game or something of a mafia playing the noob card? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you; it's just one of those things that I've heard lots of people talk about, but never actually seen happening in a game.

72 - Once again, I don't see Mozamis 'defending Raud' as relevant there. He's defending him against being replaced out, which is totally irrelevant to his alignment.

75 - Again, what the fuck?

81 - I don't think mafia would just vote for someone out of the blue without giving a reason why. This post makes me feel better about bvoigt.

85 - This post is very pro-town.

-------------

In summary, Thian and Vordark look scummy to me at the moment. Bvoight looked scummy to me at the start of the day, but he's got more and more town as the day has gone on, so I presume he was more just trying to provoke reactions from people than anything else. Mozamis looks like town to me, but I'm not sure about that, especially as I have no experience with playing against inexperienced mafia-sided players. RaudhrGarm is probably town, but I still don't approve of his play in this game at all. Everyone else, I've got nothing on at the moment.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Post by Trendall »

Nice, it showed up in the right place that time.
bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Post by bvoigt »

Thian wrote:Bvoight, your votes are coming across as your only reason ((a safe reason at that)) to get people to talk. Have you not come up with anything else other than using the same excuse ((written differently each time)). Instead of asking where people are and using your vote as leverage to get people to speak up, let's hear your thoughts on what players are doing, instead of what players are not doing.
What? Not doing something (as in, not scumhunting) can be just as bad as doing something.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Post by Crazy »

Trendall wrote:@mod: Can you replace RaudhrGarm out please? He's categorically said that he's not interested in playing to his win condition, and in addition to that, post #24 reads to me as him actually trying to get himself voted out. The fact that he's still in this game is a complete joke.
In Post #75; RaudhrGarm said he'd "be active and try to help the Village." (Obviously, I'm neither confirming or denying his alignment.)

If he wants to play this game, then he can stay. If he doesn't, then he can request replacement.

I should note, though, that if anyone were to play the game for the sole purpose of getting lynched so they could be done, that would indeed be a violation of Rule #6. All players are expected to play to their own win condition. If it's obvious that Raud or anybody else isn't doing this, then I will replace them.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Post by Trendall »

Fair enough.
Vordark
Vordark
Goon
Vordark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Post by Vordark »

Trendall wrote: 39 - Vordark jumps on Mozamis for not voting too. I think it's fairly obvious that Mozamis's behaviour thus far is just down to inexperience rather than some clever tactic, so the fact that people are pressuring him for it seems very shady to me.
Trendall wrote: Mozamis looks like town to me, but I'm not sure about that, especially as I have no experience with playing against inexperienced mafia-sided players.
So which is it? Is it obvious that Mozamis's behavior is "inexperience" and not scummy, or are you not sure because you have no experience with inexperienced mafia-sided players?
Trendall wrote: 45 - Lol, Vordark gets a 'slight-town read' off of bvoight. Wants to encourage the rest of the town that bvoight is town, but doesn't want to commit to it too much. Again, uses the ridiculous, absurd argument of 'he 'used his vote' so he's town'. Did I miss a memo or something? Vordark also uses a quote from some random guy I've never heard of that could have come from anywhere to give his argument against Mozamis credence. That's something that I've never liked either. 'My argument is correct because some guy on the Wiki said so'
Your grandiose phrasing aside, as well as your failure to note and comment on the other reasons I expressed for my read of bvoight, this is an adequate description of my post.

Mozamis is overly cautious and worrying too much about what others are thinking of him. This looks scummy to me. If the more experienced scum hunters disagree, I am interested in understanding why.
Vordark
Vordark
Goon
Vordark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by Vordark »

Unvote: Mozamis
Vote: TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds wrote:@ NS
6. I don't feel like there is a cut and dried answer to this one. Scum can go lurking to avoid suspicion, but some people have a passive playstyle. Depends on how much they lurk and why i suppose.
Apart from your vote near the top of page one TWIE, I cannot find a single post of yours that is actually contributing to the discussion. This looks like lurking but trying to not
look
like you're lurking.
Vordark
Vordark
Goon
Vordark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Post by Vordark »

Frrrkrrkr...

Unvote: Mozamis
Vote: TheWayItEnds
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Post by Trendall »

I was writing those notes as I was reading along, and then did a summary at the end. He seemed obvtown to me at the start, but then Thian brought up the thing about inexperienced mafia playing the noob card, and it occurred to me that I've never actually played a noob-maf before, which made me uncertain. That's where that contradiction came from, and to answer your question, I am now not sure, leaning towards him being town.

I'm not particularly experienced at this game myself to be honest, so you may be right and I may be wrong about this specific situation, but self-interest and cautiousness are both things that can be seen in both town and mafia players. Self-interest can signify mafia, a town power role, or just simply someone who doesn't want to be lynched. Nobody likes being lynched in this game (apart from RaudhrGarm, apparently), and sometimes new players take a while to adjust to the idea that being lynched doesn't mean that you've lost the game. I think it's reasonable for a town player to be concerned about what other players are thinking about them, and while it's ultimately the town's responsibility to vote correctly rather than individual players' responsibility to 'act right', not being aware of or concerned with how other people are interpreting your actions is careless play, in my opinion.

As for cautiousness, I think that's usually more to do with a person's personality and playstyle than their alignment. I've been lambasted quite a lot on this site myself for being 'too cautious', and I think that's mostly because I generally hate getting things wrong and am quite perfectionistic. It's an area of my playstyle that I'm working on changing, however.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Trendall »

And yeah, doing an ISO, TheWayItEnds has said NOTHING this game. Not a single thing. No reads, no applying pressure, no anything. Voting for him until he fixes this.

VOTE: TheWayItEnds
Vordark
Vordark
Goon
Vordark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Post by Vordark »

Nobody Special wrote: If you have any questions about how we play here, feel free to ask me. My actions are governed by this article in our Wiki. If you haven't already, you might consider browsing our Wiki; especially the articles Newbie Guide and Commonly Used Abbreviations.
Ask you here or in a PM?
Nobody Special wrote: 1) Are you having fun yet?
2) Chocolate or vanilla?
3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?
4) Lynch all Liars?
5) Math or Sports?
6) Lynch all Lurkers?
7) What do
you
think of the RVS?
1. Absolutely!

2. Coffee.

3. This is my first here. I was exposed two weeks ago when someone started a Lovecraft-themed game on another site, which is ongoing.

4. Leaning toward yes. It's hard enough sorting things out without additional deception.

5. Both. As long as the sport is fly fishing.

6. Yes, for reasonable definitions of "lurking". I worry more about people who write many content-free posts than I do about people who post every other day but provide quality.

7. I think RVS is harmless in the net, but I like seeing votes that are backed with
some
reasoning as early as possible, even if that reasoning amounts to only +0.5% suspicion over everyone else. Reading the games here, real discussion doesn't seem to start until there are a few votes on someone and without real discussion there is nothing
but
RVS.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Post by Crazy »

Vordark wrote:Ask you here or in a PM?
Here in the thread. Please note Rule #4:
da rulez wrote:4. Do not discuss this game with anybody else outside this game thread, unless if you're mafia, and in that case, only during Night, only in your assigned quicktopics. (Similarly, don't talk about other ongoing games in this thread.)
Vordark
Vordark
Goon
Vordark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Post by Vordark »

@Crazy - Thank you for clarifying.
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

Nah, I was pretty hardcore lurking over the weekend while I wrote papers to catch up on homework, so my posts are only on the things that stood out on my quick reads.

That being said, I reread the thread today, and still feel like while moz appears scummy, he also (even without the claims) looks like a newbie confused about how things on the site work (voting and such). No real read here, leaning town.

bv is an interesting read, he did vote for 4 players in as many pages, but at least its helping to spur discussion, of which we had precious little over the extended weekend(not that I helped much). I do like a few of the votes he placed... probably town.

RG is......Confused. While I didn't especially appreciate the lynch me so i can play elsewhere comment, and the strange, start with night phases comment. I think that he, like moz, hasn't seen much of this site, but i really dont know where to put him.

Max posted a few questions and went lurking, NS has as much posted content that I do (read: very little) aside from his copy pasted questions at the start. Haven't had much time to look at either vordark or trendall, who both hopped on my wagon pretty quick, but for a fairly good reason.

I dont know what to think of Thian at all on page one he shows up and immediately starts painting moz and RG as scummy, which at the time seemed like a possibility, but now they just look like easy lynch bait, but he continues to tunnel mozamis. Possibly scummy.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

To that end,

Unvote, Vote:Thian
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 pm

Post by Crazy »

Vote Count:

Vordark
(0)
RaudhrGarm
(0)
TheWayItEnds
(3) - bvoigt, Vordark, Trendall
mozamis
(1) - Thian
Thian
(1) - TheWayItEnds
bvoigt
(1) - RaudhrGarm
Trendall
(1) - mozamis
Maxous
(0)
Nobody Special
(0)

Not voting
(2) - Maxous, Nobody Special

With 9 alive, 5 votes will achieve a lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is
March 12th
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Post by mozamis »

yes, for anyone who rereads this thread, page four -after post 87- is in the wrong order. the forum went down last night.
detailed posts from trendall HUZZAH!
So to try and get Maxous to post
UNVOTE VOTE MAXOUS
You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:26 pm

Post by mozamis »

Thian wrote:Mozamis:
I don't see myself voting for a lurker just yet. Some have stated they will not be around. So my vote isn't moving from you just yet. you are not out of the woods that easily. You stated you want to move the game along. I am assuming you want the night phase to hurry up? Why is that?

LOL i find this post a bit ridiculous "you obviously want the night phase to hurry up (COS MOZAMIS IS SCUM PEOPLE!)
i think its fairly obvious that i just wanted the game to speed up a bit.
And after lots of juicy posts last night ,it has :)
Either Thian is town and genuinely thinks i am scum, or he's scum.
Without trying to take it personally, i am finding his posts a bit scummy. all this exageration of my comments, and "sinisterisation" (not a real word lol?) of my comments seems a bit scummy.
I'm keeping my vote on maxous until he posts, but thian looks dodgy to me. Unless she's just very clumsy town *bangs head against brick wall* :)
You've reached that age, Listy. 24, 25...Your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag of surrender and without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard...
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Post by mozamis »

and vordark: you fool, this is bat country! ;)
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Post by mozamis »

to keps tabs on this mini bandwagon on the way it ends, order of votes:
1)bvoigt.
2)vordark
3)trendall.
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Post by mozamis »

ps anyone else feel that Nobody special is just blending in a bit?
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Post by mozamis »

lol I've read to many Poirots -suspect everyone so at the end you can say "See? Told ya so!" :)
mozamis
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
mozamis
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:38 am

Post by mozamis »

hmm, second time maxous has been browsing this forum without posting. is that suspicious or laziness?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”