Newbie 1070 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

Vote Count

Not Voting (9) - barefoot-fighter, Jack Forman, Quaroath, T-Bone, splitfarvle, Ellyssa, Stels, muh316, Rain

With 9 alive it is 5 to lynch.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Post by Quaroath »

Alduskkel wrote:
Also, none of the votes above counted because they were pre-game.
I knew that, i was, get this, playing around! :D
One Hamster to rule them all!
One Hamster to find them!
One Hamster to bring them all!
And in the sawdust bind them!
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Post by Quaroath »

oh yeah
Vote: Stels[/] Just ya know, being a snert.
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 am

Post by Stels »

Quaroath wrote:I"m not angry, or even more than mildly annoyed. Split knew I meant him, which made my post make sense to the person i was ribbing. Beyond that it shouldn't be an issue and Stels making it one is... amusing. That said I don't know anyone in the game, first game, etc etc. Once the game starts I'll stop joking around, until then it's all just idle time where I'm antsy to get started.

This ain't my first forum rodeo, I know how it works.
I didn't make an issue. I was simply stating the fact that you could have been wrong.
Now to clarify, since you both have no history on this forum, does that mean you know splitfarvle from somewhere? From another forum or real life?
barefoot-fighter wrote:How about ICs, have we got any?
There is one IC in each newbie game. According to the first post by the mod as well as the ones that follow after, our IC is V/LA until today, so he should post sometime soon.

VOTE: T-Bone
I shall not submit to the hypnotoad.
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:49 am

Post by muh316 »

Vote Barefoot-fighter
For confirming last. Scum confirm last to buy themselves time.
Rain
Rain
Goon
Rain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 am

Post by Rain »

/confirm

Sorry for the delay.

Good day, folks. I am your IC for this game. If you have any questions, I will provide you answers within the best of my capabilities. Otherwise, the glossary, the newbie FAQ's, or the general FAQ's should help.

I'll start off with some of this forum's mechanics. Votes are usually placed in bold with the following format:

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: Username[/b]

Quotes are similar to the following:

[quote="Darth Vader"]I am your father.[/quote]

Links have to be:

[url=www.google.com]Whatever's in here will be a link to Google's site.[/url]

To verify that you have typed your formatting correctly, you may preview your message before submitting.

Now, onto the games. Typically, a mafia game will start off with a Random Voting Stage, where people vote for mock reasons, if at all. This serves as an icebreaker. There is no clear point defining the end of RVS, but it is generally considered good Town play to scumhunt as soon as possible to get out of RVS. Some tips are to form bandwagons to judge people's reactions, noticing voting patterns, and see which players defend whom.

At this point, I would like to point out that there are no strict rules to follow for an easy victory. Whatever's on the wiki is inherently outdated; the information posted on the wiki may be used by scums to their advantage as well. Whatever I say should be taken with a grain of salt as you don't know whether I'm scum or not. Critical thinking is key here.

There is an exception though, a rule that is not meant to be broken. Do
not
self vote. Even if you are driven to L-1 (a capital L usually denotes a lynch happening. The succeeding number represents the number of votes before a lynch happens.), you are not dead yet. There is always hope. Stay alive and fight for your cause. Only the French surrenders. Are you French?

More will probably come, but I would like to gauge people's experience first rather than to smack you with a taller wallpost.

That being said, Quaroath is correct in:
Quaroath wrote:Please pick an avatar Jack, makes i'ding posts and keeping em straight sooo much easier.
Vote: Jack Forman
All cats die. Socrates died. Therefore, Socrates was a cat.
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:48 am

Post by Stels »

You could also just use this too... to make it nice and shiny.

[vote]Username[/vote]
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 am

Post by Quaroath »

Cracking tags are a pain didn't getthe bold.
vote: rain
cause I wanna vote for the ic first!

An no I have no idea who anyone here is online or offline.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:32 am

Post by T-Bone »

I'm French. Screw you Rain.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 am

Post by Quaroath »

Damn frenchie!
Rain
Rain
Goon
Rain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:33 am

Post by Rain »

@T-Bone
I mean no disrespect =)

@Quaroath
At the bottom of the page, the forum lists who's currently browsing the forum board. Note however that you have the power to never reveal yourself online, even when you are browsing.

Do you think being an IC is a scumtell?
Ellyssa
Ellyssa
Townie
Ellyssa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

Post by Ellyssa »

Rain wrote: There is an exception though, a rule that is not meant to be broken. Do
not
self vote. Even if you are driven to L-1 (a capital L usually denotes a lynch happening. The succeeding number represents the number of votes before a lynch happens.), you are not dead yet. There is always hope. Stay alive and fight for your cause. Only the French surrenders. Are you French?
@Rain To the above, welcome and thanks for the info! Doing some reading (since there's no real newbie-mechanics-question thread on the forums), I think that even this rule may have an exception, though not very often. But a possible one here may be when you are VT and at L-1, and the town isn't in lylo or mylo but is right up against a deadline and a no-lynch would make it worse (say odd number of players at the moment) for them. So they can look at your posts the next day knowing you were a confirmed (dead) townie. Is that right? Or should you not self lynch even then because that's one less town-aligned player the next day and there's always.. the chance that the mafia won't get a kill at night?

@Rain I'm not sure if that last question was for all of us, but if so, I think no, since the roles are given out randomly. That being said, we sure shouldn't take all their word as gospel outside of the tips on how to play!

And since Quaroath changed his vote, VOTE: Stels because Recettear gave me fits (though it was nice). :)
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 am

Post by Stels »

Rain wrote: @Quaroath
At the bottom of the page, the forum lists who's currently browsing the forum board. Note however that you have the power to never reveal yourself online, even when you are browsing.

That refers to my question on whether he knows splitfarvle or not...

@Ellyssa: Oh no you didn't... You did not just say that...

@Rain: No, being an IC isn't a scumtell. If you have an IC scum partner, it is advantageous to the scum, but the IC status isn't a scum-tell. Same thing goes for SE's and such.
Quaroath wrote:Split knew I meant him, which made my post make sense to the person i was ribbing.
So you met him somewhere before? That does apply to the "know" part of my question. If not, then my previous argument comes into place about this seemingly useless subject...
Ellyssa
Ellyssa
Townie
Ellyssa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 am

Post by Ellyssa »

@Stels I don't get the impression he meant they knew each other before, just more along the lines of Split immediately knowing what he meant cause they were both online at the same time and both posted in the thread right after. And what? I said it was a nice game!

@Rain Regarding my earlier question, I meant just lylo, I re-read the definition of mylo and it doesn't apply there; you definitely wouldn't want to lynch there!

@Quaroath Why did you say that you knew Split was online at 12:32, yet you say that
Quaroath wrote:An no I have no idea who anyone here is online or offline.
Preview edit: .. never mind, wait, I think we're just reading the line wrong (re Rain's reply too) and he meant "I don't know anyone here, online or offline" as opposed to "I don't know how to tell if anyone here is online or offline"

Never mind, Quar, ignore that bit, but leaving it in there in case anyone else was as confused as me.
splitfarvle
splitfarvle
Goon
splitfarvle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:02 am

Post by splitfarvle »

I'll go ahead and confirm that I don't know Quaroarth, and also that I got the joke.

Vote: muh316
because the Mario avatar caught my eye and I want to test my sick voting skillz before things get serious.
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 am

Post by Quaroath »

Rain wrote:@T-Bone
I mean no disrespect =)

@Quaroath

I'm aware of the who's browsing/anon functions. Thats what caused the little dust up pregame with me and skels.

And no, being an IC isn't a scum tell. Assuming the mod distributes the roles randomly that is, and prefer giving the mod the benefit of the doubt there. I just wanted to vote for ya for a crappy reason. :)
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 am

Post by Quaroath »

Ellyssa wrote: @Quaroath Why did you say that you knew Split was online at 12:32, yet you say that
Quaroath wrote:An no I have no idea who anyone here is online or offline.
Preview edit: .. never mind, wait, I think we're just reading the line wrong (re Rain's reply too) and he meant "I don't know anyone here, online or offline" as opposed to "I don't know how to tell if anyone here is online or offline"

Never mind, Quar, ignore that bit, but leaving it in there in case anyone else was as confused as me.
As much as you say ignore it, just for clarities sake to hopefully bury the pregame inanity in PREGAME. I don't know anyone else in the game in any form shape or manner outside this specific game. knew split was online because it said at the bottom of the page that he was looking at the thread at the same time I was, when i made the post at 12:33 am PST that it was scummy to be on at 12:32 am PST. Thats where the pot meet kettle crack comes in.

I will refuse to address this inane conversational thread henceforth. If what I just said isn't enough for everyone... *shrug*
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 am

Post by Quaroath »

EBWOP: I hope none took that previous post as a personal shot (Especially Ellyssa), it's just a little silly that Skels blew a joke out of proportion like he did and I don't want to leave a grey area people can float in on it.
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 am

Post by muh316 »

Ellyssa wrote:
Rain wrote: There is an exception though, a rule that is not meant to be broken. Do
not
@Rain To the above, welcome and thanks for the info! Doing some reading (since there's no real newbie-mechanics-question thread on the forums), I think that even this rule may have an exception, though not very often. But a possible one here may be when you are VT and at L-1, and the town isn't in lylo or mylo but is right up against a deadline and a no-lynch would make it worse (say odd number of players at the moment) for them. So they can look at your posts the next day knowing you were a confirmed (dead) townie. Is that right? Or should you not self lynch even then because that's one less town-aligned player the next day and there's always.. the chance that the mafia won't get a kill at night?

And since Quaroath changed his vote, VOTE: Stels because Recettear gave me fits (though it was nice). :)
I was actually in a situation like that once. 10 minutes to deadline and 3 people were only active. I was at l-1 and nobody else was there to vote me. I came at the last minute and self-voted, I figured it was better to get a lynch day 1.

splitfarvle wrote:I'll go ahead and confirm that I don't know Quaroarth, and also that I got the joke.

Vote: muh316
because the Mario avatar caught my eye and I want to test my sick voting skillz before things get serious.
That Mario avatar was there because of a Mario themed game :)

One more thing, remember, the IC can be scum. He can give out all this good info and there might be an evil mastermind behind him. So just keep that in mind. Its not that I'm accusing Rain of anything
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:17 am

Post by Quaroath »

muh316 wrote:One more thing, remember, the IC can be scum. He can give out all this good info and there might be an evil mastermind behind him. So just keep that in mind. Its not that I'm accusing Rain of anything
QTF. Though, I'd hope that Rain has a IC mode and a player mode. Laying stuff out as "From the IC to forward the scum line if the IC is scum is.. well.. scummy. (ha) That's not a comment of Rain either, just a comment on the IC system as a whole.
Ellyssa
Ellyssa
Townie
Ellyssa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:39 am

Post by Ellyssa »

Quaroath wrote:EBWOP: I hope none took that previous post as a personal shot (Especially Ellyssa), it's just a little silly that Skels blew a joke out of proportion like he did and I don't want to leave a grey area people can float in on it.
@Quaroath None taken, I got what you meant (in the end).

It's just dangerous to discuss or bring pre-game stuff into D1 at all, I guess, since at that time the mafia assumedly are still communicating with each other and could damned well be orchestrating some sort of ploy. Though I guess if they did try that in the QT, the mod would probably step in rather harshly. Not sure whether to ultimately throw out that whole conversation or keep it in mind after a few people flip their alignments though, but I didn't read that post as a personal shot.
Jack Forman
Jack Forman
Townie
Jack Forman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Post by Jack Forman »

So to start off I just got back from a vacation and that is why I have not been posting.
Quaroath wrote:Please pick an avatar Jack, makes i'ding posts and keeping em straight sooo much easier.
Rain wrote:That being said, Quaroath is correct in:
Vote: Jack Forman
Quaroath and Rain if you look at my join date I have only been playing a little over a week, I work, the mafia servers have been difficult, and as I stated in my first post to say hello I mentioned I was out of town and would not post til today. Therefore I apologize for any inconvenience or difficulties I may have put on anyone to read my only post in this game.

As for my vote I am going to no vote, it is day one there is not enough to place a vote on someone. I think that RVS is a dumb ass way to pick someone to vote based on their avatar or no avatar picture or even because you dont like someones name. No vote is a good way to go anyways... why kill off someone in RVS, that townie (you are most likely to lynch a townie D1 anyways) could be the person you need to win this game. So why make the game easier for the mafia, vote with me in a no vote and lets have a have a good fun game everyone.

Vote: No Vote
Fuben84 is my xbox name.
I Love Beer!!!
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Post by Quaroath »

Jack Forman wrote:Quaroath and Rain if you look at my join date I have only been playing a little over a week, I work, the mafia servers have been difficult, and as I stated in my first post to say hello I mentioned I was out of town and would not post til today. Therefore I apologize for any inconvenience or difficulties I may have put on anyone to read my only post in this game.

As for my vote I am going to no vote, it is day one there is not enough to place a vote on someone. I think that RVS is a dumb ass way to pick someone to vote based on their avatar or no avatar picture or even because you dont like someones name. No vote is a good way to go anyways... why kill off someone in RVS, that townie (you are most likely to lynch a townie D1 anyways) could be the person you need to win this game. So why make the game easier for the mafia, vote with me in a no vote and lets have a have a good fun game everyone.

I noticed you were new, I was just asking you to get an avatar asap (which would be now, since you have) =D It's just friendly advise, we weren't jumping on you (at least, I wasn't). I understand outside of the game, I work 60 a eek and am in a Master's degree program. I know time crunch! It would have been a bigger issue (no avatar) after 5 or so pages.

That said... No voting is not really a good thing, it actually strikes me a bit off kilter. The RVS has function, putting people under pressure to spark conversation. No one (one hopes) will get lynched off the RVS and without the information it generates we can't really move forward with the game, we end up holding hands and singing "Ashes, Ashes, We all fall down"

VOTE: Vote: Jack Forman in a for reals not RVS vote manner. Slighly suspicious that you want to slow the flow of information.
Ellyssa
Ellyssa
Townie
Ellyssa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Post by Ellyssa »

Jack Forman wrote: As for my vote I am going to no vote, it is day one there is not enough to place a vote on someone. I think that RVS is a dumb ass way to pick someone to vote based on their avatar or no avatar picture or even because you dont like someones name. No vote is a good way to go anyways... why kill off someone in RVS, that townie (you are most likely to lynch a townie D1 anyways) could be the person you need to win this game. So why make the game easier for the mafia, vote with me in a no vote and lets have a have a good fun game everyone.

Welcome back, hope your vacation was a good one!

No one gets killed from RVS alone, it's one of the ways to build impressions on people and generate discussion. Sort of throwing all the votes into the soup pot and seeing what conversation comes up, and who looks the most suspicious. RVS is sort of an ice-breaker to get people involved in the game and the votes aren't meant to be lasting.

Was that a true no lynch vote, or simply saying you don't plan to vote at the moment? The problem with no-lynch is that the Mafia will then get a free NK on a townie on Night 1, and then we'll be down to 6 vs. 2, and that's being optimistic (they could hit a power role instead of a vanilla townie). No lynch is very close to the worst move for Town and one of the best possible D1 outcomes for the Mafia, if I'm not wrong... but I'll let you comment on that first before putting real votes anywhere.
Rain
Rain
Goon
Rain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Post by Rain »

I don't really like splitting my posts in two, one part from an IC point of view and the other from a player's PoV. It looks way to corny.

About a townie being at L-1 at deadline, I think it says a lot more about the rest of the town rather than the player being driven to L-1. I don't want to make blanket statements since it really depends on the circumstances. That being said, my response would probably to tell the other players to man up and lynch that person. Self voting makes me want to grate a kitten.

@Jack Forman
I think enough people have point out the flaws of No Voting. I will just say here that they are, in fact, correct. Please vote.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”