Newbie 1079: Feed the Lynch Mob (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Post by Equinox »

Vote Count 1.01Traveller (2) - tarsonisocelot, King of Harolds
bristep123 (1) - GreyICE
GreyICE (1) - Traveller
King of Harolds (1) - bristep123
pandabear (1) - thil13
tarsonisocelot (1) - pandabear
thil13 (1) - Sn1pe29

Not Voting (1) - Nachomamma8

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline is Thursday, April 7, 2011, at 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4).
Last edited by Equinox on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King of Harolds
King of Harolds
Townie
King of Harolds
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Post by King of Harolds »

Everyone from Sicily is a Mafiosi! My biased and stupid opinion says so!
tarsonisocelot
tarsonisocelot
Goon
tarsonisocelot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Post by tarsonisocelot »

I will have an avatar tonight, my netbook contains neither images of an appropriate size nor editing software.
Anyway, I don't think an actual mafia player would claim to be an innocent Sicilian when accused. It seems more like the ki nd of thing a slightly trollish townie might say. I could easily be wrong, but in the only other game of mafia I have ever played the Day 1 lynch was a townie who thought it was amusing to claim to be mafia.
Unvote: Traveller,Vote: Nachomamma8

Since you have yet to vote for anyone and I want to see how you respond.
DemonHybrid:Tarson literally took a phallus-shaped knife and fucked my brain with it near the end

My name is Celestia, Princess of Equestria:
Look on my works, ye Mighty and despair!
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Hello all, your friendly neighborhood IC here. IC stands for inexperienced-challenged, meaning that I've played a whole lot more games on this forum than you are, and thus are sufficiently familiar with the metas and workings of this site. First off, it's quite important to note that I have ulterior goals in addition to guiding you all through this game; firstly, I play to win, and I do have the same chance of being a bad guy as the rest of you all. Secondly, it is my goal to rub some of my play off on you all so I can eventually send you out as clones to take over this forum and overthrow its resident Admins.
There are a few tl;dr points I would like to present if you're too lazy to read the greatest guide ever created for mafia players; they are essential and important rules to follow.

1. Don't No Lynch on Day 1. Yes, most likely we will be lynching a townie on the first day. However, this does not mean that we have no shot of lynching a mafioso on the first day. If we no lynch, all we do is reduce our chances of killing mafia to zero, take away the information gained from a lynch, and let the mafia get a free shot on any of the power roles we have. Keep in mind that it is not guaranteed that there is a cop this game, and even if there was, he has a high chance of being shot.

2. Don't self-vote. There is rarely a time in a mafia game where the game cannot be turned around; sometimes, all it takes it brilliant play by one person to turn the win completely around. As a result, never self-vote and never resign because you could be that person who is destined to win it for your side. Resigning in mafia would be like a team resigning in double-overtime in the Superbowl; it's disappointing for everyone involved, and it won't make people like you at all.

3. Don't quickhammer. Remember that when we lynch a majority, the day is done and that person will never be able to influence the results of this game again. So before you hammer, think: Can this person still help us? Does this person still have a decent chance of being town? If you say 'yes' to either of these questions, you need to step back and take a good, hard look at everything again.

Above all, have fun and all that cheesy crap. This is a game, and as a result, it should be fun. If you aren't having fun, don't be afraid to replace out; the mod won't hate you if this just isn't for you. I will warn you that as you climb the ranks in this forum, you'll also realize that even these rules aren't absolute, and you'll find plenty of exceptions.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Anyways, onto game stuff.
tars wrote:Anyway, I don't think an actual mafia player would claim to be an innocent Sicilian when accused. It seems more like the ki nd of thing a slightly trollish townie might say. I could easily be wrong, but in the only other game of mafia I have ever played the Day 1 lynch was a townie who thought it was amusing to claim to be mafia.
This is a good thought, so let me supply some reasoning behind it. Mafia's primary goal is to survive; it hurts a lot more for the mafia to lose a member than it does for the town. As a result, someone who is nonchalant about dying is more than likely to be town. Like all things though, you need to examine whether the nonchalantness is faked; it could just be a good Mafia.

But for now,
Vote: pandabear
Everyone else's RVS votes were more joking and playful, but yours seemed serious. Was it? If so, why do you believe confirmation times are directly related with whether someone's scum or not?

Quote tag fixed. (Equinox)
Last edited by Equinox on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

pandabear
pandabear
Townie
pandabear
Townie
Townie

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Post by pandabear »

Nachomamma8 wrote:
But for now,
Everyone else's RVS votes were more joking and playful, but yours seemed serious. Was it? If so, why do you believe confirmation times are directly related with whether someone's scum or not?
No, the vote itself was random but was linked to the fact that I was just venting out my slight frustration with the long confirm time to start (which I cannot blame solely on tars because he was replacing the two players prior to him who did not respond).
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Nachomamma8 wrote:*SNIP*
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
tarsonisocelot
tarsonisocelot
Goon
tarsonisocelot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Post by tarsonisocelot »

GreyICE wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:*SNIP*
That poor cat!

That guide was a really good read, nacho. Thanks for the link.

UNVOTE: nachomomma8VOTE: GreyICE
Y so mean to dat cat?
DemonHybrid:Tarson literally took a phallus-shaped knife and fucked my brain with it near the end

tarsonisocelot
tarsonisocelot
Goon
tarsonisocelot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 pm

Post by tarsonisocelot »

pandabear wrote:
Nachomamma8 wrote:
But for now,
No, the vote itself was random but was linked to the fact that I was just venting out my slight frustration with the long confirm time to start (which I cannot blame solely on tars because he was replacing the two players prior to him who did not respond).
I'm a she. Just saying.
And no problem, it must have been annoying to spend so long waiting after you thought the game was about to start.

bristep123
bristep123
Goon
bristep123
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

Post by bristep123 »

That cat is giving me seizures. I'm more of a dog person.
Sn1pe29
Sn1pe29
Townie
Sn1pe29
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Post by Sn1pe29 »

Since this is my first game, I'm curious of how this all works.

Which set ups out of the 4 possible favor the town? And which favor the mafia? Or are they all pretty equally weighted?
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Meh. Normally I'd be frowning on setup speculation, but this is a newbie.

The 2 mafia, 7 VTs is the worst setup for the town, obviously.
2 Mafia, 6 VTs, 1 doctor is neutral. A single doctor protect can be cool, but doesn't buy us an extra lynch, meaning that the major use is to keep a good player alive longer, make the scum take questionable shots over 'optimal' shots.
2 Mafia, 6 VTs, 1 Cop, is slightly town leaning IMHO. Cops are awesome. You can catch the scummiest person, or keep them from being a mislynch. If it prevents a mislynch, that's basically an extra day - the same as two doctor protects
1 Mafia, 1 RB, cop/doctor is generally town favored.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
thil13
thil13
Goon
thil13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Post by thil13 »

whoever did that to the cat should be thrown in jail.
Give me three steps, gimme three steps, mister
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Alright, acceptable response.
Unvote, Vote: King of Harolds

Next suspect.

GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Hmmm

He does say a little overdefensive.

But...

Vote: Thil13

Thil: Have you played mafia before?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Post by GreyICE »

And btw, I declare bah on the RVS so far. RQS!

1) How many games of mafia have you played before?
2) What age are you?
3) Would you rather pull town or scum, and why?
4) Whose your strongest suspicion at this point?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
tarsonisocelot
tarsonisocelot
Goon
tarsonisocelot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:28 am

Post by tarsonisocelot »

1. One, as town in a game with no roles. We lost.
2. 20
3. I would rather pull scum, because I am better at using information that I have than at reading people I don't know in a game I do not yet have experience in to gain information. As I am a townie again this game, I will get to work on my weaknesses.
4. I don't really find anyone particularly suspicious yet. But I also don't know what suspicious behaviour would look like at this stage. I'll say King of Harolds for now.

Any advice on what to look for on day 1?

Sn1pe29
Sn1pe29
Townie
Sn1pe29
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 am

Post by Sn1pe29 »

1. None, this is my first game of Mafia.
2. I am 18.
3. Town seems like more of a challenege because your playing the game blind. But mafia seems like it would be fun too, allowing one to fool people all game. Not really sure which I would perfer untill I try them both out.
4. My greatest suspicion at this point would probably be Panda, but I can't really find too much to go off of at this point.

I would also like an answer to tarsonisocelot's question. You should answer the questions too Grey.
thil13
thil13
Goon
thil13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 am

Post by thil13 »

This will be my second game on this site. I have played forum mafia before, though it's been months since I've played the games that haven't been on this site.

1. Maybe about 10. Can't quite remember
2. I am age 16.
3. I would rather pull scum, I find being deceptive and misleading is more fun than playing "morally-straight" town.
4. Right now, my biggest suspicion is Nachomamma8 since he is just putting his vote around so quickly with minor pretense.
Give me three steps, gimme three steps, mister
pandabear
pandabear
Townie
pandabear
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:48 am

Post by pandabear »

1) This is my first game.
2) 20 years old
3) I would rather pull scum because it seems more interesting and exciting to win through trickery and deception but I want to learn how to be a good townie as well.
4.) I really do not have any firm scum-reads, but I do have a finger of suspicious on King of Harolds because, though the RVS was just playful banters, he seemed to try a little harder to start some kind of wagon by making two different votes on page 1. Then again, maybe he is just a proactive town trying to start any kind of action.
unvote
FOS: King of Harolds
King of Harolds
King of Harolds
Townie
King of Harolds
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:59 am

Unvote

I have recently learned that I have some Sicilian friends who are not Mafiosi. You're out of this for now, Traveller...

1) Quite a few, but they were all sort of unorthodox games. They didn't follow all the rules. My estimate would be... around 15?
2) Last time I checked I was 200...
3) Tough question. Honestly I'd rather pull town, because I find the risks you have to take and the deduction you have to use more exciting than the trickery of being scum. Though being scum is fairly fun as well.
4) I don't have any strong suspicions at all right now, but I have a slight one on Nachomamma. I know we should be getting serious, but he pulled out of RVS a little too early for my tastes. RVS is useful for getting some offbeat info in. But it's small.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

1) How many games of mafia have you played before? 130+.
2) What age are you? Around everyone else's age.
3) Would you rather pull town or scum, and why? Town because there's no better feeling than nailing scum to a wall.
4) Whose your strongest suspicion at this point? King of Harolds.
tarsonisocelot wrote:Any advice on what to look for on day 1?
I find that the most useful scumtells are looking for people who are lurking, overapologetic, not producing much content in their posts, or are afraid to get in the middle of two people arguing, like Idle Thoughts in this game. Also, if someone seems more concerned with their own survival than they are in actually finding scum, then they're scum.
King of Harolds wrote:4) I don't have any strong suspicions at all right now, but I have a slight one on Nachomamma. I know we should be getting serious, but he pulled out of RVS a little too early for my tastes. RVS is useful for getting some offbeat info in. But it's small.
How long do you think RVS should last?

GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Okay, I'll toss mine into the pot

1) Probably about... 20 maybe? I have a wiki with a good number
2) 26
3) Town. 100%. I have really bad habits as scum. I get bored, and make incredible theories, and then people realize "wait, nothing he's saying makes sense!" I'm good at faking a 'townie tone' though, or so I've been told. Figuring things out is just more fun.
4) I'd have to say Thil13. I'm not overwhelmed by KoH, but OMGUS is not much of a scum tell. And I don't consider honesty about preferences a scumtell. But Nacho is being strongly pro-town here. He's trying to generate reads and reactions. Which is not to say that Nacho is not smart enough to do pro-town activities as scum, but it's a very poor reason to suspect him. Thil seems to be both laying low, and worried that Nacho might get a 'bad reaction' from him or his partner. That's a scum motive, to me.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
King of Harolds
King of Harolds
Townie
King of Harolds
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 am

@Nacho: 2-3 pages. Barely a full page is too short for me. But I srsly don't even have an FoS on you, I haven't picked up any real tells yet. It was just something I noticed as I think RVS should be a little longer than that.

@Grey: Ha, I barely even noticed I had OMGUSed until now. Of course you don't really have a reason to believe me on that one, but I really didn't.

At least we've got the ball rolling now.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 am

Post by Equinox »

Bump for vote count.