Mini 167 - Les Miserables Mafia. Game over!

gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Wed May 04, 2005 4:34 am

Post by gootentag »

That leaves Meme as the only one you haven't investigated, and again he seems the more believable of the two of you after day one. However, as a "cop," your results have been less than clear twice now... it seems to me you were hedging your bets yesterday, but why today? Unless you are trying to explain away your results from yesterday by making them seem more commonplace than they are.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Wed May 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Post by MeMe »

gootentag: what are your current thoughts on LK? Do you believe him to be Javert and guilty or do you believe he's lied about his role name?

LK: what are your current thoughts on gootentag? Do you believe he's truly the Bishop?
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Wed May 04, 2005 5:56 pm

Post by gootentag »

LK: Likewise, please post your thoughts on Meme at this time, and I will do likewise.

Regarding LordKrishna, I believe he is most likely lying about his roleclaim. At the time he claimed, Javert was a relatively safe claim, as everyone else had either claimed already or expressed speculation about the allignment of the role, essentially claiming that they were not Javert themselves. Twice now he has produced "murky" and inconclusive results from his alleged investigations, one in relation to me and one in relation to a townie confirmed by death. Furthermore, his argument day 2 with Mr. Stoofer about the existance of a Mme Thenardier seemed to be an effort to distract the town from the role. Now in light of Mr. Stoofer's death, I think it adds a little more weight to the allegations he made when still alive. The only thing that I worry about is that I have trouble invisioning a Les Miserables themed game without a Javert, or a mafia game without a true cop.

As for Meme, his counterclaim
and ability
were used to nail EmpTyger day one. Not only did this prove EmpTyger as scum, it verified his claimed ability as well, at the expense of turning him into a vanilla townie for the remainder of the game. The ability aside, counterclaiming the assumed protagonist of a story day one to throw a fellow scum under the bus seems way too gutsy on all levels to attempt in a game this small. Sacrificing a fellow mafia member to gain the town's trust often works in larger games, but the risk in one this small seems too steep. Again, just like Javert, I have trouble envisioning a Les Mis game without a Valjean, which is a point in both your favors. However, if there is no Valjean, I think Meme's counterclaim is more viable for the reasons stated above. A significant amount of time had passed between EmpTyger's claim and Meme's counterclaim. Long enough I believe, that everyone else had the opportunity to counterclaim if they were Valjean. If Meme isn't Valjean, he may have seen an opportunity to claim a more believable role and gain the town's trust. Furthermore, claiming Valjean gives an easy excuse to any cop investigations coming up scum, as he was a criminal according to the law and Javert's prime target throughout the book. I feel that this possibility however, is far less than likely, and I am most suspicious of Lord Krishna.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Wed May 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Post by MeMe »

Interesting. I look forward to hearing LK's thoughts.
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Thu May 05, 2005 2:07 am

Post by gootentag »

Meme, you can feel free to post your thoughts as well as just observing the two of us...
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Thu May 05, 2005 2:10 am

Post by MeMe »

Oh, I've got thoughts...but I'd prefer not to have mine influence either of yours at the moment.
LordKrishna
LordKrishna
Townie
LordKrishna
Townie
Townie

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Thu May 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Post by LordKrishna »

I think MeMe is a 'she', not a 'he'. At least, the gender icon seems to indicate this.

CAUTION: LONG POST

So, my thoughts.... I am actually somewhat confused. This would have been my response yesterday:
-------------
gootentag
:
I do think it is likely he is the Bishop -- it fits with my investigation results. The Bishop is someone who has associated with a known criminal (Valjean), and has, in fact, even aided one, but it would not necessarily be a good idea to arrest him. (Or lynch!)

MeMe
:
Of course MeMe isn't scum -- she's VALJEAN, remember? Also, she used an ability to kill off EmpTyger, which would be stupid in a small game.
--------------

Today, though, we are left with only three of us, and so one of us isn't quite on the money with the claim. I know I didn't kill all those people, so let's re-visit you two, then return to me.

gootentag
:
Really doesn't seem all that scummy, despite not being a) me, or b) Valjean. It would be really twisted to make the Bishop a killer, so I don't think that's likely. It seems that there are only two possibilities here:
1) He really is the Bishop, and the role works as he said it did. This is supported by the fact that he has never voted. This strikes me as singularly odd in a Mafia game (though, admittedly, I haven't seen all that many!).
2) He is lying, and is not only not the Bishop, but is a murdering scum that will drop the second vote on one of our heads as soon as one of us votes. Yikes. This does, however, require that you accept that he would have not voted all along, simply to set this up. This would have been a feat indeed.

MeMe
:
Really doesn't seem all that scummy for the same reasons as mentioned before (claimed Valjean, and was very clearly vocal against EmpTyger). There are, again, two possibilities:
1) MeMe is Valjean, and everything she has said has been true. This is supported by strong internal logic within the framework of her posts.
2) MeMe is the most clever player ever to walk the face of this Earth and has been playing us all for chumps. Though this part actually does seem likely to me, based on how clearly experienced she is, I don't think a Valjean-Thenardier team-up is at all likely. So for this one to work, *she* would have to be Mme. Thenardier (or another heretofore-unclaimed-but-really-scummy character). This also seems unlikely to me.

Why? The only way I think I can get (2) to work out in my mind is if the following is true:
a) MeMe really wanted to ax her partner and take a risk on a later Day, or b) She's a separate scum faction (SK). I don't think this (b) would work, though, because then there would have been two kills each night, unless they were ludicrously unlucky, and one of them had targeted Stoofer's target (the protected person) the second night, and LML the first.
c) Also, it would require, essentially, that she knew that claiming Valjean was safe. This, actually, does work, as gootentag points out -- there was ample time for a counter-claim before she made hers, and it's not an unreasonable role (everyone expects Valjean to exist, and also Valjean's the Good Guy). But neither (a) nor (b) seems terribly plausible.

All that said, how could a game exist without Valjean?! Or Javert? But the Bishop... I think this is what, ultimately makes me lean in your direction, gootentag. I'm not terribly suspicious of either of you, but the Valjean claim just makes more sense to me.

I'm not willing to vote on that much, of course, but I thought I'd throw it out that if a deadline were imposed (after requesting an extension!), I'd pick gootentag.

So now, thoughts on me,
LordKrishna
:
I posted correctly. I am Javert. I do have the powers I mentioned before. I posit that it would have been absolutely blitheringly stupid to have claimed Javert, for the very same reason gootentag claimed it to be safe:
"At the time he claimed, Javert was a relatively safe claim, as everyone else had either claimed already or expressed speculation about the allignment of the role, essentially claiming that they were not Javert themselves."
This would work if everyone had "expressed speculation" that Javert was a good guy. Most people (other than MeMe, I think?), had said that Javert was likely to be scum. Remember? ("Way, way back many centuries ago" on Day 1)

Also, as long as we *don't* lynch me, then Town will win, no matter which of you two is lynched. If we lynch a Townie, then I can arrest the remaining scum tonight. If we lynch scum, then obviously, we win.

The only question I have is who takes precedence in such a situation as if it is me with an arrest versus a Scum with a gun/knife? I would guess that in this situation, the tie goes to the Town, but I have no clue how this sort of thing works. Heck, the mod might count that as a simultaneous kill, and that would mean that no one (or everyone?!) would win. MeMe, have you any idea, based on any previous games, what would be the right of it?

If the powers don't work that way, then my plan doesn't make sense, and the only way is for us to nail the correct person. So it seems we're back to Square One. MeMe, please post you thoughts, too, now that the two of us have posted (we are to trust that our posts haven't influenced yours, then, I suppose?)

-K
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2005 3:07 am

Post by MeMe »

First -- of
course
your posts would influence my thoughts. One of you is scum and I'm still trying to figure out which...I'm looking at everything you all say to help me make a decision. I preferred not to speak first as I suspect both of you...and detailing my suspicions only gives whichever of you is scum a kind of primer on what to say to make me believe you're thinking the same things as I am about the
other
one.
~~~~~~~~~~~
gootentag

When I don't look at anything other than the roles/mechanics claimed, I'm sure that the "Bishop" is the remaining scum. Mr Stoofer's claim makes it clear that Javert should be in the game (though alignment is up in the air) and I think it's kinda hinky for gootentag to state that he believes LK to not be Javert when the existence of a "government agent" is necessary for Stoofer's claim to be correct (and as Stoofer's dead & town, we know his claim is trustworthy).

I agree with LK that it would have been quite a feat for gootentag not to vote until now -- but originally the explanation was pretty vague ("role based reasons") and they weren't firmed up until he was directly questioned. This makes me wonder if it was only at that point that he decided to go with the non-voting angle. The explanation of how the role works in endgame is pretty weird too...basically, he's saying that there's no way for town to win this game unless 1) a deadline is in place and 2) LK and I vote each other first.

LordKrishna

But, when I look at all of LK's
he's
got to be the scum. I also can't ignore the fact that Stoofer and Changling bob wanted LK to swing and they've both been proven town. If I vote gootentag, it'd be against the suspicions of confirmed pro-town players and the loss would be fully on my shoulders. There's also the little matter of Stoofer being termed doctor in his post...his role apparently didn't explicitly say "doctor":
Mr Stoofer wrote:Every night I choose someone to hang around. As the estranged daughter of the Thernadiers, I will try frustrate them if they try to harm that person. That is how I knew that Thernadier(s) were scum.

Furthermore, because of my time acting as a lookout for my parents, I will out of habit distract any government agents that try to do anything to the person I am hanging around. I originally interpreted this to mean that that person would be immune from investigation. Of course, if Javert is scum then I would be a straightforward doc.
According to Stoofer, his role sounded like doc/blocker on first read...but that's not what
Aelyn
called Eponine.
Aelyn wrote:
Mr Stoofer (Eponine, doctor) has been stabbed to death.
Although I think a Thenardier/Javert pairing is weird -- it's not impossible. As I believe I stated before, they were both out to get Valjean, so they have a natural affinity there. I also find this an interesting possibility...
Mr Stoofer wrote:I know others disagree, but I could easily accept a set up with 2 independent SKs, namley Thernadier and Javert. That would make me a standard doc and would make perfect sense. It would explan why there is only one Thernadier in the game. And it would explain LK's rather odd statements of late.
...but I believe a standard two-person group to be more likely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
So. Those are my current thoughts. You're both suspicious in your own way -- but if I were going to vote this minute, it'd be for LK.
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2005 6:57 am

Post by gootentag »

LordKrishna wrote:I think MeMe is a 'she', not a 'he'. At least, the gender icon seems to indicate this.
My appologies, Meme. I will try not to make that oversight in the future.
<snip>

Also, as long as we *don't* lynch me, then Town will win, no matter which of you two is lynched. If we lynch a Townie, then I can arrest the remaining scum tonight. If we lynch scum, then obviously, we win.
This I find both scummy and extremely dangerous logic. Lynching correctly today is almost certainly the only path to victory here. If you are pro-town lynching you would be no worse than lynching the other because a scum nightkill would end the game. There is not the room for error you seem to be implying here.
MeMe wrote:
I agree with LK that it would have been quite a feat for gootentag not to vote until now -- but originally the explanation was pretty vague ("role based reasons") and they weren't firmed up until he was directly questioned. This makes me wonder if it was only at that point that he decided to go with the non-voting angle. The explanation of how the role works in endgame is pretty weird too...basically, he's saying that there's no way for town to win this game unless 1) a deadline is in place and 2) LK and I vote each other first.
First off, typically, I would have random voted at the beginning of day one, as is kind of the norm. If I were lying about the role, I would have basically had to commit to it before the game began, which would be a big risk for scum, banking on another role's nonexistance from the beginning. Second of all, in an endgame situation, I can break a tie, not just if you are both voting for each other. Granted, that if Meme votes for me and LK votes for Meme, I would naturally want to side with LK in that situation - because I KNOW that I'm not scum...
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Post by MeMe »

I guess I'll be voting for LordKrishna -- but I'll give him a while to say what he wants to say.
LordKrishna
LordKrishna
Townie
LordKrishna
Townie
Townie

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 7:19 pm

Post by LordKrishna »

All right, my latest thoughts (I don't want to use MeMe's term -- "final thoughts"!) are as follows:

I'm pretty sure that Javert, even if insane, could not get a LESS guilty result from investigating someone. I found that I *could* arrest gootentag, but that I might regret it. This means, given that Javert is likely to be harsh, that gootentag must be inoocent.

Given that there is still a killer, it must be MeMe. (Yes, this is despite my thoughts earlier that gootentag's character claim looks less likely to be in the game, and yes, this is even despite her wanting to kill off EmpTyger, and yes, I know I'm going back on my own earlier post, which is something that looks scummy, but I believe that this is a better answer than my earlier one).

MeMe's power was very sketchily detailed earlier, and I was never easy with the explanation given to us. Here is why -- it comes down to the "usage" of her power in the killing of EmpTyger, something that you seem to accept as fact, gootentag.

I just don't see where she use her power to kill off EmpTyger, actually. The post in which EmpTyger dies (Post 266) reads as follows:
---------
After a few minutes, MeMe sits back, triumphant. “Don’t worry, everyone”, she calls out, “He’s had the sword of Damocles over him for a while, and I just cut it.”

Confused, Emptyger looked above his head and stared into the sky, apparently not understanding the metaphor.
---------

So EmpTyger is still alive at this point... (he looks up)

Then:
---------
“I’ve had enough!” growled LordKrishna. He strode forward, taking advantage of Emptyger’s distracted state, grabbed Monsieur Hugo’s pistol and shot Emptyger dead.
---------

Looks to me like *I* killed EmpTyger (I not only "shot him", I "shot him
dead
"), and not MeMe... but WHY would she lie about a power, if not scum?

Honestly, it's her repsonse to me that she wanted us each to post our thoughts before she posted hers that made me prick up my ears to her again. That just doesn't make any sense to me -- why should gootentag and I explain ourselves to you, without you explaining yourself to us? It smacks not only of unfairness, but of a calculating mind, plotting what to say to convince us, based on which way we're already leaning.

FoS: MeMe

And gootentag, read my post again if you're confused as to why voting for me is a bad move, whereas even a wrong vote on one of you two might not be so bad. Remember, so what if the scum has a night-kill? I can night-kill (well, arrest, technically) the scum, too!

Either way, though, without question, if you two lynch me, then the scum win.

-K
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 7:50 pm

Post by MeMe »

vote: LordKrishna
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Post by gootentag »

Hang on... more in a minute... just had to get this in before I go to bed .

Good Game, Guys.

VOTE: LordKrishna
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Post by MeMe »

Damn.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:12 pm

Post by MeMe »

I'm really so mad I could spit -- but what could I do? Please, innocent dead, answer truthfully...would you have done differently in my shoes? Did anyone believe gootentag to be the scum?

LK -- could you have looked
any scummier
?? Gah. This loss is a hard one. In my 80+ games, I don't think I've ever felt so invested in a game.

I knew Javert must be innocent. Why oh why didn't I stick to that?
Last edited by MeMe on Sat May 07, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:14 pm

Post by gootentag »

I'm still confused as to why Mme Thenardier triggered a less that definately scum cop result... all I can think of is it was my motherly nature or something like that. At any rate, I thought before the game that the Bishop was far enough away from the main characters that no one else would probably have it, but just close enough to be believable. It also helps that a few years back I started reading the book and didn't get much past that, so he was the character that from the novel I was most familiar with. I was so glad you took out CB yesterday - the thought of him recruiting someone and having two townies verifying each other on day three was frightening. Marius's demise triggering Cosette's death was another unexpected bonus. While this game was in no way easy, but I feel that a lot of the mod actions helped me (and EmpTyger itoo, post-moprtem.) Perhaps that was the balancing factor to the overpowered nature of the town that everyone was talking about day one. :D
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:16 pm

Post by MeMe »

gootentag -- extremely well played. Yesterday it was either LK or Cb on the block, never you.

So very frustrating.
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:17 pm

Post by gootentag »

Meme - how come you can edit posts and I can't?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:20 pm

Post by MeMe »

Oh - and LK -- you were right about me not killing EmpTyger on day one.

I bluffed that to 1) hopefully scare the other scum (or anyone really) into placing the necessary lynching vote onto EmpTyger and 2) make myself look like a townie without spending my extra vote. My mechanic was an extra vote once during the game -- not a daykill as assumed by LmL.

Your last post just convinced me that you were the way to go. Sorry -- but, hey. You looked damn scummy.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:22 pm

Post by MeMe »

I can edit because I'm a Little Italy moderator. I can edit any post in any game in this forum (though I'd never do it while a game is in process unless I were the moderator of said game).
gootentag
gootentag
Goon
gootentag
Goon
Goon

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:25 pm

Post by gootentag »

Thanks - I was worried when you were onto me day one. I figured when you both claimed Valjean day one, the expected thing to do was jump ship and distance myself. So I didn't. I knew a recruiting town group was a huge threat, so I had to get rid of them first. Again, I couldn't have hoped for a better lynch day two - if CB recruited and both he and his target lived, I would be the odd one out.

Meme, you were my biggest concern through the whole game, but after Day One, I figured you were the best target for a doctor, being relatively confirmed and all, so I couldn't risk losing a kill.

It's been fun, guys. This is my first win as scum. (I lost once on misetings, but other than that have always been pro-town. Obviously, no comment on current games...)
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2005 8:28 pm

Post by MeMe »

It sucks to lose this one, but at least I have the comfort that the winner earned it through really good play!

No, I'm
not
downplaying my idiocy. Really. :P
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2005 1:03 pm

Post by Aelyn »

The three remaining men stand up, yelling at each other in increasing frustration, as Monsieur Hugo sits there, a slight smile on his face...

"This is madness! LordKrishna claims to be a man of the law, and you remember how the law has hounded you, Monsieur Valjean!" exclaims Goot. "Besides, don't you remember me... how much I helped you all those years ago?"

MeMe casts her mind back, all those years, and recalls the Bishop of Digne. For the life of her, she cannot remember his face... But she also recalls those nineteen years, a slave of the law, and her heart grows cold.

"Let's do it. Let's kill the officer."

LordKrishna's complaints and protests are drowned out as MeMe draws a knife from her sleeve, and plunges it into LK's guts. He coughs up blood, and keels over, his last words protesting his innocence.

MeMe turns around, and looks Goot in the eye.

"Looks like we're safe at last, my friend."

Goot just chuckles....

"Me, maybe."

Goot rips off his fake beard, revealing another beard underneath, and tears off his long, flowing robe, revealing a rather unflattering skirt and apron.

"What? Madame Thenardier!"

"That's right!" chuckles the large, scarily masculine woman.

MeMe turns, to see four men materialise seemingly out of nowhere.

"Meet Brujon, Montparnasse, Babet, and Claquesous, four of my late husband's closest associates."

MeMe never met another soul again...

LordKrishna, Javert (Police Officer) was lynched day 3.
MeMe, Jean Valjean (Influential Townie) was killed in the endgame.
Gootentag, Madame Thenardier (Mafia) wins, along with Emptyger!

Game setup to follow.
Aelyn
Aelyn
Goon
Aelyn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2005 1:24 pm

Post by Aelyn »

Roles:

Jean Valjean: MeMe

You are an ex-convict, who has been hiding with some success as a well-to-do man for the past ten years. You are a good man at heart, and have but one love, that of your adopted daughter Cosette. You also have a remarkable presence around the town, as you are well known as a powerful and kind man.

You can use your influence to add an additional (anonymous) vote on any player once at any point during the game. When you want to use this ability, PM me and I will add on the extra vote. You win if the only people alive at the end are good guys.

Note: If Cosette dies, Valjean will become a possible member of the ABC Café.

Investigation: You recognize MeMe as a violent, very powerful, evil criminal. You know she’s broken the law many times in the past, and has evaded you for a long time. You know it’s a bad idea to let her stay free. (Guilty)

Marius Pontmercy: vikingfan

You are a simple student, recently inducted into the ABC Café revolutionaries by the leader, Enjolras (Changling Bob). However, in the last week you have found yourself torn – you have fallen in love with Cosette, the daughter of a rich man, and you find it difficult to live without her.

As a member of the ABC Café, you may communicate at night with Enjolras. You must also either search for Cosette each night or ask your friend Eponine to search for her for you. PM me with your choice of who to investigate, and whether you or Eponine investigates. You will receive more instructions when you find Cosette… No matter what, you win if the only people left alive are good guys.

Notes: If Cosette is targeted for any night action on the night that she is found, the action happens to the person investigating instead. Also, if Marius investigates one of Thenardier’s gang, there is a 25% chance he will be caught and will be killed for snooping around (in which case they will not make a nightkill); if Eponine investigates, there is a 50% chance she will be caught, in which case she will run away from the Thenardiers and no longer be able to prevent their kills.

When Cosette is found, Marius receives this PM:

You have found your love (LoudmouthLee)! From now on, you share in Cosette’s protection from night actions as you sit and talk in her yard; however, you must follow Cosette’s voting if she votes before you.

Marius's protection only begins the night after he finds Cosette. However, should Cosette die after he’s found her, Marius will kill himself from grief.

Investigations: (Pre-revolution): Vikingfan seems to be a fundamentally innocent man, although you notice that he’s spending a lot of time with shady characters. (Innocent)
(Post-revolution): Vikingfan spends a lot of his time with very unlawful people… but as far as you can tell he’s a good man. (Innocent)

Enjolras: Changling Bob

You are the leader of the revolutionaries of the ABC Café, and as such may talk at night with your most recent, and most fervent, induction, Marius (Vikingfan). You may also choose to either try to induct people into the ABC Café each night, or organise the revolutionary’s activities. PM me with your choice each night. You win if the only people left alive are good guys. But beware! You know it’s possible that spies might infiltrate the Café; the only person you can truly trust is Marius.

Notes: Eponine and Grantaire are the only characters who can be inducted into the ABC Café. However, no matter who Enjolras chooses to induct, they will find out Enjolras’s role.
If Enjolras chooses to organise revolutionary activities, the masons will all require one additional vote to lynch the next day (representing the support of the people of Paris), but he will turn from innocent to guilty in the eyes of Javert.

Investigations: (Pre-revolution): Although you aren’t aware of any crimes Changling Bob has committed, you have heard of some shady dealings with enemies of the authorities. Perhaps it would be worth keeping an eye on him? (Innocent)
(Post-revolution): Changling Bob is a vicious man – leading a band of ragtag, ill-advised men against the Government. He’s too dangerous to suffer to walk free. (Guilty)

Javert: LordKrishna

You are the stern police officer of Paris. You consider anyone guilty of any crime to be a member of the worst caste on Earth, and everyone else beyond reproach. Each night, you may choose to investigate any person. Whenever you do, you find out any crimes they may have committed*, and if they are guilty of a crime in your eyes you will arrest them. You win when everyone guilty is either dead or in jail.

Notes: Marius and Cosette count as innocent in Javert’s eyes, as is Enjolras (before he organises revolutionary activities) and Grantaire (before he is inducted into the ABC Café). Everyone else is a bad guy. Note that this means Javert’s role is somewhere between that of a serial killer and a cop, and should be quite interesting… Also, the arrest is NOT automatic – LK has to actively PM me to make the arrest.

*Regarding investigation results, in all cases I wrote up a fairly descriptive result, which would make it reasonably clear if LK is OK to arrest the person or not. However, the flavour of the investigation result was supposed to give LK slight hints as to who the person could be. In Madame Thenardier’s case, I couldn’t find any indication that Javert knew of her direct involvement in a crime, but did know about her marriage to Thenardier (a known criminal) and the fact that she knew the various scum her husband worked with. Admittedly, that one result was deliberately written to be confusing.

Thenardier: Emptyger

You are a vile man, a rogue, and for a long time a vicious criminal. You want nothing more than to rob the innocent and survive, and neither does anyone else in your clan. Each night, you may talk with your wife, (Gootentag), and decide on someone to rob – inform me of your choice by PM. Your is the final decision, not your wife’s. You don’t mind getting a little violent in the crime if needs be, and it seems to quite a lot… You win if you’re still alive at the end of the game. Thenardier and his wife make up the Mafia.

Investigation: Emptyger is an evil man – from abandoning the army, to looting, petty thievery and many more crimes. You’d feel more than happy arresting him. (Guilty)

Cosette: LoudmouthLee

You are simply an innocent young lady, living in relative seclusion, and yearning for your new love to find you. Unfortunately, your life is so secluded you can do nothing apart from simply wait in your garden for him to arrive. Thankfully, the large gates and walls offer significant protection. You are immune to any night-kill attempts. You win if the only people left alive are good guys.

Notes: If Marius finds Cosette, then she gets the following PM:

Your love, Marius Pontmercy, has found you! You invite him into the yard to talk every night, and you find you agree with him so absolutely, that if he should vote before you in the day you must follow his example and vote for the same person.

However, should Marius die after he’s found her, Cosette will kill herself out of grief.

Investigation: Loudmouth Lee is perfectly innocent.

Eponine: Mr Stoofer

You are an unfortunate soul, in that you were brought up under the cruel hand of the Thenardiers. You ran away from them recently, and now can do nothing other than wander the streets alone. You are hopelessly, hopelessly in love with your best friend, Marius, but alas! He is oblivious to the fact. However, he does respect you and like you a lot, so despite the pain you remain his friend… although you couldn’t walk away if you tried. You also harbour a deep resentment of your parents, as well as a lasting distrust of the authorities. As such, if you find either of these groups doing anything in your wanderings at night, you will do your utmost to distract them from their task.

At night, PM me with the name of a person you want to hang around that night. You will distract any thugs who visit that person, as you don’t want the person hurt. You’ll also distract the authorities, more out of habit from your time as lookout for your father’s gang than anything else.

Investigation: You know that, in the past, Mr Stoofer has fallen from splendour to sin. That said, you can’t see anything specific wrong that he has done, although you know he’s acted as lookout for criminal activities in the past. However, that's enough for you to feel good putting him behind bars. (Guilty)

Mme Thenardier: Gootentag

You are the wife of the old rogue, Thenardier (Emptyger). Each night, you may talk with him regarding who you should rob to survive another day – unfortunately, robbing people often involves brutally beating them as they resist, but eh, you don’t care. He will make the final decision, but you’re still significant in the process. You win if you are alive at the end of the game.

Notes: Mme. Thenardier is the other Mafia member.

Investigation: You can't pinpoint anything specific from Gootentag, but you know he's been in contact with a variety of shady figures from the underground. You feel that he's just about dodgy enough to arrest... but you aren't certain that it's a good idea. (Guilty)

Grantaire: Seol

You are a drunkard student, and hugely cynical. You win if the townies win.

Notes: If Enjolras tries to recruit Grantaire, he will join the ABC Café and become a Mason. He will then become a criminal to Javert if and when Enjolras does.

Investigations: (Pre-induction): Although Seol is hardly a productive member of society, he’s also harmless to society.
(Post-induction, pre-revolution): Seol seems to be harmless, but you can see how he’s hanging around with the wrong sort of late… perhaps you should keep an eye on him, just in case.
(Post-induction, post-revolution): Seol has been spending a lot of time around highly dangerous men, and seems to support them in their evil ways! You know he’s taken part in attacks on the authorities, and so feel more than comfortable ridding the streets of his presence.

Night activities

Vikingfan (Marius, searcher):
N1: Seol
N2: LoudMouthLee
N3: ---

Mr Stoofer (Eponine, Doc):
N1: MeMe
N2: MeMe
N3: MeMe

Changling_Bob (Enjolras, Mason recruiter):
N1: None
N2: None
N3: ---

LordKrishna (Javert, Cop / SK):
N1: Loudmouth Lee (No arrest)
N2: Gootentag (No arrest)
N3: Mr. Stoofer (No arrest)

Emptyger / Gootentag (Thenardiers, Mafia):
N1: Seol
N2: vikingfan
N3: Mr. Stoofer

Interestingly, since MeMe never used her ability (She PM'd me asking if the deadline still held, and said if not, she would almost certainly use her ability - but before I could reply to let her know it didn't, Emp was lynched), it got to a situation in day 3 where MeMe could only win if there was a no lynch, and Goot and LK could only win by lynching one another.

Good game, all! I'm gonna go sign up to mod another - I have a particularly evil idea up my sleeve...
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2005 2:09 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Watch the buggers dance
Watch 'em till they drop
Keep your wits about you
And you stand on top!

Thanks mod and all for the game, and excellent job gootentag! Even after being lynched Day 1, I really enjoyed following the game.

Can I insist one last time that my April Fool’s joke really was nothing but an April Fool’s joke? It wasn’t a mistaken claim that needed to be corrected, or a gambit to try multiple claims, or an attempt to draw out others claims, or a diversion, or anything else like that. I would have done the exact same thing regardless of what my role was, so it was quite frustrating to be lynched for what I saw as clear illogic- all the more frustrating when said illogic happened to lead to the “correct” lynch. I even apologized to Aelyn afterwards, since I was afraid my little joke might have ruined the game. (Kind of the same thing for that initial survey about familiarity with the book, although I did have an ulterior motive then. While it was something I would have done as protown since I honestly felt it could have limited the mafia’s options, I knew it wouldn’t affect my play, so I figured it was a harmless thing I could do that might make me look protown. Clearly that backfired completely.) There's probably a lesson here...

I know mafia is a team game, but gootentag deserves most- if not all- of the credit for the win. (In fact, as originally written, my role also required me to be alive to win- Aelyn PMed me that he had changed it to the traditional mafia win condition. I had wanted to check before I sold out gootentag- just as well I didn't!) I had thought the game was over after my lynch- bob was a mason, and everyone else had voted for me. I thought a case might be made about little things, like Krishna’s last second vote, but I figured with 2 days, the town would have to hit gootentag. Not to mention the other obstacles: the reinforcing claims, LML’s unnightkillability, the recruitable masons, MeMe’s still-existing extra vote, Stoofer possessing knowledge about mafia characters, and a doctor actually existing. In fact the town seemed so powerful I wondered whether MeMe might actually have been a SK.

I want to apologize to gootentag for messing up my claim. I had planned on claiming Gavroche, since I knew from the beginning my own character wasn’t safe. But then I read this:
LordKrishna [123] wrote:given how much I sysmpathize (out of game, of course) with the revolutionaries, and in particular, Gavroche,
You have no idea how much I went back and forth and back and forth on this, trying to figure out whether Krishna was hinting at being Gavroche, but finally decided he was. Under that assumption, Stoofer and MeMe had 2 of {Valjean, Javert, Eponine}, and Eponine was clearly in the game. MeMe’s initial non-random vote on gootentag scared me away from claiming Javert- a counterclaim might leave both mafia exposed, even if the town believed me over her. So I went with Valjean, and since I couldn’t think of anyone more likely to be doctor (with the possible exception of the bishop) I claimed that as my role. Oops. Bad assumptions can be fatal.

bob:
I think you made a mistake by not recruiting night 1- you could have told vikingfan who you targeted, and if anything happened to you, vikingfan could report it the next day. I suppose that wording of "spies" is tricky. I was actually wondering whether you started off alone and recruited vikingfan night 1, and then were lying about it for some reason.

Krishna:
You made a few mistakes, but as mafia I tried not to call too much attention to them at the time, hoping that they’d be remembered in the endgame. Though there’s no way of realizing it at the time, as it happens, if you had nightkilled yourself, MeMe lynches gootentag and the town wins! (Useless strategically, but fascinating from a literary standpoint!)

LML:
Just to clarify, but I did not intend anything personal in any comments. When I referred to the “vendetta”, it was in jest after someone called our exchanged that earlier in the game. I quite enjoyed playing with you- as I did with everyone, actually. (Well, except for Seol, who lurked way too much. I mean, I can’t remember him making a single substantial post the entire game.)

MeMe:
I’m still not sure how you were so confident about me prior to my claiming Valjean! It was quite clever to save your extra vote- that could have swung a 2 person endgame to the town- but honestly I think it made you more suspicious, since looked like you were lying about your power, even though my death solidified your innocence. I did think you were acting plenty suspicious enough on the first couple pages that I didn’t see stylistically how I *couldn’t* react (that business with the non-Javert cops and guaranteed sanities) but I was very nervous because I worried you were a cop and I was spooked by that “non-random” vote on gootentag. By the way, what did you ever mean by “And you playing at being game savior just makes me giggle.”? I may have to target you in any future games, just in case I feel like making jokes, O nonhumorous one. :D

Stoofer:
Good job on not giving away that you were a doctor when I claimed to be one. Your neutral response to my claim was what encouraged me to press MeMe about being Eponine, which certainly didn't help. Out of curiosity, how would you have acted on the final day? I was wondering how it would have played out if gootentag tried something radical like targeting MeMe.

vikingfan:
I think splitting your vote with bob day 1 was a mistake: it seemed like it was very possible that you weren’t aligned with him.

Aelyn:
Again, a very fun game- thanks for modding! I take it Javert couldn't investigate hiumself? (even though there would be very few situations where that would be the correct course of action, I'm still curious) By the way, if you aren’t saving it for a future game, what was the unusual rule that wasn’t used?

Anyone have feedback for me? This was my first time playing as an antitown (and for that matter, in a non-newbie game), and while I clearly could have done better, I can’t really protest the result.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”