Newbie 1136: DarthYoshi's Dystopia of Death (Fin--who won?!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
SoulBlade
SoulBlade
Townie
SoulBlade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:24 am

Post by SoulBlade »

Morthas wrote:
Morthas wrote:
Soul wrote:Great discussion, I learnt a lot about voting and mafia games overall. Sorry I wasn't posting - I wasn't feeling well yesterday.

That's great, now that you are on the pc, start posting.

Certainly, good sir.

Morthas wrote:
AeRyu wrote:I said I find you suspicious because of your elaborateless reasoning as to why you voted for the people you did. But then again, there isn't much to elaborate without a good amount of info. Though, your last post has increased my FoS on you. You are quite aggitated by my post of suspicion, I sensed an irritation in your writing. Here are some reasons why I suspect you. First, you lost your composure to my FoS. Second, you revealed your "plan" (Why?). Third, when you said "unless you are scum, in which case feel free to get so pissed you cant type straight." It sounds like an attempted provocation, or alternitavely, a way to get FoS off of yourself, desperately.

I can see that being truth.

I agree.
Mod: Please replace me. I can't seem to handle the pace of this game.
I forgot how the pace of the games here are faster compared to the ones I play at another forum.

Indeed, on other forums the first day is just random voting and then a few posts on the second day. It's much different than here!
Last edited by DarthYoshi on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
When in doubt, say -
Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal
//
[Last.fm]
SoulBlade
SoulBlade
Townie
SoulBlade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:28 am

Post by SoulBlade »

I messed up the quoting tags somehow. Anyway, I think you can see which are my posts.

Quote tags fixed. ~DY
Last edited by DarthYoshi on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, say -
Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal
//
[Last.fm]
ConSpiracy
ConSpiracy
Mafia Scum
ConSpiracy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 am

Post by ConSpiracy »

I'm terribly sorry, but internet suddenly stopped working for à while. Tommorow evening I should Be able to post regularly again.
If somebody has tools to fix my scumdar, pm me.
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 am

Post by AeRyung »

Ghostlin wrote:
BKWM wrote:
Ibarra wrote:
AeR: Why haven't you upgraded your FoS on BK to a full vote yet?

I know that if I give good reasons for suspicion, the vote count would increase, resulting into a quick lynch, and with the possibility that he might actually be a townie who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, I'm a bit hesitant because this game is in it's early stages. Regardless, it comes down to his next post.

@BKWM: You haven't posted since there were two more votes on you. You posted regularly before, why not now?

@Everyone: I would like to know what everyone thinks regarding this matter, why he should be lynched, why he shouldn't. Being in depth would be appreciated.
Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
LoL: AeRyung
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 am

Post by AeRyung »

Sorry for the quote failure :/
Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 am

Post by theamatuer »

ConSpiracy wrote:I'm terribly sorry, but internet suddenly stopped working for à while. Tommorow evening I should Be able to post regularly again.

à?
*Grammer nazi rage*
to Aeryung: you should always post what you find on the thread if you are a VT, since whatever you post will help everyone. Even if BWKM gets voted on again, people are reluctant to hammer, since hammering can be one of the major suspicions of being scum (which means that no scum ever does it most of the time.). So, if BWKM goes to L-1, I bet someone on the current wagon would unvote to keep the balance.
If you are a PR instead, that's a different story. You should try playing like a normal VT but biased towards your findings and powers. As a doctor, find who is most likely to be NK'd. As a jailkeeper, do that or find a suspicious person to seal his powers. As a cop, once you find a mafia, hint towards them without letting yourself be found.
Its just whatever
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 am

Post by AeRyung »

@theamatuer: Gotcha, thanks for the info.
Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
Morthas
Morthas
Goon
Morthas
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Post by Morthas »

paradox wrote:
Morthas wrote:
paradox wrote:
Morthas wrote:Since most people(Ahem, paradox) have posted sufficiently I am going to ask
Who do you think is our scum? (Gut feelings are good too, some stances would be great).

I´ve read everything, the only thing that
seems
slightly suspicious to me is BKWM

Why is he slightly suspicious? If it's because you agree with someone, why are their reasons more valid?

Reasoning without evidence is not as valid as Reasoning with evidence.

Reasoning with false evidence is much less valid than reasoning without evidence. Explain WHY are their reasons valid.
Capitalism, ho
ConSpiracy
ConSpiracy
Mafia Scum
ConSpiracy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:29 am

Post by ConSpiracy »

Ghostlin wrote:Con's eagerness to promote folks to L-1 early seems to be partially dissonant to his 'Don't Quickhammer' stance. (Reasoning: L-1 increases the chance of quickhammering---reason why you avoid it in RVS.)

First:
Call me CS dammit!

I hate the abb Con.
Secondly this is not dissonant. I think L-1s are good to test others, but I wanted to tell town that they should always check if they are hammering or not, just to be sure.
theamatuer wrote:EBWOP: if you didn't notice, I voted for etanga (now Marthas). So no, I'm not that scared. But then again, excluding me, there are 5 newbies, just enough for a lynch. So you can't play too complex either, else the newbies just decide to lynch someone instead of trying to understand.

That is not what I meant. Reading back, I meant this:
CS wrote:So you are scared of being attacked
because
if you voted for the IC?

English is not my first language. I try to keep mistakes at a bare minimum, but it's hard when I'm not very good at English.
Anyways, you were scared as this shows:
theam wrote:It is because the IC's are supposed to help the newbies get accustomed to the game. The IC would then start to have a sense of reliability around him, and thus if you attack him, the newbies would turn towards you instead.

Seems scared to me. And that is a bad reason not to do it. Those five newbies aren't morons to protect their IC for something like this.
theam wrote:EBWOP(again): I just realized that theam was supposed to be me. Well, I am mostly trying to aid others in their attacks for now, since I don't seem to have anyone in mind.
So basically, I'm running a semi-aggressive/helping type of play, and I'll switch to aggresive once I have enough suspicions.

So you are giving yourself a free pass to bandwagon others without reasons?
Morthas wrote:
Ibarra wrote:Why are you trying to deter people from voting you by saying that you will post a lot. I find that suspicious.
Why aren't you replacing your RVS vote with a genuine one? I find THAT suspicious.

Good posting.
theam wrote:Actually, no. Selfvoting cannot help your goal, as you are supposed to play to your win condition.

As Morthas said, selfvoting as scum is sometimes useful. I once made an item about this in a game I IC'ed, let me look it up:
Spoiler: Self-hammering, good or bad
The answer should be simple, it is hardly ever good. Self hammering hinders own faction and mostly results in unbalanced win percentages due to the info town lost or mislynch missed. However, there are a few cases that self-hammering is more useful for the game. (I am talking about now crazy themed or special roled games. Off course there are more exeptions, but these occur most often)
Scum selfhammer

- A scum selfhammer is more often right than a town selfhammer. However, there is just one reason to selfhammer, to hinder town in their information. When should scum selfhammer? If it is already obvious that he will be lynched. Let's say scum A is at L-1 for a long time and sees no chance to evade the lynch. However, town wants to wait with the lynch till replacements caught up, till a quarrel was sorted out etc. The best thing scum A can do is self-hammering, since town will miss the catch-up post, the outcome of the quarrel etc. If player A knows he would be lynched already, there is no reason not to make it a little quicker.

Town selfhammer

- A town self hammer is purely to help the rest of the town and is only right when the game is slowly drifting towards a No Lynch. A No Lynch in newbies and mini normals occasionally helps town into MyLo, which should be followed with a No lynch in most games. I will show it a bit more organized:
newbie nine players
D1 lynch, 8 players
N1 kill, 7 players
D2 lynch, 6 players D2 no lynch, 7 players
N2 kill, 5 players N2 kill, 6 players
D3 lynch (game over if 3 mislynches) D3 no lynch (MyLo) 6 players
N3 kill, 5 players
D4 lynch (game over if 2! mislynches)

Why should town selfhammer? Because a (generally thought suspicious guy) lynch usually gives far more information to the rest of the town than a (generally thought townish guy) night kill. The wagon gives people information to think about.
That's all I can think of right now.

Morthas wrote:Who do you think is our scum? (Gut feelings are good too, some stances would be great).

Scum: Theam
Neutral/scum: Ibarra

Not enough reads for the others.

And I won't be able to be online tomorrow, my grandpa celebrates his 80th anniversary.
If somebody has tools to fix my scumdar, pm me.
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:52 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

Day One, Vote Count the Fourth

BKWM (3): SoulBlade, theamatuer, Morthas
Morthas (1): BKWM
theamatuer (2): ConSpiracy, Ghostlin
Not Voting (3): paradox, AeRyung, Ibarra

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch, and 5 to no-lynch.

The deadline is currently set for: 12:00 noon, Pacific Daylight Time (GMT - 7), Saturday, August 13.

As ever, any questions or concerns, please let me know.
On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Post by DarthYoshi »

Hiplop replaces Ibarra, and automatically gets to sit at the cool kids' table because he has a Yoshi avatar. Thanks, Hiplop!

As ever, any questions or concerns, please let me know.
On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Post by hiplop »

yoyo guys. I know some of you from other games, but overall fairly new to you all. I've read the thread and all that jazz.

1) What alignment and role do you prefer, and why? Town PR is my favourite, then third party, then scum, and i really hate VT. Not much fun tbh
2) Would you lynch lurkers? Completely depends on the situation; if we can gain information from their death, then sure. But I am against policy lynches for the most part.
3) When lynching, do you rely on your gut or your analysis? A mix of both. I know in my mind what can't be true, and so gut definitely contributes to my play, not in a huge way, though.
4) What is your stanch on using meta? Very much against it, as I know I have been lynched many times due to "playing differently". My playstyle changes rather often, and its more based on my emotions at the time than my alignment.
5) What's your timezone? EST
6) What is your posting style: A few lengthy posts or a lot of small posts? Mix of both, though I have been trying to become more of a waller, but I do like being succinct and to the point; too many walls can be a VERY boring thing, and cause players to lose interest.
7) How much do you expect to post in this game? A lot.

VOTE: PARADOX for being hamtaro! Making me miss my childhood! :P

I haven't noticed much scum-behavior thus far, but BKWM is my top scum-spect, so im staying away from his lynch atm. TheAm to me seems townie, and quite honestly the reasons for the pressure on him are pretty bad. He looks to me like an inexperienced townie, rather than scum.
third best scummer of all time
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Post by Ghostlin »

CS's spoiler about self hammering is accurate and a must read. The TL;DR version is something like if you're scum, know what you're doing--if you're town, don't do it at all.

In order my scum/town continnum looks like this:
TM--BKWM--AeR (The not voting sounds really non commital, frankly)---REST OF TOWN

CS and SB have been reading MORE town, but I'll be able to nail that down better later.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Post by Ghostlin »

EBWOP: These people lean more towards the scummy side in the nulls automatically:
Not Voting (3): paradox, AeRyung, Ibarra

Ibarra's replacement did vote at least.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Morthas
Morthas
Goon
Morthas
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Post by Morthas »

Come here and screw up my reads?! Thanks hiplop.
Welcome : D
Capitalism, ho
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Post by AeRyung »

Welp.

Vote: BKWM
Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Post by AeRyung »

AeRyung wrote:Welp.

Meant to do this

Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:27 am

Post by hiplop »

hes a l-1. I strongly recommend someone unvote, unless you really want to secure a lynch on page 5...

you find not voting scummy, Ghostlin? When scum finds that out, they can easily counter it, so its not a very good scum-hunting technique... see:Aeryu

;D @morthas.
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:10 am

Post by theamatuer »

unvote
vote: theamatuer

<.<>.>
.................................................what?
Its just whatever
paradox
paradox
Townie
paradox
Townie
Townie

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:06 am

Post by paradox »

;;
Morthas wrote:
paradox wrote:
Morthas wrote:
paradox wrote:
Morthas wrote:Since most people(Ahem, paradox) have posted sufficiently I am going to ask
Who do you think is our scum? (Gut feelings are good too, some stances would be great).

I´ve read everything, the only thing that
seems
slightly suspicious to me is BKWM

Why is he slightly suspicious? If it's because you agree with someone, why are their reasons more valid?

Reasoning without evidence is not as valid as Reasoning with evidence.

Reasoning with false evidence is much less valid than reasoning without evidence. Explain WHY are their reasons valid.

Yeah, you make me rethink. You are right, Their reasonings are equally valid.

hiplop wrote:

VOTE: PARADOX for being hamtaro! Making me miss my childhood! :P

:P

@Everyone: I cant get online tomorrow, I will continue posting on August 1st :)

@Scum: Enjoy my absence! :P
SoulBlade
SoulBlade
Townie
SoulBlade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 am

Post by SoulBlade »

theamatuer wrote:unvote

<.<>.>

Self-hammering? Interesting. But how can we trust you? You can't just prove yourself being town by voting for yourself. You might deceive us.
When in doubt, say -
Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal
//
[Last.fm]
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:01 am

Post by Ghostlin »

theamatuer wrote:unvote

<.<>.>

Congrats on your scum claim. Let me know how that works out for you.
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:38 am

Post by Ghostlin »

A thing to remember, folks is we're on Page 5 of Day 1--Day 2 will not start well with as little information we have. Please, even though it may be tempting to vote BK or TM at this point and lynch, we don't have enough future information for tomorrow and following Days.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:34 am

Post by hiplop »

hiplop wrote:hes a l-1. I strongly recommend someone unvote, unless you really want to secure a lynch on page 5...

you find not voting scummy, Ghostlin? When scum finds that out, they can easily counter it, so its not a very good scum-hunting technique... see:Aeryu

;D @morthas.
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Post by Ghostlin »

hiplop wrote:
hiplop wrote:hes a l-1. I strongly recommend someone unvote, unless you really want to secure a lynch on page 5...

;D @morthas.

I find it scummy that she held off until she did. It's like going "I think this person is scum but..." if you've got a scum suspect, you should be voting for them. If you don't, you're either obvactivelurking, about to be replaced, or have no opinion, none of which helps town at all.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”