Newbie 1136: DarthYoshi's Dystopia of Death (Fin--who won?!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
BKWM
BKWM
Townie
BKWM
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:35 am

Post by BKWM »

EBWOP

crap. also UNVOTE: Ghostlin
Ibarra
Ibarra
Goon
Ibarra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 am

Post by Ibarra »

theamatuer wrote:7.a lot as i'm hopefully not going to be lynched day 1

Why are you trying to deter people from voting you by saying that you will post a lot. I find that suspicious.

theamatuer wrote:EBWOP: L-2 doesn't actually give as much pressure as L-1, it is because they encourage hammers do the L-1'd want to persuade them, and thus we would get more valuable information

Placing people at L-1 brings the possibility of a quick hammer and that's something we don't want, because:
1) They may prematurely end the day.
2) They may accidentally lynch a power role.
In summary, it's too risky to place someone at L-1 just to check their reaction.
Red text is for facts.

Blue text is for accusations.
ConSpiracy
ConSpiracy
Mafia Scum
ConSpiracy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:37 am

Post by ConSpiracy »

Ibarra wrote:Placing people at L-1 brings the possibility of a quick hammer and that's something we don't want, because:
1) They may prematurely end the day.
2) They may accidentally lynch a power role.
In summary, it's too risky to place someone at L-1 just to check their reaction.

Disagree. Off course having scum quickhammer means that we loose a townie with a high chance of a second one, but that means that we will lynch scum next day and possibly town at night, leaving town with at worst 4:1, at best 6:1. Coping with 4:1 with knowledge of a scumbuddy and still having the possibility of town PRs existing
with
information of two nights is a lot better than 2:9 with no information yet and only assured PRs.

Obviously it's better to have a quickhammer later in the day than having it at start for information. However it still outweighs not automatically lynching scum. And this is a lesson for every town: Do not quickhammer! If you are voting for somebody always check if he isn't accidentally lynched when voting.
If somebody has tools to fix my scumdar, pm me.
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:53 am

Post by theamatuer »

Ibarra wrote:
theamatuer wrote:7.a lot as i'm hopefully not going to be lynched day 1

Why are you trying to deter people from voting you by saying that you will post a lot. I find that suspicious.

No, normally I post whenever I'm online and somebody else posts, so I do take a lot of the thread. That's in other forums of course.
And I got lynched in day 1 on other games as well, so I'm kind apprehensive about it.
Its just whatever
Ibarra
Ibarra
Goon
Ibarra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:25 am

Post by Ibarra »

ConSpiracy wrote:Disagree. Off course having scum quickhammer means that we loose a townie with a high chance of a second one, but that means that we will lynch scum next day and possibly town at night, leaving town with at worst 4:1, at best 6:1. Coping with 4:1 with knowledge of a scumbuddy and still having the possibility of town PRs existing
with
information of two nights is a lot better than 2:9 with no information yet and only assured PRs.

But what if town quickhammers by mistake? I've experienced a game wherein a townie accidentally quickhammered and thus was lynched the following day. My point is that we should avoid going into L-1 just on a simple, "let's see how they react" to avoid accidents like what happened to the game I was playing in. We should only get someone to L-1 when we're sure that the target is suspicious enough to warrant a possible lynch.

ConSpiracy wrote:And this is a lesson for every town: Do not quickhammer! If you are voting for somebody always check if he isn't accidentally lynched when voting.

I cannot stress this point enough. Always use the Preview feature. Mafiascum sadly doesn't have the notification for when someone ninja's you.

theamatuer wrote:No, normally I post whenever I'm online and somebody else posts, so I do take a lot of the thread. That's in other forums of course.
And I got lynched in day 1 on other games as well, so I'm kind apprehensive about it.

It's fine to hate being lynched Day 1, but do not try to deter people from doing so with the promise of activity. Activity =/= Being Town
Red text is for facts.

DarthYoshi
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
DarthYoshi
I am your Father
I am your Father

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 am

Post by DarthYoshi »

Day One, Vote Count the Second

Paradox (1): Ghostlin
Morthas (1): theamatuer
ConSpiracy (1): Ibarra
AeRyung (1): SoulBlade
SoulBlade (1): AeRyung
AeRyung (1): BKWM
theamatuer (1): ConSpiracy
Not Voting (2): paradox, Morthas

etanga has failed to confirm participation in 72 hours and has been replaced by Morthas. Thanks, Morthas!

@BKWM: Just an FYI, you are not required to unvote before re-voting. It is helpful, but not required.

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch and 5 to no-lynch.

The deadline to lynch is currently set for 12:00 noon, Pacific Daylight Time (GMT - 7), on Saturday, August 13.

As ever, any questions or concerns, please let me know.

On hiatus from any new mafia commitments.
Jesus loves you. But that doesn't mean you're town.
James 2:13
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:33 am

Post by Ghostlin »

Con's eagerness to promote folks to L-1 early seems to be partially dissonant to his 'Don't Quickhammer' stance. (Reasoning: L-1 increases the chance of quickhammering---reason why you avoid it in RVS.)

Day one is the most important day for newbie games. More scum blowouts happen from rushing the process than not.

Theam's stance seems to be more focused on survival (at least past Day 1) versus more important concerns--making sure town has enough information to go on, for instance
before
you get lynched is more important. In English: while you should fight against your lynch (if you're Town, you're fighting for the only confirmed townie in the game, if you're Scum, well...you don't want to lose) if you're VT,
don't be afraid to stick your neck out.
You may get lynched, but since bandwagon analysis is a BIG part of this game...

BKWM: Your argument is something of a logical fallacy why I could be scum, but it's RVS anyway. Also, if there's a 2/9 chance of being scum, there's a 7/9 chance of being Town, with at least a 1/9 of being a town PR in a 2x4.

Out of the things I've pointed out---the inclination towards self presevation is the MOST scummy, so I will:

Unvote.

Vote: Theam
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Morthas
Morthas
Goon
Morthas
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:54 am

Post by Morthas »

Hai gaiz,
I'm pretty sure i'm unfamiliar with everyone here other than AeRyung ( Know her from IRL and got her into trying mafiascum so i might be slightly biased on her, I'll try my best not to be though)
I have been keeping up with the game but as per my usual way of playing I tend to have nothing to say in the early stages of the game(Trying to correct that).

1) What alignment and role do you prefer, and why?
2) Would you lynch lurkers?
3) When lynching, do you rely on your gut or your analysis?
4) What is your stanch on using meta?
5) What's your timezone?
6) What is your posting style: A few lengthy posts or a lot of small posts?
7) How much do you expect to post in this game?

Answers:
1) I'm kind of weird on this one, I prefer VT so i don't have to worry about much.
2) Depends on what kind of lurker
3) Analysis which is sadly very often wrong, i stick with analysis though.
4) I can see the uses for it and i can see it being very helpful, can't bring myself to read multiple games of other people because of lazyness though
5) Uh, UTC +3 i think. It's 19:46 right now so....
6) Lots of small fluffy posts with occasional Walls. Funny how i had people question me on my meta last game.
7) I don't know, depends if i can handle 3 games. I could barely handle 2 games but we shall see, i won't flake i give you that.

Everyone who doesn't have an avatar, please get one. If you don't have anything in mind ask me and ill probably give you a picture of my p-tree outside. Going to have a reread and i'll probably be placing a vote.
Capitalism, ho
BKWM
BKWM
Townie
BKWM
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 am

Post by BKWM »

@Ghostlin: The main point was to impress upon the amateur to not stand blindly behind you tooting on your horn just because you are the IC, but upon rereading, you are right, I did make it sound like he should be overly suspicious of you. I apologize. That was not my intention, although I do (and rightfully i feel) fear for losing the game more IF you ARE scum then if you're not.

@Morthas: You weren't here when I said it before, so Greetings and Hello. And I don't have an avatar, or the knowledge of how to make one. Every Forum I've ever been on I didn't feel I needed one, so I didn't get one. I understand why everyone wants me to get one know, so going to google. Will hopefully have a picture under my name soon.
BKWM
BKWM
Townie
BKWM
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:00 am

Post by BKWM »

EBWOP.
okay, if I had known it was that easy, I would have done it years ago. :oops:
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Post by AeRyung »

@BKWM: I have stated in an earlier post that It was my very first game, and that is the truth. Knowing myself, if I was scum, I would probably never say something like that because the slightest dialog of reason would grab the attentions of the ones who are either experienced, or someone who would vote out of instinct(you). But since the ones who are actually experienced in the game have not given me the FOS nor a vote yet, it seems that experience does not lie. Yet, I still cannot be so sure to say that they are not scum as well. The noob that I am, and the simple mind that a noob can have, I will point my FOS to you though, BKWM, for being too suspicious of others without an elaborate analytical explanation for why you think they are scum. I'm watching you.

@Morthas: *whispers* I feel so lost without you. Anyone remember this? (Balto, great movie.)

Unvote.
Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
LoL: AeRyung
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Post by theamatuer »

Ghostlin wrote:
Unvote.

theam?
unvote.
vote: ConSpiracy

lets start the L-2
Its just whatever
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by theamatuer »

ConSpiracy wrote:
theamatuer wrote:It is because the IC's are supposed to help the newbies get accustomed to the game. The IC would then start to have a sense of reliability around him, and thus if you attack him, the newbies would turn towards you instead.
I'll keep my vote as it is.

So you are scared of being attacked because you voted for the IC?
Vote: theamatuer

EBWOP: if you didn't notice, I voted for etanga (now Marthas). So no, I'm not that scared. But then again, excluding me, there are 5 newbies, just enough for a lynch. So you can't play too complex either, else the newbies just decide to lynch someone instead of trying to understand.
Its just whatever
BKWM
BKWM
Townie
BKWM
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Post by BKWM »

@AeRyung: I am not accusing anyone of being scum, which is why I have not given any reasons for anyone being scum. I am attempting to get under everyone's skin, in the hopes that the scum will slip up. When I actually think I have found someone who I believe is scum, trust me, you'll have the full list of my reasons. That said, your pointing out that you are suspicious of me because I said something about something that the experienced players have said nothing about is proof that my strategy is working, so thank you. I will continue to get under your skin as much as I possibly can, please don't take it personally, unless you are scum, in which case feel free to get so pissed you cant type straight.
Ibarra
Ibarra
Goon
Ibarra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Post by Ibarra »

theamatuer wrote:
unvote.

lets start the L-2

Care to explain this vote?
Oddly enough, ConsPiracy also voted for you earlier.

@BKWM
You do know that by stating your plan out loud, you ruined its effectiveness.

Also:
Unvote
Red text is for facts.

SoulBlade
SoulBlade
Townie
SoulBlade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Post by SoulBlade »

Great discussion, I learnt a lot about voting and mafia games overall. Sorry I wasn't posting - I wasn't feeling well yesterday.
When in doubt, say -
Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal
//
[Last.fm]
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Post by theamatuer »

I'm trying to get an L-2 on him, which then hopefully we can pry an acceptable defense out of him, like I said earlier.
Its just whatever
AeRyung
AeRyung
Townie
AeRyung
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Post by AeRyung »

BKWM wrote:@AeRyung: I am not accusing anyone of being scum, which is why I have not given any reasons for anyone being scum. I am attempting to get under everyone's skin, in the hopes that the scum will slip up. When I actually think I have found someone who I believe is scum, trust me, you'll have the full list of my reasons. That said, your pointing out that you are suspicious of me because I said something about something that the experienced players have said nothing about is proof that my strategy is working, so thank you. I will continue to get under your skin as much as I possibly can, please don't take it personally, unless you are scum, in which case feel free to get so pissed you cant type straight.

I said I find you suspicious because of your elaborateless reasoning as to why you voted for the people you did. But then again, there isn't much to elaborate without a good amount of info. Though, your last post has increased my FoS on you. You are quite aggitated by my post of suspicion, I sensed an irritation in your writing. Here are some reasons why I suspect you. First, you lost your composure to my FoS. Second, you revealed your "plan" (Why?). Third, when you said "unless you are scum, in which case feel free to get so pissed you cant type straight." It sounds like an attempted provocation, or alternitavely, a way to get FoS off of yourself, desperately.
Where is
MY
Eric Northman
?
LoL: AeRyung
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 am

Post by theamatuer »

For now [unvote. vote: BKWM] to help AeRyung to get BKWM's defense.
Its just whatever
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 am

Post by theamatuer »

EBWOP
unvote. vote: BKWM
Its just whatever
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 am

Post by theamatuer »

EBWOP(again): I just realized that theam was supposed to be me. Well, I am mostly trying to aid others in their attacks for now, since I don't seem to have anyone in mind.
So basically, I'm running a semi-aggressive/helping type of play, and I'll switch to aggresive once I have enough suspicions.
Its just whatever
BKWM
BKWM
Townie
BKWM
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 am

Post by BKWM »

Ibarra wrote:
@BKWM

Also:
Unvote

I don't think it will, because the scum know that I am town, therefore, they know that I am trying to find them. They also know that the only way for me to do that is to make them slip up by getting under their skin, or by seeing it when someone else makes them slip up. So I didn't reveal that I was doing anything other than the standard aggressive townie play, (which I have already admitted to doing) which is to say, attempting to get under the scum's skin by being aggressive towards everyone, and thus being aggressive towards the scum. And even though they now know that I am going to come after them, they still have to hold their shit together when I do.

@AeRyung: First, I did not lose my composure, I simply addressed your concerns. Second, I revealed the part of my "plan" that was (in my mind) obvious, and the part where I did not think secrecy was necessary. (Really hope I'm not wrong there). Third, uh, yeah it was provocation.

@theamatuer: You want my defense, do you have any questions for me?
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:24 am

Post by Ghostlin »

theamatuer wrote:
Ghostlin wrote:
Unvote.

theam?
unvote.

lets start the L-2

I truncated your name. The majority of mafia games, if you can make it clear who your are voting for, abbrevations are fine (mostly beause there are people with longer handles that most of the people in this game out there).
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
theamatuer
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
theamatuer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:58 am

Post by theamatuer »

Ghostin, you can just call me ta or something.
To BKWM, I'm just helping Ibarra here, since I do not feel any suspicions about anybody yet.
Its just whatever
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Post by Ghostlin »

BKWM wrote:
Ibarra wrote:
@BKWM

Also:
Unvote

I don't think it will, because the scum know that I am town, therefore, they know that I am trying to find them. They also know that the only way for me to do that is to make them slip up by getting under their skin, or by seeing it when someone else makes them slip up. So I didn't reveal that I was doing anything other than the standard aggressive townie play, (which I have already admitted to doing) which is to say, attempting to get under the scum's skin by being aggressive towards everyone, and thus being aggressive towards the scum. And even though they now know that I am going to come after them, they still have to hold their shit together when I do.

@AeRyung: First, I did not lose my composure, I simply addressed your concerns. Second, I revealed the part of my "plan" that was (in my mind) obvious, and the part where I did not think secrecy was necessary. (Really hope I'm not wrong there). Third, uh, yeah it was provocation.

@theamatuer: You want my defense, do you have any questions for me?

Meh. Since they know now you're trying to get a reaction out of them, there's less of a chance you'll get one. I think that's what Ibarra's getting at. My suggestion: while what you're doing is good and pressure in hopes your opponent will crack is excellent--build cases that town can build on.

TM: Do you see anything scummy at all about any of the discussions in the game? What do you find scummy about BK?

AeR: Why haven't you upgraded your FoS on BK to a full vote yet.

Soulblade: Who do you think is scum?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”