Mini 210: Secret Ballot Mafia- The Ballotbox is Closed!

JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Mini 210: Secret Ballot Mafia- The Ballotbox is Closed!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:32 pm

Post by JereIC »

Welcome to Secret Ballot Mafia! A town of only 12, Happyfunville is in danger of being overrun by the vile mafia presence, who have taken to killing one innocent person each night. Now that the time is grim, the villagers turn to their time-honored tradition of the secret ballot to fight back. Each day, after lengthy discussion, they will each fill out a ballot, feed them to the Voticutioner, and the winner... er, loser of the vote will be thrown into the Pit O' Snakes, Happyfunville's main tourist attraction. Drastic times call for drastic measures, but if drastic measures mean sacrificing your right to vote in secret, well, the mafia has already won.

The game has ended! This page has been restored to its night 1 glory for anybody who wants to keep the suspense in re-reading.

Filling up the ballot box (12):
Astronaut
ChocoCid
halfpint
ibaesha (replaces Lubabah)
inHimshallibe (replaces Ogre)
KingEnigma
mathcam
rajrhcpfreak
SpeedyKQ (replaces Pariah)
Thok (replaces Save The Dragons)
Tyfo (replaces Someone)
Yoko Kurama

Filling up a plain cedar box (0):
Last edited by JereIC on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:18 am, edited 24 times in total.
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:00 pm

Post by JereIC »

Secret Ballot Mafia

Night
  • The game begins in night.
  • The thread is locked during night, and you may not discuss the game with other players unless your role specifically says you may.
  • For night one only, please confirm that you received your role by PM. This is the townie role PM, for reference:
    Townie:
    Your name could be here!

Welcome to Secret Ballot Mafia! You are a townie. Talk in the day, vote when duty calls, and fear the night. You have no night choices. You win when all anti-town elements are eliminated. Please confirm that you've received this role by PM as soon as possible. Good luck, and have fun!
  • Get night choices to me as soon as possible. If night lasts too long, I will prod and may set a deadline.
  • When all choices are in, or the deadline passes, the night ends and day begins.
Day
  • The thread is unlocked during the day. You may only discuss the game with other players in this thread.
  • You may not quote any PM I send you, including role PMs.
  • If you're dead, you may post a single "Go team!" post. No relevant information.
  • Be polite and respectful of other players. If you think somebody is breaking this rule against you, PM me. Don't try to fight fire with fire on this front.
  • If the day gets too long, I may set a deadline. Once the deadline is reached, the day ends and voting begins.
  • If you want to end the day and start voting, write
    VOTE NOW
    in big bold letters in a post. If you later change your mind, and don't want to vote immediately, write
    NO VOTE
    in big bold letters in a post. Text will be ignored unless it is in bold.
  • If you write
    Vote: That guy
    , I'll assume you want to start voting, but you aren't actually voting for That guy.
  • Once a majority of players want to vote, the day ends and voting begins.
Voting
  • The thread is locked during voting, and you may not discuss the game with other players unless your role specifically says you may.
  • To vote, simply PM me with your vote. You may vote No Lynch. A majority of this choice is necessary to end voting without a lynch.
  • Voting continues until one player has a majority of votes, or all votes are in.
  • If no player has a majority after all votes are in, a run-off vote takes place between the two top vote getters. Everyone votes again in the run off, but you can only vote for one of the two options, or abstain.
  • If a tie occurs, mafia votes will be considered tie-breaking. If mafia votes aren't sufficient to break a tie, it will be broken by roll of the die.
  • Vote totals are not revealed in game.
  • Once a player has a majority of votes, s/he is lynched, his/her role revealed, voting ends, and night begins...
If you have any questions, or catch any mistakes, PM me. Good luck, and have fun!
JereIC
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
JereIC
Dr. Pants on Fire
Dr. Pants on Fire

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:00 pm

Post by JereIC »

It was a dark night. It was also a stormy night. In fact, it was a dark
and
stormy night in Happyfunville, and the Happyfunvillagers cowered in fear in their homes, staying as far from the rain, and the bloodshed, as possible.

Not Yoko Kurama, however. And, as he was confronted by the dark figures in the equally dark alleyway, he began to to wonder about the potentially lethal side-effects of his nightly constitutionals.

"Do any of you need help?" asked Yoko. "I am a trained medical -."

"Yoko, yo' so
dead
!" said one of the gangsters, getting to the point.

'Actually, I feel fine, it's not like I been stabbed in the gut or anything... oops, speak of the devil."

Yoko pitches forward, gives a dramatic last breathe, and them slumps into the underworld. Hours later, the town finds poor Yoko's body, as well as his poor never to be used again stethoscope.

Yoko Kurama, doc, is dead at the start of day 1! With 11 players alive, six are needed to start voting.

Let's hope the sun illuminates some suspects.

Edit: Rajhcpfreak is having computer difficulty, and may only be able to log on early morning during the work-week for a while.
Pariah
Pariah
Goon
Pariah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:33 pm

Post by Pariah »

Hmmm...since I can't really random vote, I think I'll have to do a random
FoS: Lubabah
for having a name I can't spell without looking up.

One death implies we don't have a serial killer (while stabbing seems like an SK, the word gangster shows up in the death description), but with the doctor dead, we'll probably know for sure tomorrow. Unless there's a really lucky roleblocker.
Tales of Monkey Island - made by the guys who brought back Sam and Max!

Surely, PariahKing is a good, nice and kind man and would not mess with us in such a way. - Zindaras
ChocoCid
ChocoCid
Goon
ChocoCid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Post by ChocoCid »

What would happen if the doctor targeted someone who got targeted by a nightkill? Would the kill be stopped then the doctor killed? I think knowing this would help us.
[url=http://www.rpgelite.net]RPG Elite[/url] (777) Dragoon Choco-Mage: ChocoCid
Pariah
Pariah
Goon
Pariah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:41 pm

Post by Pariah »

ChocoCid wrote:What would happen if the doctor targeted someone who got targeted by a nightkill? Would the kill be stopped then the doctor killed? I think knowing this would help us.
Yeah, if he protected someone who was going to die, and got killed himself, the player would still live.

Surely, PariahKing is a good, nice and kind man and would not mess with us in such a way. - Zindaras
ChocoCid
ChocoCid
Goon
ChocoCid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:51 pm

Post by ChocoCid »

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. That would explain the lack of a second kill... although two kills a night seems like it'd be powerful in a 12-person game. I could see there being no SK.
KingEnigma
KingEnigma
Goon
KingEnigma
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:12 pm

Post by KingEnigma »

Pariah, I'm not a big fan of anyone that brings up SK like 2 posts in, with nothing to suggest that there is one.

and since that scares me, and that means you scare me, and if you scare me i dont want you to be around anymore, because you make me nervous, and if i get nervous i usually have a good reason to be, and if i have a good reason to be then you must be scum, because no other reason is good.

understand?
So a nun, the easter bunny, and a blonde walk into a bar. The bartender says "What is this, a joke?
Pariah
Pariah
Goon
Pariah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:05 pm

Post by Pariah »

KingEnigma wrote:Pariah, I'm not a big fan of anyone that brings up SK like 2 posts in, with nothing to suggest that there is one.

and since that scares me, and that means you scare me, and if you scare me i dont want you to be around anymore, because you make me nervous, and if i get nervous i usually have a good reason to be, and if i have a good reason to be then you must be scum, because no other reason is good.

understand?
Understand. I was mostly trying to make conversation, and no one had made any posts. I was trying to discuss
something
just to start the day. It's probably bad to make assumptions either way, so I'll just drop the topic now.

Someone
Someone
Well, we gotta remove Someone
Someone

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:06 am

Post by Someone »

So, no votes. How are we going to go about making sure our lynch is going to help the town? Scum can manipulate the lynch quite easily in this game, so we have to be extra careful...
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
Astronaut
Astronaut
Goon
Astronaut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:21 am

Post by Astronaut »

I think it would be a good idea for us to announce who we're going to vote for before we proceed to the actual voting. Scum are as far as I can see the ones who have the most to gain by not playing with open cards.

My guess is that we could have a "vote cop" among us, and if he's going to be of any help we need townies to be honest about where they're going to place their vote.
[size=84][i]Have you been peckish during the night? Only, someone's been at me cheese.[/size][/i]
ChocoCid
ChocoCid
Goon
ChocoCid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:57 am

Post by ChocoCid »

The thing is, if everyone is open about your vote it makes it painfully obvious for the mafia to see where to place their vote to lynch someone who wouldn't otherwise be lynched.

Also, saying who you're going to vote for goes against the spirit of the secret ballot, so
FOS: Astronaut
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:52 pm

Post by mathcam »

Pariah, also notice that there were multiple figures in the alleyway, implying further that it wasn't a serial killer. There are plenty of explanations for only having one kill, and "one killing group" is just one of them (albeit more likely than several of the others).

And ChocoCid's point about voting in the open is
especially
valid since the mafia get to break ties.

Cam
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:57 pm

Post by halfpint »

ChocoCid wrote:Okay, I wasn't aware of that. That would explain the lack of a second kill... although two kills a night seems like it'd be powerful in a 12-person game. I could see there being no SK.
Well, I've been in mini's and modded mini's that have more than 1 killing group. So, another possibility is that there is more than 1 killing group and they targeted the same person. However, since I feel that the town is at a serious disadvantage in the game, my gut feeling is that there is only one killing group.

I can see reasons why not announcing who you are going to vote for is a good thing. But, Someone's question about how we are going to make sure our lynch is going to help the town is still valid. How are we going do this?
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:17 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

Umm...guys?
JereIC wrote:Happyfunville is in danger of being overrun by the vile mafia presence, who have taken to killing
one
innocent person each night.
JereIC wrote: [*]If a tie occurs, mafia votes will be considered tie-breaking. If mafia votes aren't sufficient to break a tie, it will be broken by roll of the die.
Looks like just mafia. Any SK is this game is, with all due respect, shitted. Nothing is impossible, but still.

Oh, we're saying who we're voting for? Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm definatly going for That guy.

The dilema is, if we reveal our votes, then the mafia will easily hop on any lynch that doesn't involve them. But if we all pool our votes to a scumbag, then they're screwed, they know it, and they have to watch it as we force-feed it to them.
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:46 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

Drastic times call for drastic measures, but if drastic measures mean sacrificing your right to vote in secret, well, the mafia has already won.

with that being said i think that if we vote in the open it will help the mafia. it sounds like the town could have some advantage or special role that gives them an advantage to keeping everything secret.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
ChocoCid
ChocoCid
Goon
ChocoCid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:40 am

Post by ChocoCid »

I think that the secret nature of the ballot gives an inherent advantage to the Mafia, so I think that there are a large percentage of information roles among the townies- along the lines of 2 cops and 2 docs, I would imagine, as well as a vig.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:24 pm

Post by mathcam »

I think I agree with Cid. The mafia can collaborate the previous night to all vote for the same person, so to make sure we don't let them have their way with the voting, we can't just "do our own thing." One other possibility is to narrow it down to two candidates and have everyone vote for their most suspicious...this makes it a little harder for mafia to effectively decide the vote, but it's still a little sketchy. Actually, yeah...the more I think about it, the more sketchy it is. I think we don't have to be unanimous to make a decision, but it should be pretty close.

Cam
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:35 pm

Post by halfpint »

mathcam wrote:so to make sure we don't let them have their way with the voting, we can't just "do our own thing."
I think I'm a little confused here. Are we talking about making it known who we are going to vote for before we go to the voting process?
Yoko Kurama
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Alarmist

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:49 pm

Post by Yoko Kurama »

Jerks :P
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

I think I'm a little confused here. Are we talking about making it known who we are going to vote for before we go to the voting process?
yes

what if its narrowed down to 2 people and the town splits its vote between the people and then the mafia votes as a group for another person, then....

well i guess that doesnt matter untill later in the game because there isnt that many mafia in the game. but, by then we will know what we are doing and would need to come to an unanimous decision.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
halfpint
halfpint
Goon
halfpint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:18 am

Post by halfpint »

Okay, thanks. :D I think that it sounds like a good plan because the town working together is better than the town working individually.

So, do you think ogre knows that the game started? He's the only one who hasn't posted anything.
ChocoCid
ChocoCid
Goon
ChocoCid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:40 am

Post by ChocoCid »

#

# If no player has a majority after all votes are in, a run-off vote takes place between the two top vote getters. Everyone votes again in the run off, but you can only vote for one of the two options, or abstain.
# If a tie occurs, mafia votes will be considered tie-breaking. If mafia votes aren't sufficient to break a tie, it will be broken by roll of the die.
So basically once we decide to vote, it's highly unlikely we get a majority, so the top two will be a runoff, and since we can't discuss during that voting period... Hm.... this is going to get real interesting, real fast.

There's 12 people in the game, probably 3 or 4 of which are mafia.
If they all set their vote on someone from the night before, that would mean the town would need 4-5 votes on two different scum to keep a townperson from being in the runoff, which is going to be impossible to get.
4 mafia=8 votes for town, and if we split the votes 4/4 that means the runoff's going to be between 2 mafia and 1 townie AT BEST.
Of course, 7 on one person is going to be even harder, as that would need 7/8 or 7/9 of the non-mafia people to get a lynch

Yeah, this voting setup is ridiculously in favor of the mafia.
:shock:
Someone
Someone
Someone

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:59 am

Post by Someone »

Can't we all decide to vote for one person? Why don't we agree, for the good of the town, that once we go into night, everyone should vote for the leading candadate for the lynch, no matter what your suspicions are. This will make our lynches somewhat more stable.

The more the voting period is random, the more the mafia can influence the vote. They have the power to coordinate their votes. To counterbalance that, we should do so as well.
This is just here so my posts don't look so ugly when I edit them.
Astronaut
Astronaut
Goon
Astronaut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:38 am

Post by Astronaut »

I agree with Someone.

Knowing who the others voted for is the most useful information a regular townie can get. If we all keep our votes secret, we won't have anything but what's said here in the thread to make accusations on.
[size=84][i]Have you been peckish during the night? Only, someone's been at me cheese.[/size][/i]

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”