I puzzle myself sometimes
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:34 pm

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

im willing to try it.

vote: no lynch

we may find out real soon that it dosent work as well as we thought.
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
SinisterOverlord
SinisterOverlord
Goon
SinisterOverlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by SinisterOverlord »

Sire, the votes stand as follows:

Astronaut: 2 (Puzzle, Mr. Flay)
No Lynch: 2 (EmpTyger, rajrhcpfreak)
EmpTyger: 1 (Thok)
Puzzle: 1 (dybeck)
dybeck: 1 (VisMaior)
Mr. Flay: 1 (HezLucky)

10 to lynch.
MUAHAHAHAHA!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Post by VisMaior »

I suggest everybody read newbie 128.
ugh, could you make a quick recap as to what to watch for? I am unwilling (read: lazy) to read trough and come to conclusions on my own.
What about barbarians developing stuff (they almost certainly will have a faster tech tree than us, or get better units than us at each stage).
I'm assuming that he's spent more time polishing up this game.
I think barbarians might have "investigation protection" instead of doc protection on their units. Also, Vigkill might be overkill in a barbarians hand, so that one is most probably replaced with some other power, too.

I must say, I have not played Civ 3 myself, so im a bit confused at the moment.
"logic is in the eye of the beholder" -LyingBrian in Eyewitness 1
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
d_rouge
d_rouge
Goon
d_rouge
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:28 am

Post by d_rouge »

Checking in.
I agree that there's probably a way to break this game and we should try to find it. I'm not that sure that this includes going no lynch, however. The information we get from vote patterns may very well complement the information we get from night abilities, thus giving us a better understanding of the situation.

As for civilizations and UU, I think we cannot rule out a priori the possibility of there being Civ:PTW and/or Civ:Conquests in this game.

random vote: Hezlucky
World Champions!!!
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:33 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

You
want
to break the game? Why can't we just have guidelines, and play the usual way?
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:37 am

Post by Iammars »

PLEASE NO!
NOT ANOTHER BREAKING THE GAME ARGUMENT!!! :x
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:58 am

Post by VisMaior »

Huh? Breaking the game has 2 advantages

1. the setup turns out to be breakable, so it can be fixed
2. We automatically win :D

Why would you NOT want it? Unless you are on the loosing side, that is...
"correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the CHANCE of something happening always 50% (either it will or it won't)?" -LyingBrian in BJs Wild West mafia
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:03 am

Post by Iammars »

VisMaior wrote:Huh? Breaking the game has 2 advantages

1. the setup turns out to be breakable, so it can be fixed
2. We automatically win :D

Why would you NOT want it? Unless you are on the loosing side, that is...
Nonono, you're not understanding. Check Dragon Mafia.
"Rolefishing is fishing for someones role. It's called fishing because it requires subtlety. When you grab a shotgun and start firing into the water, thats not fishing." - IH
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:04 am

Post by VisMaior »

25 pages to check? Culd you just give me a recap?
Iammars
Iammars
Mers I am not
Iammars
Mers I am not
Mers I am not

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:06 am

Post by Iammars »

Just check the last 4. Since I took over.
HezLucky
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HezLucky
HEZZZZZWAVRE
HEZZZZZWAVRE

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:26 am

Post by HezLucky »

Haha. I'm always in favour of breaking the game.
The following people own: Pie, Fritz, Inhim

The greatest mafia game ever: http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18080
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak
rajrhcpfreak

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:27 am

Post by rajrhcpfreak »

im not saying we should break it, but we can no lynch to give the town a better chance of investigative roles...
Show
http://kysurvivorfreak.blogspot.com/

raj's to do list:
Zulu Mafia : TBA
No Night Mafia : TBA
Epic Mafia : TBA

Record: 22-33-2
2005: 10-13-2
2006: 5-10
2007: 1-2
2008: 2-4
2009: 3-0
2010: 2-4
2011-2017: retired
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:13 am

Post by Thok »

VisMaior wrote:25 pages to check? Culd you just give me a recap?
A role was killed that on death revealled all of the roles in the game. People are now arguing over a mass role claim, given that info.

For newbie 128, you probably only need to read the first couple pages of day one and then his day two discussion of no-lynch-the point is that EmpTyger is basically making the same arguments now that he was making when he was scum. I think he would make the same arguments as pro-town, but I'm not sure.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
VisMaior
VisMaior
Flip Out!
VisMaior
Flip Out!
Flip Out!

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:35 am

Post by VisMaior »

Ok, I was thinking about this. So if 1 unit has 40% chance of a succesful investigation, the chance of finding scum (Assuming 4 scumpeople) is 10% per player/night. That gives us a chance of 0.1+0.09+0.081+...+0.015 approximately 30% chance of finding scum per night (Less with less scum). Thats slightly better than random (what would be 0.25%), but Im not very satisfied with it. I think it would be better of a plan if the nations with the most probably good investigative UUs would go forward in the tech tree to get those units, and only the rest would investigate/protect. Since we do not know who has wich civ, we could agree on the civs who get to advance and we would not disclose who it really is. Any toughts?
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:32 am

Post by armlx »

I think breaking games is fine. I've broken 2 games so far and been on the mafia once when a game was broken. I agree with the plan.

Also, the chance increases every night as players build more units.

Also worry about the mafia blocking everyone.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
swinkee
swinkee
Townie
swinkee
Townie
Townie
Location: All the world is a stage and its inhabitants merely actors and by definition pansies.

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:41 am

Post by swinkee »

Just throwing a couple of ideas out there: Is it possible that the mafia don't have units? Is it possible that the mafia are assigned units each night? Because I've played Civ 1 and III, and in neither did the barbarians ever build units, and only rarely were even able to capture cities.
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:23 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

I'm against game-breaking. I'd rather play the game and have fun and lose than ruin the game but win automatically. :?

And
Random Vote: inHim
, because Bob Ross terrifies me.
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:23 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Swinkee: In Civ II I know that Barbarians could capture cities, and would only be able to make one unit. So it stands to reason that that may be how they advance up the tech tree/get units...

I'm okay with the No Lynch plan, but I'm not sure we need to run the day to and end just yet. There's a lot that can be learned from the day game without totally relying on a breaking strategy...
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:24 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Errr, one TYPE of unit; so we may see Barbarian Samurai soon (or something). Can someone state what the Japanese UU does/did?
Retired as of October 2014.
Astronaut
Astronaut
Goon
Astronaut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 pm

Post by Astronaut »

If it breaks, I say we break it.
[size=84][i]Have you been peckish during the night? Only, someone's been at me cheese.[/size][/i]
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

break break break break!
Permanent V/LA.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:34 pm

Post by Thok »

unvote EmpTyger
since nobody seems to want to support me, but IGMEOY EmpTyger.

(IGMEOY=I've got my eye on you, for future reference).

vote no lynch
for the time being.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:47 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Metagame question: Why does this game have *20* players?

The basic game of Civ3 had 16 civilizations. But I am concerned that assuming 16 civilizations = 16 townspeople with 4 barbarian antitowns is a mistake. For one thing, a 4:1 ratio seems too high for the town. For another, massclaims Day 1 or ever pretty much automatically breaks the game *too* easily to be plausible. If the setup were 16 civilizations + n barbarians, I would have thought that the game would have had more players to allow a larger barbarian horde, setting aside the problem of massclaims. But I can’t see only 4 antitowns as plausible, at least not without them having safer claims. And if there are more than 4 antitowns, there must be less than 16 protowns.

I don’t think massclaiming is a good idea right now, but this should probably be rediscussed whatever day we decide to begin lynching, when there will have been more information obtained.

d_rouge:
d_rouge [28] wrote:Checking in.
I agree that there's probably a way to break this game and we should try to find it. I'm not that sure that this includes going no lynch, however. The information we get from vote patterns may very well complement the information we get from night abilities, thus giving us a better understanding of the situation.<snip>
Theoretically, no-lynching prolongs the game, which allows maximal development. This helps the town most, having the numerical advantage and thus the most potential at nighttime. Lynching, besides shortening the game, moreover works against maintaining the numerical advantage.
[That probably is the reasoning why no-lynching is traditionally bad for the town: the town is generally weakest at nighttime.]

With no-lynching being optimal, voting (and discussion of suspicions) becomes counterproductive. It gives the mafia more information about making their decisions. The only circumstance I can think of which would be worth announcing before the end of the no-lynching would be if an investigation revealing someone to be guilty, lest that information be lost before a lynching day. Vote patterns are meaningless because the votes are meaningless, because there won’t be a lynch. And the town will have a chance to obtain vote patterns whatever day we decide to lynch (or earlier- whatever day we consider ending the no-lynching).

VisMaior:
VisMaior [38] wrote:I think it would be better of a plan if the nations with the most probably good investigative UUs would go forward in the tech tree to get those units, and only the rest would investigate/protect. Since we do not know who has wich civ, we could agree on the civs who get to advance and we would not disclose who it really is. Any toughts?
We probably need to do something like your plan may or may not work, but I’m a little nervous about presuming the 16:4 setup. (For one thing, if we are assuming that setup, we should be massclaiming right now.) On the other hand, I don’t really have anything better off the top of my head. Let me think about it a little more.

inHim:
Forgive me, but if you prefer playing “normally” then why not play unthemed games?
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:04 pm

Post by Thok »

EmpTyger wrote:The basic game of Civ3 had 16 civilizations. But I am concerned that assuming 16 civilizations = 16 townspeople with 4 barbarian antitowns is a mistake. For one thing, a 4:1 ratio seems too high for the town. For another, massclaims Day 1 or ever pretty much automatically breaks the game *too* easily to be plausible. If the setup were 16 civilizations + n barbarians, I would have thought that the game would have had more players to allow a larger barbarian horde, setting aside the problem of massclaims. But I can’t see only 4 antitowns as plausible, at least not without them having safer claims. And if there are more than 4 antitowns, there must be less than 16 protowns.
I will repeat, there are expansion packs: Play the World and Conquests. That gives more then enough roles for this game. Moreover, I've mentioned that fact in the thread once already; there's no reason to bring it up again. I'm seriously tempted to vote you again for essentially fishing to see if expansion roles are in the game.

EmpTyger, we do learn something from random votes because we see who tries to follow the bandwagons, and what bandwagons don't take off. Go read Hospital mafia in normal. Because nearly everybody in that game is a doctor, a no-lynch strategy is useful. However, most of the scum in that game were caught because of discussion arising from random voting.
Puzzle
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Puzzle
Has a Cunning Plan
Has a Cunning Plan

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:40 pm

Post by Puzzle »

I am actually not sure I want to go No Lynch at all, which is why I shared Thok's doubts. However, I didn't want to vote in order to be able to gauge others' reactions better.
Now, I must say that bringing the topic of the mass claim helps Emptyger's case fairly well and Thok's a bit blind opposition is beginning to look weird.

I think we could have an alternative to a direct mass claim by simply claiming "main game" or "extension", which gives about nothing to scums and allows us to get a better overview of the setup. (I just need to check in which one I am, although I'm pretty confident).

And thanks Swinkee for wasting my cunning mouse trap.
For now, I'll ask Thoth to come up with reasons why I should be voting for him, and I'd like him to respond to those.
Commodore Amazing

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”