Mini 362 - Open Role Bastard Mafia (Game Over)

help im a bug
help im a bug
Goon
help im a bug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:54 am

Post by help im a bug »

I think mass claiming is definitely a bad idea in this game--it would not tell us who any of the scum are, but would give them clear targets among the town.
oh no
kirbyphreak
kirbyphreak
Goon
kirbyphreak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:15 am

Post by kirbyphreak »

mass claiming= no. awful idea. No Lynch though, could end up as what happens. The simple fact is, bandwagoning won't really help. I think we should not no lynch right now, but continue discussion and use it if nothing ends up happening. Other than that, not much to say.
I thought it was a turkey, I swear to God!
Nai
Nai
Executor of the Dead
Nai
Executor of the Dead
Executor of the Dead

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 am

Post by Nai »

No lynch, in this set-up, is a bad idea. If they have the vig... Well, we need to find a good lynch. We have a chance of getting mafia, so no-lynch is never a good idea like this.
bethelmark
bethelmark
Goon
bethelmark
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Post by bethelmark »

No lynch is definitely a bad idea here. Claiming is all for naught as well, as there is no way to determine alignment. Even a player claiming an important role if he's going to be lynched (such as the cop) means nothing here.
kirbyphreak
kirbyphreak
Goon
kirbyphreak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:38 pm

Post by kirbyphreak »

i dont think the mafia would have the vig. giving them 2 NKs a night is absurd. Unless, of course, the vig is their only NK. I dont know.
I thought it was a turkey, I swear to God!
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 pm

Post by Bogre »

I don't believe no lynch would be of any benefit here.

If you are looking to see if the scum have the vig or not by looking to see if there was a night kill, there is nothing stopping the vig, if he is scum, from withholding that kill. Then the town has confusion. Plus, whatever Pariah's 'bastardization' is will affect someone. Maybe that means a pro-town role will be nerfed, who knows. If someone else has a clue what the bastardization might entail, please offer your thoughts on that.

Simply put, IMO we'll learn a lot more from a lynch today than we'll be able to know by a no lynch tomorrow.
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.
M4yhem
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Post by M4yhem »

I have no idea what bastardation does, but I don't think there's any harm in speculating about it. I'm guessing it changes the role into something that works completly the opposite from what it's meant to. The problem is, some of the roles already work like that, like the crazy cop. Maybe the cop becomes a normal cop if he's bastardised?

Kirbyphreak seems to agree with me about the no lynch idea. I think we should call it 'plan Z' and only use it if we really need to.

Even if the vigilate kills tonight, we can't be sure he's mafia. He could just be a trigger happy townie. It's an interesting idea that the Vig might have the mafia's only kill, but we won't be able to find out until we've seen a few nights.

Right now, we just need something to talk about. What about that bandwagon on Zindaras? Whats that about?

Unvote:Bogre
because he followed my command. Good Bogre!
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Post by Twomz »

Although there's nothing in the rules that says that the Mod can only do antitown bastardizations, I doubt he would nerf the scums good luck that much by taking away their NK, just cause they have a vig.

I too think "bastardization" will be a lot like a role reversal. Cops sanity changes, doc is placebo/vig, vig rbs instead of kills, dogs sleep w/ cats, etc. Also, i'm not totally clear about whether one person is "bastardized" each night, or if there's a chance for each person that they'll be bastardized. (heck, maybe there's a player that gets to pick, i need to read the roles at the beginning closer).
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Post by Bogre »

There is actually a role that bastardizes/unbastardizes players, looking at the roles. Apparantly the Genealogist reverses the status of the player when he targets them.
Show
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:32 pm

Post by Zindaras »

Looking at it, I'd say the Inventor, Professor and Cleric are potentially bastard roles, because they're dealing with unknowns.

The "forced target for all non-vigilantes" thing kinda backs up the fact that not everyone may be wanting to target someone.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:15 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

I don't see right now how you guys speculating on roles is helping the town. It may help out when someone claims it but right now, it's just giving scum potential ideas on which roles may be the best and which ones they should try to off first =\
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
help im a bug
help im a bug
Goon
help im a bug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 am

Post by help im a bug »

Nai wrote:Well, claims will help. I don't understand what Twomz means by saying that counterclaims aren't going to help. Just because we know WHAT roles are in this game doesn't mean that a counterclaim does nothing. You treat a counterclaim in this game like a counterclaim in any other game: Lynch the first claimer then, if they're not scum, lynch the other one.
unvote, vote: nai
oh no
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 am

Post by Zindaras »

kirbyphreak wrote:i dont think the mafia would have the vig. giving them 2 NKs a night is absurd. Unless, of course, the vig is their only NK. I dont know.
The Mafia is determined randomly. So, hypothetically, it is possible for it to contain the vig, the doc and the cop.
ShadowLurker wrote:I don't see right now how you guys speculating on roles is helping the town. It may help out when someone claims it but right now, it's just giving scum potential ideas on which roles may be the best and which ones they should try to off first =\
The scum doesn't know who's what role.
help im a bug
help im a bug
Goon
help im a bug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:47 am

Post by help im a bug »

Zindaras wrote:
ShadowLurker wrote:I don't see right now how you guys speculating on roles is helping the town. It may help out when someone claims it but right now, it's just giving scum potential ideas on which roles may be the best and which ones they should try to off first =\
The scum doesn't know who's what role.
I don't see how your comment is relevant?
oh no
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:54 am

Post by Zindaras »

help im a bug wrote:I don't see how your comment is relevant?
If the scum doesn't know who's what role, then they can't pick off the most powerful players either.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 am

Post by Twomz »

The scum knows what roles are out there, but they don't know who has what role.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
M4yhem
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 am

Post by M4yhem »

Shadowlurker; unless we start wondering who has what role, I don't see how ideal speculation can hurt the town.

Help, is there any reason for that vote on Nai? Or is it to early for reasons?

Do you think we should consider the geneologist a threat to the town?
I think any role could be bastardised. Pariah just needs to make sure that the role no longer does what it's supposed to. We might even see vanilla villagers who can't vote.
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:15 am

Post by Bogre »

FOS Shadowlurker

Role speculation is not anti-town in this game. Trying to speculate about -who- has which role very well might be at this point.

But take this hypothetical situation: Player A is the genealogist, B is the bastard patrol, C is a vanilla.

C pressures A, believing him to be scum. After the day ends with say another lynch, A bastardizes C. B investigates C the next night, finding out he's been bastardized.

Then he can use that knowledge. Say that A is scum, player C has a lot more information about it. Say C is townie. He claims day four at LYLO, and is counterclaimed by an evil scum. C can use his knowledge about the probability of A being who he says he is to help the town.

And especially trying to figure out what bastardization entails...that is gonna be a big part of this game IMO.
Show
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:26 am

Post by ShadowLurker »

Bogre wrote:
FOS Shadowlurker

Role speculation is not anti-town in this game. Trying to speculate about -who- has which role very well might be at this point.
I think I'm going to
Unvote
and
Vote: Bogre
. If claims are definitely anti town, then how the heck would speculating who has what role not be anti town?
Bogre wrote: But take this hypothetical situation: Player A is the genealogist, B is the bastard patrol, C is a vanilla.

C pressures A, believing him to be scum. After the day ends with say another lynch, A bastardizes C. B investigates C the next night, finding out he's been bastardized.

Then he can use that knowledge. Say that A is scum, player C has a lot more information about it. Say C is townie. He claims day four at LYLO, and is counterclaimed by an evil scum. C can use his knowledge about the probability of A being who he says he is to help the town.

And especially trying to figure out what bastardization entails...that is gonna be a big part of this game IMO.
Umm.. C wouldn't know he's been bastardized, would he? And also, he could've been bastardized from the beginning of the game. Also, A can also unbastardize people. You just picked a very specific case out of mililons. How do you even know Day 4 will be LYLO? I think you made this post merely to confuse people.
Pariah
Pariah
Goon
Pariah
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 am

Post by Pariah »

Vote Count

Zindaras: (2)
Twomz, Fritzler
Bogre: (2)
Bethelmark, Shadowlurker
Kirbyphreak: (2)
Bogre, Nai
Nai: (2)
Kirbyphreak, help im a bug
Twomz: (1)
Chamber
Shadowlurker: (1)
themanhimself
Fritzler: (1)
Zindaras

7 to lynch.
Tales of Monkey Island - made by the guys who brought back Sam and Max!

Surely, PariahKing is a good, nice and kind man and would not mess with us in such a way. - Zindaras
help im a bug
help im a bug
Goon
help im a bug
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Post by help im a bug »

ShadowLurker wrote:
Bogre wrote:
FOS Shadowlurker

I think I'm going to
Unvote
and
Vote: Bogre
. If claims are definitely anti town, then how the heck would speculating who has what role not be anti town?
Uh... either you misread what he said, or you're misrepresenting it, I think.
oh no
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:27 pm

Post by Bogre »

Shadowlurker...did you even read my post? You completely misconstrued the first part. (Reading back, I did make a mistake in my example, its supposed to be B uses his knowledge, not C. yeah, correct on that point, thanks for pointing it out.)

Proper hypothetical situation revised to remove confusion:

-----------------------------------------------------
Player A is the genealogist, B is the bastard patrol, C is a vanilla.

Then he can use that knowledge. Say that A is scum, player C has a lot more information about it. Say C is townie. He claims day four at LYLO, and is counterclaimed by an evil scum. B can use his knowledge about the probability of A being who he says he is to help the town.
---------------------------------------------------

And yes, Shadowlurker, that knowledge is not sound. There are plenty of stuff that can get in the way or confuse. But thats the case with any kind of intuitive guessing a player makes in Mafia games. But -combined- with reading the game, analyzing posts and votes, and everything else, it could be very useful.

Speculating about the roles -functions- is not anti-town. You're trying to say I outright contradicted myself in two sentences, when I didn't. I said speculating -who- the roles belong to is antitown. Not their function.

Your OMGUS looks pretty scummy to me, by the way. Maybe you misread my post. Possible. Thats why I don't have a vote sitting on you right now. But if you continue to support your reasons for voting me after reading this post, I'll know where to put it because those reasons are very wrong.
Show
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Nai
Nai
Executor of the Dead
Nai
Executor of the Dead
Executor of the Dead

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Nai »

Unvote, Vote: Help I'm A Bug
for the vote with no reason. Otherwise known as OMGUS vote in most cases. Apparently, saying that counterclaiming is useful is scummy.

I also don't think that speculation on role workings is scummy. As it's been said before, more information can only help the town. True, revealing who is who is decidedly not helpful. But speculation does help the town in every instance of the word.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:54 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

Ugh, I read this quote:
Bogre wrote:Trying to speculate about -who- has which role very well might be at this point.
As saying that we should speculate who has which role to help us.

That's why I voted you. Since I obviously read that wrong, I'm going to
Unvote
and wait for other people to talk so I can see who I should stick it on
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:38 pm

Post by Twomz »

LOL, Counterclaiming vanilla townies :P.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”