Mercatores - week 8

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Mercatores - week 8

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Mercatores

Week 8 started

People can still join this game, either by replacing someone or starting as a new player. Post in this topic if you want to join, but read the rules first.

Data

Resource values

Costs of offices

Player's resources at the beginning of the week:

-
Logicticus
: 19930 coins,
-10 grain

-
Cogito Ergo Sum
: 28040 coins,
-2 grain

-
bird1111
: 12191 coins, 4 grain
-
Mad Jackal
: 23260 coins
-
sprontalic
: 1070 coins, 2 grain, 6 marble, 1 olive oil, 1 slave
-
HackerHuck
: 15684 coins,
-8 grain

-
Sailor Jerry
: 12749 coins,
-1 grain

-
geraintm
: 9960 coins,
-2 grain

-
Leptopus
: 9214 coins, 6 grain

-
Raffles
:

-
Shanba
: 2940 coins, 2 grain, 5 iron,

Offices

-Logicticus: Roma lvl1, Gallia lvl1, 20 capacity
-Cogito Ergo Sum: Roma lvl2, Alpes lvl2, 24 capacity
-bird1111: Roma lvl3, Germania lvl3, 28 capacity
-Mad Jackal: Roma lvl2, Hispania lvl3, Asia lvl2, Dalmatia lvl2 50 capacity
-sprontalic: Roma lvl4, Graeca lvl4, 32 capacity
-HackerHuck: Roma lvl1, Africa lvl1, 20 capacity

-Sailor Jerry: Roma lvl1, Britannia lvl2, 22 capacity

-geraintm: Roma lvl1, Arabia lvl1, 20 capacity

-Leptopus: Roma lvl2, Dalmatia lvl2, 24 capacity

-Raffles: Roma lvl3, 14 capacity

-Shanba: Roma lvl1, Aegyptus lvl2, 22 capacity

Myth Power's this week

Myth powers currently in effect: none

-Jupiter --> Might, 1000 coins: other players can only trade with you, not with each other.
-Juno --> Rage, 1000 coins, 10 iron: Every office in Roma will drop one level, except: your office, any office that is level 1, and any office that is higher than level 5.
-Mars --> Riot, 1000 coins, 1 timber, 3 grain, 2 iron: choose one province, all trading offices drop one level unless they are the highest or lowest level.
-Apollo --> Speed, 2 olive oil: After your selling phase you can start at your buying phase once again.
-Minerva --> Summon Sphinx, 100 coins, 10 bricks: All offices in Aegyptus drop one level, unless they are level 1 or higher than level 8. All values in Aegyptus are decreased by 10%.
-Venus --> Luxury, 5000 coins, 1 olive oil: Wine and more expensive goods (table 2) are increased in value by 10% in Roma.
-Neptunus --> Rough Sea, 4 iron: Players can only trade with you, not with each other. (lasts 2 weeks)
-Pluto --> Plague, 10000 coins: Choose one province. This province will not buy or sell. (lasts 2 weeks)
-Ceres --> Famine, 2 slaves: Everybody except you needs three times as much grain for maintenance as normal.
-Dionysus --> Good wine year, 1 spices: All values of wine will be increased by 50%.
-Mercurius --> Blackmail, 20000 coins, 5 slaves: choose one player, you get 1 of his most valuable merchandise.

Rules

In this game you play the role of a Roman mercenary. It is set in the ancient Roman Empire, which stretched from Britain to Persia. Trading is the most important aspect of this game. You start with an office in Rome, and enough materials to build one in any of the Roman provinces. The goal of the game is to become as rich as possible. You do so by trading merchandise to the citizens in the provinces, the citizens in rome, and the other players. In the tables in this post you can see the values of each merchandise in each province. You can perform different actions of trade. You have to bold them, or I won't count them.

-
Buy <number> <name of merchandise> from <province>
: post this to buy from a province in which you have an office. Example:
Buy 2 grain from Aegyptus

-
Trade <number> <merchandise> for <number> <merchandise> with <player>
: post this to trade with other players. For example, if you want to give timber to me and recieve money from me:
Trade 1 timber for 85 coins with Lawrencelot

-
Accept trade <trade number>
: you have to post this when someone wants to trade with you and you accept the trade. This is to prevent someone from trading with you while you don't want it. The trade number is the post number in which the other player wanted to trade. Each post has a post number.
-
Refuse trade <trade number>
: if someone performs the trade action with you while you didn't agree to the trade, you can post this. You don't need to, however, because I only count the trades that are accepted.
-
Cancel trade <trade number>
: this is the same as the refuse trade action, but you refuse a trade you suggested yourself. If you change your mind and don't want to trade anymore use this action.
-
Sell <number> <name of merchandise> to <province>
: post this to sell to a province in which you have an office. Example:
Sell 2 grain to Roma

-
Lend <amount of coins> to <player> for <interest + time period>
: you can lend money to a player if they are low on cash. You can choose the interest yourself for example 10% or 100 coins, but be sure to set the amount of time the player has to return the loan. Example:
Lend 10000 coins to Lawrencelot for 5% interest over 4 weeks.

-
Accept loan <loan number>
: if you agree to the loan a player offers you, you accept with this action. During this action the other player transfers his money to you. If you don't return the interest things could go really wrong with your business. The loan number is the post number of the post in which the player offers a loan.
-
Build office in <province>
: post this to build an office in a province in which you didn't have an office yet. You can only build an office in a province that doesn't have more offices than an other province. The current cost to build a new office is 15000 coins.
-
Upgrade office in <province>
: your offices have a level, you start with lvl1. When you improve your office, they will be better protected and have a higher capacity. You can see the costs and benefits in the tables.
-
Offer to <roman god>
: sometimes the roman gods can help you in various ways, also known as myth power. You need to offer goods to their temples, however. Their temples might ask for any kind of merchandise. When you offer to a roman god they will immediately perform a myth power, which will last untill the week has ended (unless stated otherwise), so you can't 'save' myth powers for later. What kind of myth power they will perform you can see above. The myth powers change every week.

For the names of provinces you can use the english names too, or you may use abbreviations or whatever, as long as I understand it. But be sure to bold every action.

The game is based on realtime weeks. Every week I will update, so that you know how many resources you have (keep track on them yourself too). The actions you perform each week need to be performed at a certain order. At the beginning of the week you can buy from provinces in which you have an office. After you bought, you can trade with people who are also done with the buying part, but you can talk about trading during the whole week. Remember that the other player has to accept the trade. After trading you can sell to provinces in which you have an office. I will end the week every weekend (between friday and sunday, which may vary).

Building and upgrading offices can be done during the whole week. The offices (actually the employees) need grain every week, so be sure to keep buying grain. When I end the week I will check if you have enough grain, or else your offices will go down levels or can't operate.

The capacity of your offices counts for all your goods, and in every province. If you buy something, it does not matter if you buy it in a province with a low-level trade office, if you have a high-level trade office somewhere else your capacity counts for the other provinces too.

Editing your posts is not allowed.

I hope I made the rules clear. Feel free to ask questions or give suggestions.

I hope you will have fun playing this game. I might change some aspects during the game, but you can just play. I have made some research to see which province traded which goods with the romans, and thinking of the right values was hard without being able to test the game, so I hope they will be fair enough. Suggestions are always welcome, and questions too.
Last edited by Lawrencelot on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:22 am, edited 40 times in total.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
logicticus
logicticus
Mafia Scum
logicticus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:53 am

Post by logicticus »

ill give it a try

/in
Sailor Jerry
Sailor Jerry
Goon
Sailor Jerry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 pm

Post by Sailor Jerry »

i'm game.

/in.
M4yhem - "IH loves donking his splourney in public places. He likes it most when little old ladies and school children are nearby, because then he also show off his crot."
geraintm
geraintm
Jack of All Trades
geraintm
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:22 am

Post by geraintm »

/inn
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:17 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

/in
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Leptopus
Leptopus
Townie
Leptopus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:09 am

Post by Leptopus »

Do Trade Offers expire at the end of a week?

What happens if someone Accepts an Offer and I don't have the the goods I promised? Is the Trade just null, or is there a game rule penalty? This could happen either because I made a bad offer, or because I sold something I had offered after I made the offer.

Should there be a
Cancel Trade
option, to allow me to take back an offer than has not yet been accepted?
Clueless Newbie
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:22 am

Post by bird1111 »

/in
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:03 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Leptopus wrote:Do Trade Offers expire at the end of a week?

What happens if someone Accepts an Offer and I don't have the the goods I promised? Is the Trade just null, or is there a game rule penalty? This could happen either because I made a bad offer, or because I sold something I had offered after I made the offer.

Should there be a
Cancel Trade
option, to allow me to take back an offer than has not yet been accepted?
If someone accepts a trade which can't be performed, because of a wrong amount of goods or not enough capacity, then I will just not count the trade, but there will be no penalty. And if you perform the trade action but you don't want it anymore, you just have to hope that the other player doesn't accept, or that he refuses. Are you in this game btw Leptopus?
Sailor Jerry
Sailor Jerry
Goon
Sailor Jerry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:32 am

Post by Sailor Jerry »

I don't want to be a Max about it, but I
really
think that a "Withdraw Trade" option is a much better idea than that proposal...
M4yhem - "IH loves donking his splourney in public places. He likes it most when little old ladies and school children are nearby, because then he also show off his crot."
Leptopus
Leptopus
Townie
Leptopus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:27 am

Post by Leptopus »

Sure, I'll be /in.
Clueless Newbie
Mad Jackal
Mad Jackal
Goon
Mad Jackal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:16 am

Post by Mad Jackal »

I too shall try to earn my fortunes. This looks interesting.

/in

How much money / what goods do we start with? If anything?

Is the cost to build a trade office upgrade just from the previous level or is that total to build from scratch?

And, does the listed capacity refect total space (all goods) or just per item ?
Either you are part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. You can form two lines to make it easier for me, or I'll figure it out on my own. It is your call.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:49 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Sailor Jerry wrote: I don't want to be a Max about it, but I really think that a "Withdraw Trade" option is a much better idea than that proposal...
I have added the accept action to make sure both players that trade with each other actually want the trade. You first talk about the trade without performing any actions, and when you have come to an agreement one player performs the trade action and the other the accept action. But if you two feel more comfortable with a cancel action, I will add it, but don't use it too much because it could confuse me when everybody does it.
Mad Jackal wrote: I too shall try to earn my fortunes. This looks interesting.

/in

How much money / what goods do we start with? If anything?

Is the cost to build a trade office upgrade just from the previous level or is that total to build from scratch?

And, does the listed capacity refect total space (all goods) or just per item ?
You start with 10000 coins and no goods. When you build a trade office it will be lvl 1 (that's why theres no cost to upgrade to lvl1), so the table with the costs upgrade are what you have to pay when you upgrade to a certain level. The capacity counts for all goods, so for example if you have 20 capacity and you already have 10 grain and 10 gold you can't buy anything.

However, I have not simulated this game, this will be the first time for me to see if it works out, I hope it does and I hope the values are good to play with. If they aren't, I might still change them during the game, but not without notice.
Mad Jackal
Mad Jackal
Goon
Mad Jackal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:36 am

Post by Mad Jackal »

Lawrencelot wrote: You start with 10000 coins and no goods. When you build a trade office it will be lvl 1 (that's why theres no cost to upgrade to lvl1), so the table with the costs upgrade are what you have to pay when you upgrade to a certain level. The capacity counts for all goods, so for example if you have 20 capacity and you already have 10 grain and 10 gold you can't buy anything.

However, I have not simulated this game, this will be the first time for me to see if it works out, I hope it does and I hope the values are good to play with. If they aren't, I might still change them during the game, but not without notice.
10000 coins will be interesting. I think that leaves all the provinces plenty of options.

Ok. there is no cost to upgrade to level 1, but what is the cost to build a level one ? ( I see the order to build one, but no coast attached. I also am not sure about the ability to place free ones.) And should there be a limit on how many can be built by a player per week ?

And, when you say cost to upgrade to a level 3 (for example), do you mean to a level 3 from a level 1 or from a level 2?

I have no problem with capacity= total capacity, I just wanted to be sure.

I also understand about the untested nature of the game, and can appreciate that fact. I think it has serious potential and I'm trying to find any problems/ questions ahead of time so play isn't halted once it gets going. (As much as possible.)
Either you are part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. You can form two lines to make it easier for me, or I'll figure it out on my own. It is your call.
sprontalic
sprontalic
Goon
sprontalic
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:10 pm

Post by sprontalic »

/in as well

Also what do you mean by "better protected"? Is this against things like thievery that can happen etc?

Also if you have say 2 offices, a level 2 and a level 1, does this mean my total capacity is 22?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Post by Raffles »

/in
Woof!
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Post by Raffles »

Can you upgrade an office multiple levels a week?

Independednt of the last question, is the upgrade resources cumulutive or one-off?
(i.e. from going from level 1 to 3, is it 7 timbers or 5timbers? Going from level 2 to 3, is it 5 timbers or 3 timbers?)

(Can I shotgun Asia? I'm a Jap...)
Woof!
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Mad Jackal wrote:10000 coins will be interesting. I think that leaves all the provinces plenty of options.

Ok. there is no cost to upgrade to level 1, but what is the cost to build a level one ? ( I see the order to build one, but no coast attached. I also am not sure about the ability to place free ones.) And should there be a limit on how many can be built by a player per week ?

And, when you say cost to upgrade to a level 3 (for example), do you mean to a level 3 from a level 1 or from a level 2?

I have no problem with capacity= total capacity, I just wanted to be sure.

I also understand about the untested nature of the game, and can appreciate that fact. I think it has serious potential and I'm trying to find any problems/ questions ahead of time so play isn't halted once it gets going. (As much as possible.)
I wanted to add the cost to build a new office later, but then I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I think 15000coins would do well, it's more than the money you start with so that it will take some time before you can build an office again. Btw, every thing I say here I will add to the first page aswell, so tell me if something is not on the first page.
You can build an office in every province that doesn't have more provinces than an other province. So every province will have the same amount of offices, or the difference is one. Roma is an exception (when I say province, I mean every area except Roma).
You can upgrade every office once per week, so you can't go from level 1 to level 4 for examle. Building offices does not have limitations.

Thank you for finding rules that are less clear, and things I forgot. It's better indeed that these questions are asked now instead of during the game.
sprontalic wrote:Also what do you mean by "better protected"? Is this against things like thievery that can happen etc?

Also if you have say 2 offices, a level 2 and a level 1, does this mean my total capacity is 22?
The protection will be needed against the myth powers, which I will include when the game is running at a normal speed. You can offer goods to the Roman goods to destroy other's players material, or protect yourself. In the first week this is not included, I will tell you when I add this feature.

Your right about the capacity thing.
Raffles wrote:Can you upgrade an office multiple levels a week?

Independednt of the last question, is the upgrade resources cumulutive or one-off?
(i.e. from going from level 1 to 3, is it 7 timbers or 5timbers? Going from level 2 to 3, is it 5 timbers or 3 timbers?)

(Can I shotgun Asia? I'm a Jap...)
You can upgrade every office once per week.
The cost to upgrade counts for upgrading towards a certain level, that's why the costs for upgrading to level 1 are zero. Going from 2 to 3 costs 5 timber 5 bricks for example.

More questions are welcome, better ask now than during the game!
Leptopus
Leptopus
Townie
Leptopus
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:31 am

Post by Leptopus »

On the
Offer to <roman god>
thing: Am I correct in understanding that this can only be done
after
a roman god makes a request for some specific good? And that it is then first come, first served?
Clueless Newbie
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:29 am

Post by Raffles »

Isn't it a good idea to numerically code each trade? So instead of

It should be
Raffles:
Trade No. 231: 1 timber for 85 coins with Lawrencelot

So that the other trader can
Lawrencelot:
Trade No. 231: Accepted
Woof!
Shanba
Shanba
So win
Shanba
So win
So win

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:34 am

Post by Shanba »

Hmm, this looks fun
Im in.
(10:50:24 PM) xcaykex: GODDAMNIT I DONT WANNA GET RID OF MY TENTACLE RAPE PORN

Ribbit.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:21 am

Post by HackerHuck »

/in
bird1111
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
bird1111
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am

Post by bird1111 »

Gone until sometime Sunday
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:25 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

On the Offer to <roman god> thing: Am I correct in understanding that this can only be done after a roman god makes a request for some specific good? And that it is then first come, first served?
You're right, but it will become clear when I post the data of the myth powers. But this option is not available in the beginning of the game, I will add it when the game is running smoothly. There will be 11 gods by the way, with their own power for each week.
Isn't it a good idea to numerically code each trade? So instead of

It should be
Raffles: Trade No. 231: 1 timber for 85 coins with Lawrencelot

So that the other trader can
Lawrencelot: Trade No. 231: Accepted
This is already the case, because each post already has a code of it's own. To the left of the 'quote'-button, it says post subject: with a number. This number is the trade number.

Alright, we have 11 participants! The confirm section starts now, you confirm and you say which province you want. First come, first served, so sorry bird1111 that the confirm section starts when you're gone, however I still doubt you will be the last one to confirm.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 am

Post by Raffles »

/confirm, and I'll nab the biggest region, Asia. Bwahaha
Woof!
Sailor Jerry
Sailor Jerry
Goon
Sailor Jerry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:40 am

Post by Sailor Jerry »

/crnofrim :/

Britannia ftw pls!

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”