Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #700 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:09 am

Post by Thesp »

Satisfied Daycycle 5 Tallying of Troubleshooters

Chaotic_diablo
- 1 (The Fonz)
Mr. Flay
- 3 (chaotic_diablo, The Central Scrutinizer, killajay, )

Not Voting
- 1 (Mr. Flay)

Congratulations, troubleshooters! The Computer has not yet been overrun by enemies of the Computer, despite your insistence of brainscrubbing and terminating not-enemies of the Computer! Mr. Flay has been brainscrubbed and terminated.

Nightcycle 5 begins.
Please have all nightactions to me ASAP.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #701 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:27 am

Post by Thesp »

Congratulations, Troubleshooters! I am pleased to announce that victory conditions have been met, and the mission is complete! It is only a minor inconvenience that
Communists and enemies of the computer
are the ones who have achieved their victory condition.

The Fonz has been killed.
The Central Scrutinizer has been endgamed.

Communists and enemies of the Computer have won!
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #702 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:29 am

Post by Thesp »

Wow. What a game. I will post role PMs and notes tonight. I'm interested to hear what your thoughts on the game were - what you think worked, what didn't work, etc. I'll be happy to answer any and all questions.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #703 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:49 am

Post by The Fonz »

That confuses me. If both killa and CD were scum, why did they not win when flay was lynched? That puts it at 2-2, there should have been no need to go to night. But it can't be the case that only one is, since then there'd be two town alive and the game would still be going?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #704 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

It sounds like there was some sort of multi-faction scum... I look forward to Thesp's breakdown.

:evil: --> killajay - you were WAY too transparent in pushing for those lynches. Any sensible town would have nuked your @ss.
Retired as of October 2014.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #705 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:07 am

Post by Thesp »

The Fonz wrote:That confuses me. If both killa and CD were scum, why did they not win when flay was lynched? That puts it at 2-2, there should have been no need to go to night. But it can't be the case that only one is, since then there'd be two town alive and the game would still be going?
I took a careful look at the scum PM, and it said they win when Communists
outnumber
the town, or nothing can prevent the same. However, when they nightkilled, TCS could theoretically redirect it to someone else (or back upon the sender), so if he'd picked the right person who sent the kill and who was being killed, mafia might have killed themself. Had I worded their win condition better, I would have done the 50% rule. (There are a couple of things I'd do differently next time, but I want to hear your thoughts.)

The roles were designed largely to be potentially vaguely useful (with one or two quite useful roles). One person revived if lynched and nightkilled (theoretically possible, if you voted to lynch him after he'd been killed). One person got everyone's roles on N5 (not N4!), which I never thought would happen. TCS was a redirector that had to correctly predict the targetter
and
the targettee to have any effect. One player had two lives. One player was informed if he was ever successfully targetted (though all but one successful targetting roles would kill him), but potentially useful in outing a fake claim. Mr. Flay was a naive investigator who could discover mutations. One role (Peter Venkman) didn't have
any
power, ability or secret society whatsoever. The true power role in the town could kill a person by choosing them
and
naming their secret society correctly (and he wisely chose "Communist" for the SS each time he had the chance). Mafia's roles weren't much better - one would polymorph into a bunny every night (did nothing), one could investigate a person to determine whether they were happy or not (living players were happy, dead players were not happy), and one could "die" for a fixed amount of time, only to come back again later (potentially useful to surprise the town if they would otherwise be at LYLO). The SK (Sefer) could nightkill once in the game, but could vote as often as he liked, though everyone would be warned a mutant power was used. (There were safeguards to keep him from simply turbo-voting at the beginning of every day to win the game like that, but otherwise would be quite a surprise at the endgame.)

I did throw a lot of useless information out there (the secret societies, the Troubleshooter jobs, etc.) which was designed to be extraneous, and potentially useful to the scum to distract the town. Unfortunately, the scum just lurked the whole frickin' game. I don't know if that was a result of the setup, result of players, or what, but I'd love feedback.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #706 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:14 am

Post by The Fonz »

What did TCS do the last night?
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #707 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:19 am

Post by Thesp »

The Fonz-->TCS-->The Fonz (if you were to choose him for a nightaction, it would be redirected to you)

I'll get everyone's choices up tonight as well when I'm at the PC that has them all.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #708 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:47 am

Post by Battle Mage »

wow, s**t, i dont think i ever expected us to win that. In fact, when it was me and Coron, i felt it was more a case of trying to prolong our defeat. :o
I cant say ive kept up with the game after i replaced out, but the result speaks for itself. Great work by Killajay and Chaotic Diablo!

BM
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #709 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:07 am

Post by The Fonz »

Thesp wrote:The Fonz-->TCS-->The Fonz (if you were to choose him for a nightaction, it would be redirected to you)

I'll get everyone's choices up tonight as well when I'm at the PC that has them all.
TCS thought
I
was scum!? :shock:
The Central Scrutinizer
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
The Central Scrutinizer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #710 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 am

Post by The Central Scrutinizer »

I'm sorry, I just thought killajay was entirely too obvious. I thought that either you or Flay was completely snowing us, and that there was only one scum remaining.

Had I thought there were multiple scum alive, I would have lynched killajay. Sorry.

Thesp, I thought that since the setup was a little closed and confusing, with relatively weak power roels, that 3 scum were more likely.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't
possibly
comment."
dahen
dahen
Goon
dahen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #711 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Post by dahen »

Oh, I'm looking forward to the setup and results.
dahen PM wrote:Little does The Computer know that you are one of the members of the Sierra Club secret society
Wiki wrote: Sierra Club (referred to as Seal Club in some editions): The computer restricts leaving Alpha Complex to green clearance and above, and then only for good reasons. So, aside from Troubleshooters who may be sent into the great outdoors, almost no one in Alpha Complex has seen so much as a blade of grass. This great mystique has led to the formation of the Sierra Club, devoted to sneaking out. Some want to escape forever, others try to bring the wonders of nature to the less fortunate inside.
By being replaced, didn't I achieve the mission of escaping forever?
Ok, maybe not.
PlaysWithSquirrels
PlaysWithSquirrels
Goon
PlaysWithSquirrels
Goon
Goon

Post Post #712 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Post by PlaysWithSquirrels »

You did a good job of thoroughly confusing me.

I'm peeved that I was lynched so unceremoniously and that after killing two scum on day one we couldn't pull out a win.
Oh hai.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #713 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:47 pm

Post by The Fonz »

My thinking there was that your refusal to reveal security clearance/society membership etc made you likely scum, since I knew that that information in my own PM was not game-relevant. Since you didn't appear to know that, my impression was that you were scum who didn't know that the town society memberships, etc, were unrelated to role (since the scum ones undoubtedly were role-related, the society being communists and all).
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #714 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:23 pm

Post by Thesp »

Note that Secret Societies are almost entirely unnecessary (except for the Communist tie). Here are the role PMs.

Player 1 Role PM – M4yhem

Mod Notes: SK with weak abilities (only one nightkill?), but powerful endgame, needing only to survive until there, where he essentially auto-wins.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are M4-U-HEM-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Please remember that your clearance level is Ultraviolet, which carries all the rights and restrictions appertaining thereunto.

Little does The Computer know that you are actually a mutant! Your mutation is
Machine Empathy
Warning! Warning! This mutant power is REALLY treasonous!
There is no chance you'd
ever
be allowed to survive if ever it was known you had this power! That's why...The Computer must die. Unfortunately, all those nitwits are trying to get in good with The Computer will get in your way, so they have to die, too. Once in the game, during a Nightcycle, you may select a player to eliminate. You will attempt to vaporize that player during that Nightcycle.

You can also use your mutant power to manipulate your limitations on votes on any day. You may vote as often as you like. Be careful, though, as The Computer is ever watchful for your power, and it may alert others to its use.

You win if and only if you are the last player alive, or nothing can prevent the same.

Stay alert! Keep your laser handy! Trust no one!

Player 2 Role PM - Coron

Mod Notes: Ability would discover "happy" if used on a living player, and "unhappy" if used on a dead player. I included some useless roles like this to hint at the flavor of townie roles to the scum, and so claiming a worthless role doesn't make them auto-town.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are COR-I-N-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Please remember that your clearance level is
Indigo
, which carries all the rights and restrictions appertaining thereunto.

Little does The Computer know that you are one of the members of the
Communist
sercet society trying to bring down The Computer! You and your fellow members
StevieT92
and
DiamondHawk
seek the downfall of The Computer, and to do so, must eliminate the other namby-pamby suck-up Troubleshooters who would defend The Computer for their own personal gain. Each Nightcycle, you and your fellow Communist members may comunicate with each other via PM, and collectively select one of your members to vaporize another Troubleshooter in the game, eliminating them.
You may also communicate via PM for the entirety of Daycycle 1. No PM comunication is allowed on later Daycycles.

Fortunately for you, you are also a
mutant
, with the power of
Empathy
. Each Nightcycle, you may select another Troubleshooter in the game, living or dead. You will discover if that player is Happy or Unhappy.

You win if and only if there are more Communists in the game than non-Communists, or nothing can prevent the same.

Player 3 Role PM – StevieT92

Mod Notes: Potentially useful in an endgame situation, and timed well, though it's difficult to predict it.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are STEV-O-T9-2, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Orange

Communist
Coron
and
DiamondHawk
seek the downfall of The Computer, and to do so, must eliminate the other namby-pamby suck-up Troubleshooters who would defend The Computer for their own personal gain. Each Nightcycle, you and your fellow Communist members may comunicate with each other via PM, and collectively select one of your members to vaporize another Troubleshooter in the game, eliminating them.
You may also communicate via PM for the entirety of Daycycle 1. No PM comunication is allowed on later Daycycles.

mutant
, with the power of
Death Simulation
. At night, you may elect to simulate death for a finite length of time. Select the day on which you would like to revive. You will appear as dead until that time. If you are killed on the same night you elect to use this ability, you will feign death instead.

You win if and only if there are more Communists in the game than non-Communists, or nothing can prevent the same.

Player 4 Role PM - DiamondHawk

Mod Notes: Ability does nothing functionally.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are DIAMOND-R-AWK-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Red

Communist
Coron
and
StevieT92

mutant
, with the power of
Polymorphism
. Each night, you will polymorph into a bunny.

Player 5 Role PM - Sarcastro

Mod Notes: Ignores first kill (lynch or nightkill).
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are SA-R-CASTRO-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Red

Illuminati
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Absorption
. You will ignore the first kill attempt against you.

You win if and only if all immediate threats to the Computer have been eliminated.

Player 6 Role PM – Cogito Ergo Sum

Mod Notes: Always gets "not a mutant" for result. (naive)
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are COGITO-V-SUM-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Violet

Anti-Mutants
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Detect Mutant Power
. Each Nightcycle, you may select another Troubleshooter, and I will tell you if that Troubleshooter has a mutant power.

You win if and only if all immediate threats to the Computer have been eliminated.

Player 7 Role PM - Mojo

Mod Notes: Must get targetter and targettee right to redirect - unlikely to affect outcome, but potentially very useful.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are MO-B-O-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Blue

Illuminati
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Puppeteer
. Each Nightcycle, you may select another Troubleshooter. If you can predict whom that Troubleshooter targets, you may change that Troubleshooter's target. Please submit nightcyclechoices with the following format:

<Troubleshooter A> - <Troubleshooter B (Whom you think Troubleshooter A will target)> - <Troubleshooter C (Whom Troubleshooter A will actually target instead of Troubleshooter B, if indeed Troubleshooter A is targetting Troubleshooter B)>

Player 8 Role PM - dahen

Mod Notes: I personally enjoyed this role tremendously, as I think it really captured the feel of
Paranoia
more than any other role.

Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are DA-G-EN-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Green

Sierra Club
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Regeneration
. If you are lynched and nightkilled, you will return to life.

Player 9 Role PM - stark

Mod Notes: I didn't expect this to end up being useful - he'd discover everything on N5 (not N4 as he claimed!). It ended up being nearly useful.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are STA-G-K-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Green

Psion
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Uncanny Luck
. Since 5 has always been your lucky number, on Nightcycle 5, you will discover every player's role and alignment.

Player 10 Role PM - Barromán

Mod Notes: Likely useless - only could confirm a few roles.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are BARR-Y-MANILOW-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Yellow

Computer Phreaks
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Hypersenses
. You will be able to detect during Nightcycles if another Troubleshooter has succesfully targetted you.

Player 11 Role PM - PlaysWithSquirrels

Mod Notes: Most useful role in game - effectively a cop-vig. Note that SK is immune to this.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are PLS-WITHSQUIRRELS-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Please remember that your clearance level is Infrared, which carries all the rights and restrictions appertaining thereunto.

Death Leopard
secret society, with a
mutant
power of
Mental Blast
. Each Nightcycle you may select a Troubleshooter and name a secret society. If that Troubleshooter is a member of the named secret society, that player will be brainscrubbed, then executed by Internal Security.

Player 12 Role PM – Maz Medias

Mod Notes: I had forgotten to include the win condition on this PM - hence part of PV's frustration (though I PM'ed it to him when he asked about it). This role was the only one that was a "true townie", without SS or mutant power.
Greetings, Troubleshooter! You are MAZ-MEDS-1, and your friend The Computer has chosen you for a very important mission! You were carefully selected for this mission based on your record, experience, overall flammability, and the rhyming potential of your name. Internal Security has detected the presence of Traitors who seek the downfall of Alpha Complex and Friend Computer. They are clearly identified by ***CARRIER INTERRUPT PLEASE WAIT** and terminate them upon discovery. Proceed to transtube <insert link to game thread here>, confirm receipt of this message in thread and read the mission briefing. Failure to read the briefing carries a minimum penalty of a single demerit, to a maximum penalty of summary execution.

Please remember that your clearance level is Infrared, which carries all the rights and restrictions appertaining thereunto.

Reiner Knizia

your
game!
killajay
killajay
Townie
killajay
Townie
Townie

Post Post #715 (ISO) » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Post by killajay »

I came in late but had fun. I am still a n00b in mafia and thought i played well.

What did I do that was so obvious Flay?
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #716 (ISO) » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:57 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”