How To Mod - Version 2.0

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:43 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

In what sense would the mod be "rescuing" or "helping out" this player?

Are you thinking that the mod looks at the nonresponsive nonposters and thinks "hmm, this lurker will surely be lynched if he doesn't start posting, so
in order to help his side
I might replace him"?

In my mind it's like a large obnoxious party at a restaurant that never orders anything and just takes up seats. The sign says you have to order something. If the table were free I could seat somebody who would order something (we hope). I could make the other customers (maybe those coming in) pressure you to order something or leave. But it's easier and less disruptive if I do them all a favor and evict them myself.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 am

Post by Yaw »

The problem is that for serial lurkers, we don't have a great answer. Either we replace them, which solves the problem in one game but doesn't solve it overall (and leads to games with massive numbers of replacements), or we don't replace them and let their actions determine the game state (with the risk that the game descends into inactivity). I've seen the massive replacements happen, so I'm trying out the other method. It has nothing to do with helping sides in the game, it's more about whether someone who agreed to play the game and is still around to play it should be released from their contract to play. My thinking is that perhaps if they aren't, and actually have to bear the consequences of not living up to their agreement (probably involving being lynched or having their lack of participation seriously hamper their side in the game), it might actually change the behaviour and get them off their ass.

The serial lurker is a disruption no matter what -- either they're disruptive by not participating, or they're disruptive because it takes time for replacements to catch up, and replacements are hampered by what has already been done by their role. I'm just trying out the other way of dealing with lurkers, because I've seen the "dozens of replacements" route and don't like what I saw.
Success breeds suspicion
SpinWizard
SpinWizard
Townie
SpinWizard
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed May 09, 2007 7:07 am

Post by SpinWizard »

bump, this is great...can you do more on themes?
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Fri May 11, 2007 6:35 pm

Post by Guardian »

Happy this got bumped so I'd read it - I really like the post and think that if you have infinite time you can't go amiss in following its guidelines.

I've modded a number of games in scumchat in the past few weeks imho to a degree of success and one thing I would like to suggest:

Make the game and roles FUN! people don't like having a lack of flavor. Post funny/good scenes. Put work into flavor. Be creative as possible. Have fun roles. This leads into:

people don't like being vanilla townies. to a lesser extent, they don't like being vanilla mafia. This may not work for everyone, but most games I host have no vanillas - and the people who would have gotten vanilla but get some power tend to like this!

A game I hosted tonight had a Miller Vigilante One Shot Day Role-name cop, who was also made a Doc by another role. When I did the death scene for that role, people laughed and complained and cried, but I think that they got some fun out of that role being in the game - and the player playing the role enjoyed being it. Mafia won the game, by the way, after one of the two mafia was lynched day one.

So yeah, make sure your games are ballanced and fair, but after that put as much power and flavor as possible.

Discuss :).
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 7:34 am

Post by Seol »

Guardian wrote:Happy this got bumped so I'd read it - I really like the post and think that if you have infinite time you can't go amiss in following its guidelines.

I've modded a number of games in scumchat in the past few weeks imho to a degree of success and one thing I would like to suggest:

Make the game and roles FUN! people don't like having a lack of flavor. Post funny/good scenes. Put work into flavor. Be creative as possible. Have fun roles. This leads into:

people don't like being vanilla townies. to a lesser extent, they don't like being vanilla mafia. This may not work for everyone, but most games I host have no vanillas - and the people who would have gotten vanilla but get some power tend to like this!

A game I hosted tonight had a Miller Vigilante One Shot Day Role-name cop, who was also made a Doc by another role. When I did the death scene for that role, people laughed and complained and cried, but I think that they got some fun out of that role being in the game - and the player playing the role enjoyed being it. Mafia won the game, by the way, after one of the two mafia was lynched day one.

So yeah, make sure your games are ballanced and fair, but after that put as much power and flavor as possible.

Discuss :).
This is more true for Scumchat than it is for forum mafia. The reason for this is the relative levels of investment means that it's more important that forum mafia is "fair".

There are many types of fair. The principle one that most people understand is balance, each side should have a reasonable chance of winning - realising at the end of the game that winning as mafia was almost impossible is galling when you've put hours of work into a game over a several-month period.

Other important issues are excessively swingy games, where a combination of nightchoices and extraneous information can lead to redux situations where for the last three days, there's literally nothing one side (
usually
the scum) can do to undermine the level of information that can lead the game. Too many power roles (and for that matter, too much flavour if it's not done quite right) can lead to such situations. This is bad because obviously, the last part of the game is effectively non-interactive, at least for some of the players.

Another issue is roles that are simply unfair - ie, the bad sort of bastard-modding. If a role doesn't work as advertised, then perfectly valid reasoning is going to be undermined. If you're going to have roles, generally speaking, don't punish people for using them.

Now, none of this is too bad on scumchat, because games take half an hour max and people won't complain you've wasted too much of their time. People get involved in forum games to a completely different level and as such designs need to be more careful. That's not to say dense games with few to no vanillas can't work, but they're harder to do.

Furthermore, there are levels of intricacy to analysing behavour in forum mafia that don't really exist in Scumchat. Put simply, there's more to being a townie in forum mafia, so being a townie doesn't mean you're disenfranchised from the game in the same way.

By not having too many power roles, you require that intricacy of behavioural analysis in the first place - and generally speaking, if it's not required, it's hardly used. In other words, dense games and sparse games play in fundamentally different ways, and people like both. Tellingly (generally speaking) the more experienced a player is, the more they prefer sparse games.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 7:37 am

Post by Simenon »

Seol wrote:Now, none of this is too bad on scumchat, because games take half an hour max and people won't complain you've wasted too much of their time. People get involved in forum games to a completely different level and as such designs need to be more careful. That's not to say dense games with few to no vanillas can't work, but they're harder to do.

This one was two freaking hours. :(
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 7:41 am

Post by Seol »

Simenon wrote:This one was two freaking hours. :(
Sad face implies that you agree with my comments re: investment. Amirite?
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Guardian
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Guardian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 8:19 am

Post by Guardian »

Seol, I read your post and I can't say I disagree with it. I'd estimate that half of my games so far (much more towards the beginning of when I started moding, which I guess is a good sign) have been too unbalanced or swingy in some way.

Having a game be balanced as you described is definitely more important as people put more and more time into the game.

Also, as a townie in a forum game, you definitely get more opportunity to analyze and don't get disenfranchised from the game in the same way.

I guess what it boils down to is that a mountainous(no power roles) game offers a different type of fun than a game packed with power roles. Maybe it does speak to my inexperience that I much prefer games with more power roles.

Regardless of the power roles (which I still think there is a case for), I definitely think that putting effort into day/night scenes and flavor in general can really add to the game.
Do not lynch me.
[wiki]Great Nibbler Takeover of 2008[/wiki]
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 8:51 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Seol wrote: Tellingly (generally speaking) the more experienced a player is, the more they prefer sparse games.
I'd like to see a broader survey before saying something like that. I might agree with, "people who frequent the Mafia Discussion forum are more likely to prefer sparse games", or "people who are more experienced like sparse games better", but I don't think it's as clear-cut as you say.

I really have no complaints about the rest of your post though, and glad to see someone who is willing to argue in favor of both types.
Retired as of October 2014.
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 10:21 am

Post by beanbagboy »

I have a question, on balance, I know a lot (Thanks to this guide) on how to tip balance towards the town with too much scum, but how do you help out the scum if there are too many powerful townies? (I'm talking about a theme game I want to make...)

Death millers, powered scum, and mafia masons are my first ideas, but are there any simpler ways?
Meh... I got distracted by something shiny, leaving MS. Possibly returnage soonfuls.
AutumnEvenings
AutumnEvenings
Goon
AutumnEvenings
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Post by AutumnEvenings »

beanbagboy wrote:I have a question, on balance, I know a lot (Thanks to this guide) on how to tip balance towards the town with too much scum, but how do you help out the scum if there are too many powerful townies? (I'm talking about a theme game I want to make...)

Death millers, powered scum, and mafia masons are my first ideas, but are there any simpler ways?
The simpliest would be to add another scum role, no?

The site which I usually play at very, very,
very
frequently uses a role that you guys call "the Traitor". Apparently, you have many variants of that role. Ours is like this: it is a player alligned with the mafia (wins when they win). The player knows who the mafia are, but the mafia do not know who the traitor is, nor if they have one (or more). The traitor comes up innocent when investigated by cops. As a disclaimer, we don't reveal roles on death (ever), and only sometimes reveal allignment (in which case, the traitor would come up as non-scum on death). Revealing the role and/or allignment of the traitor would weaken the role somewhat, though they'd know in advance and could play off that as well.

You can do additional things with that role as well. If there are 2 traitors, let them communicate off thread, for example. Or give the traitor an extra power--a doc (good for games with SKs or vigs), roleblocker, even role-cop. Fun times. :) It's still less powerful than a full-fledged mafia member, because of the risk of being nightkilled and inability to communicate with the mafia, plus it's not a killing role, so our rules reflect that in the winning conditions--basically, once all the real mafia are dead, the town wins, regardless of if the traitor's alive.

It's a
really
fun role to play--my personal favorite after vanilla townie. You basically just mislead the town as much as possible (while trying to avoid being nightkilled by the scum, who may need some time to cotton on to your role).
[color=blue][i]"They all crossed into forbidden territory. They all tampered with the laws that lay down who should be loved and how. And how much." --Arundhati Roy[/i][/color]
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Post by beanbagboy »

First off, thanks, that helps. The problem is I'm working on a specific theme and I wanted to find ways to weaken protown power roles, as I can only have a few scum roles and I want an SK or two, and I know multiple factions is better for the town. I have an interesting traitor idea in mind, now that you mention that... but you won't find out what it is until you join my game in a few months!

Traitors sound good... now how to work that in to my theme... ;)
Meh... I got distracted by something shiny, leaving MS. Possibly returnage soonfuls.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 2:12 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Traitor is the most freaking awesome role EVAR.
PurpleKoopa
PurpleKoopa
Townie
PurpleKoopa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 2:29 pm

Post by PurpleKoopa »

I have modded anything here yet, but I am planning stuff. :D So far, I think it's easier to balance by removing things rather than giving more power. Not every game should be stripped of every power role (there are some games like that, but of course not every game should be that way), I'm saying that it's a lot easier to balance when the game isn't filled to the brim with special stuff.
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 3:32 pm

Post by beanbagboy »

Yeah, I see. I'm thinking of putting in enablers and something like a beloved princess, death millers, etc.

Offtopic, PK, you used to go on the IQD forum, didn't you?
beanbagboy
beanbagboy
Goon
beanbagboy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Post by beanbagboy »

Oh, wait, GL said it himsylph! Odd-even night powerroles! Derrrr...
death_omen
death_omen
Goon
death_omen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Post by death_omen »

Wow thanks for this guide its awesome. Ill be sure to use this guide as a reference when I come to mod my first game in a couple of months =D.
The journey to your destination is often much more important than the destination itself.
-DO

Ps. God, I'm so wise some times.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:01 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Yeehee I'm a mafia godfather in the example.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Gets To Kill All Spammers
Andycyca

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Post by Andycyca »

I'm working on the Wiki version of this guide. Feel free to improve!

GL's guide to Modding
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat
Peers
Peers
Goon
Peers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:49 am

Post by Peers »

As someone who is about nine days away from being eligible to mod something small here, I thank you for the well-written post with some very good advice.

Based on modding on other sites, I highly recommend getting an account with Google Apps. You can set up a spreadsheet to handle role assignment (Let's hear it for a randomize function!) and voting/night action history, and a text document to hold your role PMs. Plus, it lets you effectively mod from multiple computers if you're the kind to pop on during your lunch break at work, from home, from a college library, etc.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:28 am

Post by pablito »

I will second the Google Apps stuff.

In Ultimatum, my co-mod and I used it to communicate when we did prods and to update vote counts. Google Apps allows one to share editing of a project with others that have a google account. Plus, I can imagine it could help as an archive in case a mod leaves and someone has to get all the backup info.
Sup, later.
Andycyca
Andycyca
Andycyca

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Post by Andycyca »

It is indeed a great idea (in my school, we all work in the same document at a time for 4 times faster editing) and it's great for co-modding, but as always, it should be only between the two co-mods.

I mean, I can't mod yet, but when I can, I won't be giving away my gmail to everyone, only to my co-mod. The only downside of this is that Google services are not as widely known as they should be (I mean, Mail, Text processing, spreadsheets, blogging, video, feed management and all of that with only ONE account? Cool 8) )
Planning: Katamari Damacy Mafia - Less than 50% done!

BTRAF 6 coming to a Mafia Forum near you. Now with 50% less chlorine! Bring your tin foil hat

Return to “Mafia Discussion”