Mini 518: Underground Mafia, The Nightmare is Over!

Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:53 am

Post by Jitsu »

Miztef wrote:We do need a fourth vote sometime soon, or someone to slip up badly. (preferably scum)
I agree.

At this point, it seems more likely that the former will occur than the latter. No reason for the scum to overreact yet.

If nobody else votes, I will soon, but I'd like to hear from some of the other players who haven't said much yet.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:00 am

Post by Korlash »

Am I missing something? Why do we NEED another vote on a random bandwagon? That just seems to me bad playing. I mean sure it puts more pressure on those with the votes but it's still all in the random stage. I don't see how another vote on those is helpful. Then again I could be missing the big picture seeing as how it's me with the votes...

I would think we would want more input and more spread out votes. Narrowing our focus on two people seems a little, I don't know, counter productive.
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:17 am

Post by Miztef »

well, the idea is that with many votes on 1 person, people start to react more, since something could "actually" happen. If no one is at risk, there is no point in reacting in any way really, since there is no point in using your influence, since there is no need to sway the vote.

wow, what a run on sentence.

basically, no pressure, no point.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:20 am

Post by Jitsu »

Because we need to get information, and we need to get a reaction out of somebody to get things going. Like the others have said, the random wagons will fall apart and people will unvote if there really isn't anything there. I don't plan on putting a vote on somebody and leaving it there without a reason to do so.

I agree with you that we need more input, but the others are correct about something; when someone only has 2 or 3 votes on them, there is not sufficient pressure for anything to happen. Yours was the strongest reaction we've gotten out of anyone so far -- and I was just talking about placing a vote, let alone doing anything about it.

Besides, it's not like there are any non-random bandwagons out there to vote on, and it's darn near impossible to legitimately justify a vote on anyone else at this point.

With three votes, you're hardly in danger of a lynch, and none of those were serious votes anyway. I hadn't even decided who I was going to vote for yet.

Why so defensive?
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:55 am

Post by Korlash »

Defensive? You call that defensive? I was merely trying to ask why you thought we were in need of a fourth vote. I agree that no one is in danger of anything ATM. (We would have to be a pretty stupid town to lynch someone this fast ><) So even four votes didn't seem like it would cause any significant pressure.

And as for the strongest reaction so far, I agree... I mean it sure was the strongest alright. With so many examples I can list here on page 3 of strong reactions mine definitely tops the chart! [/sarcasm]

Also I think it is "damn near impossible to legitimately justify a vote" on anyone at this point... Random and even "pressure" do no justify anything, even if it dose get the game moving. (Not saying I don't agree with random/pressure votes, just saying they are not true, honest, legitimate votes. In fact, a smart mafia would know a "pressure" vote is worthless unless they overreact so I never even see these are really helpful.)

So making sure not to limit the town's questionnaire to a singular person, what about my last post made you think I was being defensive, or was in any fear you would vote for me?

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, I can understand Korrie being a little more jumpy than everyone else, being the guy on the hotseat. But I wouldn't say he was being defensive.

I know it seems illogical, Korificus, but we have to do
something
to get the game open, and while throwing random votes around may not be ideal, its real the only thing we can do; I can think of a few things that would be more efficient, but they rely on people telling the truth (not something that's likely to happen).
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:01 am

Post by Korlash »

Wow... First time anyone has called me
that!

And I am all for this direction of game play. It's fine really, I just wanted to know why it was "Needed" and not just "One way to go." made me think that was the only option they saw and I didn't understand why.

So... Fire away, I promise I will tell the truth! :P

"No I did not have sexual relations with that woman! I wanted too..."

jerubbaal
jerubbaal
Goon
jerubbaal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:02 am

Post by jerubbaal »

Korlash (BTW, I don't actually think the card is that strong, but then again I don't play black much), I haven't heard much out of you except for jokes and a degree of nervousness, which seems misplaced as we are just in the random voting stage. The votes right now (very likely) are not being placed primarily because of suspicion and will not (very likely) lead to a lynch. It's just pressure, and you seem to be squirming a little bit. And if you weren't being defensive before, post 54 was certainly defensive.

Jitsu, decent scumhunting, putting out the facts of what's been going on without much distortion, very good. Clarity is always in the town's interest, and distortion of arguments and actions is always bad, so I'm happy so far.

Jayalay is pretty much the only other person to post a direct question, and we haven't heard from her since. Asking for reasons does definitely seem like a plus, as the more reasons we have listed, the more precisely we can analyze the contradictions in claims. I really like the fact that everything anyone says is permanently on record, so we can look back and make sure everything is consistent.

Everyone else, input would be appreciated. And simply unvoting doesn't seem to move us out of the random vote stage much at all. It's not like there's a hard line when random voting stops and real voting begins. I made this logical mistake last game, asserting that random votes are not "real" votes. Every vote is real and can tell us a great deal of information. We just have to be careful to take all context (such as random voting stage) and/or reasons expressed into consideration and not make those votes mean something they don't mean. Again, clarity is probably one of the best allies the town has.
<><
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:27 am

Post by Miztef »

the last few posts have no real pushes towards anyone being scum. Which makes sense , considering there has been very little scummy actions so far.

However, we do need to start picking out the first candidates for lynch, and I think I'll

unvote vote: Korlash

karmadog has given me no reason to keep my vote on him, and korlash has been a little overreactive and, from my POV, confusing. So, let's see where this takes us.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:35 am

Post by Jitsu »

@Korlash:

I thought we needed a fourth vote at some point because nobody flinched with three votes on them and nobody seemed interested in changing a vote so far. So I dangled the possibility of a fourth vote out there to test the waters. And you reacted. It wasn't a huge reaction, for sure, but it was a reaction.

I saw your reaction and decided to press it a bit to see what would shake out. I would have expected you to react like you did if I had actually voted for you, but not when I was just talking about it.

To answer your question: it wasn't anything specific you said, as much as how much you said and the timing.

I agree with you about not focusing too much on one person. Sure, I could vote for someone that doesn't have many votes on them yet, but I'm not going to learn anything at this point by putting a vote on Jayalay or Anata, for example. Though, if people lurk a few more days, I wouldn't mind putting a vote on a lurker to encourage them to talk. I'd rather not do that on the weekend though, when people are less active.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:53 am

Post by Jitsu »

Sudo_Nym wrote:I can think of a few things that would be more efficient, but they rely on people telling the truth (not something that's likely to happen).
Really? I'd like to know what you've got in mind.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:40 am

Post by Korlash »

@ jerubbaal: i don't play black a lot either but it is a pretty good card, I hear some people call it a game winner. I just like it... Don't know why...

still @ Jerubbaal: Post 54 was not so much defensive as much as a response to Jitsu's question:
Jitsu wrote:Why so defensive?
Your basically putting me in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario here. If I don't answer the questions I look scummy, yet if I do you call it defensive and use that against me. I just find that a little odd.

And I wouldn't call it nervousness... Maybe a different perspective or view point Mixed with a tiny bit of inexperience/unsureness.

@ Miztef: I already told you I don't consider any votes right now worth being under pressure for. You would get a lot more by asking me stuff/ talking to me like Jitsu and jerubbaal are.

Also... I wouldn't say "First candidates for lynch" this early. Sounds to me like your tying to push for a short day. I would probably say something like "First candidates for suspicion" Or "Most likely scum" seeing as how we all agree there is no real threat of a lynch right now and comments like that seem to be brought up later against you. Just a heads up for future reference.

and lastly @ Jitsu: I like how your playing. Active, scum hunting, not just throwing out votes. While I may not totally fully agree with your style, I am looking forward to a pretty good game.

As for a fourth vote. It won't change anything alone. As you see Miztef voted without asking me anything, or even really pointing anything out. So his vote (To me) looks just as random as the rest, so I wouldn't react to it. However, the discussion going on right now is enough to make me give input. A much better way to gain info on people then semi-meaningless votes.

And, not to sound too "defensive" here, but can you explain how my reaction was what you expected? I mean, all I wanted to know was why you believe a fourth vote was necessary, and instead of just answering you accused me of being defensive. To me, it seems like you saw me as a possible candidate to throw suspicion on and took what I said out of context. I agree I reacted to your post with my thoughts on it, but it was not because you talked about a putting a fourth vote on. It was because two people each agreed that was a good plan and I did not understand why.

And perhaps I am misunderstanding you but are you trying to say that because my post was large (in length) you automatically assumed I was under pressure and defending myself? That just seems a little... biased... Perhaps thats not the right word...

and I will tackle both of your last comments together.
Jitsu wrote:Sure, I could vote for someone that doesn't have many votes on them yet, but I'm not going to learn anything at this point by putting a vote on Jayalay or Anata, for example. Though, if people lurk a few more days, I wouldn't mind putting a vote on a lurker to encourage them to talk. I'd rather not do that on the weekend though, when people are less active.
Jitsu wrote:Really? I'd like to know what you've got in mind.
For starters take what just happened. You talked, and I answered. We just committed active discussion! We have each gained info on the other, without a vote needed. Now take Miztef's vote. I pretty much said nothing in response to it. Because he did not give me any specific reasons that I could explain/counter. So we, the town, have gained nothing out of it and the maifa have gained a player with a slightly higher bandwagon. (This is not about me here. This is for later on, anyone can attack the people on me saying there was no reason for a vote/wagon and use it against them. So in theory, 5 townies can be in danger of having scum opportunities their deaths/reason to be lynched.)

So to answer your question, asking questions and pointing out mistakes/unknowns are much better at generating discussion then a random/pressure vote this early. But it does need the person (In his case me) to be honest about why I said something or what I said.

Other things could include flaming someone. This would spark a comeback, active discussion, or violent outburst that might give something away. In general this should be avoided at all costs as it makes games annoying/hard to read and overall turns active discussion into biased attacks with no real backing.

using info from other games someone is playing in could also be a discussion starter. The sentence "Hey Blank! I'm in game XXX with you and you have been posting there non-stop! Yet you are lurking here! What the hell man?" Could be used to get someone to talk. Again this should be avoided as each game has its own limits and boundaries to it. Just because someone did something somewhere else does not mean they will play the same here. this is one of those things that could cause unnecessary pressure/reasonable doubt on someone that could spiral into an attack/lynch that had no real backing to begin with.

In short, I agree that a vote or talk is best. Those are just a few things I could think of that would start the game moving a little. (Not saying I wold do them. I'm not really! Don't hold that against me here! ^^')

Also my take on the inactives... It could be just that they are not able to post as much as we can during the weekends. So I agree we should give them some time before we turn our attention to them. Then again, With a townie in the current spotlight, some people(mainly mafia) would be inclined to let us attack each other (Provided we are both town here) instead of jumping in and putting their selves out there. Just an idea to take and ruminate on here. I actually don't mind being the one with the votes on me as I will get to express my ideas/feelings early and will hopefully be able to help find the actual scum.

Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:11 am

Post by Miztef »

Korlash wrote:
In short, I agree that a vote or talk is best. Those are just a few things I could think of that would start the game moving a little. (Not saying I wold do them. I'm not really! Don't hold that against me here! ^^')
This line just amazes me in it's oddness.

So, you agree that talking or voting is the best things to do... wonderful, the 2 things we are able to do, we should do! Yet.... you may or may not do them. OK. Wow.

I honestly just don't even know what to think about it, it's just so odd. After that whole speech, that's the conclusion.

I have no idea if it pertains to you being scum or not, but it's just crazy.

So, my question is: Can you explain/elaborate?
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:18 am

Post by Miztef »

ah, maybe I should have read more carefully, I didn't really see all the stuff about flaming and researching other games.

Still... after all that, the conclusion being a simple "we should talk or vote" seems almost pointless.

I'm honestly shocked no one has voted for me yet. I would think a vote on me would make sense after that post from you korlash.

I do find jitsu's tatics very good and clean, and as we go forward, will become more useful. I hope his clarification works well when there is loads of information.

Right now, I think I'm gonna lay off pushing any wagons very hard, we need a bit more activity from other players.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Jitsu wrote:
Sudo_Nym wrote:I can think of a few things that would be more efficient, but they rely on people telling the truth (not something that's likely to happen).
Really? I'd like to know what you've got in mind.
Well, don't look too much into it, as this is merely theory, and has a long way to go before I can even attempt to call it viable. So, warning: Saying this does not mean I think we should do this. Actually implementing the plan I'm about to state out loud (or type, as it were) is a
stupid
idea.

Well, my thing was to start off with a mass claim. I know, it sounds stupid (and it is), but my thinking is thusly- scum aren't going to claim scum, but they might claim a power role. Multiple power role claims are a good basis for discussion, assuming that their's only one of each. The problem is, not only are scum not going to claim scum, but power roles might claim townie, just so they won't be immediately targetted night one. So I'm still working on the idea- not that I ever expected it to see play in an actual game.

Funny how my mind works sometimes, eh?
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 am

Post by Korlash »

I do like that idea... If all the town claim then it wont matter who gets NKed because we would know the mafia. But the downside is the claim "Vanilla towny" kills this plan off... every mafia would claim it, the vanilla townies would claim it, and some power roles would claim it... so... yeah I don't think it will ever be in play, unless theres a fully power role game ever done.

As for Miztef's comment on a vote, I have said numerous times I do not think a random/pressure vote helps out that much. Especially when you can turn it around as an OMGUS vote. Plus your not really scummy with a fourth vote, so I see no reason to add one on you. And no offense.. but only 3 people have posted sense you voted me, so the odds were against you gaining a vote.

As for my vote or talk thing it was merely for Jitsu's question. Even though there are a million(Exaggeration) things we can do, we still shouldn't do them. I just wanted to make that clear in case anyone tried to hold my flaming/other games info against me later. And while it may seem odd to you (Because you already knew it) to a player who didn't know it might have taken my above speech to say flaming or other game info would help and thus do it. I did not want this so thats why I concluded the way I did.

Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:55 am

Post by Korlash »

After rereading that post I think I may have said something a bit funny.
Korlash wrote: I have said numerous times I do not think a random/pressure vote helps out that much.
This of course contradicts a few things I have said in the past at first glance so I want to clear up my feelings right now before you guys get it in your head I'm contradicting myself.

My views on random/early pressure votes:
To a good player, they will not help out too much. As long as a player knows they are in no danger they should not over react. So I try to avoid making them myself.

Proside of random/early pressure votes:
They can help in starting active discussion.(Not always about the voted, sometimes about the voter.) So one or two votes may hep make a person talk, others may require a few more, as you see I only needed 3 to fully begin talking.

So while I agree they can be helpful I am against making them... I know it's hard to understand that but I feel that the other 11 players will make enough that I don't have to, while I am confident I am fully able to create discussion through just that, discussion. No iffy votes to use against me later, no hard feelings right off the bat.

Mostly it's because I feel you get more info from the voter then you do from a smart voted...

Sorry about the double post, I am usually pretty good at previewing my stuff carefully...

Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by Mexal »

I'm still on vacation(I will be back tomorrow and active), but for now, there was something that needed to be addressed immediately. A mass claim is NOT a good idea. Actually, it's probably the WORST possible idea you could have come up with.

unvote, vote: sudo_nym
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:54 pm

Post by Korlash »

to be fair he at first didn;t even say it... and when he did he admited it was a bad idea...

FoS: Mexal
for ignoring important details...

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

What the hell, man? Did I not put the disclaimers in there, or did you just not read them? Your post tells me that you didn't read the whole thing, merely skimmed it and hoped we wouldn't notice.

We noticed.

unvote, vote: Mexal

I know, it seems a little OMGUSy, but at this point, this is the most legitimate reason I have to vote for anybody.
jerubbaal
jerubbaal
Goon
jerubbaal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:21 pm

Post by jerubbaal »

Massclaim seems pretty dumb, especially as we don't even really know the type of scenario we're in, i.e. which power roles are present, number of mafia, third parties, etc.... It would seem really impossible to evaluate whatever information we got from such a claim, as we don't even really have much of a framework. I can potentially see some scenarios where an immediate massclaim would facilitate the town (I think I read on the wiki about someone breaking a certain format by realizing a massclaim almost always meant town win, don't remember the format or the person, but I think it's there somewhere), but that seems far from wise here with so many unknowns.
Miztef wrote:However, we do need to start picking out the first candidates for lynch
This is very sketch. We're in no hurry here. I certainly agree, Korlash is at the top of my list of suspicious characters, mainly because he seems to be talking himself in circles, but for the moment I think our priority is to get some constructive discussion going. We have quite a few people who haven't said much at all yet, and it seems much, much to soon to even get started thinking about a lynch. Pressure is all fine and well at this point, but the last thing we want is a quick lynch. I'm not so worried about scum jumping in and hammering, as that would be suicide, but moreso worried about some newbie (I think we have some in this game even newer than myself) jumping on a bandwagon without checking the vote count or some such. You appear to have itchy britches, my friend.

Korlash, you seem to be saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't like pressure votes, and that we should be exploring other ways of starting discussion without necessarily voting. There's certainly something to be said for these alternative methods that you listed, but pressure votes seem to be a pretty surefire way to get someone to respond when they have done something sketchy.
Korlash wrote:I do like that idea... If all the town claim then it wont matter who gets NKed because we would know the mafia. But the downside is the claim "Vanilla towny" kills this plan off... every mafia would claim it, the vanilla townies would claim it, and some power roles would claim it... so... yeah I don't think it will ever be in play, unless theres a fully power role game ever done.
I'm sorry man, but duh. You're just echoing Nym's reasons for not suggesting such a massclaim and making it sound like your insight.
Korlash wrote:As for Miztef's comment on a vote, I have said numerous times I do not think a random/pressure vote helps out that much. Especially when you can turn it around as an OMGUS vote. Plus your not really scummy with a fourth vote, so I see no reason to add one on you. And no offense.. but only 3 people have posted sense you voted me, so the odds were against you gaining a vote.

As for my vote or talk thing it was merely for Jitsu's question. Even though there are a million(Exaggeration) things we can do, we still shouldn't do them. I just wanted to make that clear in case anyone tried to hold my flaming/other games info against me later. And while it may seem odd to you (Because you already knew it) to a player who didn't know it might have taken my above speech to say flaming or other game info would help and thus do it. I did not want this so thats why I concluded the way I did.
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Could you possibly state this a bit clearer? You seem confused, but maybe it's just your language that's confused.
Miztef
Miztef
Goon
Miztef
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:02 pm

Post by Miztef »

did no one notice the "I'm on vacation" line of Mexal's?

He probably only had a brief time to post, or cared only slightly, cause he's on god damn vacation.

It's pretty ironic when you think of it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Post by Korlash »

Well I admit i have not gained that explanation flair some people seem to have a natural knack for. My biggest problem has always been having some great idea and then explaining it in a way that makes me look stupid...

*sigh*

I am working on it...

Now I'll try to make it crystal clear here:

I am not against people putting up pressure votes, I just don't see them as a sure fire way to weed out scum. If someone understands that the votes put on right now will NOT lead to him being lynched any time soon, that player should not feel any pressure. The same goes for a totally random vote. so I would rather you guys ask me questions/ state specific examples you would like me to talk about instead of just going "Hes suspicious, Vote: Korlash, that might make him crack!" because I realize there is no reason to even think about a lynch ATM.

And I kinda think its reaching to insinuate that I was trying to make it look like my incite. I personally thought it an interesting idea, but at the same time wanted to show him I was not as dumb as Mexal and fully understood where he was coming from.

As for that last quote the first paragraph was directed at Miztef for the most part explaining why I did not vote him. And the second part was for his sarcastic comment about how I "stated the obvious" thing. I don't see an easy way to clear it up without rewriting it for the most part... It mainly says "I said the last part in case some players did not completely understand where I stood on the matter."

I find it odd the way you guys keep coming back at me with "You seem to be stating the obvious/ just saying what others have" as if that is actually a bad thing to do. I personally find it helpful to let people know when you agree with them and understand what they meant. Because then when people like Mexal come in and DON'T agree with you, you at least know that you got through to someone and don't make an honest mistake over it.

Also can you give me examples of "talking in circles?" I hate when people say something vague like that and I'm stuck here unable to clear it up.

Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Post by Jitsu »

Guys, I'll comment on the rest of what's happenend in the morning, but I want to comment on the massclaim now:

I don't fault Sudo_Nym for what he said. He did open the door for the question when he suggested there was an effective way he could think of doing things, so I called him on it and asked for an explanation. And he gave one -- preferencing it by calling it a stupid idea is something I agree with, so I don't fault him for that. Once I asked for the explanation, he was effectively committed to saying something, and he answered as well as he could. I believe that it was just an idea that was hanging around the back of his mind that subconsciously found its way out -- I don't think he wasn't entertaining the idea seriously.

Needless to say, a massclaim is a horrendous idea right now. Regardless of what the scum do, any power roles we may have as town, those power roles would be forced into an awful situation: They would either need to: (1) stay silent and lie (pretend to be vanilla townies) to protect their idenities, which would make them seem suspicious later. If a scum falseclaims a power role and the genuine player stays silent, the town will believe the scum for a while (early power role claims tend to be trusted because they are a big, big risk for the scum, plus they are testable), while the scum gleefully cause all kind of confusion. At that point, both townies AND scum have liekly lied, while the remaining players have to sort out the mess. -or- (2) the town power roles tell the truth and/or counterclaim any false scum claims so people trust them. Guess who gets NK'd by the mafia then?

The time for a massclaim is later in the game, when several days go by and we get a better feel for who is suspicious and who is not. At that time, any potential power roles have done their jobs (and hopefully given us results) and are more ready for a claim. Usually such a claim will buy you an extra night's investigation if a doctor is present, or if the claimed power roles can be trusted, can swing the game in the town's favor by helping narrow down the possible scum. The massclaim is a powerful town asset, but not when it's used too early. The primary goals for the town on day one are to lynch a scum if possible, and protect the power roles so they can use their powers.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Post by Jitsu »

As you may be able to tell, I paid a lot of attention to when and how people claimed as I read over the games on this site.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”