Toolenduso's Top 100 Songs

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:00 am

Post by toolenduso »

Beggars

by Thrice

from the album Beggars

Selected lyrics:
Tell me, what can you claim / Not a thing, not your name / Tell me if you can recall / Just one thing that's not a gift in this life

My thoughts on this song:
Thrice's biggest strength has always been the cohesion they have as a band. Lyrics and vocals support music and vice versa. They really know how to work together to achieve a feeling. They have a lot of great songs, but this one takes it to another level. It starts out soft but tense, and then fiery guitar comes in, burning Dustin's vocals along the way, as the song builds tension. After a short acoustic break, the song explodes into an apocalyptic, absolutist instrumental jam. The lyrics are about the smallness of people within the universe, and the song feels like the stars falling down on you. It taps into the fear I feel at night when I'm falling asleep and suddenly I think about the frailty of the entire human civilization against something so trivial to the universe as an asteroid. As a side note, this is basically the song that taught me how musicians can pour their emotions into an instrument — when I saw Thrice perform this live in Salt Lake City during high school, shortly after Teppei Teranishi lost his mother, his guitar work during the end of this song felt just like grief.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:05 am

Post by Cyril »

oh hell to the yes this one's great
i don't know what my favorite song off this album is tbh they're all just really strong, one of my fave albums
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 am

Post by Errantparabola »

i liked it
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am

Post by toolenduso »

I think Vheissu is overall still my favorite album from Thrice, but Beggars as an album is very strong. Really unique sound to it.

And really, it wasn't that long ago that I considered Beggars my number one favorite song. But putting this list together there was another song that felt even more special to me.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Post by Cyril »

draw it out as long as possible
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 am

Post by toolenduso »

The Fisherman Song (We All Need Love)

by Mae

from the album (M)orning

Selected lyrics:
All that he said was hurting my head / Wondering how to leave the selfishness behind / All that I could say / Is it's so hard to love / The way that you want me to

My thoughts on this song:
Roll a pair of dice a billion times and you'll get an improbable sequence at some point. Create a billion stars and chances are, eventually one of them will host a planetary system conducive to life. Set millions of people to the task of song-writing, and some of those songs will come out utterly perfect. That's how I view this song — it's not that Mae is the best band in the world, or that they're so much more talented than everyone else. It's that the creation of a song like this, that would appeal to me so thoroughly, was inevitable. Every time I hear this song I get chills and marvel anew at how natural everything sounds, like
of course
the snare sounds that way, crisp but not too sharp. And
obviously
the timbre of the acoustic guitar strings in the opening would evoke twinkling stars. And
what else
could the lyrics possibly be? How else could the song create the feeling of a physical and mental journey that leads one to an epiphany both monumentally important and utterly banal? I love, love, love this song.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:07 am

Post by toolenduso »

wooooooo

here's the full YouTube playlist (I think a BTBAM song got taken down in the course of me posting and I haven't been able to find another version yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiV ... u_E8zEy15r
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 am

Post by Cyril »

i probably should check out this album since i liked the song sent in BotB and apparently when you entered this one i gave it my 12 a billion years ago

Return to “General Discussion”