On Improving In Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Fri May 01, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

In post 48, northsidegal wrote:In fact, it seems to me like the mindset of "as long as this is fun the balance matters less" is what leads to very complex Normal setups, the kind of which I was under the impression that you disliked.
Complexity isn't inherently more fun. I find relying on dayplay far more fun than nightplay.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 46, northsidegal wrote:
As a side note, I wonder if what I was trying to say about Normal games is the same as how it comes across to others. Is roughly 50/50 winrates
not
the goal? Should it be something else?
My worthless opinion is that we should be striving for 50/50 EV which is not the same as 50/50 observed. You could have a 70-30 EV setup achieving 50-50 winrate due to poor play by the advantageous side but that doesn't make the setup balanced. Observed winrate being close to 50-50 might be close to 50-50 EV much of the time but the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun May 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 50, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:Complexity isn't inherently more fun. I find relying on dayplay far more fun than nightplay.
I agree with this. I know there are people who prefer the opposite though as well. I generally enter games that are advertised as simple, otherwise I'd join a complex setup if I really like the theme, or the playerlist (or am familiar with them). I think this all comes down to preference though.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

I wouldn't say nightplay wins aren't fun or satisfying, but the discussion aspect of the game quickly dies once you have a definitive win via night actions. Kind of the general reason I don't much care for them as a setup goal as they aren't really good learning tools for improving as a player generally for either side.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 49, Alyssa The Lamb wrote: I think that game feel and game balance are inherently different things. A game can be balanced by numbers and still feel really shitty to play, which the open setup listing should hopefully provide enough examples to show what I mean.
I agree. Balance doesn't translate to being fun, and EV also doesn't necessarily translate to balance. Those are both things that I think are definitely true, and we seem to agree there.

This might be a bit tangential, but I do however think that common criticisms of EV tend to miss the point. I think that most people who consider open setup balance recognize that there are outside factors that influence EV, and you can't consider a game's balance only on its EV without considering the mechanics. I think almost everyone by now knows that nightkills lower in-practice EV, and the lack of them raise it significantly. There are similar raising and lowering in-practice EV factors for, say, Vengecop and White Flag, and almost any other open setup you can name. Whenever I see someone criticize the use of EV based on saying that "EV doesn't mean a setup is balanced", I tend to think to myself, "yeah, we know". Obviously the specifics differ, but still. (i don't think this is what you're saying, i was just reminded of this. sorry for the tangent)
My problem is that in the normal games I've played, the scumteam either have unrealistic expectations of them compared to town, or the game is incredibly swingy to balance a specific role or player amount. This is functionally the problem I have with normal games. The fact that they're technically balanced means very little to me, because my idea of an optimal normal queue is relatively simple games that focus on day play while theme games can focus more on mechanical play. I've gotten this feeling in years past, but this has been lost in recent ones.
It sounds like we agree that overcomplexity is a problem for normal games. It seems like you consider this problem to take priority over winrate balance, although I would problem put them in the opposite order. I don't think that really puts us at odds, however.

On your first point, however, we might disagree – that of the scumteam having unrealistic expectations compared to town. Based on some comments and conversations I've read from you in previous normal games, it seems like our philosophies on setup design differ. For instance, earlier skitter mentioned that she felt like it was bad design that she was involved in so many games where scum had neighborhoods and yet the setup at large seemed to lack anything to do with neighborhoods – no Traffic Analysts, no PT cops. I disagree with this line of thinking fairly strongly.

In the first place, neighborhoods have been in games since long before PT Cops and Traffic Analysts were normalized. Those two roles have certainly been in many normal games since their being whitelisted, but to assume that the two must come together—that a neighborhood necessarily implies one of those roles—seems like recentism bias.

Skitter said that it felt like a red herring. I think that red herrings in closed setup designs tend to be a good thing. That's a fairly strong statement, so let me clarify it – I think that, for closed setups, it is necessary to not always conform to players' expectations. When it comes to any puzzle, there is the signal, and the noise. To have a setup with no red herrings would be all signal, no noise. Imagine if every time there was a Gunsmith, there was a Mafia Doctor. If every time there was a Miller, there was a Cop. I think that this would lead to less interesting and subsequently less fun setups – I think that an important part of closed setups in the first place is uncertainty over roles, even if everything has been claimed. There are important meta considerations along this line of thinking as well. If nobody ever included just a regular Fruit Vendor—if it were always Loyal, or Complex, or Disloyal, or whatever—it would change the way that people play. Uncertainty is an inherent and necessary part of closed setups, and having "red herrings" is the only way to keep that sort of uncertainty alive. Not conforming to expectations can also be used as a part of balancing a setup – for instance, giving Mafia Strongmen or Ninjas when those roles have no utility in the setup. You might say that that seems unfun or frustrating, but I would counter by saying that almost all setups mislead the Town similarly in some way, and again state that that is a necessary and good thing.

Bringing it back to your point, reading some of your conversations in various Normal games, I was reminded of "skew", a balance property that CFJ once talked a bit about. Skew is the tendency for one faction to be able to make massive gains if they play well or get lucky, while the other faction does not have that ability. It seemed to me like many of your problems stemmed from the fact that the games you were looking at seemed to be Skewed – it seemed like you took great issue with instances of scum playing well and yet still losing to good town mechanical actions. To put my main point here concisely, I think that skew is basically an inherent property of Normal games. I also think that basically all setups that involve Power Roles of some sort tend to be skewed (If you want to talk more about this I'd be happy to, but it seems a bit tangential right now). The very peak of scum mechanical play mostly looks like killing the best people each night, probably very good PR hunting and
maybe
good roleblocking (if scum have a roleblocker), whereas the very peak of town mechanical play (where we imagine every town PR makes the best decisions possible) would almost certainly end with town victories in most setups. I say this because Normal games tend not to be balanced around PRs making perfect checks every night, because that's not how most games go. I think that I've said some things that might get interpreted in a direction that I didn't intend them, so I'm going to just restate a few points here:
  1. Normal games aren't balanced around TPRs making perfect checks each night, because this doesn't tend to happen.
  2. If TPRs took perfect (or at least very good) actions each night, they would probably win a lot of setups.
  3. The same ability does not exist for scum, because their PRs tend to be based around disrupting town PRs. Perfect nightkills and roleblocks would stem the tide of perfect TPR actions, but would still likely give town the advantage in most games.
  4. Thus, we might say that these games are skewed, because the town can make more gains through great actions than the scum can through similarly great actions.
(Most people have probably heard a lot more about "swing" as a balance property, and might consider skew the same thing. I think that there are a lot of cases where they match up, but there are still some meaningful distinctions. For example, I would consider the Newbie A1 RB vs Cop + Doc to be a swingy setup, but not a very skewed one. Again, probably too tangential at this point)

Basically, I think that very few people would disagree that they would prefer Normal games to focus more on dayplay than on night actions (and I would agree with you), but there will almost always be setups where town can either win or gain a significant advantage through good night actions even if the scumteam is playing well, simply because there are very few roles which do not allow for this (mason and innocent child come to mind).

At the end of this very large amount of text I'd just like to restate that I agree with you more than I disagree with you. I dislike setups that have been contorted just to fit some crazy role that the designer really wants, or some "unique" idea that isn't actually fun. I've been guilty of this myself a bit in the past, and seeing how people disliked having to actually play those setups has really stuck with me. The only points it seems to me like we disagree on are expectations when it comes to setup design, and the capability for scum to still lose after playing well via town night actions. I think that skew should still be minimized, but that it is pretty much an inherent part of town power roles.
Fundamentally, I think this is probably a sizable chunk of why a lot of scum players can't get motivated to try in them anymore, which means that when competent towns appear, they ultimately stomp the game in my experience. I can describe what I mean by competent towns when I have time to sit down.

I call old towns better because they simply had to be. There was less of a cushion in PRs in a lot of games and there were more strong scum players. It's rather disturbing to have this reputation for strong scum play when I only ever got the impression that I got the advantage in games because towns destroyed themselves and i just happen to be half decent at amplifying that. That's not strong scum play, that's abusing weak town play.
I agree that I think there used to be more strong scum players on-site in the past, but I'm still not sure there's any evidence that both 1) setups in the past were significantly less townsided and 2) winrates under those setups were comparable to today.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue May 05, 2020 9:58 pm

Post by Quick »

I'm tryin' to relax, gosh.
https://youtu.be/LRkYiRnRzY0

Wakie, wakie. Eggs and Bacie.
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:43 pm

Post by SJReaver »

In post 8, Ramcius wrote:
Why would you need to lie and manipulate as a town? Even as a scum you can limit it to minimum. Accusing people isn't hard, you just need to ask people why they do things you don't understand and then evaluate their answer. It's just simple as that
There are three players left in a game. Yourself (a townie) A and B. You believe A is a fellow townie and B is a baddie.

Everything to say to convince A to vote against B is a form of manipulation.
In post 48, northsidegal wrote:I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. And, if you'll excuse my tone, if you care about a game feeling overpowering for one alignment or the other, it sounds like you do care about balance.

In fact, it seems to me like the mindset of "as long as this is fun the balance matters less" is what leads to very complex Normal setups, the kind of which I was under the impression that you disliked.

Balance is just another element of fun. Being put in a position where you have little to no chance of winning because the mechanics heavily favor the other side is not fun for many people.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In terms of Normal balance over time: a few years ago town was losing nearly all their Normals, so the NRG made a conscious effort to generate setups that were more townsided. Since then, towns have gotten better relative to the Mafia, so we've managed to move the balance back to some extent. (I agree that some Normal setups nowadays are too complex; there seem to be multiple competing visions of what Normals should be, and some mods/reviewers seem to have a complexity addiction. That said, even simple Normal setups will often contain at least one red herring; this is to give scope for scum fakeclaims, because if the setup is too predictable, a strong mechanical player can deduce the entire setup by outguessing the mod and thus confirm all the town power roles.)

My own experience of meta shifts over time is that players have generally got better at dayplay but worse at nightplay, compared to when I first started at the site. The quality of the worst players has also risen somewhat; back in 2011 it was common for games to contain one or two players who were so bad (actively playing against wincon, lurking to the extent of complete unreadability, etc.) that you pretty much had to eliminate them automatically to prevent them losing you the game, nowadays even bad players typically aren't nearly
that
bad. So towns are more cohesive than they used to be.

On the subject of balance vs. fun: there's definitely a relationship, if the players perceive the setup as unbalanced during play they won't have much fun. (Oddly, in my experience, this doesn't apply as much when the setup looks balanced during play but is actually unbalanced, and a setup that was balanced but looks unbalanced can be demoralising. The latter situation can occasionally happen as a consequence of fakeclaims even if there's nothing wrong with the setup. I once replaced into a slot that had 0% chance of winning, and still had fun due to not realising this until much later.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 49, Alyssa The Lamb wrote:I call old towns better because they simply had to be. There was less of a cushion in PRs in a lot of games and there were more strong scum players. It's rather disturbing to have this reputation for strong scum play when I only ever got the impression that I got the advantage in games because towns destroyed themselves and i just happen to be half decent at amplifying that. That's not strong scum play, that's abusing weak town play.
Look Alyssa

What quantifiable evidence do you have that old towns were better besides wanting it to be that way? Because I back when I was invested did a lot of research and between old high end players being somewhere between mediocre to awful on returning and modern towns just performing better in terms of lynch rates and 'top tier' performance I don't think there's any evidence that old towns were better and at least 5 different metrics under which you can claim no, modern towns are better.

Your own personal performance I will leave as it is but your winrate was never an impressive scum winrate: plenty of top historical scum players had ridiculously high winrates because scum players as an individual disproportionately are capable of winning games alone.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by Bell »

I'm still not sure how to improve in mafia as town. Right now I'd say my strongest asset is that I don't get eliminated easily , which is good for either alignment. But when it comes to identifying mafia I can't tell the difference. Even bad scum can slip past me. I feel stuck in that I can't quite figure out how to approach improving as town to identify mafia.

My mafia game has a lot of room for improvement but I'm not interested in it beyond playing my role well so that people can feel a sense of achievement when they catch me or say they enjoyed my performance if they don't.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I don't know the best way to practice and improve but recently I replaced into a slot in mylo and tried my damn best to convince a town read who I thought was scum and that I was town. So basically, trying to work on my persuasion skill. Yet I made a few mistakes and was onto one scum at first but then reverted my read on them, game over. So going to focus on my reads some more.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”