Song Contest 153 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
The Bulge
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
The Bulge
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 am

Post by The Bulge »

In post 47, Vi wrote:INDONESIA -- J Dilla {U-Love} -- I can't help but feel that there's some context I'm missing here
This is track 27/31 of a 45-min long instrumental hiphop album, most tracks hovering around 1-1.5 mins, so... yes, context definitely missing. I thought it was a gutty move submitting from that album in the first place, it probably wouldn't have gotten my 10 if I wasn't familiar with its place on the album.

That being said if you don't like the samples, instrumental hiphop is likely not for you
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:06 am

Post by Scigatt »

In post 50, The Bulge wrote:
In post 47, Vi wrote:INDONESIA -- J Dilla {U-Love} -- I can't help but feel that there's some context I'm missing here
This is track 27/31 of a 45-min long instrumental hiphop album, most tracks hovering around 1-1.5 mins, so... yes, context definitely missing. I thought it was a gutty move submitting from that album in the first place, it probably wouldn't have gotten my 10 if I wasn't familiar with its place on the album.

That being said if you don't like the samples, instrumental hiphop is likely not for you
It's too damn short. It would have been fine otherwise.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 36, Tammy wrote:
In post 31, Errantparabola wrote:unless u dont want me in song contest anymore.... jeez... gettin cut all the time u know i can take a hint
the last time we had cuts, i think I was cut almost every time I was eligible. I'd basically just enter so that I had a guaranteed in next time.
maybe if i vote even though im not in it i will accumulate positive karma & be safe
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: The Straightforward Rating System does not need a beta test
Canada(American Football (feat. Hayley Williams)): Maybe
Indonesia(J Dilla):No
Niger(Bombino):Entry
Chad(Imminence):Yes
The Underground(Toby Fox):No-ish

Armenia(Kovacs):Yes-ish
Poland(Saint Motel):Maybe
Central African Republic(Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel):No
New Zealand(Kodaline):No-ish
Iraq(Chon):No-ish

Monaco(Avicii):No-ish
USA(Mick Gordon):Maybe
Ireland(Sidney Gish):No-ish
Nepal(霜月はるか (Haruka Shimotsuki)):No-ish
Llanowar(FamilyJules7x):Yes-ish
Anguilla(ROSALÍA):No-ish

France(Hua Chen Yu):Yes
Seleucid Kingdom(Camila Cabello):No-ish
Flavortown(ERRA):Yes-ish
Ankh-Morpork(Therapy?):No-ish
Hinamizawa(CunninLynguists ft Tonedeff):No-ish

Estonia(CombatPlayer):Yes-ish
Latvia(Shinji Hosoe):Maybe
Norway(KEiiNO):No-ish
Isle of Man(All Time Low):Yes-ish
The Netherlands(Sven Wunder):Maybe
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Post by Vi »

Spoiler: in response
Whoa, I had that one down as shcadd_'s entry.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: Response
Who did you think I was? I said I entered and I wasn't cut, so I had to be in there.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 am

Post by Vi »

Spoiler: probably the last of these from me
Honestly, no idea. I think I've rated your non-Belarus entries higher in general, but I wasn't able to tell at the time that they were yours.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Random comments while I compose my ballot:

Is it just me, or does France's intro sound like the solo from Stairway To Heaven.
Scigatt wrote:It's too damn short. It would have been fine otherwise.
Actually, my biggest problem with this entry is that it feels incomplete. It this single track were made longer, it might gain somewhere to go to or come from.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:55 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

God when am I actually gonna be able to do my rankings

Hoping for tomorrow or Monday but we’ll see if that happens :(
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:41 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Spoiler: France
Did anyone else hear the start of France and get convinced that it was gonna be Hurt?

Though despite the bamboozle I really liked that entry!
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:27 pm

Post by Equinox »

I have a handful to which I haven't listened yet on account of moving. I am hoping to get them done by Tuesday, but it may be one of those things where I hope I beat toolenduso to the punch. :shifty:
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Not related to the song contest directly, but remember this?
In post 111, Scigatt wrote:
Hiraki wrote:yeah, i've been trending to the discover weekly playlist on spotify. it took a solid few months before it got anything super good but now there's bangers every week that are on my playlists. this is one of those songs
My experience with Spotify was quite different. It immediately found 4 banger songs in a few weeks*, but then the rate slowed down. (Those songs were my submissions in contests 147, 149, 150, and 152. None of them broke the top 10.)

*It actually found 6, but one has already been submitted, and the other I don't feel like submitting.
It turns out I needed to check my 'let's listen to that later' playlist. Total bangers found have doubled.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:59 am

Post by Vi »

The day after submissions closed on this contest, a - no,
the
- FJ7X song I want to submit dropped. It's going to be a long fifteen contests.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:45 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due tonight at midnight Pacific Time!
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:49 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Oh shit this is today gdi
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:18 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: Jimmy want a rib! Jimmy want a steak! Jimmy want a piece of your chocolate cake!
France - Hua Chen Yu - Contra in the wild - 荒野魂斗罗: Well yes, this does sound exactly like Hurt to start off with. But it's not Hurt, and the singing and general energy in this song is a welcome departure from almost everything else in this contest so far. GOOD.
USA - Mick Gordon - BFG Division: Moar instrumetal, but this time it's video game music and it's 8 and a half minutes long. I kind of like the groove in this one. Definitely more than the other instrumetal song in here so far. Kind of an Acacia Strain vibe going on with it, actually. I kind of like this, but it's too long for what it is. Actually, I take that back. It makes sense for it to be this long as video game music. It doesn't make sense if you just treat it like a song. As a song, this should've been like half the length. Also I see eight-string guitars are now in vogue and I think Tosin Abasi should get all the credit for it. DECENT.
Canada - American Football (feat. Hayley Williams) - Uncomfortably Numb: Oh hey this band. I've heard of this band before. Don't think I've ever actually heard a song from them though. It's pretty! I like it. DECENT.
Anguilla - ROSALÍA - PIENSO EN TU MIRÁ: Pretty decent pop. Better than Camila Cabello imo, but I don't think I like it as much as Hua Chen Yu. DECENT.
Armenia - Kovacs - 50 Shades of Black: Fun and bouncy with notes of Bond and jazz. It'll get some points. DECENT.
Chad - Imminence - Infectious: I feel like this band should slough off the saggy emo parts of their music and just go whole-hog on the heaviness. The softer parts of this, including the chorus, just don't work for me. There's something off about them. That said, I like the vocalist overall and I do like the heavy bits. DECENT.
New Zealand - Kodaline - All I Want: Sadboi version of the Camila Cabello song from earlier. And just like that song, it's aight. I like the stompy bits later on. DECENT.
Seleucid Kingdom - Camila Cabello - Consequences: Good singing, all right composition. DECENT.
Ireland - Sidney Gish - Sin Triangle: Quirky, fun and slightly charming. Will probably get some points from me. DECENT.
Norway - KEiiNO - Roar Like A Lion: It's not my cup of tea and it's kind of cheesy, but if I were going off the first three songs this would be my top pick. The chanted vocals and "tribal" drums are cool. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 am

Post by Natirasha »

Spoiler:
The Netherlands(Sven Wunder)--It needed to go a little more somewhere and not just be theme music
Isle of Man(All Time Low)--Kinda generic pop-punk
Norway(KEiiNO)--This was prretty hilarious. The rap support really sold it to me, I was just like what. Love it.
Latvia(Shinji Hosoe)--boy this sure is background vn music at least submit Umineko if you're doing this lol.
Estonia(CombatPlayer)--This one was doing some interesting stuff at least.
Hinamizawa(CunninLynguists)--One of my friends told me to listen to this as part of my ongoing 2010s hip hop project and goddamn, Kno is one of the best beat producers in the business now, and this is imo his best beat. The lyrics themselves are a little silly but also great. Just some seriously good electronica-rap.
Ankh-Morpork(Therapy?)--This almost sounded like a cover.
Flavortown(ERRA)--The first half was better.
Seleucid Kingdom(Camilla Cabello)--Was this a song?
France(Hua Chen Yu)--Something good!!
Anguilla(Rosalia)--Rosalia is okay even if her music isn't my thing.
Llanowar(FamilyJules7x)--This was some solid bgm. Necrodancer has a good soundtrack so it makes sense.
Nepal(Haruka Shimotsuki)--See, this is good vidya music!! Nothing like some old school jrpgs to really get it.
Ireland(Sidney Gish)--hmm very early-00s sounding singer songwriter lady here that's fine though
USA(Mick Gordon)--My hot take is that the new Doom ost isn't that good.
Monaco(Avicii)--F
Iraq(Chon)--I don't have anything to say on this one.
New Zealand(Kodaline)--Just the worse, actually.
Central African Republic(Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel)--Old music can be okay sometimes.
Poland(Saint Motel)--An oasis in the desert of this contest.
Armenia(Kovacs)--Really mining that Amy Winehouse vein, but its good so its fine.
The Underground(Toby Fox)--One day I'll play Undertale but this song is good.
Chad(Imminence)--So glad this didn't end up being black metal, I was worried from the cover.
Niger(Bombino)--This was a little too guitar wankery for me but it was fine.
Indonesia(J Dilla)--idk I would have like to see where this goes but its a minute long so I was denied.
Canada(America Football)--I've been told these guys are really good but maybe its just a /mu/ thing since this isn't it.

Awful, genuinely awful contest.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

lol literally every contest I've ever participated in has had a bunch of people saying how shitty the contest was. ya'll are real fucking negative about things that literally only exist for your enjoyment and/or edification.

That being said hooooooo boy that was a lot of video game music.

Spoiler: As in other contests, I'll say some things I liked about the songs. I don't really see the point in being a dick about things other people are sharing with me.
Netherlands - I really enjoy the different sounds here. Kind of fusiony which I always find fun. feels like the song never really lands though. 6/10

Isle of Man - This was my entry. Obviously I liked it. It's a fun, tight, pop-punk song with strong production.

Norway - I really, really, really enjoyed this. I liked the studio version better because it's cleaner and better performed (obviously). Something that's neat about this is that rather having a normal construction it has like, zones of sound that it switches between instead of sounding like a verse-chorus-etc structure with normal harmonic sequences. Always fun to hear something different. Also the chanting is a good juxtaposition with the electric elements. 8/10.

Latvia - Video game music is always going to have a ceiling for me because it's not really meant to be heard in isolation and is usually repetitive and not very tune-y. Also in older VGM the sounds were limited to the hardware. I like this because it leans into being instrumental electronic music. It's nice, energetic background music. 3/10.

Estonia - More video game music! This one is closer to something I'd enjoy on its own simply because I like the sounds more and it's constructed more like a power ballad than an EDM tune. 4/10

Hinamizawa - For me, this song really works well during the rap-vocal sections. I'm not a huge fan of the combination of the backing track and the regular singing. Something about how those two sound together just doesn't work for me. 6/10

Ankh-Morpork - Hell yeah 90s rock. Listen to those tinny drums :lol:. That really takes me back. The only thing I don't love about this is the rhythm guitar in the choruses. Feels like it belongs with a different singer. Competes too much sonically. Overall this is fantastic, simple rock music. It's just a couple of simple ideas jammed together. 7/10.

Flavortown - The opening reminds me of Scale the Summit, a band I love. I wish this had more low end during the scream vocals but I really enjoy the sound they ended up with anyway. Makes the scream vocals be atmospheric instead of front and center. Overall I really enjoy this. 9/10.

Seleucid Kingdom - The atmosphere of this is great! The production with the (I think?) acoustic instrument patches is really good. I like how her voice blends in with the synth sounds. You're never going to fool people into thinking synths are real, so it's a neat trick to take a modern torch song and put a patch on the vocals to make them match the synths. 8/10.

France - Wow, this cat can really whistle! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the lyrics are doing a lot of the lifting here on emotional message? I think this is a good performance, musically speaking, but I'm not 100% sure what they're trying to communicate since I don't speak this language. 6/10.

Anguilla - She's got a nice voice. This is another one where I feel like I'm missing most of what I'm supposed to get from this because I don't speak the language. 3/10.

Llanowar - More VGM, but this time it's metal. It's fun, energetic metal. 4/10.

Nepal - More VGM! I like the choral parts. Well-written, clear, nice voices. 2/10.

Ireland - This is like if a manic pixie dream girl was a song. I really like all of the instrumental stuff. 3/10.

USA - More VGM.... the mood is great and I love the sounds. 3/10.

Monaco - There's a lot of things I like individually about this song. I'm not sold on the mixture, but I enjoy it moment to moment. 6/10.

Iraq - This sounds like a dystopian version of Classical Gas, Gentle Giant, Bach, lute music, and Rush all thrown in a blender. This is just fucking great. 10/10.

New Zealand - This song answers the question "what would Fleet Foxes sound like with a lot less production?". Apparently the answer is "pretty good, I guess?" 6/10.

Central African Republic - Mood. 7/10.

Poland - Yes. 8/10.

Armenia - I feel like I've heard a million versions of this exact song and I've loved every single one of them. I'm a sucker for the audio version of a dame with legs that go all the way up that's wearing a trench coat, smoking a cigarette, and probably killed her husband. 8/10.

The Underground - Hey look, more video game music. The music from Undertale and Deltarune was famously great, and this is no exception. 4/10.

Chad - I interviewed the guitar player for Genesis for my college radio show, and he told me that one of the ideas they were going for in early prog rock was making the listener question which instruments they were listening to by changing up their roles and playing with the timbre. I love the way they use violin here, I guess is what I'm saying. Blending it with the lead guitar is a really neat idea. I also really love how metal often juxtaposes the speed of notes with tempi that are actually pretty slow. This song does that well. I don't love that there's about a minute on either side that's basically just filler sound, but the middle is really great so I'll take it. 9/10.

Niger - Yes! This is fucking groovy. 10/10.

Indonesia - I saw people complaining that this song was so short. I think it's the perfect length. 7/10.

Canada - lol uncomfortably numb. what a great name. This strikes me as a song that probably hits you like a ton of bricks if you relate to the lyrics. I don't, so I like this as being some moody, gentle emo music. Absolutely love these singers, too. 6/10.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Post by Nahdia »

apologies in advance for not voting. i procrastinated and then underestimated the free time crunch. ill vote in the next contest even if cut to make up for it.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 67, Untrod Tripod wrote:As in other contests, I'll say some things I liked about the songs. I don't really see the point in being a dick about things other people are sharing with me.
fwiw, I did this for a while and people had a tendency to be like "tell me all of mine; it's funny" and I eventually gave in.

--

also since we're at deadline, yeah, there was :collusion: to flood this contest with video game music
we are now relearning that "good" for video game music operates on a different scale from "good" for music (although it wasn't too long ago that video game entries took first and second)
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Sorry guys - I'm not gonna be able to vote. Power is out here.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

As a change of pace, I really enjoyed this contest and ended up having to cut some songs I enjoyed!
Good work everyone!

Also, trying out a new style for commentary and I hope it looks good :)

Spoiler:
The Netherlands: Sven Wunder - HibiscusOoooo! What an intriguing start to this contest!
I really like the instrumentation and the varying intensities of the different parts kept me captivated the entire time.
I feel like I've played a game where this is featured and I have no clue if that's true or not but I think it's the right song for it.

Isle of Man: All Time Low - Trouble IsWhat is this, Alt-Rock? I never know how to classify Rock and Rock-adjacent songs.
Regardless, this is exactly the style I like and I really enjoyed the song! It made me lightly think of Marianas Trench and that is a huge plus to it!

Norway: KEiiNO - Roar Like A LionAnother song with an intriguing entrance!
Oh, the vocals just went from Dolly Parton to Fergie in seconds WTF!
I actually really like so much about this, from the chanting to the

Latvia: Shinji Hosoe - QHmm...this sounds like it's from a scary level of a vidya and I'm totally not great with scary levels in vidya.
Like I can feel an anxious tension increasing in my body the more this progresses. Especially this highly stripped down midsection. Do not like!
For reference, I couldn't have the sound on in Lavender town when playing the original Pokemon games because the music was too much for me.

Estonia: CombatPlayer - TerminusOkay so I have no clue what this is from (yes I can read, I mean I am unfamiliar). But being called terminus, I got a crazy mental story from this piece!
I'm picturing a young lady on her death bed after some tragic accident, her life fading with the distortion at the beginning. As she starts to close her eyes, it goes to a flashback of her best friend, who is there at her side holding her hand, and launched into flashbacks. Happy, good memories that turn into tragic as she starts to fade. It flashes back to the room with her fighting for that last breath, and they lock eyes. She smiles her last smile knowing she's always had a friend, and then just like that, she is gone.

Fuck I almost made myself cry. This was beautiful!
Thank you.

Hinamizawa: CunninLynguists ft Tonedeff - Enemies with BenefitsPreemptive Lol at the band name. We once nicknamed a friend Cunning Linguist when we all had to have codenames for Frosh week at Uni. I didn't get the joke then tbh.
Not big on the feedback in the song's entry. Not big on the rapping either. I love some lyrics tho, like "in my phone like she's AT&T" :lol: Amazing!
ALso "Sexplay". WTF is "Sexplay"!? (Don't answer that) And onesie shaming SMH.

Ankh-Morpork: Therapy? - ScreamagerI found this pretty average and forgettable and their use of the single repeated note didn't seem to have any big effect despite it having so much potential as a musical device.
Overall Meh. Nothing I'd avoid but not something I'd listen to.

Flavortown: ERRA - SkylineI was just waiting for the throat singing or whatever that is called to come in. Sometimes you just know.
It's not bad as it fits into that genre but it's a no for me Dawg.

Seleucid Kingdom: Camila Cabello - ConsequencesI'm trying to decide on an ancient kingdom to use here and the Seleucids seemed like a good start. I'll stick with them for a bit I think!

As for the song, I adore it. I love her vocals. I love the video. I love the orchestral instrumentation. I love the imagery. It's just so good imo!
I see most of you disagree but that's fine.
I'm a sucker for the 3/4 time signature and I know I've mentioned this before. It just gives such beautiful potential to pieces and creates such a nice movement to them that I just want to dance to them. This song is no exception and I hope you can feel it too!

France: Hua Chen Yu - Contra in the wild - 荒野魂斗罗Wait is this a cover of Hurt by NIN/Johnny Cash?
Oh, it's definitely not! This is cool tho!
Yeah, this was really awesome! I love the vocals and the delivery is perfect!

Anguilla: ROSALÍA - PIENSO EN TU MIRÁOkay wtf is this video!?
Why are there vampires? Why are people bleeding out from the chest? Why are her PANTS SPLIT ALONG THE SEAMS!?!?
I have no many other questions, like who thought it was a good idea to put entire olives into a shotgun!?
But ya know what, I'm just not going to ask them. Not about the mounted bull bust or the weird cult she is in or where the truckers fit into any of this!
They obviously wanted a shock factor to this video and I mean, they drove into a wall at the beginning so I should have expected it. Kudos to that i guess.
They should have used a truck tire in the scene with the oranges tho because that was clearly the tire off of a Chrysler or something and I can't believe they tried to pass it off as a truck tire!
LMFAO they Texted the Credits at the end and this is CANADIAN!?!? I am at a loss for words. #Shook

Oh, right. I have to rate the song.
Average.
That video was a fucking ride though!

Llanowar: FamilyJules7x - Heart of the FlameOh, this is an easy no. Sorry but not my style.
It's not as abrasive as many though, so I appreciate that and maybe could enjoy it.
Yeah, this was very okay, which is saying a lot when you consider the source! I might actually give it points! :O

Nepal: 霜月はるか (Haruka Shimotsuki) - EXEC_VIENA/.Absolutely beautiful! Soaring and Uplifting!
I really want to know what language this is in because there are some words that were definitely French (ciel) and it had such a Latin feel to it while being obviously not-latin.
If anyone knows please enlighten me!

Ireland: Sidney Gish - Sin TriangleNow this is my style!
The personal feel of the vocals and the progressive flow of the instrumentals is such a nice mix and Iunno, I just like it!
Her slides into and out of the higher notes are really nice and I like the voiceover in the solo.

USA: Mick Gordon - BFG DivisionOkay so you know how I mentioned earlier in this contest that I don't like anxiety ridden songs.
And you know how I mention an awful lot that I don't like aggressive electric guitar.
Wellllllllll
This is 8 minutes long and I'm calling it at 4. Sorry.

Monaco: Avicii - The NightsOkay this is fun!!!
I love the sound and the drive and the chanting! And I lol'd at the accordion coming in. It actually fit so well!
Oh God what did they do to that poor car!? Why are you welding the doors closed!? Who makeshifts a convertible and then doesn't paint it?? Is it even a convertible if it is always top down?? And why would you drive it in the rain like that!?!? Simply foolish. Nice beat tho! I don't miss going to the clubs but I miss club music.

Iraq: Chon - Pitch DarkOh I thought the VR headsets were gas masks at first but then I realized this was from 2019 not 2020.
Very artistic with the weird time signatures and I believe some polyrhythms. Very good at keeping the unexpected unease of battle in the song's imagery.
I didn't like it on a listening level because of that though. It was a good art piece but meh.

New Zealand: Kodaline - All I WantVery strong Mumford vibes to start off with. This should be interesting.
There's the stomping! Perfect!
I like how calming this is, yet how much emotion is in it.
I was waiting for the increase in intensity in the inevitable instrumental break and it delivered beautifully!
The final note felt out of place and that's unfortunate because overall the song was awesome and it sucks to leave on such a weird note.

Central African Republic: Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)Yup, this is a classic style.
He sang it well. But while it wasn't bad it's not going to place. There's something odd in his voice that lost me. Like his nose is plugged or something.
Anyway, this was alright and might have placed in another contest but not this one.

Poland: Saint Motel - A Good Song Never DiesThis is good! His vocals are an awesome fit for it and I like the constantly changing parts of it! They keep it interesting throughout.
Nice builds and drops. I jive with it!

Armenia: Kovacs - 50 Shades of BlackOooooo I expected neither her voice nor the bossa nova beat! Great start!
Shit yes, this is perfect! The song lyrics just go so perfectly with the whole thing and the eerie styling is amazingly done!
Mixed with the vocals that are like a mixture of Amy Winehouse and Macy Gray and I am sold!

The Underground: Toby Fox - Field of Hopes and DreamsThis is a light and fun vidya song.
I'm not sure if that is synth sax or ottamatone and I am okay not knowing because I'm just going to assume it;s ottamatone and lol about it

Chad: Imminence - InfectiousOh no this is going to get hardcore isn't it...
Yup there it is. Tho the violin is a nice touch and it's actually not really what I expected. His vocals are nice and as mentioned, so is the violin!
It's just still a little much for me overall.
Gah, he went screamy at 2:30ish. That's what I was expecting and thought we had avoided. Oh well!

Niger: Bombino - AmidinineThis is a good "out driving" song.
I don't drive.

Indonesia: J Dilla - U-LoveMy record keeps skipping.
Those donuts look great though!

Canada: American Football (feat. Hayley Williams) - Uncomfortably NumbIs it safe to call this Owl City with depression?
That's not a jab btw, I like this. It's just the feel I got immediately!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:12 pm

Post by Natirasha »

In post 67, Untrod Tripod wrote:lol literally every contest I've ever participated in has had a bunch of people saying how shitty the contest was. ya'll are real fucking negative about things that literally only exist for your enjoyment and/or edification.
Eeh I mean I get where you're going but for me specifically I always say whether a contest was good or bad. Like, I literally said last contest that that one was pretty top-notch.
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Post by Equinox »

It's a little frustrating to see entire contests get raked -- not always by the same people -- over and over and over and etc., but y'all do y'all.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 71, Aristophanes wrote:Also, trying out a new style for commentary and I hope it looks good
we stan formatting experimentation.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided

Return to “General Discussion”