Newbie 2045: A Midwinter Night's Dream - End!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
safebet222
safebet222
Goon
safebet222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1400 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 am

Post by safebet222 »

A big thanks to FF... The flavor was really fun.

Also thanks need to go to the vets that played. I know you don't have to but it is great that you do play the newbies. Thanks again.
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1401 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:58 am

Post by quiet »

Lunar! Looks like Safebet was the one to put BB exactly on Cop, but that fake claim was all you!

Lunar played an amazing game, a game that probably only works once, but hey, I think they nailed it. GGs.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1402 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 1389, unwnd wrote:Ffery/Cabd, hope you enjoyed my IC-posting. Please let me know what I could do better to help newbies as that was always my goal in this game. I think if I took control a bit earlier we wouldn't be here? Though the learning experience (even for myself) is something I'll take away from this.
I did! You reminded me of my own forays into ICing games in 2013-2014. There was an almost automatic suspicion/paranoia associated with being an IC. Taking on that role unofficially garnered you some extra suspicion in this game, which you handled well.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1403 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

In post 1396, unwnd wrote:Lunar, I thought your behavior was
super
scummy. It got to the point where I told Cabd this day that I felt it was 'too scummy to be scum.' I think that's an approach that is valid, because you played in such a dgaf way that it made me question if well, you'd do that as scum. I'm curious: was this intentional on your part? Why did you decide to no kill? Clearly you had thought about things more than I anticipated and I want to know what you and Safebet were planning or thinking about in some of these instances.
The no-kill was because I didn't see any gain from killing anyone, but saw potential downsides. Not killing just maximized chaos, which is good for Mafia.
As for the claim - it was a bit of a risk, but not a super large risk. Had I claimed Vanilla Townie I probably would have died anyway. I think the key was not overthinking it. When I was put in a position of having to claim, I went for it. Safebet and I had discussed it a little bit prior to that, but in that moment I didn't even check the set-up table to see if my claim made sense, because I didn't want to take too long. I just hoped that I wasn't making a bigger mess than I needed to.
I did allow myself to be very lazy this game, especially on later days. The claim gave me armor, and until someone forced me to do something I was content to sit and watch from the sidelines knowing I wouldn't die. It didn't matter if people thought I could be Mafia, so long as no one was willing to risk killing me. If you look at my other Mafia game, everyone thought I was Town, and I only died because the Tracker tracked me.
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1404 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

For sure I owe props to safebet. He played super well which enabled me to coast through the remainder of the game.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1405 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am

Post by unwnd »

I am not going to blame Quiet/Mikul but I will say that it was quite difficult to get a word in as you two keep entertaining each other exclusively. For some reason, you both just happened to have the same style and seemed to be at ends with each other. I was..shocked even. Shocked that newbies could post at such volume. The amount of effort is impressive in it's own right, but it's good to just let the thread breathe. It also helps to just not think about the game for sometime. I feel that what happened with you (Mikul) is that you became overly obsessive about an outcome and then tried to work yourself into a frenzy. It was almost like you were anticipating situations that have yet to happen and spent a lot of time trying to prevent them. You should've just let the game naturally run it's course, you'd be surprised how much you would've found out just by that alone.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1406 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:04 am

Post by unwnd »

I'm proud of you Lunar honestly. Maybe that's wrong to say? It feels like a lot of time games end up where if someone loses that you have to feel bad for yourself, and not good for your opponent. I think this is poor sportsmanship. I know what I need to do next time but I'm also very happy that I was faced with such a challenge in the first place.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1407 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 am

Post by unwnd »

Oh and of course I'm proud of Safebet too so congrats go there too
Stop
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1408 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 am

Post by quiet »

Yeah, I recognize that unwnd. I wouldn’t mind getting told to be quiet-it’s right there in my name.

I’m going to try over the next few games I play to slowly figure out how to cut down and become more streamlined in what I say. It’s hard for me to know what to focus on, how to play well, where to push, so I think I default to just reacting and analyzing what I can. It ends up being not focused and distracting.
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1409 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

It certainly wasn't easy for us either. Town played really well and it was close to the very end. I was really hoping that yesterday Town would kill me. I think if safebet had led the push on me, then safebet would have easily coasted through today. But I survived today for the same reason I survived yesterday.
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1410 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:08 am

Post by quiet »

I... also had no idea how to react to a deathtunnel. I

Still don’t know what I’m supposed to do in that situation haha

Reading the PT was great. Town may have made this game hard on ourselves, but safe and lunar took full advantage.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1411 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:11 am

Post by unwnd »

In post 1409, Lunar Martian wrote:It certainly wasn't easy for us either. Town played really well and it was close to the very end. I was really hoping that yesterday Town would kill me. I think if safebet had led the push on me, then safebet would have easily coasted through today. But I survived today for the same reason I survived yesterday.
I almost had you D1 but ahh that dang doctor claim. Good thinking even if it's just 'look at the setup'. You said you wanted advice? Try not to rely too much on too scummy-to-be-scum because know that next game we're in if you're acting like this I'm just gonna eject you without hesitation.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1412 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 am

Post by unwnd »

That's a bit bare

Before I continue on my thought, what do you feel you could do better Lunar and what do you think scared you the most?
Stop
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1413 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:22 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

In post 1412, unwnd wrote:That's a bit bare

Before I continue on my thought, what do you feel you could do better Lunar and what do you think scared you the most?
Early on I'm not sure what went wrong exactly, but I had a really hard time picking it up and playing well later. I kept seeing everyone as obviously Town, which wasn't really an issue in the other game I played.
safebet222
safebet222
Goon
safebet222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1414 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:23 am

Post by safebet222 »

In post 1395, Mikul wrote:@safe you played this extremely well imo. For a 4th game it was a damn near masterpiece.
Thank you Mikul.
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1415 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:23 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

I think the SEs were pretty scary in their confidence. and The fact that they were sitting back meant I had nothing to go on in terms of gauging reactions. I think I should have just taken that as an excuse to be even more confident.
safebet222
safebet222
Goon
safebet222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1416 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:25 am

Post by safebet222 »

In post 1404, Lunar Martian wrote:For sure I owe props to safebet. He played super well which enabled me to coast through the remainder of the game.
Thanks Lunar. You kept me sane... There were a couple of times I didn't want to keep pushing and you snapped me out of it. Well done!
safebet222
safebet222
Goon
safebet222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1417 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 am

Post by safebet222 »

In post 1407, unwnd wrote:Oh and of course I'm proud of Safebet too so congrats go there too
Thanks unwnd... Thanks for playing the newbie queue.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1418 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:29 am

Post by unwnd »

In post 1413, Lunar Martian wrote:

Early on I'm not sure what went wrong exactly, but I had a really hard time picking it up and playing well later. I kept seeing everyone as obviously Town, which wasn't really an issue in the other game I played.
Yeah that can be really difficult as scum. You start thinking 'well, I can't push this because they're just so town.' I'll admit, even now I hesitate pushing on town because I'm afraid if I come at it wrong it'll be my head. Your confidence in that regard to reads was good, but I think you should mesh with that unsure/inquisitive townie vibe that your other game I looked at seemed to have. The doctor claim really did you a ton of favor because I was reading your play like 'I'm the doctor so I don't have to do much.' Games like that won't always come around though, so my best advice to you as scum is to try and hone into your sensibilities. It's good to display town confidence (as scum), but at some point people are gonna wonder where you're getting it from yeah? That's where faking your town motivation to find out the answers can come into play. It gets easier the more you try it, so don't be afraid to attempt different things as scum.
Stop
safebet222
safebet222
Goon
safebet222
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1419 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 am

Post by safebet222 »

I'd love to get advice from any of you as well. I think that D3 was a bad day for me. I didn't understand the full mechanical ramifications of putting my vote down on lunar when I did. I also thought I nearly scum slipped at one point.
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1420 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:31 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

In post 1418, unwnd wrote:
In post 1413, Lunar Martian wrote:

Yeah that can be really difficult as scum. You start thinking 'well, I can't push this because they're just so town.' I'll admit, even now I hesitate pushing on town because I'm afraid if I come at it wrong it'll be my head. Your confidence in that regard to reads was good, but I think you should mesh with that unsure/inquisitive townie vibe that your other game I looked at seemed to have. The doctor claim really did you a ton of favor because I was reading your play like 'I'm the doctor so I don't have to do much.' Games like that won't always come around though, so my best advice to you as scum is to try and hone into your sensibilities. It's good to display town confidence (as scum), but at some point people are gonna wonder where you're getting it from yeah? That's where faking your town motivation to find out the answers can come into play. It gets easier the more you try it, so don't be afraid to attempt different things as scum.
Yeah I should have just asked more questions I think, it would have gone a long way.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1421 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 am

Post by unwnd »

In post 1419, safebet222 wrote:I'd love to get advice from any of you as well. I think that D3 was a bad day for me. I didn't understand the full mechanical ramifications of putting my vote down on lunar when I did. I also thought I nearly scum slipped at one point.
It's kinda funny because you and Lunar played polar opposites on the same team. I was really impressed by you getting out there and interacting with town. You weren't afraid to defend your position and did the extra work to make it seem like you really believed in what you were saying. Where I caught you though is that it felt like all that talk sorta amounted to nothing. You were good at explaining yourself, but to what regard does it matter to your overall reads? Where you're going to vote? I stopped seeing that, and one of the things that really helped me was actually ISOing you and Illwei, where your Illwei thought just didn't make a lot of sense. I realized you were just responding to town's best interests, and you never seemed to add onto that if that makes sense. Just work on using that aspect of you being able to explain yourself to also convince town to make wrong choices. I remember D3 you were trying to tell me it was Lunar/Mikul but I simply didn't believe it because it just wasn't convincing.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1422 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:38 am

Post by unwnd »

I will take any criticism/advice by the way. Yes I'm experienced, but that doesn't matter to me. Please let me know if there's anything I could better, and I hope that my presence was an enjoyable one.
Stop
Mikul
Mikul
Goon
Mikul
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1423 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:05 am

Post by Mikul »

I don't know if you did it intentionally / unintentionally safebet but putting pressure on lunar in the way that you did was really big. Peta basically got poed because of it. There was 2 times were you didn't even have to push lunar and you did, in a way that you were certainly will to lynch him.

It set up a dynamic for iso where it just made no sense for you to push when you did. That was top tier scum play.
" I don’t believe in the gods’ existence. Man is the master of his own fate, not the gods. The gods are man’s creation to give answers that they are too afraid to give themselves."

- Ragnar Lothbrok
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1424 (ISO) » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:10 am

Post by fferyllt »

allez
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”