Newbie 647 - Over!!!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Malyss
Malyss
Goon
Malyss
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 am

Post by Malyss »

Vir4030 wrote:Good morning, everyone. Enjoy your morning, scum, because you may not see too many more.
Vote Vir4030

I have been mulling Vir's first post around in my head and have decided to put my vote back on him. He comes out of the gate trying too hard to flavor himself as town folk.
Crub
Crub
Mafia Scum
Crub
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Post by Crub »

Third Vote Count of Day 1

Malyss (1):
Vir4030
Avangor (1):
Katie
Lord Gurgi (1):
Kairio
Katie (1):
Avangor
OhGodMyLife (1):
Lord Gurgi
SecretAgentOrange (1):
OhGodMyLife
Vir4030 (1):
Malyss

Not Voting (2):
SecretAgentOrange, Alurin

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch.

Prodded : Avangor, Katie

Just a big reminder, please try to post at least once per real life day, the game will be a lot more enjoyable for everyone!
Moo?
OhGodMyLife
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
OhGodMyLife
Silent But Deadly
Silent But Deadly

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:30 pm

Post by OhGodMyLife »

AgentOrange, you take issue with my post, but unvote anyway. Are you afraid of taking a stand against me?

My vote has a happy home.
SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:50 pm

Post by SecretAgentOrange »

What, is it impossible to disagree with someone without thinking they're scum now? I said that two votes wasn't as serious as you were making it out to be, and clarified my reasons for voting you. And like I said before I did so, the reason that I took my vote off you was because my main reason for voting you in the first place was to both get you posting, and to start discussion. As both have happened, I saw no more reason for keeping my vote there.

To further explain, there was no real valid strong reason to suspect ANYONE in this thread as scum. Discussion helps the town. Moving out of the random phase helps the town. I want to do both of those things. Lord Gurgi had a vote on Vir, who had three votes on him. He then urged the town to be more active, and put a third vote on Katie, "just because". It was incredibly obvious to me that he was trying to get people to start posting by doing something that could be called into question as scummy. No one took the bait. He called you out on a minor offense. I felt that if no one had the balls to make a move that might appear scummy for the sake of sparking discussion, discussion would never happen. I put my vote there. As scummy as that may look, how could it possibly be an anti-town move? Any quicklynch that would result from having my vote there on such little evidence would CERTAINLY call me into question on the next day. I'm astounded that you'd think I'd be that stupid as scum.

But I notice that you've never once either attempted to defend yourself as to your lurking behavior, or respond to any of the points that I have made in my defense. You prefer to just attack me. That I think is a serious enough reason to put my vote back on you.

Vote: OhGodMyLife
Katie
Katie
Townie
Katie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Post by Katie »

Sorry about not posting. I really don't know what to offer.

Unvote
"Someone told me a long time ago to beware of strange, brooding men with cute, fluffy dogs."
SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Just posting to say that I've got a really busy weekend coming up, so I'll try as hard as I can to post actively, but I might not be able to post until Sunday. My apologies!
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

I have never caught an open contradiction in the first three pages before.
SecretAgentOrange wrote:A townie wanting to start discussion would put a 2nd vote on an active player, one who would be likely to respond. I kind of feel like putting a 2nd vote on an inactive player would be a much easier scum move. That is, if this weren't in the random phase. And since it is, I don't really think it means much.

I mean, you seem to be a little overly defensive here, but I think I'd prefer to chalk that up as in line with your initial reluctance to random vote in the beginning and not as a scumtell.
SecretAgentOrange wrote:What, is it impossible to disagree with someone without thinking they're scum now? I said that two votes wasn't as serious as you were making it out to be, and clarified my reasons for voting you. And like I said before I did so, the reason that I took my vote off you was because my main reason for voting you in the first place was to both get you posting, and to start discussion. As both have happened, I saw no more reason for keeping my vote there.

To further explain, there was no real valid strong reason to suspect ANYONE in this thread as scum. Discussion helps the town. Moving out of the random phase helps the town. I want to do both of those things. Lord Gurgi had a vote on Vir, who had three votes on him. He then urged the town to be more active, and put a third vote on Katie, "just because". It was incredibly obvious to me that he was trying to get people to start posting by doing something that could be called into question as scummy. No one took the bait. He called you out on a minor offense. I felt that if no one had the balls to make a move that might appear scummy for the sake of sparking discussion, discussion would never happen. I put my vote there. As scummy as that may look, how could it possibly be an anti-town move? Any quicklynch that would result from having my vote there on such little evidence would CERTAINLY call me into question on the next day. I'm astounded that you'd think I'd be that stupid as scum.

But I notice that you've never once either attempted to defend yourself as to your lurking behavior, or respond to any of the points that I have made in my defense. You prefer to just attack me. That I think is a serious enough reason to put my vote back on you.

Vote: OhGodMyLife
In the first post you say it is scummy to vote an inactive to start discussion. In the second post you say that all you were trying to do by voting a lurker was start discussion and that shouldn't be thought of as anti-town. While you come up with an explanation:
Unvote; Vote: SecretAgentOrange

Also, OGML hasn't been lurking at all, I was just hoping to catch someone for being overeager.

To start some discussion also,
Everyone: How do you feel about his posts?
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Alurin
Alurin
Townie
Alurin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Post by Alurin »

Here's how I see everyone so far, rated on a scale of 1-10, where 1=town and 10=scum.

SecretAgentOrange: 8. Her post #53 is a very scummy-looking defensive flail.

Vir4030: 7. His playing style reminds me of how I tend to look when I'm scum. He makes himself conspicuous but posts little of substance, is the best way I can phrase it. Kind of an intangible judgment.

Malyss: 6. This is an even more intangible judgment. I find her posts vaguely disquieting, couldn't say why.

Lord Gurgi: 3. Encouraging conversation, making good points.

Everyone else: 5. Have no read one way or another.

vote SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm

This is ridiculous. Of course he was lurking. Or at least, there was no way for me to assume anything but that he was lurking. He hadn't posted since Sunday. It was Wednesday. The mod was threatening to prod everyone. My general experience (which I can't specifically reference since it was exclusively in a game that is still going on) was in a much slower-paced game, I felt bad about my unintended lurking, and immediately posted. In this thread, not posting for a few days had been deemed inappropriate. Then, an IC points that one of the lurkers was an IC,
which to me had been supported by the mod's post
. My general experience (which I again can't specifically reference) also says that lurking IC's utterly destroys newbie games. Pardon me for listening to the mods and the IC's and doing what, at the time, I though was the best move to get this goddamned town talking. If I might have been overeager here, it's entirely because I'm sensitive on the topic. I hate inactivity. I felt horrible at the time about having to be threatened into posting. I feel that IC's shouldn't lurk. I did what I thought was necessary to make sure that wasn't happening. And it was page 2. There was literally nothing else to go on. Isn't that what you do at the beginning of the game? You vote for the first person you think is even mildly scummy just to get discussion going. Then, once there's actual discussion going on, you get to start actually looking for real scum.

The first post you have from me which you are calling a contradiction is taken entirely out of context, but I guess my wording there might have been unclear. I guess that might be my fault.

What I meant was that, if you're just randomly putting some player at a higher number of votes to start discussion, it's better to do it on an active player who is more likely to respond to you. Doing otherwise would be easier, and draw less flack, since the person wouldn't respond. I called it a "scum move" because he was accusing you of being scum, not because I thought that anyone who voted for a lurker was scummy. But since it was the random phase, neither is a big deal. I can understand how that might have been misconstrued as saying that it's always scummy to put a second vote on a lurker. That I don't agree with. Do you? Would any rational person?

Anyway, sorry if this post is garbled and unclear in any way. About to leave for work and don't have time to proofread, and I don't want to leave you guys waiting on me should I be unable to post for a day or two. I'll clarify when I get back should it be necessary.
Vir4030
Vir4030
Townie
Vir4030
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 pm

Post by Vir4030 »

Alurin wrote:SecretAgentOrange: 8. Her post #53 is a very scummy-looking defensive flail.
HA! Wait until you read #58.
SecretAgentOrange wrote:The mod was threatening to prod everyone. Pardon me for listening to the mods and the IC's and doing what, at the time, I though was the best move to get this goddamned town talking. I felt horrible at the time about having to be threatened into posting.
This isn't how your two posts looked to me, SAO. It also seems like a lot of retrospect hyperbole.
SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:42 am

OK, in retrospect, my last post looks a little overdramatic.

I woke up from my pre-night-shift nap, checked mafia, and was entirely taken aback by Gurgi's post. Felt I needed to reply before I went away for the weekend, typed up a hasty response, and went to work. Now that I've had five hours of moving boxes and a good hour of driving to think about it when I'm not all sleepified and flabbergasted, everything makes a lot more sense to me.

I was originally pissed off because OGML was not defending himself, ignoring my points, and just attacking me. Now, knowing that that's not a reasonable time to be considered "lurking" (which in retrospect should have been obvious to me) I can understand how I just looked to him like a stupid scummy noob that was beneath a serious response. I'll
Unvote OGML
and downgrade it to an FOS. While my original vote may have looked scummy and been a little ignorant, I support that the reasons that I gave in my defense in that post and others have been reasonable. I think it's mildly scummy that you would totally ignore all of that and not tell me that that wasn't a reasonable amount of time to consider lurking. It could be construed as trying to make a noob out into scum.

I maintain that, while I may have some idea of how mafia works, I have little to no idea how I can reasonably expect the timeframe to work. If a mod is saying people need to post more and an IC tells me someone is lurking, I'm likely to believe them.

Right now, I feel like you've all decided that I look scummy, and anything I say will just look like "Oh, well that's just what scum would say!" It's the very beginning of the game. I'd urge you to take a good close look at what's going on before voting me. At least, please don't lynch me this early in the game. If you lynch me now, you go into day 2 with next to no information or discussion with which to base your later votes. There are plenty of people still not posting.

To everyone: If you think I'm scummy, respond to the defenses I have provided. Do you believe these specific points or don't you? Just saying something like "haha your post looks scummy!" or "you're being defensive!" seems like hopping on a bandwagon to me. I've taken a step back from the situation to reevaluate it, and it's certainly helped my sense of perspective. Perhaps it will do the same for you. And if you still think I'm scum, I'd request that you not lynch me until we've had enough time to discuss multiple options, so that the town has enough information going into day 2 to make an intelligent lynch choice.

Now I'm going to sleep.
Malyss
Malyss
Goon
Malyss
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:36 am

Post by Malyss »

I am currently undecided about yet suspicious of Orange.

It seems possible that she is just eager to play and to last beyond one night in the game given that in her first game she was NK'd on night 1. I could understand her wanting to get the ball rolling with this game.
Vir4030
Vir4030
Townie
Vir4030
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:18 am

Post by Vir4030 »

SecretAgentOrange wrote: I maintain that, while I may have some idea of how mafia works, I have little to no idea how I can reasonably expect the timeframe to work. If a mod is saying people need to post more and an IC tells me someone is lurking, I'm likely to believe them.
I'm used to playing the game in IRC, which happens much faster. So, I completely understand where you're coming from here. From what I've seen in the forums, it looks like it's reasonable to expect Day 1 to last for weeks or maybe even months.

Maybe one of the IC's can give us a heads up of what we can expect? I wasn't really prepared for the whole "Random Voting" phase -- are there other things which usually happen, say, before a lynch?

I guess either way some of us will be figuring this out as we go.
Katie
Katie
Townie
Katie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 am

Post by Katie »

SAO's current post makes sense to me. I do not think you can defend yourself here without being accused of being scummy. But I still have not decided if I think she seems scummy or not. I haven't paid much attention to the older posts, so I have to go back and check them again.
"Someone told me a long time ago to beware of strange, brooding men with cute, fluffy dogs."
Alurin
Alurin
Townie
Alurin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:57 am

Post by Alurin »

unvote, vote Avangor

Lynch the silent ones.
Kairio
Kairio
Townie
Kairio
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:01 am

Post by Kairio »

As much as I think that SAO's older posts look scummy, I actually think that she's telling the truth as far as her current post goes. We all should remember that we're all relatively new here and are still trying to get to know how the game works, seeing as that's the point of having newbie games.

I honestly feel like I'm going to
unvote
, seeing as mine was one of the only random votes left, and I think we might be fully out of the random vote phase by now. Not sure who I'd like to vote for, I'll have to take a look at the entire topic when I have a little bit more time. :)
Vir4030
Vir4030
Townie
Vir4030
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:30 pm

Post by Vir4030 »

SecretAgentOrange wrote:Right now, I feel like you've all decided that I look scummy, and anything I say will just look like "Oh, well that's just what scum would say!"
Oh, well that's just what scum would say!

I actually find it very difficult to find scum out of the current bunch. We don't really know anything about each other, and most people's posts are rather short.

SAO's behavior could be a scumtell for some players, and not for others. Because I don't know SAO, it's hard for me to say.
Alurin wrote:Indeed, that was an interesting reaction.
I would like to ask Alurin to provide more detail here. What was so interesting about the reaction to your initial vote?
Alurin
Alurin
Townie
Alurin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:51 am

Post by Alurin »

Vir4030 wrote:
Alurin wrote:Indeed, that was an interesting reaction.
I would like to ask Alurin to provide more detail here. What was so interesting about the reaction to your initial vote?
With that move I drew more than 5 posts reacting to it, from 4 different people. Information, my friend, information!
Alurin
Alurin
Townie
Alurin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:58 am

Post by Alurin »

And speaking of information, let's have some more, people:

So far, who do you think is scummier:

1) SecretAgentOrange, or Alurin?

2) Malyss, or Vir4030?

3) Kairio, or Avangor?

4) Katie, or OhGodMyLife?

5) Lord Gurgi, or...shit, odd number of players.

OK, so Lord Gurgi's the wildcard here. Plug him in to replace your own name in whichever pair it appears.
Malyss
Malyss
Goon
Malyss
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:32 am

Post by Malyss »

1) SAO more than Alurin, even if Alurin thinks that I seem "vaguely disquieting." Granted, SAO may just be over eager to get going with the game and I can understand that.

2) Vir4030 more than Lord Gurgi. I still stand by my observation of how Vir4030 came out of the gate with strong pro-town flavor in his first post. Given the current discussion of SAO and such, I am curious as to why Vir has kept his vote on me even though voting is starting to come out of the random stage and he stated that he "randomly [chose] the most evil-sounding name."

3) Kairio or Avangor? I do not feel as though I've seen enough from either of them to get a good feel for them.

4) Katie or OGML? Katie hasn't said too much as of yet. I don't have a good feel for her at the moment. OGML - I'm undecided at the moment.
SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 pm

OK, I'd like to apologize again for the temporary leave of absence there. Crazy weekend. Checkin' in so's you all know I'm here and going to do a reread right now. Expect another post within the hour.
SecretAgentOrange
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
SecretAgentOrange
Townie
Townie

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:02 pm

OK, first, I'm just going to say that I'm going to stop defending myself now and move on to scumhunting. If you have any unanswered questions for me, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

1) LordGurgi, or Alurin? Both players as of now are both looking pretty pro-town to me as both are very involved in starting discussion. I'm going to say that at the moment, Gurgi looks more pro-town, as I really don't think a scum player would do a gambit like he did.

2) Malyss, or Vir4030? Both new players. Malyss has a bit of a funny way about her posting. She doesn't post much, with short, sometimes vague posts, but she posts often. She doesn't have very strong reasons for her votes (like with Vir's 'trying too hard to be town' first post), but it's not like she's bandwagoning, so I can't see how that would be harmful. I'll have to wait a bit to get a good read on her. Vir is interesting in that he is both experienced with mafia in general, and new to forum mafia, which will be important to take into account when figuring out if something is a tell or not. He's had no anti-town behavior that I can spot. He's been posting frequently, posting original opinions, getting involved in discussion but keeping back and analyzing. I'm getting a bit of a town read now, as he was able to go between calling out my scummy behavior, calling out the behavior of those attacking me, calling out my behavior, and perhaps understanding my behavior. That's the actions of a person who is honestly trying to puzzle something out, not mafia looking for a quick lynch. So if I have to pick, Malyss is more scummy than Vir to me.

3) Kairio, or Avangor? I really can't say. Both have been very lurky.

4) Katie, or OhGodMyLife? It's hard to judge here. I don't have much to go on with Katie, as most of her posts have been something along the lines of "I don't know". And it's always hard to compare an experienced player to a newbie, as if OhGodMyLife were scum, he'd be much better at hiding it. I've already voiced my opinion on OhGodMyLife earlier. Mild scum read, as he really didn't attempt to correct me on the whole lurking thing or address my arguments directly. At this point in the game, any reads I have on anyone are pretty mild. So yeah, both have non-serious, mild scummy points.

That's all for now. For those of you who haven't been posting too much, get some stuff out there so we can get a read offa you. Peace!
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Alurin wrote:1) SecretAgentOrange, or Alurin?
SAO, purely because when pressured, she did respond with less than reassuring answer. Townie read on Alurin for these questions, it's something at least.
Alurin wrote:2) Malyss, or Vir4030?
I am more suspicious of Malyss, because she has a tendency (it would seem) to say she has suspicions, rather than what they are. Vir4030 seems like an eager/crazy townie.
Alurin wrote:3) Kairio, or Avangor?
Absolutely Avangor here, he has picked up his prod (I assume) and still has not posted. Kairio is guilty, however of no-content posts. Pretty high on my suspicions list, because it's not hard to find someone to be suspicious of.
Alurin wrote:4) Katie, or OhGodMyLife?
OGML, post more, plzkthx. I do not like Katie much either, considering that 60% of her posts are "I'm newbie" posts, 20% random votes, and 20% defending SAO. Please say who you suspect.

General Scumlist:
1.SAO, it's thinning, but still quite suspicious, also because of that first defense. (OGML is effectively lurking now however)
2 Avangor, Last post 13th. 8 days ago... I would consider voting here.
3. OGML mostly because he's IRC and I would hope that he knows better than that.
4. Malyss, no suspicions stated, at all.
5&6. Katie and Kairio, have done basically about the same things the entire game, not contribute, pull newbie card.
7. Alurin, this list.
8. Vir4030, Seems eager townie, but just barely.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Kairio
Kairio
Townie
Kairio
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Post by Kairio »

Hey guys! I'm really sorry about being so lurky... I really wasn't sure how often to post to not appear lurky, and as far as the no-content posting, I really would rather not post than be accused of bandwagoning or not add anything to the conversation. I'll try to post more now! :D
1) SecretAgentOrange, or Alurin?
Ummmm... I find both to be scummy. Alurin more for avoiding the question and then posing these questions to all of us as to whom we find more scummy, and then not answering the questions? That seems like he's trying to get somebody in trouble while not getting himself in trouble. That seems odd to me. And as far as SAO goes, I can see two reads on her: either overeager to get this game going (which I'm sure everybody can understand and relate to) or scummy. Now, I'm more inclined to lean towards the overeager. However, not going to discount SAO as scum. I'm going to say that Alurin is the person who I think is more scummy.
2) Malyss, or Vir4030?
Ummmm... well, Malyss has just been kinda socially awkward for me. What I mean by this is that I'm willing to say that she's just not sure how to go about this as far as writing style goes and as far as trying to not be suspicious and still hold people accountable for scummy behavior. Again, this is something that most of us newbies can relate to. Vir4030, on the other hand, has been very good about his tone and those other things, but no one seems to suspect him of being scum. If he is, he's doing a very good job of not casting suspicion upon himself. A far as scumminess goes, I'm actually going to say that I think Vir4030 is the scummier.
3) Lord Gurgi, or Avangor?
With Lord Gurgi, again, I get kind of a good dodgy scum read, if he is. However, as far as Lord Gurgi, I don't think he's scummy, and he's not really high on my list.of scumminess. Avangor, also, I don't really get a read on, only because he like never posts. So, I'll give this to Avangor even though neither of them gives me much of the scummy feeling.
4) Katie, or OhGodMyLife?
Katie, as I also am, is guilty of the lurky-no-content posting. And I completely agree with Gurgi when he says that she's been posting random votes, posts defending SAO, and "I'm a newbie" posts. And OGML has also not really posted enough for me to get a read. However, as OGML is an IC I will give this to OGML as scum.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Kairio wrote:With Lord Gurgi, again, I get kind of a good dodgy scum read, if he is. However, as far as Lord Gurgi, I don't think he's scummy, and he's not really high on my list.of scumminess.
That seems to contradict to me, which do you mean?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”