Shell Game (Day 3)

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(14+ players)
. Signup Threads In Queue Forum
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1025 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 pm

Post by morph the cat »

Nobody gonna grab that eh? Then me.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: It/Its

Post Post #1026 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1023, morph the cat wrote: Oblivion do you have any questions for us?
It is very interested in picking your brain, yes. The issue is it doesn't know where to begin. Can you... hmmm perhaps with a mental modeling check.

Do you agree with Crab's interpretation of you?
This is the law, written in the stars and seeds: in the end, all things must fail. They are old as the stars.
But not older.

And you, who have your human heart again, know all their secrets still.
This is the truth you will use to break them, to rend chains apart and set their prisoners free:
no one else has ever loved this way before.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1027 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1019, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 985, Oblivion wrote: There is a lot to dive into here, but this post has a very interesting mentality. It is going to take a few guesses which have every possibility to be wrong, but you come across as paranoid or afraid here. How can it explain... like if you were staring down the barrel of something you have a healthy fear and respect for arguing that another thing in the distance isn't being given enough respect or concern for its threat either?
I have no idea what you are saying here, at least in how it relates to me?

My approach to Morph started at mild suspicion at ffery's response to pooky's, but wanted to get them to talk more about that reaction before making that obvious, with a lighthearted / inquisitive tone for .

When ffery first sidestepped the question, I decided to make it more direct that I thought that her answer could prove valuable to me, to pivot us back to my question .

When she sidestepped again, I realized that I was not getting the answer that I wanted, and so I decided to just lay some of the foundation of why I started asking questions to force a dialogue.

Her response was to keep asking me probing questions about what I was getting at. At that point I figured I simply wasn't going to get a straight answer, so I laid it out there that I thought it might mean she was scum .

And then cabd and ffery both promptly declared me town, and ffery gave me a straight answer (although a fairly unsatisfactory one) .

I realized that she had uno reverse carded me, and even though I had started the conversation trying to get a better feel for her alignment, her entire focus during that conversation was to gauge the thoughts behind my line of questioning to determine my alignment. And she is the one who got what she wanted.

After thinking about it for a while, I ended up thinking that that seems like a town mindset, because it looks like she was more worried about divining my alignment then she cared about how I read her at any stage of our dialogue.
Can you elaborate on what your mental model of Morph and Pooky as players are is? For reference, that is simply how you view their playstyles, capabilities, talents, failings and such, and your confidence level in being able to interpret them for a correct result a % of the time with this knowledge.
This is a fairly loaded set of questions, that I don't really know how to answer, other then to just say that I think all three are really good players, as both alignments.
You truly don't understand what it is asking? Of course it's loaded, it intended for it to be loaded. The goal was that you think. It... mmm.
This is the law, written in the stars and seeds: in the end, all things must fail. They are old as the stars.
But not older.

This is the truth you will use to break them, to rend chains apart and set their prisoners free:
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1028 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1022, morph the cat wrote: Essentially....

I've tasted the sweet nectar of a living deAAAthy masonry, and the second chance is just as addicting.
It does tend to hasten the dethy's end though.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1029 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1026, Oblivion wrote:
In post 1023, morph the cat wrote: Oblivion do you have any questions for us?
It is very interested in picking your brain, yes. The issue is it doesn't know where to begin. Can you... hmmm perhaps with a mental modeling check.

Do you agree with Crab's interpretation of you?

Generally, I do. And I think the interpretation is believed to be accurate, which for my purposes is more important than the accuracy itself.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #1030 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:04 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 1027, Oblivion wrote: You truly don't understand what it is asking? Of course it's loaded, it intended for it to be loaded. The goal was that you think. It... mmm.
I think I could only answer your question, as asked, succinctly if I had a very rigid view of other people's play.

And because I do not have a short succienct way to encapsulate "their playstyles, capabilities, talents, failings and such" for all three people in question, I would end up writing essays if I actually attempted to give you an answer that feels satisfactory to me for the question asked.

So: yeah "I think all three of them are really great players" is the best youre gonna get with such an open ended question.
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas
marcistar
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #1031 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:04 pm

Post by marcistar »

In post 998, Firebagel wrote:
In post 992, marcistar wrote:
if someones frustrated do you think its more likely to be scum or town

(anyone respond to this)
Probably largely dependent on the person and the situation; I know people can townread frustration easily but that can be dangerous.
Well im a bit frustrated at not being listened to, and I know klick is as well but im not sure if thats genuine on their end or?
In post 1011, morph the cat wrote: @5 person hood, can ideally two of you independently ask the mod if your sanity flips on death, and report back?
he says no sanity
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1032 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by morph the cat »

My kingdom for an entire Lukewarm written essay on our play.
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: It

Post Post #1033 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by Hermit Crab »

In my defense, it’s hard to amass a conglomeration of thoughts into one question lest I turn into she of the inverted readslists.

Pedit:
That, it’s kinda hard to dilute all the raw information into short terms.
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1034 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by Hermit Crab »

In post 1032, morph the cat wrote: My kingdom for an entire Lukewarm written essay on our play.
I’ll throw in my kingdom as well.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1035 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1024, morph the cat wrote: Well, WE have. Spay was inside of it, I was outside of it but we linked up and had a romp of an adventure along with her three bestest friends.
two best friends and a towel.
Firebagel
Firebagel
she
Goon
Firebagel
she
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she

Post Post #1036 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:06 pm

Post by Firebagel »

In post 1020, morph the cat wrote: The scum in the deathy has to play a shell game where they have to pick a faked alignment, and stick to it. While constantly trying NOT to be narrowed down into a 1v1 vs whoever actually has their assigned sanity.

This plays out like the mafia in the deathy is going for a shell game, they want to last as long as possible with misdireciton and ambiguity. The more sleights of hand and "mist" you can get away with, the better your long term odds, but in the end you WILL die, so you're playing for maximum chaos agent while alive knowing you cannot endgame.
I dunno, playing a game you're doomed to lose in spite of your misdirection sounds like the opposite of a shell game to me.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0428.html

Yeah I can't resist the chance to link to Order of the Stick, fite me. :P
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas
marcistar
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #1037 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:07 pm

Post by marcistar »

i tr loke i think
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1038 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1037, marcistar wrote: i tr loke i think
Welcome to 25 pages ago!
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1039 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1030, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 1027, Oblivion wrote: You truly don't understand what it is asking? Of course it's loaded, it intended for it to be loaded. The goal was that you think. It... mmm.
I think I could only answer your question, as asked, succinctly if I had a very rigid view of other people's play.

And because I do not have a short succienct way to encapsulate "their playstyles, capabilities, talents, failings and such" for all three people in question, I would end up writing essays if I actually attempted to give you an answer that feels satisfactory to me for the question asked.

So: yeah "I think all three of them are really great players" is the best youre gonna get with such an open ended question.
And if it said the essay would be massively helpful? It... well, frankly it would have been happy with abbreviated versions but if you can only do it as an essay it would read and digest that essay happily.

The manner in which it plays mafia is to attempt to understand the whole of a player and then utilize that knowledge to temper expectations and poke at outcomes. If it can't understand a player, it will struggle to read them. It likes seeing how other players view other players not simply because it gives a somewhat unbiased view for it to then corroborate but also because...

The manner in which it is presented is indicative of alignment in some capacity for it, it thinks. How others think about other players is one thing but how you present another player? Even if you try to be neutral, that's a choice too, no?
But not older.

morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1040 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Post by morph the cat »

I just wish his thumb was better, because getting strips months apart is no fun, story is dragged out.
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas
marcistar
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #1041 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Post by marcistar »

thank you very much! my brain is very slow and only now catching up to this "obvious" speed.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1042 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1036, Firebagel wrote:
In post 1020, morph the cat wrote: The scum in the deathy has to play a shell game where they have to pick a faked alignment, and stick to it. While constantly trying NOT to be narrowed down into a 1v1 vs whoever actually has their assigned sanity.

This plays out like the mafia in the deathy is going for a shell game, they want to last as long as possible with misdireciton and ambiguity. The more sleights of hand and "mist" you can get away with, the better your long term odds, but in the end you WILL die, so you're playing for maximum chaos agent while alive knowing you cannot endgame.
I dunno, playing a game you're doomed to lose in spite of your misdirection sounds like the opposite of a shell game to me.

Doomed to die does not equate to doomed to lose. Especially as the scum in an embedded dethy.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1043 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:10 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1038, morph the cat wrote:
In post 1037, marcistar wrote: i tr loke i think
Welcome to 25 pages ago!
Okay, with this level of confidence you must have something in your read pool that is of interest.

Please provide your top 3 town and top 1 scum reads at this moment in time. It will accept any level of justification including gut, but it would like more than just the names.
But not older.

morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1044 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Post by morph the cat »

Sure, no problemo. Sync'd or off the cuff?
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1045 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1042, morph the cat wrote:
In post 1036, Firebagel wrote:

Doomed to die does not equate to doomed to lose. Especially as the scum in an embedded dethy.
You do make it sound like you disagree with our approach and would rather go for the big win of flipping a scum within the deathy.

This fits with how your personality was described. Is this accurate, or do you agree with its take?
But not older.

Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1046 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1044, morph the cat wrote: Sure, no problemo. Sync'd or off the cuff?
Off the cuff feels better, it thinks. Sync'd implies that you have time to collect yourself and make a decision which, while valuable if it was certain of your alignment, this is more to try and determine that than for your perfect solve.
But not older.

morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1047 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:16 pm

Post by morph the cat »

Town reads....

Marci, because this is just NOT how Marciscum handles the entire unraveling of this death info the main thread, ever.

Crabs, massive mindmeld.

Luke, see luke's recent post where he correctly lays out how he got shuffled and uno-reverse-carded.

Scumread, klick and sunflower. Due to the Deathy, this is an either-or scenario but we don't really think it's outside those two anyways.Klick is more my take, Sunflower is more Spay's take, we're evaluating both but currently voting Klick between the two.
Hermit Crab
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Hermit Crab
It
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1048 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 pm

Post by Hermit Crab »

She should sell me on that, I’m willing to hear her out.
marcistar
marcistar
Goodfellas
marcistar
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #1049 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 pm

Post by marcistar »

ngl anything that oblivion says goes over my head because some of it reads as if a bot wrote it.

Return to “Theme Park [Large Theme Games]”