Shell Game (Day 3)

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(14+ players)
. Signup Threads In Queue Forum
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1175 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

they expect me to read them correctly, so if they are town, they would expect town!me to get to a point where I think they're town, they would also expect scum!me to get to a point where I think they're town in order to obfuscate my alignment. They would not expect me to fake a scumread and push them because I'm too lazy for that shit.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: It/Its

Post Post #1176 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:51 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1173, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
In post 1170, Oblivion wrote: Why is this a truism? Like, you state it with authority but it doesn't understand why that is just blanket true?
because we've played a lot of games together and I am familiar with how they play town and scum
And because you've played so many games with them it's simply impossible for you to be wrong? Why would they expect you to be 100%
This is the law, written in the stars and seeds: in the end, all things must fail. They are old as the stars.
But not older.

And you, who have your human heart again, know all their secrets still.
This is the truth you will use to break them, to rend chains apart and set their prisoners free:
no one else has ever loved this way before.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1177 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:52 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1175, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: they expect me to read them correctly, so if they are town, they would expect town!me to get to a point where I think they're town, they would also expect scum!me to get to a point where I think they're town in order to obfuscate my alignment. They would not expect me to fake a scumread and push them because I'm too lazy for that shit.
It... what? What? huh?

It does not understand this logic remotely. How is it not possible you would misread them ever?
This is the law, written in the stars and seeds: in the end, all things must fail. They are old as the stars.
But not older.

This is the truth you will use to break them, to rend chains apart and set their prisoners free:
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1178 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:53 pm

Post by Oblivion »

Like, nearly every post from you that has anything to do with game elements appears to be carefully managing your expectations and thinking about the impact your words will have on the gamestate.

And in its experience scum is more likely to do that than town but the manner in which you approach DOING that is SO overt it feels like it might have been a playstyle thing.

That's its take.
But not older.

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1179 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:55 pm

In post 1174, Oblivion wrote: It felt like a deflection with humour. Like... you were aware you maybe should have picked up on something but didn't and so deflected with humour when from its assessment you are clearly precisely the type to notice things.
well I have two choices about how to interpret his comment towards me not thinking critically and "playing dumb".

The assumption here is that from my point of view I'm "not playing dumb" this is just how I am.

(1) He's joking, I respond with a joke.

(2) He's not joking, he's actually saying that the only way I could be this dense is if I'm mafia playing dumb- in which case if I'm town then he's straight up calling me dumb. I choose to believe my friend isn't calling me dumb and he's just making a jest.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1180 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 pm

In post 1177, Oblivion wrote:
In post 1175, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: they expect me to read them correctly, so if they are town, they would expect town!me to get to a point where I think they're town, they would also expect scum!me to get to a point where I think they're town in order to obfuscate my alignment. They would not expect me to fake a scumread and push them because I'm too lazy for that shit.
It... what? What? huh?

It does not understand this logic remotely. How is it not possible you would misread them ever?
ofc I can be wrong

I dont remember being wrong in the recent past so I expect I will be right.

I also expect them to expect I will be right.

Its possible I misread them and totally forgot about it, I don't have great memory and I tend to forget mistakes.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1181 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:57 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1179, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
In post 1174, Oblivion wrote: It felt like a deflection with humour. Like... you were aware you maybe should have picked up on something but didn't and so deflected with humour when from its assessment you are clearly precisely the type to notice things.
well I have two choices about how to interpret his comment towards me not thinking critically and "playing dumb".

The assumption here is that from my point of view I'm "not playing dumb" this is just how I am.

(1) He's joking, I respond with a joke.

(2) He's not joking, he's actually saying that the only way I could be this dense is if I'm mafia playing dumb- in which case if I'm town then he's straight up calling me dumb. I choose to believe my friend isn't calling me dumb and he's just making a jest.
this doesn't make a lot of sense to it as a duality of choices either. Why isn't 3) he thinks you're scum who intentionally missed that because you don't normally miss that and so is poking you on it, but there are worlds where you as town don't live up to the expectations of skill he has of you exist too?

Like, to it isn't it possible to have a positive interpretation of a player's skill and then be concerned when they miss something you attribute them as normally getting without having to call them dumb for missing it?
But not older.

Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1182 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:58 pm

Post by Oblivion »

Like much of what it is getting from this conversation is that you appear to look at things in black and white. If someone thinks you are talented and you fail, you view that as being dumb or being assumed to be as such, and not just a mistake. Townies make mistakes? Even the most skilled players make blunders. You wouldn't expect them to make those blunders and might misread them for it but they DO.

Isn't part of being scum doing things town you wouldn't do but making it seem like town you might? If you never make blunders there's no space to hide within so why... it doesn't understand.
But not older.

Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #1183 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Post by Lukewarm »

It... what? What? huh?

For this topic, I will attest that in exactly every game that I have seen both pooky and morph exist in, pooky has claimed to have a perfect read rate on morph.

Whether you think that it is a reasonable believe for him to have or not, this is a Pooky constant.

But I am gonna go to bed, and bow out from the larger discussion here.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1184 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1180, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
It... what? What? huh?

ofc I can be wrong

I dont remember being wrong in the recent past so I expect I will be right.

I also expect them to expect I will be right.

Its possible I misread them and totally forgot about it, I don't have great memory and I tend to forget mistakes.
Okay, but.

Yes, confidence in yourself is fine, you should expect your reads to be right but... the inverse of that, that another player should expect with 100% certainty that you will never ever ever misread them is... so weird?
But not older.

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1185 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 pm

In post 1181, Oblivion wrote: this doesn't make a lot of sense to it as a duality of choices either. Why isn't 3) he thinks you're scum who intentionally missed that because you don't normally miss that and so is poking you on it, but there are worlds where you as town don't live up to the expectations of skill he has of you exist too?
that is literally what choice (2) says
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1186 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1183, Lukewarm wrote:
It... what? What? huh?

For this topic, I will attest that in exactly every game that I have seen both pooky and morph exist in, pooky has claimed to have a perfect read rate on morph.

Whether you think that it is a reasonable believe for him to have or not, this is a Pooky constant.

But I am gonna go to bed, and bow out from the larger discussion here.
!!!

that's... insanity.
But not older.

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1187 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:01 pm

look I have high standards for myself

I fall short of them all the time.

but until I fuck up I'm not gonna believe I'm wrong about something I think I'm right about.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1188 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:01 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1185, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
In post 1181, Oblivion wrote: this doesn't make a lot of sense to it as a duality of choices either. Why isn't 3) he thinks you're scum who intentionally missed that because you don't normally miss that and so is poking you on it, but there are worlds where you as town don't live up to the expectations of skill he has of you exist too?
that is literally what choice (2) says
No... no it's not? In your choice 2 you assume he has to call you dumb or else he must be joking and in my choice 3 he is respecting your skill but also there are worlds where he misreads you as scum when town because you misread him too? Failure to Connect?
But not older.

Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1189 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:02 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

I may have skipped some of Pooky v Oblivion, but otherwise have caught up.

\o/
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1190 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:03 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1187, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: look I have high standards for myself

I fall short of them all the time.

but until I fuck up I'm not gonna believe I'm wrong about something I think I'm right about.
It isn't asking you to abandon your standards or confidence, but it is trying to understand your mindset here. This is unreal beyond belief. You're so confident you'll never be wrong that you have to assume the post from morph must be in jest else he would have to be calling you dumb? What?
But not older.

Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1191 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:03 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1189, Brian Skies wrote: I may have skipped some of Pooky v Oblivion, but otherwise have caught up.

\o/
Yeah, apologies. It thinks we're on a newer topic but it still isn't really sure if things are moved past.
But not older.

morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1192 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1189, Brian Skies wrote: I may have skipped some of Pooky v Oblivion, but otherwise have caught up.

\o/
Thoughts?
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1193 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:05 pm

his point is

"Pooky is mafia who is playing dumb because there's no way Town!Pooky would miss this."

so if I'm town and I missed it, the implication would be that I'm dumb.

I don't think he's actually calling me dumb here; I think it's a joke. that's why I respond with a joke.

I do not expect him to call me dumb for missing something in a game of mafia. I do not pay attention to detail and dutifully read every page I miss, I just log in and see what's popping.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1194 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:07 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1193, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: his point is

"Pooky is mafia who is playing dumb because there's no way Town!Pooky would miss this."

so if I'm town and I missed it, the implication would be that I'm dumb.

I don't think he's actually calling me dumb here; I think it's a joke. that's why I respond with a joke.

I do not expect him to call me dumb for missing something in a game of mafia. I do not pay attention to detail and dutifully read every page I miss, I just log in and see what's popping.
I...

It thinks it is starting to understand your mindset, but it can't grok it at all.

It can't really fathom the bolded line as a logical leap. It would go instead "My friend who knows me well thinks I am playing dumb on purpose to manipulate townies, but I know I'm town and just made a mistake/missed something. They only assume I'm playing dumb because they think I'm scum. If they knew my alignment as town, they would assume I made a mistake and not think I'm dumb".

Right?
But not older.

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1195 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

I don't understand what you can't fathom
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1196 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1195, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: I don't understand what you can't fathom
That your immediate assumption to being accused of playing dumb towards something (which would be an accusation of being scum because town wouldn't purposefully play dumb there) HAS to necessitate that your friend would be calling you dumb and so must be a joke, as opposed to having two world views

a: if scum, then playing dumb and probably has realized this

and

b: if town, then made an error in parsing something that they don't normally make which caused me to suspect them incorrectly.
But not older.

Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1197 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:15 pm

Post by Oblivion »

but that your friend would lean towards you being a really good player and not making that error frequently and so would assume we are in world a most of the time, so behave with that in mind.
But not older.

Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1198 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 pm

Post by Oblivion »

You really would leap to assuming your friend is insulting you before assuming they're making burdenful expectations of your play that are misinformed by a possible rare mistake from your side?
But not older.

PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1199 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:18 pm

I find the way the comment was phrased to be insulting if it was not meant in jest
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee

Return to “Theme Park [Large Theme Games]”