Newbie 694 (over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:52 am

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Xtoxm wrote:We missed you very much, Uri. We didn't do anything without in your abscene. We just sat around looking at each other glumly, waiting for your return.

I agree that the disussion about RV is unlikely to be very productive, but I felt the need to get my point across.
I agree with that, it isn't going to lead anywhere. Although, it does get somewhere when the votes start piling up on someone and then the hunting starts, but really this discussion could just go into MD.

Anyways, I believe we should start hunting a little more, yes?
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 am

Post by urielzyx »

can anyone suggest a way of opening up a productive conversation from here? or any leads from what we al(l?)ready saw?
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:01 am

Post by GIEFF »

My point about logic was this:

The mafia knows exactly who is town and who isn't, and so don't NEED to use logic - their votes are based on their knowledge of who the other team is.

The town DOES need to use logic, though - they don't have the information the mafia does. If someone cannot explain the logic behind a vote, then that person is likely to be mafia.

In what way is emotion useful, Xtoxm?
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:39 am

Post by urielzyx »

GIEFF wrote:My point about logic was this:

The mafia knows exactly who is town and who isn't, and so don't NEED to use logic - their votes are based on their knowledge of who the other team is.

The town DOES need to use logic, though - they don't have the information the mafia does. If someone cannot explain the logic behind a vote, then that person is likely to be mafia.

It is useful because when u can not pinpoint the best move for mafia/townie, u can only use logic to a certain(spelled right?) extent, also, using logic u may have a WIFOM every once in a while.
on the other hand, trying to judge if a person is telling the truth using ur emotions is more risky(because there r people who r more convincing and carismatic than others), but may be utillized with about the same chances of an accurate guess in pretty much every situation...
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:43 am

Post by Xtoxm »

I think Uri responded to that question well, and better than I could have.

That's pretty much what i'm saying, it's just hard to put it into words.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Elennaro
Elennaro
Townie
Elennaro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Post by Elennaro »

Hey urielzyx, I'm sorry if it's a personal question, but could you explain why your religion means you couldn't post for a while? I'm not trying to attack you or anything, just interested.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

I'd just assumed he was going away, ie no access.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:46 pm

Post by ClockworkRuse »

So why doesn't scum need to use logic behind a vote? Wouldn't they have to use just as much to appear townie? The scum aren't just voting nilly-willy. They are going to have some form of logic.

Vote: ClockworkRuse

Discuss.
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Post by urielzyx »

ClockworkRuse wrote:

So why doesn't scum need to use logic behind a vote? Wouldn't they have to use just as much to appear townie? The scum aren't just voting nilly-willy. They are going to have some form of logic.

Discuss.
scum do use logic, but not to decide who to kill, only to decide the order...
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Post by urielzyx »

Elennaro wrote:Hey urielzyx, I'm sorry if it's a personal question, but could you explain why your religion means you couldn't post for a while? I'm not trying to attack you or anything, just interested.

Well, in our(jews) belief, and actually in muslim and christian belief to, God created the world in 6 days, and "rested" on the seventh, so he made the seventh day sacred, and so jews r supposed to rest on saturday, the thing is, that it is not really rest the way u would think about it, there r few(39) things that we r not allowed to do to "prevent" us from working(as inno writing, no building, no lighting fire etc). The reason this prevents internet access is that using electricity is also prohibited, as it derives from one of the 39 forms of work prohibited on saturday, we r allowed to use light, but not to put it on or off, friday evening u turn the light on or off and thats the way it stays for 25 hours.
militant
militant
Goon
militant
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:10 am

Post by militant »

ClockworkRuse wrote:

Discuss.
Well, you are voting yourself. At any rate you are trying to create discussion which I understand as a protown behaviour. What your possible motives for you to vote yourself still escape me though.
[b]Lady Astor:[/b] "Winston, if you were my husband, I should flavour your coffee with poison."
[b]Churchill:[/b] "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it."
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:26 am

Post by urielzyx »

I think his point was solely to create a discussion...

I don't thimk that anything that has to do with voting is going to be the discussion opener in this game...

can anyone think of something...
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:27 am

Post by urielzyx »

EBWOP: Can anyone think of something?
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:40 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Asking someone else to create discussion strikes me as silly. I'm not sure if it's scummy.

I will
Vote Militant

I think that last post sounds kind of like he's forcing himself to say something.
militant
militant
Goon
militant
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:55 am

Post by militant »

Xtoxm wrote:Asking someone else to create discussion strikes me as silly. I'm not sure if it's scummy.

I will
Vote Militant

I think that last post sounds kind of like he's forcing himself to say something.
I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind your vote. In Clockwork's post, he said discuss, that is what I was doing, I was posting my thoughts on Clockwork's actions. As I stated in the post I didn't really get why Clockwork did what he did which is why my post was kinda short.
[b]Lady Astor:[/b] "Winston, if you were my husband, I should flavour your coffee with poison."
[b]Churchill:[/b] "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it."
urielzyx
urielzyx
Townie
urielzyx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:50 am

Post by urielzyx »

militant wrote:
Xtoxm wrote:Asking someone else to create discussion strikes me as silly. I'm not sure if it's scummy.

I will
Vote Militant

I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind your vote. In Clockwork's post, he said discuss, that is what I was doing, I was posting my thoughts on Clockwork's actions. As I stated in the post I didn't really get why Clockwork did what he did which is why my post was kinda short.

I don't think he spoke about the length, I believe he ment that it looked like u had nothing to say and just posted something that was pretty obvious.

as to Xtoxm: I don't consider what militant did very scummy.
First of all, we were triyng to open a conversation and he may have simply been triyng to contribute even though he didn't have a lot to say.
Second of all, u should remember, this is a newbie game, and thus u can assume that militant is a newbie, that may be one of the reasons that he discussed the suggested discussion topic even with barely anything to say...
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:11 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Well, i'm not sure about the validity of your second point, but it is discounted anyway by the fact Militant has already played in several games, and is ranked goon.
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 am

Post by ClockworkRuse »

militant wrote:
ClockworkRuse wrote:

Discuss.
Well, you are voting yourself. At any rate you are trying to create discussion which I understand as a protown behaviour. What your possible motives for you to vote yourself still escape me though.
And why did you feel the urge to say this? Just because I said discuss?
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:52 am

Post by GIEFF »

Are the ranks under our handles based solely on post count? Or do the number of games played or won have an affect also?

And regarding our ealier discussion - no, the mafia do NOT use logic when deciding who is town and who is mafia. The mafia are already 100% sure of who the town and scum are. As you said, the "logic" they use is false logic; they make their decision and then try to cover it up with logic. It seems to me the best way to uncover scum is to find faulty logic.

The "emotion" aspect may comes with experience, but it isn't something I can rely on right now.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:54 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Post count solely.

Townsperson: 0-50
Goon: 50-100
Mafia Scum: 100+
Anything Else: 100+
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:00 pm

Post by hambargarz »

I agree, active lurking is scummy behaviour (as I learned in my last game)

Unvote

Vote: militant
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Unvote
Vote hambargarz

He isn't the only one actively lurking, so why Militant?
Elennaro
Elennaro
Townie
Elennaro
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Post by Elennaro »

Vote: RealityFan

I'm all for lynching lurkers. If we don't allow people to lurk, they'll post more, providing more information, and making the game more fun.

That's not to say I'd do a lynch right now, I just want to drive the lurkers out of lurking.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

I agree with Elen there as policy. However what I find in most games is whenever I attack someone for lurking, I get lynched for it. Aparantly it's scummy. Imo it's just piss annoying and adds to the problems of games before more inactive...
ClockworkRuse
ClockworkRuse
Goon
ClockworkRuse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Post by ClockworkRuse »

Xtoxm wrote:I agree with Elen there as policy. However what I find in most games is whenever I attack someone for lurking, I get lynched for it. Aparantly it's scummy. Imo it's just piss annoying and adds to the problems of games before more inactive...
Policy lynches only hurt the town. That could be why.

Also, it's only been about two or three days. Not everyone has the access that we do, so sometimes it just takes some patience.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”