mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Post by mrfixij »

ortolan wrote:Can someone explain to me why a random jokevote on oneself is any different to a random jokevote on somebody else? I'm curious.
The only time it is in your faction's best interests to self-vote is when playing as scum. Usually it's done when the scum is at L-1 and discussion is continuing. The scum will vote himself to cut off discussion, allow his team to get in a night kill and then disrupt town's momentum.

As a joke vote though, it's hardly different. The idea behind a random vote is to have a chance at landing on scum. If you vote for yourself, you're either not contributing to that chance or saying that you are, in fact, scum.

I don't like it, but I'm already voting for him, so there's not much more I can do.

-------------------------
Vote Count - Day 1 - As of Post 35

With 10 alive, 6 votes is majority.

Juls - 0 ()
orangepenguin - 2 (Spyrex, Juls)

ortolan - 0 ()
RealityFan - 0 ()
springlullaby - 1 (ortolan)
Ectomancer - 2 (orangepenguin)

vollkan - 2 (mrfixij, vollkan)

SpyreX - 0 ()
mrfixij - 0 ()
TDC - 0 ()

Not Voting - 4 (TDC, Ectomancer, springlullaby, RealityFan)
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Post by vollkan »

ecto wrote: I don't believe that I've self-voted, though I have asked the town to kill me in a very specific way before (worked out as I had asked and I won with the town)
So to repeat your question to yourself, why would you self-vote Vollkan?
ecto wrote: Now that we are aware of this mechanic, can you still justify your self-vote Vollkan? Since this mechanic wasn't stated prior to your self vote, include what you were thinking then, and what your thoughts are about it now. Is the move still valid?
5 people cast votes before I did. Like my vote, not one of those votes was backed up with any reasoning or justification.

In other words, you found something distinct about my vote. Obviously, it was the fact it was a self-vote that set it apart, as you yourself identified.

But...let's stop and think for a second - YOU are the one who is positing that there is something so unique about my vote that it, and it alone, requires an actual justification.

Thus, I'd like to hear from you as to why you think that self-voting is so special that it requires justification?

As for my reasons: I have learned over my time here that self-voting is one of the best ways to stir the pot. People have a tendency to leap onto it with presumptions and prejudices (ain't that so, Ecto :wink:), which means it provides a lovely springboard for discussion//
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Post by vollkan »

Cross-posted.
ortolan wrote: Can someone explain to me why a random jokevote on oneself is any different to a random jokevote on somebody else? I'm curious.
You, sir, are exactly on the money! :D (and, judging by your previous post, you are also from Aus - so that's doubly good)
misterfixij wrote: The only time it is in your faction's best interests to self-vote is when playing as scum. Usually it's done when the scum is at L-1 and discussion is continuing. The scum will vote himself to cut off discussion, allow his team to get in a night kill and then disrupt town's momentum.

As a joke vote though, it's hardly different. The idea behind a random vote is to have a chance at landing on scum. If you vote for yourself, you're either not contributing to that chance or saying that you are, in fact, scum.

I don't like it, but I'm already voting for him, so there's not much more I can do.
I completely disagree.

Yes, scum often do it at end of day to guillotine discussion. That's irrelevant here.

As for joke votes, things are a little different. Take a utilitarian analysis:
- My self-voting has negligible risk of causing a quick-lynch (since it was only the second vote for myself) (in fact, in this game it was no risk at all :P but that isn't relevant, I know)
- My self-voting has a very good chance of causing some rats to come out of the woodwork to attack me. Being a player who hunts scum through argument, that's highly desirable from my perspective.
- In other words, minimal potential cost and a high likelihood of benefit. Thus, it is a good action for town (and especially town-vollkan)

The one objection I anticipate is "But, vollkan, what about the fact that people, including scum, might claim suspect you for self-voting and attach you on that basis?"
My answer: I accept that's possible. But that simply means the aforementioned argument will ensue. I am very confident in my ability to defend myself and, thus, my expectation would be that only scum or idiots would remain opposed to me at the end. Idiots usually show their idiocy in other ways. Meaning it will have a good chance of finding scum who play an obstinate and unreasonable argument.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Post by ortolan »

mrfixij I didn't think the idea of random voting was to try to "land on scum", more to see what reactions you get- i.e. scum may react defensively to your vote even though it wasn't serious etc., which then makes you wonder why they are so defensive.

Perhaps a random self-vote isn't that constructive when you're town, especially because it makes others suspicious of you, but I hardly think it can be considered a hanging offence by itself.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

mrfixij wrote:
ortolan wrote:Can someone explain to me why a random jokevote on oneself is any different to a random jokevote on somebody else? I'm curious.
The only time it is in your faction's best interests to self-vote is when playing as scum. Usually it's done when the scum is at L-1 and discussion is continuing. The scum will vote himself to cut off discussion, allow his team to get in a night kill and then disrupt town's momentum.

I've seen town self-vote just as much as scum, if not more. A lot of people vote for themselves, to put it simply.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Post by mrfixij »

ortolan wrote:mrfixij I didn't think the idea of random voting was to try to "land on scum", more to see what reactions you get- i.e. scum may react defensively to your vote even though it wasn't serious etc., which then makes you wonder why they are so defensive.

Perhaps a random self-vote isn't that constructive when you're town, especially because it makes others suspicious of you, but I hardly think it can be considered a hanging offence by itself.
I realize how my application of degree can be misinterpreted. I don't like the play in any situation. As it is, if I had to place suspicion on
edgeworth
vollkan, it would be extremely minor at this point. Were it later in the game, I'd consider a self-vote damning. As it is, with this game being rather light-hearted so far, I'm just expressing my distaste for the move in general, not necessarily voll's application of it. The part about having my vote on him already was tongue-in-cheek when I wrote it. As an afterthought, it appears significantly less so.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:43 pm

Post by vollkan »

orangepenguin wrote:
mrfixij wrote:

I've seen town self-vote just as much as scum, if not more. A lot of people vote for themselves, to put it simply.
You also win townie brownies for being reasonable. Tempered by the fact that you potentially just read what I had said :P
mrfixij wrote: I realize how my application of degree can be misinterpreted. I don't like the play in any situation. As it is, if I had to place suspicion on edgeworth vollkan, it would be extremely minor at this point. Were it later in the game, I'd consider a self-vote damning. As it is, with this game being rather light-hearted so far, I'm just expressing my distaste for the move in general, not necessarily voll's application of it. The part about having my vote on him already was tongue-in-cheek when I wrote it. As an afterthought, it appears significantly less so.
I don't care how "minor" a suspicion is. If you suspect me for something, you have to prove that it is scummy.

And,"I don't like it"/"distaste" is NOT an acceptable justification for suspecting something!

Also, how on earth can you justifying treating something as generally scummy without regard for the particular circumstances?
Rage
Rage
Goon
Rage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Post by Rage »

Self-votes can no longer count towards a lynch, and instead will be added to the No Lynch category. Capiche?

Also, I'd like to apologize for the flaws in my modding thus-far, just please take it easy on me!
I'm a rageaholic! I just can't live without rageahol!
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Post by mrfixij »

vollkan wrote:
mrfixij wrote: I realize how my application of degree can be misinterpreted. I don't like the play in any situation. As it is, if I had to place suspicion on edgeworth vollkan, it would be extremely minor at this point. Were it later in the game, I'd consider a self-vote damning. As it is, with this game being rather light-hearted so far, I'm just expressing my distaste for the move in general, not necessarily voll's application of it. The part about having my vote on him already was tongue-in-cheek when I wrote it. As an afterthought, it appears significantly less so.
I don't care how "minor" a suspicion is. If you suspect me for something, you have to prove that it is scummy.

And,"I don't like it"/"distaste" is NOT an acceptable justification for suspecting something!

Also, how on earth can you justifying treating something as generally scummy without regard for the particular circumstances?
As far as I can tell, a self-vote is not pro-town behavior. Perhaps I am looking at objective results that would be seen in a page 1 summary rather than the contribution that it would have to discussion. As it is, if the goal behind a self vote was to generate discussion, it's working. But by the inherent value of a vote, a self-vote serves to generate confusion. At later times in the game it can guillotine discussion as I've said.

Like I say, from my view of the game, a self-vote has no place. It fails to apply pressure on anyone, and the only chance it has of landing on scum is if you yourself are scum. By the inherent value of a vote (+1 to lynch), it is not pro-town behavior. I understand the application which you are using it for, but i consider it largely poor form.
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Post by mrfixij »

It should also be noted, as I carelessly failed to mention in my prior post, that a vote can be used to apply pressure during the limbo in which the prudence of a lynch is uncertain. Said pressure can force a town to defend himself or a scum to slip up. Again, when self-voting, you cannot pressure yourself, and it's against your faction's play to lead towards your own lynch.

Perhaps this is a case of Il ne pas de hors texte, or "there is nothing past the text." A disagreement stems not from a disagreement of ideas but from a disagreement of definition. I suspect that my definition of the purpose of a vote is substantially smaller and more narrow than yours.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Post by vollkan »

mrfixij wrote: As far as I can tell, a self-vote is not pro-town behavior. Perhaps I am looking at objective results that would be seen in a page 1 summary rather than the contribution that it would have to discussion. As it is, if the goal behind a self vote was to generate discussion, it's working. But by the inherent value of a vote, a self-vote serves to generate confusion. At later times in the game it can guillotine discussion as I've said.

Like I say, from my view of the game, a self-vote has no place. It fails to apply pressure on anyone, and the only chance it has of landing on scum is if you yourself are scum. By the inherent value of a vote (+1 to lynch), it is not pro-town behavior. I understand the application which you are using it for, but i consider it largely poor form.
What it can do later, in totally different circumstances, is irrelevant to the immediate matter.

There is no such thing as "inherent value" independent of its likely effects. And, as I have said without being rebutted, game-relevant discussion is one such effect.

Your point about it being +1 to lynch is overly-simplistic. Yes, it is +1 to lynch, but that is irrelevant unless it actually translates to an unacceptable increase in the risk of a lynch. As I have submitted previously, that simply is not the case. It might very well mean that town-vollkan has +1 to lynch, but that is not "inherently" anti-town if it doesn't really alter my odds of survival.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Post by vollkan »

mrfixij wrote: It should also be noted, as I carelessly failed to mention in my prior post, that a vote can be used to apply pressure during the limbo in which the prudence of a lynch is uncertain. Said pressure can force a town to defend himself or a scum to slip up. Again, when self-voting, you cannot pressure yourself, and it's against your faction's play to lead towards your own lynch.
Disagree.

Votes for "pressure" without any argument behind them are purely meaningless. Town cannot defend themselves because, by definition, there is nothing to defend against.

The only effect of a "pressure" vote is to, potentially, cause someone to react badly - but that is not any more or less likely to come from scum or town. It ultimately just reflects the ability of the players and says squat about their alignment.

I'll prove it:
Unvote, Vote: mrfixij

Feeling pressured?
Not even a little bit?
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Post by mrfixij »

vollkan wrote:Disagree.

Votes for "pressure" without any argument behind them are purely meaningless. Town cannot defend themselves because, by definition, there is nothing to defend against.

The only effect of a "pressure" vote is to, potentially, cause someone to react badly - but that is not any more or less likely to come from scum or town. It ultimately just reflects the ability of the players and says squat about their alignment.

I'll prove it:

Feeling pressured?
Not even a little bit?
With this I disagree. In the absence of power roles (which is the effective situation that exists on day 1), no CERTAINTY of scum can be established. From a strictly numerical and probability standpoint, each vote exponentially increases your chance of being lynched. While a drastic oversimplification of the voting process, mathematically it remains true.

Being that we have 10 players, assume 10 unloaded 10-sided dice. It would take 6 dice landing on the same number to lynch. If votes were
truly
random, if each vote is taken sequentially, two consecutive rolls landing on the same number drastically increases the chance of said number reaching the quota of 6. It means that rather than 3/5 of the total pool, it requires 1/2 of the remaining pool to lynch, 10% less than required previously. If a player has more votes on him, a significantly lesser percentage of the remaining player pool needs to vote for him to lynch him. Granted, there is a significant subjective degree, but as stated above, this is a dramatic oversimplification, much like a spherical cow in physics.

As arguments get tossed around, posts are torn apart and logic becomes shaky, the dice begin to get loaded, or as we call it in mafia, a player looks "scummy". This means that a player is more likely to receive a vote from any given player. If you pack this on top of the reduced portion of the player pool required to lynch, you begin to see the numeric effect of pressure votes. It is a general fallacy to consider objectively that where a vote is cast is a scumtell. The first vote is just as damning as the last mathematically, instead we use a psychological tendency of where a vote is, in turn playing a WIFOM game.

Again, I believe we view the game from different eyes. I see a vote as a primary indication of probability adjustment and the reasoning as a secondary adjustment on top of said vote. I believe I understand the general priority of your logic, but have a hard time verbalizing it.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Post by ortolan »

Interesting theory discussion.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Juls
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Juls
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Post by Juls »

mr. fixij, are you having a problem with his vote from a policy stand point or from a it seems scummy standpoint? I think I read policy but I want to make sure.
-------------------------------------
Juls
mrfixij
mrfixij
Goon
mrfixij
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Post by mrfixij »

Policy.
Also answer to 'e, it, scumbag, 'ey you!, and his royal towniness.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:29 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

vollkan wrote:
ecto wrote: I don't believe that I've self-voted, though I have asked the town to kill me in a very specific way before (worked out as I had asked and I won with the town)
So to repeat your question to yourself, why would you self-vote Vollkan?
ecto wrote: Now that we are aware of this mechanic, can you still justify your self-vote Vollkan? Since this mechanic wasn't stated prior to your self vote, include what you were thinking then, and what your thoughts are about it now. Is the move still valid?
5 people cast votes before I did. Like my vote, not one of those votes was backed up with any reasoning or justification.

In other words, you found something distinct about my vote. Obviously, it was the fact it was a self-vote that set it apart, as you yourself identified.

But...let's stop and think for a second - YOU are the one who is positing that there is something so unique about my vote that it, and it alone, requires an actual justification.

Thus, I'd like to hear from you as to why you think that self-voting is so special that it requires justification?

As for my reasons: I have learned over my time here that self-voting is one of the best ways to stir the pot. People have a tendency to leap onto it with presumptions and prejudices (ain't that so, Ecto :wink:), which means it provides a lovely springboard for discussion//
First off, whether those other votes had reasoning has little bearing on a self-vote being an anti-town move (notice I did not say scummy).
2nd, you invalidated your point that there was nothing different between their vote and your vote by the manner in which you did it.
vollkan wrote:
Vollkan five seconds in the future wrote:
Vote: Vollkan
Vollkan, why on earth would you self-vote?

Vote: Vollkan
You didn't give a reason, yet ask the rhetorical question of why you would vote for yourself. I've yet to hear a pro-town reason for it in any discussion I've read and participated in.
You here imply and leave it hanging that you have some special reason. Hence, you've been asked to explain yourself, which you are welcome to do without answering with a question in return yourself. No dodging the question Ehh? Good.

3rd - Do you really think you are the first player with the wonderful idea of voting themselves to spur discussion? Here's a good paraphrase of why its crap move from your own mouth.
The only effect of a "self" vote is to, potentially cause someone to react badly - but that is not any more or less likely to come from scum or town
because self-voting is inherently a bad play
. Any reaction from a player says squat about their alignment
That means, despite your smarmy last comment, I ask of you the same question you asked yourself. You said it to stand out, now you've been called out on it. Dont tell me you didnt have an answer prepared. Or did you expect to be able to say "AHAH! Someone asked me about my self-vote, gotcha scum!!"
You've also come to a completely wrong conclusion:
As for my reasons: I have learned over my time here that self-voting is one of the best ways to stir the pot. People have a tendency to leap onto it with presumptions and prejudices (ain't that so, Ecto Wink), which means it provides a lovely springboard for discussion//
It's a terrible springboard for provoking discussion because what you get is A: a player who could be town or scum self-voting (I find it to be about equal) and B: Anyone who questions the move could be either town or scum because self voting is anti-town play.
So you've created a wonderful WIFOM to kick off the game, that tells us no information about alignments. All you've done is given yourself a reason to feel self-important enough to make unjustifiably smug comments.

Wrong. While it would be nice for us to understand why he has a suspicion, he doesnt have to "prove" it is scummy. (By the way that's a scummy attitude in games I've played Vollkan. Scum gets into a "You got no case on me Copper, you cant prove nuttin" frame of mind)
Players are allowed to play by gut, and I've seen some that are very good at it. It is optimum for them to be able to convince town of why their gut is pointing at a player, but we dont have "game lawyers" who will come busting into the thread to force him to "prove it".

Now back to your own question, and no dodging this. Answer it. The cop out answer of "it spurred discussion" wont cut it.
Self-voting I've seen equally from scum and town, but using the "I was trying to spur discussion" excuse, that's mostly scum. I took especial note of your comment that
only scum or idiots would remain opposed to me at the end.
Oh my, we wouldn't want to appear to be idiots casting shadows from your amazing brilliance. Only idiots would disagree with you? You might find yourself in a crowd of them. Mtfixij already has the right of things. You are so bent upon the thought that your logic is infallable that you dont seem to care to listen though.

Anyhow, let's hear this nugget of Knowledge that you asked yourself...
Vollkan, why on earth would you self-vote?

P.S. - a self-vote may be anti-town, but is not inherently scummy. I DO find Vollkan's maneuvering and justification for his anti-town move to be scummy. Calling the town idiots or scum unless they agree with him is a perfect example of lower level psychological manipulation.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Post by vollkan »

mrfixij wrote:
vollkan wrote:Disagree.

I'll prove it:

Feeling pressured?
Not even a little bit?
With this I disagree. In the absence of power roles (which is the effective situation that exists on day 1), no CERTAINTY of scum can be established. From a strictly numerical and probability standpoint, each vote exponentially increases your chance of being lynched. While a drastic oversimplification of the voting process, mathematically it remains true.

Being that we have 10 players, assume 10 unloaded 10-sided dice. It would take 6 dice landing on the same number to lynch. If votes were
truly
random, if each vote is taken sequentially, two consecutive rolls landing on the same number drastically increases the chance of said number reaching the quota of 6. It means that rather than 3/5 of the total pool, it requires 1/2 of the remaining pool to lynch, 10% less than required previously. If a player has more votes on him, a significantly lesser percentage of the remaining player pool needs to vote for him to lynch him. Granted, there is a significant subjective degree, but as stated above, this is a dramatic oversimplification, much like a spherical cow in physics.

As arguments get tossed around, posts are torn apart and logic becomes shaky, the dice begin to get loaded, or as we call it in mafia, a player looks "scummy". This means that a player is more likely to receive a vote from any given player. If you pack this on top of the reduced portion of the player pool required to lynch, you begin to see the numeric effect of pressure votes. It is a general fallacy to consider objectively that where a vote is cast is a scumtell. The first vote is just as damning as the last mathematically, instead we use a psychological tendency of where a vote is, in turn playing a WIFOM game.

Again, I believe we view the game from different eyes. I see a vote as a primary indication of probability adjustment and the reasoning as a secondary adjustment on top of said vote. I believe I understand the general priority of your logic, but have a hard time verbalizing it.
What's your point? I said as much just before (only with less verbosity):
mrfixij wrote: - My self-voting has negligible risk of causing a quick-lynch (since it was only the second vote for myself) (in fact, in this game it was no risk at all but that isn't relevant, I know)
- My self-voting has a very good chance of causing some rats to come out of the woodwork to attack me. Being a player who hunts scum through argument, that's highly desirable from my perspective.
- In other words, minimal potential cost and a high likelihood of benefit. Thus, it is a good action for town (and especially town-vollkan)
Sure, it makes it minutely more likely that I may be lynched, but I doubt you could tell me with a straight face that it carried an unacceptable level of risk - especially relative to the information potential.

I can't see how it is defensible to approach things in terms of "probability adjustment" when the "probability" you rely upon is but a minute part of the overall effect of somebody self-voting (or doing anything, as the case may be).
mrfixij wrote: Policy.
Wonderful.

In which case, you cannot justify saying my action gives you a "minor" suspicion.

All you've shown is that from one (fundamentally-flawed and narrow) policy perspective my actions were anti-town.
ecto wrote: First off, whether those other votes had reasoning has little bearing on a self-vote being an anti-town move (notice I did not say scummy).
2nd, you invalidated your point that there was nothing different between their vote and your vote by the manner in which you did it.
I dispute the label "anti-town" as much as I do the label "scummy" - either constitutes an attack against me. I've shown above why self-voting was justified.
Ecto wrote: You didn't give a reason, yet ask the rhetorical question of why you would vote for yourself. I've yet to hear a pro-town reason for it in any discussion I've read and participated in.
You here imply and leave it hanging that you have some special reason. Hence, you've been asked to explain yourself, which you are welcome to do without answering with a question in return yourself. No dodging the question Ehh? Good.
I gave my pro-town reason for it (and I shall respond to your attacks on said reason shortly). And, also, it's an argument from ignorance to say that my action is anti-town or scummy because you haven't heard a pro-town reason for it. The onus is on you to prove that
my
action (not the action of fixij's spherical cow) was objectively-speaking scummy and/or anti-town.
ecto wrote: 3rd - Do you really think you are the first player with the wonderful idea of voting themselves to spur discussion? Here's a good paraphrase of why its crap move from your own mouth.
V wrote: The only effect of a "pressure" vote is to, potentially, cause someone to react badly - but that is not any more or less likely to come from scum or town. It ultimately just reflects the ability of the players and says squat about their alignment.
The only effect of a "self" vote is to, potentially cause someone to react badly - but that is not any more or less likely to come from scum or town because self-voting is inherently a bad play. Any reaction from a player says squat about their alignment
That means, despite your smarmy last comment, I ask of you the same question you asked yourself. You said it to stand out, now you've been called out on it. Dont tell me you didnt have an answer prepared. Or did you expect to be able to say "AHAH! Someone asked me about my self-vote, gotcha scum!!"
No. I actually learned the discussion-seeking self-vote from Adel and I know for a fact that it is hardly unheard of.

The analogy you draw between pressure voting and self-voting is weak.

See, both town and scum can (and do) flip under pressure, especially newbies. Experienced players will tend to regard pressure votes as meaningless - after all, they aren't based on anything. Ultimately, then, all pressure voting does is just contrive a reaction which is alignment-independent. Town have good reason to freak under pressure, and so do scum. (And there is absolutely no evidence for the argument that, since scum have higher stakes, they will freak out more.)

Self-voting is very different. People who attack self-voting can be challenged to provide reasons for said attack. In turn, argument begins. Argument in and of itself good for finding scum because of the fact that scum, basicaly, have slippery logic in their arguments - to allow them to fulfill their objectives. But, beyond that, it provides a test of how far people are willing to take a losing case against the self-voter (and I say "losing case" because the absolutist anti-self-voting case is dismally weak).

In other words, pressure votes rely on drawing inferences based on alignment-independent reactions. Self-voting relies on drawing players into rational debate and seeing the logic behind people's attacks.

Notice - I have never once said that those who attacked me are scummy for doing so simpliciter. I am paying close attention to the arguments being made, and scrutinising them, but my strategy (or is that "tactic" :P) doesn't rely simply on saying "GOTCHA SCUM".

I asked you about what distinguished my self-vote to see whether you could actually articulate a coherent, contextual explanation of why my self-vote was anti-town and/or scummy.
Ecto wrote:
vollkan wrote: I don't care how "minor" a suspicion is. If you suspect me for something, you have to prove that it is scummy.

Wrong. While it would be nice for us to understand why he has a suspicion, he doesnt have to "prove" it is scummy. (By the way that's a scummy attitude in games I've played Vollkan. Scum gets into a "You got no case on me Copper, you cant prove nuttin" frame of mind)
:lol:

First off, I can prove that, in my case, a loathing of "distate" and "I don't like it" is entirely consistent.

This is a policy list I have posted a few times in the past. See here for the one that sprang to mind. You also only have to have a glance through my history to see the number of times where I have ranted at people who make subjective, feeling-based arguments ("gut" suspicion being the worst)

Pay particular attention to rule number 3.
vollkan wrote: Vollkan's Ground Rules
1) I use a % system to rank people.

a: 0% means someone's behaviour is absolute confirmed town. 100% means someone's behaviour is absolute confirmed scum.
b: The rankings refer to behaviour unless otherwise stated. Someone that has claimed cop may still get a rating of 60% if their play has been worth 60%. I may also give them a probability ranking that factors in their claim.
c: Everybody starts at 50%.
d: Someone who has neither a preponderance of scumtells or towntells will receive 50%.
e: Any unreadable lurker will receive 50%
f: It is rare for me to give people a ranking below 50% (see section 2) below)

2) I am exceptionally skeptical of "town tells" and am reluctant to positively identify people as being "likely town". I have no issue with identifying the "less scummy" but I do not like identifying the "more towny".

3) Any player who justifies a vote/FoS/declaration of 'suspicion'/etc. on one of the following:

a) 'Hunch';
b) 'Gut';
c) 'Feeling';
d) 'Belief'; or
e) Anything that has a meaning similar to those of the above

will receive a stern demand from me that they give objective reasons for their vote/FoS/declaration of 'suspicion'/etc. Should they fail to do so, my expectation is that the vote/FoS/declaration of 'suspicion'/etc. will be dropped. If not, then they can expect their % ranking to increase.

4) If you want to play in a chaotic fashion, that's fine. However, if I can't understand what you are doing I will demand an explanation and justification. If you don't provide me with one, your % ranking will increase.

5) Any person who accuses another person of being scum for one of the following:

a) Over-reaction;
b) Lurking;
c) Aggression;
d) Bandwagoning (see section 6) below);

Can expect their % ranking to increase.

6) Bandwagoning is not a scumtell. Voting with crap reasons is a scumtell. I don't give a toss how many times you vote, but I care very deeply about your reasons for doing so.

7) I hate lurkers. If you do not post decently within a reasonable timeframe, I will bombard you with questions and, very likely, demand you provide a full scumdar with at least 2 sentences per person. If you choose not to do so, I will expect that you desist from posting and allow yourself to be replaced.

8) Reliance on conspiracy arguments, such as "I think X is scummy because he did Y which could help scum because Z" (keyword = "could") will merit a % increase.

9) If I make a mistake somewhere I will point out that I have made tremendous cock-ups as town in a number of games. If you choose to entirely ignore these meta-references, your % ranking will rise.

10) If you are finding the game too 'difficult' or 'complex' either read up or replace out.

11) Don't complain about my posts being too long.
In short, I refuse to accept the legitimacy of any argument unless it has objective backing.

That is to say, you can give me an answer which, at some level, is not reducible to "I don't like it"

And the onus in this game is most definitely on the accuser. The best way to catch scum is on the basis of poor reasoning for attacks. As such, mandating rigorous levels of justification forces scum into a corner. Every time we legitimise somebody to rely on feeling, the town's grave is dug a little deeper.
Ecto wrote: Players are allowed to play by gut, and I've seen some that are very good at it. It is optimum for them to be able to convince town of why their gut is pointing at a player, but we dont have "game lawyers" who will come busting into the thread to force him to "prove it".
1) Name me just one good gut player
2) Even if you can satisfy 1), that doesn't justify giving every person who plays by gut the benefit of the doubt
3) See my point above - there is an inherent advantage for town in forcing objective reasons.
4) We don't game lawyers because there are players who are able to impose onus of proof rules themselves.

I can see we are going to enjoy this game, Ecto :p
Ecto wrote: Now back to your own question, and no dodging this. Answer it. The cop out answer of "it spurred discussion" wont cut it.
But I have answered it :wink: Why is discussion unacceptable to you? (and note, my reason was not "it spurred discussion" (empirical) but that it could spur discussion (theoretical)). That was the point of my utility analysis. Vollkan self-voting had more benefit than vollkan not doing so.
Ecto wrote: Oh my, we wouldn't want to appear to be idiots casting shadows from your amazing brilliance. Only idiots would disagree with you? You might find yourself in a crowd of them. Mtfixij already has the right of things. You are so bent upon the thought that your logic is infallable that you dont seem to care to listen though.
I'm perfectly cognisant of my own fallibility. It's just that this is an issue I have given a lot of thought to over my time here, and I don't believe that anti-self-voting case is defensible. And fixij is certainly NOT on the right track.
Ecto wrote: P.S. - a self-vote may be anti-town, but is not inherently scummy. I DO find Vollkan's maneuvering and justification for his anti-town move to be scummy. Calling the town idiots or scum unless they agree with him is a perfect example of lower level psychological manipulation.
Maneuvering? What maneuvering? I've given a clear, objective explanation for my actions. I haven't resorted to abstract theory and I haven't resorted to feelings.

And I intended my "scum or idiots" entirely, and stand by it.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Post by vollkan »

By the way guys - awesome start to the game. I don't think I've seen a game that has gotten this much relevant argument so early on!
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Well...

1.) Hell yes thats from Star Control. :)

2.) Have we, on page 2, already landed in
WORDS
?

Now, normally I'd love to continue this discussion - I'm a fan of words as much as the next fella. However, this particular discussion which is only a kissing-cousin of what should be going on I feel needs to be nipped in the bud - before it blossoms into a large tree that keeps dropping apples on our head.

So, in other words, lets not turn this game into a bizarre Algonquin round-table with lynches. ;)
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Post by vollkan »

Spyrex wrote: Now, normally I'd love to continue this discussion - I'm a fan of words as much as the next fella. However, this particular discussion which is only a kissing-cousin of what should be going on I feel needs to be nipped in the bud - before it blossoms into a large tree that keeps dropping apples on our head.
1) How about giving us your thoughts on the discussion

2) This is as relevant and real as any other sort of discussion. The fact I deliberately engineered a controversy doesn't change the seriousness of the attacks or anything.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Post by SpyreX »

My thoughts? That its devolved into a theory discussion about self voting and the day 1 reaction versus suspicion debates. Which are good stuff.

Yet, I dont think they're relevant to finding scum in this game.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Post by springlullaby »

Hi guys,

vote: springlullaby
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:30 pm

Post by vollkan »

Spyrex wrote: My thoughts? That its devolved into a theory discussion about self voting and the day 1 reaction versus suspicion debates. Which are good stuff.

Yet, I dont think they're relevant to finding scum in this game.
Let me try questioning more directly:

1) What is your opinion of my self-vote: pro-town, anti-town, scummy, neutral?
2) Why?
3) Are the arguments people are making not relevant for determining alignment?
springlullaby wrote: Hi guys,

Hi springlullaby,

Unvote, Vote: vollkan
TDC
TDC
Mafia Scum
TDC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:08 am

Post by TDC »

springlullaby wrote:Hi guys,

I doubt another self-vote will be sparking more discussion than Mayor vollkan's. (On the other hand, I just responded..)

I don't see an early self-vote as indicative of alignment and quite frankly, I have no idea why this seems to be such an issue.

ecto, mrfixij: Would things be any different for you if vollkan had dice-voted instead?

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”