Newbie 2065 | The Backrooms | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #380 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:14 pm

Post by Pavowski »

Hi everybody. I gave the thread a skim last night but I'll give it a closer read today and share some thoughts in the coming hours.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #383 (isolation #1) » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:08 am

Post by Pavowski »

In post 381, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 380, Pavowski wrote:Hi everybody. I gave the thread a skim last night but I'll give it a closer read today and share some thoughts in the coming hours.
Hello, I have 1 question for you:

Spoiler:
are you mafia?
Luke, great question! I am not mafia.

Okay a little more from me now that I've had my morning run and showered and feel more like a human being:

First of all I'm pretty new to online mafia. I've read some games and I'm excited to jump in, but I've only played IRL before. So I'm much more used to going with gut-checks and by "feel" than with the thoughtful, parsing analysis that seems to be the norm around here (certainly in this game. Man, you guys like to quote a lot.)

Second, man, the elimination of T3 was weird. His behavior, I mean. Not that this is new info or anything, but he certainly tried to blow a lot of smoke to cover his partner, whoever it may be. Not sure any of that did anything, though.

Third I've been rereading posts -- especially Mix's -- to try to get a feel for where he was at and ... maybe not necessarily *pick up the mantle* and try to play like he might, but at least to sort of transition in and try to maintain the game continuity, if that makes sense? Anyway: Mix seemed on board with Lukewarm, and the rest of town seems to feel that way too. And so do I! All his questioning seems very towny, and also he's got a black mage avatar, so I know he is a man of character. He (Mix) was sus of Zyla and Xlos especially, and it feels like the pressure has shifted onto Zyla for today. But he hadn't made up his mind about Wayward either. So I will keep the FOS on those 3 as a starting point.

Okay, that turned into me trying to summarize things for myself, mostly.

I'll keep reviewing and try to make some more significant contributions as we go, but that seems to be where Mix was at so that's where I'm going to try to start from.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #386 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:08 am

Post by Pavowski »

Thanks for the tip.

BTW I've seen the term "hero solve" a couple times in thread but -- and I swear I'm not trying to be dense -- I'm not sure I understand what it means. Is it just a callout of who you think will flip as mafia in the end?
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #387 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:39 am

Post by Pavowski »

I will make one final post this morning before I just let stuff percolate.

It's a challenge reading back thru discussions I wasn't a part of and trying to make sense of them.

But one thing I *can* make sense of -- a little bit -- is the known mafia's behavior, especially when he was under the hammer and after the hammer fell. He vouches for Roden, then harshly disagrees and reads scum on him (121). He susses wayward and egix early (20), but then townreads wayward. He townreads Xlos and Mix vaguely (157).

And finally, with his obligatory vanilla claim, he votes Egix when he's under the hammer (182).

He knows he's toast by this point. But, unless I'm much mistook, the only person he ONLY provided a scummy read on -- and never provided a conflicting townread on -- was Egix. Who he votes against as he's getting eliminated.

This could be WIFOM -- but it feels like he could be trying to make a potential partner look innocent by dint of scumreading him as suspected scum himself.

Have I tied myself into a knot? I dunno. But this is the thing I'm puzzling over the most right now. And it puts a big FOS on Egix for me, independent of anything else.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #389 (isolation #4) » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:26 am

Post by Pavowski »

In post 387, Pavowski wrote:I will make one final post this morning before I just let stuff percolate.

It's a challenge reading back thru discussions I wasn't a part of and trying to make sense of them.

But one thing I *can* make sense of -- a little bit -- is the known mafia's behavior, especially when he was under the hammer and after the hammer fell. He vouches for Roden, then harshly disagrees and reads scum on him (121). He susses wayward and egix early (20), but then townreads wayward. He townreads Xlos and Mix vaguely (157).

And finally, with his obligatory vanilla claim, he votes Egix when he's under the hammer (182).

He knows he's toast by this point. But, unless I'm much mistook, the only person he ONLY provided a scummy read on -- and never provided a conflicting townread on -- was Egix. Who he votes against as he's getting eliminated.

This could be WIFOM -- but it feels like he could be trying to make a potential partner look innocent by dint of scumreading him as suspected scum himself.

Have I tied myself into a knot? I dunno. But this is the thing I'm puzzling over the most right now. And it puts a big FOS on Egix for me, independent of anything else.
Ok, my first white lie. The previous post wasn't my last post for the morning; this one is.

Given the above, and the current state of the game, and a quick round of housecleaning and ponderation, I'm ready to VOTE: Egix.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #428 (isolation #5) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 am

Post by Pavowski »

The Bulge wrote:mix slot still town. welcome, dude.
Thanks, dude.

In post 393, Egix96 wrote:
In post 387, Pavowski wrote:This could be WIFOM
It was something he made up on the spot for certain, because T3 posted multiple times between me voting him, and him saying that it "felt opportunistic and scmmy."

Of course, there's not much chance that me mentioning that will change your mind, but I would advise against it being your main reason to suspect me. :roll:
"For certain"? Can you be sure of that?

It's not my only reason, but when one of these things is so very unlike the others, it makes me wonder.

Then again, it could just be bad luck on your part his flailing finger landed on you. But the fact it did land on you is worth considering.

I'm not married to my vote, but it's the best I've got right now.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #429 (isolation #6) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:20 am

Post by Pavowski »

In post 418, Xlos wrote:
In post 356, Xlos wrote:The more the day wears on the less I'm feeling like Zyla. Not only is the nightkill strange for a general player in her position, but it's strange for what I get of her personality in her position. Unless she was lying about if she thought that I was a mason during the night. Since this implies she was not PR hunting. Maybe she was trying to frame Egix, but she didn't even realize who killing Roden would insinuate . All in all it just seems incredibly unlikely. Here are the options I can think of for her being a mafia -

1) She's been lying constantly about everything from whether she thought I was a mason to who she thought the nightkill would be framing
2) She had some incredibly unlikely reasoning for the kill (like hoping that a post like this one would appear)
3) She rolled a die for the NK

I don't see any of these things having much chance of being real.
To me this really does seem like a very strong argument, I'm wondering if anyone thinks that I'm missing a likely case or thinks that one of these 3 cases is actually quite probable for some reason I can't see.
I wouldn't go so far as to say probable, but I wouldn't rule out a random choice for the scumpartner. After T3's strange behavior, it would be a way to further muddy the waters, and NKing Roden seems to have done that.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #450 (isolation #7) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:48 am

Post by Pavowski »

In post 447, Egix96 wrote:You can use as a guide for F5, but if the game ends up going to F3, always exercise due diligence.
Lukewarm wrote::/
Spoken like a guy who expects the game to go on after he's eliminated, huh Luke? Hmm.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #462 (isolation #8) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:23 am

Post by Pavowski »

Man, I wish I had something useful to contribute this morning, but I just don't. I wouldn't be shocked if either Zyla or Egix flipped scum. Then again, it wouldn't shock me if either flipped town. That the hammer will come from a guy who is e-1 himself is fascinating. (But what else can he do?)

I guess if the game isn't over after Egix hammers, I'm gonna have a lot of re-reading to do.

Again.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #464 (isolation #9) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:44 am

Post by Pavowski »

Would make himself pretty obvious with a quick hammer, no?

I'm with you, I'm a lot less confident in an Egix scum read than I was this time yesterday, but surely it's in his interests even as scum to allow some time to pass. Esp since, despite being at e-1 himself, there doesn't look to be a hammer in his future.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #465 (isolation #10) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:21 am

Post by Pavowski »

Now that I'm thoroughly tied in knots again, I'll just say that Egix has convinced me, at least for now. UNVOTE: Egix
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #469 (isolation #11) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:45 am

Post by Pavowski »

Xlos wrote:Actually should we wait for a Zyla claim?
In post 466, Lukewarm wrote:I would say that Zyla has already essentially claimed Vanilla Townie just from her stating to have believed Mix-los of being Masons - if she was any power role, then she would have known that that was not the case.
Tend to agree with this. Zyla's claim is almost moot.

But I'm happy to hear it, either way.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #471 (isolation #12) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:23 am

Post by Pavowski »

Over 24 hours since last Zyla post.

<8 hours til end of day.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #472 (isolation #13) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:34 pm

Post by Pavowski »

Not that I *really* think the clock is going to run out, but there's been ample time given today, and there's less than 6 hours remaining. I have to sleep in a couple hours, and if the hammer hasn't fallen by then, I intend to drop it.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #473 (isolation #14) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:35 pm

Post by Pavowski »

That is, I will hammer Zyla by 10 EST, just to be absolutely clear, if Egix has not done it.
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #476 (isolation #15) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Post by Pavowski »

Zyla wrote: Even if you don't believe me, I am of course vanilla town. I'm mostly thinking WWS is mafia, but it could be Xlos or Egix; Pavowski has definitely made their slot seem more town, and I think that my TR on Luke is pretty solid. Still think Bulge could go either way.

I
hope
that someone switches over to Egix instead of me, but either way, good luck town!
As much as I am not confident in this vote, I am even less confident the votes are there to eliminate Egix tonight. Let's hope this is the game.

VOTE: Zyla
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #494 (isolation #16) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:10 am

Post by Pavowski »

In post 492, Lukewarm wrote:You dying lowered Egix's scum equity from my pov. When someone is hard accusing someone else, then dies, I generally feel like that is normally someone trying to frame the other person.
Yeah, it was this combined with Egix's posts under e-1 that made me really rethink my vote for him. I wasn't totally convinced on Zyla, but she was the only one we were going to get last night.

Luke as Mason explains a lot. Honestly I was starting to sus you a little bit *just because* you felt so hard town to everybody. Maybe I wouldn't have felt that if I had started the game with this set. But I was gonna be looking at you and Wayward if the game went to another day, hah.

GG all!
Pavowski
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Pavowski
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #501 (isolation #17) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 am

Post by Pavowski »

In post 498, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 494, Pavowski wrote:Luke as Mason explains a lot. Honestly I was starting to sus you a little bit *just because* you felt so hard town to everybody. Maybe I wouldn't have felt that if I had started the game with this set. But I was gonna be looking at you and Wayward if the game went to another day, hah.
I was locktown to everyone, because I had accused T3 of being scum on page 2 of the thread, and pushed it the entire day, then he flipped scum.

That is generally enough for someone to be assumed town, all the way until they are still alive at Elo. Then people might start wondering why you are still alive if you have been Town Read so hard for so long, but day 2 that is enough to be assumed town lol
That makes sense. Replacing in is hard. Trying to make sense of those early posts had me all screwed up.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”