Newbie 2088 | Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #47 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 am

Post by Shotbun »

Hello! I'm starting off this game by throwing dice to see who I am voting for, because relying on luck rather than logic is always the best move.

That's number 7!

VOTE: Lukewarm

That being said, post seemed insanely suspicious to me. Just a quick "agree!!" and slapping that vote without any hesitation. Was it a random vote or scum's poor attempt to bandwagon? I would vote for them, but they are pretty damn close of getting eliminated already, so again - relying on luck instead of logic for now.
In post 26, TTTT wrote:in the meantime
how about everyone just says how we will know if they are scum
what are your tells?
thanks
It has been so long since the last time I've played mafia in general, so I feel like my answer would be pretty scuffed. I tend to play pretty relaxed overall, so who knows?
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:30 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 48, TTTT wrote:that's an eight
I'm looking at the top side, silly!
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #51 (isolation #2) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:33 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 49, TTTT wrote: please explore deeper within your own psyche and spill your soul
I called the fortune teller and asked if they can read my mind. They hang up. Sorry.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:08 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 53, TTTT wrote:Shotbun
I like when you call me silly
but your refusal to elaborate/speculate on your scumplay makes me sad
Sorry, I'll let you know when something pops in my mind.
MalcolmTucker wrote:Unsure re post 29, it certainly didn't look like a proper, full-on attempt to join a bandwagon to get rid of me, because I'd assume even the most desperate player wouldn't expect people to jump on a single target this early, but could absolutely be a mafia player just trying to appear engaged and keen to throw out some casual accusations instead of being too comfortable sitting back and contributing little. Intrigued to see how they approach the game going forward.
You never know, it might be an inexperienced scum just going at it, hopefully thinking that it's blending in the environment. Not the first time I've seen that happening.
TTTT wrote:also Shotbun
I feel like there is enough info out here where you can make a non-random vote
if you don't want to put ofmercia at E-1
why not start another wagon on the next scummiest person?
this isn't a rhetorical question
there are legit gameplay reasons why you might not want to do that
I'm just curious what your thinking is here
I haven't thought super deep just yet to make a non-random vote, P29 just happened to burn my eyes instantly as I speedran two pages of intense mafia game. (I am multitasking at the moment with projects) I will update with a super professional analysis later today. As for ofmercia, I am waiting for his response first.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #129 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:44 pm

Post by Shotbun »

Of boy, a lot of posts have been made since last time I posted. You post A LOT. Time to do some "next level super analysis". (That being said, please note that my reading comprehension is horrible, please no bully.)
In post 86, Eyes without a face wrote:Shotbun (I to.ok the liberty to ISO the new replacement and I like their entrance which seems to be daring. Yet again much like TTTT this appears to be an alt of an experienced player so I won't put much confidence in my town lean on them for now)
In post 96, clidd wrote:Shotbun looks good (t), but at the same time she/it gives me a feeling of being deceptively experienced (s), so I'm not comfortable considering anything but null.
It's worth mentioning that my experience with mafia comes from another forum (which is not related to mafia at all) where I used to play and host pretty laid back and casual mafia games (2011 - 2013) and used mafiascum's wiki as an useful source. Haven't played or hosted much after that. But if you want my opinion, I always felt like I was absolutely terrible at the game... and I don't think much has changed from the level of crappiness. One of the things I noticed pretty fast when comparing my old games was that D1 here has been pretty lively despite the lack of information. In game I used to play, people kept posting something like "yeah, I'm still here...." and nothing else till D2 when stuff actually happened.

I'm going to start with the basics, I don't know if this list is up to date anymore but I wanted to point this out.
In post 28, Lukewarm wrote:
TTTT - Town.

this is the kind of post that draws attention to youself, and I would expect the Average Scum to avoid drawing attention to themselves.
While I definitely agree that TTTT is leaning more towards town and I do respect them for getting the game going by asking a lot of questions for others, I don't think drawing attention to yourself during D1 like that is guaranteed town. I feel like a skilled scum can play cool regardless how much attention they are getting and in fact, perhaps use it against the town.

Here's my personal, quick 1AM thoughts about everyone:

TTTT - Again, I'm leaning town towards them, but you never know. They have brought up some good questions so far (for me as well, which were completely justified) but it could always be a case of "hello, fellow kids!".
ofmercia - For some reason didn't respond to TTTT's question regarding mafia experience despite TTTT having big huge SUPPAH LETTERSSS showing. Why are you avoiding this question so badly?
Lukewarm - Pretty active, most of the time arguing with ofmercia however so my brain can't decide which side I would like to place them in my head.
MalcolmTucker - Another active person (I say active, but it doesn't really mean anything...) which has been dropping generally pretty logical stuff so far. Leaning town for now.
furtiveglance - Their return on page 5 is confusing me a little bit. Why is "Eyeswithoutaface" your biggest townread? Did you actually smash F5 all day?
Val89, Eyes without a face, clidd - Absolutely no idea so far, I need to see them post a bit more. (Val said that their reads are constantly changing, so I'm curious to see the most up to date version of it)

While I am still pretty suspicious towards ofmercia, I want to do this real quick. (Might as well get rid of the RV)

VOTE: furtiveglance

Can you answer my questions?
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #156 (isolation #5) » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:07 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 130, furtiveglance wrote:Yes, your questions being 1) Why townread eyes? I liked their analysis of ttt (i think)s analysis, saying it was too early to read too much into which I agree with. Yes I know all we are doing is reading into things people say, but no-one had really said anything yet. Yes I am guilty of hypocrisy in this respect. I'm not saying eyes is definitely town, just if i had to guess
Question2) No I sometimes clicked the recycle looking button when I thought about the game and was online. Please let me know before putting me at E-2 E-1 and saying intent to hammer etc.
Alright, fair enough.

While I am not against eliminating ofmerica, am I the only one worried about Val89? I was hoping to see their thoughts on players as well, but their most recent post (and stuff like ) makes me wonder if Val is avoiding sharing their thoughts for some reason. Other posts talking about the previous game as well as a comment on TTTT's game starter. Granted, I understand if a lot of stuff is happening, but oh boy, I would like to see more of you, Val.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #161 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:13 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 160, MalcolmTucker wrote: It could be of concern but there are genuine occasions on which a player has to back away for a few days due to other commitments. I'd sincerely hope that's not being done as a ploy just to avoid being active.
I hope so too, I guess we'll know better in few days.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #163 (isolation #7) » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:16 am

Post by Shotbun »

Let me ask you something ofmercia - what are your current reads and who do you think is the scummiest?
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #170 (isolation #8) » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:48 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 168, furtiveglance wrote: At the moment no one is defending Ofmercia (O from now on), so I have a sinking feeling that there is more than meets the eye with this current vote.
This is the main reason why I have been a little bit hesitant with my vote towards ofmercia despite my read on them. It's almost like this is
too easy
catch. Mafia finding an opening and abusing it - that sorta thing. But then again, we have no better alternatives at the moment (in my point of view, at the very least).
I really do want to read ofmercia's own reads and answer the questions first before I decide.

In post 168, furtiveglance wrote:Shotbun: finds O 'insanely suspicious' yet votes for me (maybe so I would respond), then throws a bit of shade on Val for afking. Is it too simplistic to say could be paired with O for sussing but not voting them? Probably. Neutral for me
Getting the response was the idea, leaving the vote is just completely on me - my bad. I was still waking up.

UNVOTE:

While I understand your worries about the AFK thing, to me it's a noticeable point to mention. However, I am not pushing on it too much as IRL sucks - just wanted everyone to keep this in mind in case the information becomes useful at some point.

Lastly, the most important point here;
In post 168, furtiveglance wrote:TTT: My biggest note is the scarring avatar. They probably won't change it but I strongly dislike it.
You know, I feel like we found the biggest scum play so far in this game - TTTT's avatar.

What is that white line on the left side? Unbelievable. If we were still in RVS, I would have voted just for that. But instead, I fixed the avatar for TTTT; with or without the border.

Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #192 (isolation #9) » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:26 am

Post by Shotbun »

Good morning. If I didn't see things wrong, ofmercia is at E-1.

I have an intention to drop the hammer in a bit.

I was going to do a bit more deeper reading but I feel like ofmercia has shown some lack of cooperation which hurts the town overall.
In post 181, Lukewarm wrote:Saw a couple people comment on it, but Val should not be sussed for going on VLA. That is a very NAI thing

I have never encountered someone setting their account VLA as a scum ploy in my ~30 games I have been in on site.

For starters setting your account into VLA is public in every thread they are in, so if a player is alive in more then one game going VLA will appear in every game.

Someone just disappear/being absent is fair game for suspicion, but going VLA isn't imo.
In my defense, this is literally my first game here and first time seeing VLA.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #193 (isolation #10) » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:40 am

Post by Shotbun »

I'm also going to repeat what Eyes said in ; If ofmercia turns out to be town, we sure messed up real good - but can we blamed for it? If anything, we can assume that mafia has something to do with the elimination if ofmercia becomes green.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #194 (isolation #11) » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:41 am

Post by Shotbun »

can we be blamed*

I need coffee, sorry.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #214 (isolation #12) » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:42 am

Post by Shotbun »

I'm always open for suggestions on how to move on, but I find it hard to see how to advance from here. To me it looks like things are just looping now and we're in this rather stale state.
In post 206, ofmercia wrote:Many are obsessing over the ignoring of 1 question
Then answer the goddamn question. You wouldn't be in this position if you just answered it multiple pages ago. You haven't even told us
why
you're ignoring it. Why are you hesitant to cooperate?
Lukewarm wrote:that was not supposed to be shade or anyone who said it, that was a "I am an SE and I am going to explain site expectations to VLA" post
Yeah, fair. I haven't seen VLA used in other forum that I played in. Thanks for the heads up.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #274 (isolation #13) » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 pm

Post by Shotbun »

Oh god, what the heck happened in here? I'll make this real short before the night arrives.
In post 215, furtiveglance wrote:How about a quick question for everyone, seeing as our day 1 vote is likely determined at this point:
Who is your biggest scumread apart from Ofmercia, and why?
I was originally thinking about you because of the absurd start, but not really that suspicious anymore. Lukewarm said that you're even more suspicious than ofmercia, but I can't see how exactly. (Feel free to tell me why Lukewarm) I'm currently looking at more inactive ones and since clidd just posted, it leaves Val, who should return soonish.

I really want to look at people who ended up eliminating ofmercia if he turns out to be green.. But then again, just like TTTT said - it's all on him. I feel like he could have done this situation better. Have a good night.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #325 (isolation #14) » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Post by Shotbun »

Posting at 5AM, woo!

Killing clidd definitely was a bit weird move, I was expecting someone like TTTT getting killed instead considering how active they are. Maybe mafia got jealous of clidd's superior charisma or something. That being said, from this day's posts alone, I am very confused by few things:

- Why is TTTT pairing a player with a moderator as mafia? What?
- Why did Eyes forget about my existence despite claiming checking ISOs on each pair? Surely you would have realized it at some point, right? Yeah, you used an old list and everything, but not at any point you were thinking "oh, this guy isn't here anymore"?

What's going on here?
In post 288, TTTT wrote: clidd's death means we're probably not in column C
scum were worried about a doc
What has clidd's death have to do with the potential setup? How would mafia know that there would be a doctor? Am I missing something here?
In post 291, furtiveglance wrote:It was after a lot of players seemed confident in ofmercia's guilt, but I thought (and think) that this story is full of twists and turns, it won't be over quickly.
It's not even necessarily the fact that people were confident him being scum, ofmercia was just acting very anti-town - and that's never a good thing.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #326 (isolation #15) » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:06 pm

Post by Shotbun »

And regarding Eyes' weird list, this is a very solid point.
In post 324, Lukewarm wrote:Also, I am a replacement. You caught that fancy pants wasn't in the game, but not MrR?
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #388 (isolation #16) » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:54 pm

Post by Shotbun »

No counter claiming here either.

Been spending all evening and night in a meetup, will talk more tomorrow after a tournament match.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #436 (isolation #17) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:26 am

Post by Shotbun »

Just returned from the match, lost in tiebreaker 5 - 4. To the loser brackets we go. Let me grab something to eat real quick and then I'll catch up a bit.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #439 (isolation #18) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:20 am

Post by Shotbun »

Going to start off with; Welcome back Val. <3

I'm not entirely sure what is furtive's goal to roleclaim at this point. However, one thing is for sure -
either furtive or Val is 100% scum
. If we decide to eliminate furtive today and he turns out to be green, we know who to eliminate next and vice versa.

furtive is claiming that Lukewarm didn't visit anyone last night. There are two scenarios in here if furtive is mafia;
1) Either Lukewarm is a scum and furtive attempted to give extra time for both of them in hopes to not get eliminated
or more likely scenario

2) He picked the most townie player in hopes to people go "yeah, makes sense" but doing so causes a little bit of backfire.

I'm definitely leaning more towards Val's POV on this one.

It's also worth mentioning that furtive is at E-2, unless I suck at counting. I want to vote, but can someone double check it? I don't want to accidentally hammer.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #441 (isolation #19) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:32 am

Post by Shotbun »

The fact is that we are getting rid of one scum sooner or later, guaranteed. We'll add more pressure on the remaining mafia once the first mafia player has been eliminated.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #445 (isolation #20) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:49 am

Post by Shotbun »

You do realize that your nightmare scenario is the same if Val turns to be cop, right?
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #451 (isolation #21) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:03 am

Post by Shotbun »

furtive and Val at the moment
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #474 (isolation #22) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:43 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 472, Lukewarm wrote:Eyes, I am pretty sure there is a 0% chance that we are not eliminating one of [Val, furtive] today
Yeah, I don't see any reason to vote anyone else today.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #478 (isolation #23) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:07 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 476, Eyes without a face wrote: That said, I suspect I might be a "little bit" biased because I saw that crumb and I don't want to be be wrong.

I am also struggling to see why furtive crumbed on day one.
Which crumb are you referring to? I don't know how much experience you need to crumb, but this caught my eye.
In post 223, furtiveglance wrote:Like I said before I haven't played in this format before.
I don't know anything about mafia.gg, but I don't know how well you can do such thing IRL. If this is furtive's first forum game, wouldn't that be pretty impressive?
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #479 (isolation #24) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:08 am

Post by Shotbun »

I don't know I don't know

I sure like to be -200IQ rabbit
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #496 (isolation #25) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Post by Shotbun »

Not sure if I should be offended or not.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #498 (isolation #26) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:16 pm

Post by Shotbun »

Well, I do appreciate that.

Commenting on why I write so little, I've been having a lot of trouble catching up and understanding. You folks write so much, so fast that it makes me question if I'm actually playing mafia game or is it just me reading multiple articles on Wikipedia. Been having to constantly check MafiaWiki to check shortenings like PoE, PR and TR because I've never seen anyone use these before in my previous games. I feel like I have been in a lot more casual crowd when playing before, where every single word in existence isn't being investigated. I wasn't joking around when I said this in D1:
In post 129, Shotbun wrote:(That being said, please note that my reading comprehension is horrible, please no bully.)
...considering that I might be diagnosed with ADD.
Last edited by midwaybear on Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #499 (isolation #27) » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:29 pm

Post by Shotbun »

(Sidenote: I hope I can edit that statement away post-game, preferring not to leave such personal information in a forum)
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #519 (isolation #28) » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:01 am

Post by Shotbun »

Wanting to hammer, just so everyone knows.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #526 (isolation #29) » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:12 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 520, TTTT wrote:please don't end this day
until I get a chance to catch up and post
later tonight I will have time
Don't worry, will wait.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #533 (isolation #30) » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:50 pm

Post by Shotbun »

I'm fine with waiting.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #535 (isolation #31) » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:12 am

Post by Shotbun »

In post 534, MalcolmTucker wrote:I'm fine with waiting too if need be but things feel increasingly conclusive at this point.
True, but Wednesday isn't far away.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #805 (isolation #32) » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Post by Shotbun »

Oof.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #806 (isolation #33) » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:06 pm

Post by Shotbun »

I totally did not protect the mafia twice.
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie
Shotbun
Townie
Townie

Post Post #832 (isolation #34) » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Post by Shotbun »

In post 808, TTTT wrote: that makes this even better
Shotbun
Shotbun
Townie