Song Contest 150 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Fri May 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Post by Equinox »

Spoiler: Thoughts on Points in Alphabetical Order
Armenia - Beware of cats.

Egypt - I'm not used to this style, but I think the elegance works well. It's also a very millennial piece.

Germany - This song tapped a strange combination of existential dread and wanderlust, and it could have been a generic piece but the lyrics hit home. I liked this a lot.

Greece - This song has a strong destructive energy that I very much enjoyed. I ended up buying the track because it's a good piece for jamming while writing.

Liechtenstein - I'm scared of this being the theme song for 2020.

Seychelles - Initially, this piece reminded me of ef - a fairy tale of the two. from the sound to the visuals. Even the color correction reminded me of minori's aesthetic. That said, it was its own thing, and I felt like someone was serenading me with a nostalgic story.

South Korea - The images I've seen of Seoul have been of a sparkling clean city, and this video showed me that Seoul has its underbelly like any other metropolis. That said, I have mixed feelings about this that are related to the video production, but I liked the defiant feel of the rap.

Spain - Whereas Seychelles told me a bedtime story, this song took me on a journey across continents.

Sudan -
gay??? ?? ? ??? ??
Just listening to the song itself didn't do much for me, but a subsequent run-through with the written lyrics made this click for me in a way where I'm like "yeah!" even though I can't really articulate why. Not that I can articulate why I gave the points that I did; this whole post is a farce.

Thailand - Listen, how do you whistle like that? Moreover, when did shoes become a musical instrument? The song is "meh" on its own, but this cover blew me away. There are other covers that this group has done that has had an even bigger effect on me, but this is one of their best.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 am

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: Actual words about the entries, possibly even coherent thoughts.
Greece(Rotersand - Exterminate Annihilate Destroy) - An interesting aesthetic here, and as far as I know it's well done, it's just not my thing. Also, it ended differently than I expected.

USA(The Ghost Inside - Aftermath) - I can't really speak to the emotional aspects of this song. Even though they are obviously an important part of it, they don't really land with me, though the problem is likely on my end. The song seems to be reasonably well-executed otherwise, with enough 'little things' and changes thrown in to break up the 'metal' parts.

Armenia(Cat Power - I Found a Reason) - Not much here, but its nice to listen to, and it's a good length for that too. (For the sake of its points, it is lucky I'm going from the bottom up.)

Yemen(Colour Revolt - Ageless Everytime) - Another song from this band is on my Super Playlist1, so I had high hopes. As it is, I found this song just average.

Seychelles(KASHIWA DAISUKE - METEOR) - The combination of piano, strings, and drum kit(+some sort of bass) is odd in a non-jazz context, but this works.

Guyana(IU - You and I) - This is fun to listen to, except for sound quality issues. Some of instruments and vocals sound pretty harsh.

Sudan(12RODS - Red) - There are interesting instrumental and vocal parts here and there, and those would probably work for me in other songs or assembled in a different way, but I'm not a fan the way they are put together here.

Belarus(Astronautalis - The Wondersmith and His Sons) - I've been waiting to submit this song since SC 147, and I couldn't wait any longer. Something about the beat, the vocals, and the layers of instruments just fucking bops. Not to mention the fact that these are probably the second-best lyrics I've ever submitted.2 I kinda don't want to move on from here.

South Korea(Block B - Nillili Mambo) - The intro was a little weird, but once the beat kicks in it all works out. It feels like stereotypical k-pop/rap, however oxymoronic/wrong that is or isn't(I have no clue on k-pop trends). It is well-made and fun to listen to, though. The outro is weird too, but also funny.

Central African Republic(The Hoosiers - A Sadness Runs Through Him) - It's well done for what it is, it's just a bit boring.

New Zealand(AURORA - Winter Bird) - Same as the last song, with the addition of finding the vocals a little annoying and going on for too long.

Spain(Grails - Take Refuge) - Interesting sound effects in the intro. Chill with nice variation on the instruments to keep interest. The combination of the the organ and whatever-that-is at ~4:00 is odd but ok. Not a fan of the fadeout, though. I would have preferred it just stopped at ~6:45-7:20, with no fadeout.

Russia(Любэ (Lyube) - Не валяй дурака, Америка! (Ne Valyay Duraka, Amerika!)) - This feels like a typical 'novelty' entry. It's just okay.

Djibouti(Slaughter To Prevail - Demolisher) - There are some similarities between this and USA. I'm also clueless on metal genres, so I have no idea how close they really are. The main relevant difference to me is they pretty much do the same thing all the way through here. In this case, I think the approach in USA sounds better.

Denmark(Picturesque - Unannounced) - Even though it's clearly doing something different, I feel the same way about this as Central African Republic, but with sound quality issues. Everything sounds a bit muffled and pushed together.

Cote d'Ivoire(Lyre le Temps - Rob the Banker) - This is an interesting combination that works well and sounds fun, but there are also sound quality issues. It sounds harsh, thin, and tinny. It's still a nice song otherwise, but it could have been better.

Egypt(Samm Henshaw - Broke) - I don't have much to say here, but this is nice and fun to listen to.

Liechtenstein(Blackway - What's Up Danger) - This is more compositionally interesting than Egypt, but not as consistently nice to listen to. Those about cancel out.

Argentina(Ajay Gogavale & Atul Gogavale - Yaad Lagla (I've Gone Insane)) - This a really nice composure of classical instrumentation with Indian flair. The flourish at ~3:50 is quite cheesy, but that's a minor nitpick compared to how good the rest of this is.

Asgardia(Gloryhammer - The Siege of Dunkeld) - This is enjoyable enough, but this song is really defined by its genre, which I have no particular like(or hate) towards.

Iceland(The Hirsch Effekt - Agitation) - This is as well composed as Argentina, but with completely different ingredients, and the composition adapted to match, so they sound nothing alike. I feel similarly about the two tracks though. This one might go on a bit too long, but I don't know what I would cut.

Canada(Cast of Alice by Heart - Another Room in Your Head) - There's not much notable in this other than the vocals. The vocals are quite good, however, which helps make up for that.

Singapore(Inori Minase (水瀬いのり) - Kokorosomali (ココロソマリ)) - There was a slight bit of synth+piano at the very beginning that reminded me of hip-hop, but otherwise this seems typical of what j-pop I've listened to, and pleasant enough to take in. I do wonder what j-pop with hip-hop instrumentals would be like.

Thailand(Postmodern Jukebox - Bad Romance (ft. Ariana Savalas & Sarah Reich)) - I'm not too familiar with most pop music past about 2005, but I am familiar with this song from when we analysed it in English class. When I first saw this in the entries I was afraid they'd butcher it, but for the most part they did well to adapt it. The one thing that I don't like here is the tap-dancing. Not only do I feel it is superfluous, but I feel they did real harm to the structure of their cover just to show off some tap-dancing chops.

Germany(VNV Nation - When Is The Future?) - This isn't really my thing, but its okay enough to listen to. Also, is it just me, or are the vocals a bit quiet in the mix?

The best lyrics go to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Also, if you can decipher my cryptic ratings, I think I was a bit generous on the earlier part of that list, and a bit harsh on the later part.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 4:57 am

Post by Vi »

I've finished my second pass. The fact that there are 25 people who entered AND two people sat out means... that's a lot of people participating :o

Spoiler: Selected comments for the entries that were in contention - SAFE FOR HEDGEHOGS
|
|
ARGENTINA -- Ajay Gogavale & Atul Gogavale {Yaad Lagla} -- Music to eat biryani to. The orchestra and Indian instruments working together distinguish it.

BELARUS -- Astronautalis {The Wondersmith and His Sons} -- I appreciate its pulse and commitment to going at its own cadence. I would probably like this better if the lyrics were someplace easily accessible.

CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC -- The Hoosiers {A Sadness Runs Through Him} -- I was expecting it to move from acoustic at some point, which speaks to some conditioning from Song Contests :V It's kind of nice to listen to; it flows well.

COTE D'IVOIRE -- Lyre Le Temps {Rob the Banker} -- I was hoping for a song about cheating at Monopoly and was disappointed. I appreciate the artistic vision, as someone who isn't familiar with the genre.

DJIBOUTI -- Slaughter To Prevail {DEMOLISHER} -- This is the musical equivalent of 5-Hour Energy and it does its job how you'd expect it to. Hard to rate because it's so dissimilar to everything else in the contest.

GERMANY -- VNV Nation {When is the Future?} -- Germany is on a commendable streak of putting some quality synthpop into contests. Being the guy in the video is :goals:, and I'm extremely fortunate to have done it once already.

GUYANA -- 아이유 {너랑 나} -- This is my kind of silky orchestral. I suspect that this experience is improved by not understanding the vocals, but I'm more optimistic than usual that this read is incorrect. Cool dance moves.

NEW ZEALAND -- AURORA {Winter Bird} -- I like how this sounds. It has the chords I'm into, it plays with its textures while still staying within euphony, and it generally keeps my attention.

RUSSIA -- Любэ {Не валяй дурака, Америка!} -- This and Asgardia are probably the entries that were closest to pandering to my interests.

SEYCHELLES -- KASHIWA Daisuke {meteor} -- The relatively-inoffensive-pretty-sounding lane is usually enough to get points from me.

SINGAPORE -- 水瀬いのり {ココロソマリ} -- The song is very good and is well-designed to accommodate the vocals.

SOUTH KOREA -- 블락비 {닐리리 맘보} -- Aw yiss the dirrty south is represented. It jumps, it pops, it's catchy, it's fun, it's deeply embarrassing to witness.

SPAIN -- Grails {Take Refuge} -- This honestly sounds pretty reasonable. It definitely helps that you caught me at a time when my brain is minimally functional.

USA -- The Ghost Inside {Aftermath} -- This would be pretty cool if it were instrumental. 3:45 was a great moment. Ultimately I respect its genuine commitment to its subject matter; it's pretty common for songs of tragedy and such to get submitted to the Contest but this one actually seems to be hitting me.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 5:52 am

Post by Vi »

but what I actually want to post is

Spoiler: NOT SAFE FOR HEDGEHOGS - This was a difficult contest to rate because most of the songs felt similar in quality.
|
|
===TIER: POINTS!

(12) GUYANA -- 아이유 {너랑 나}
-- This is my kind of silky orchestral. I suspect that this experience is improved by not understanding the vocals, but I'm more optimistic than usual that this read is incorrect. The transition to the bridge is odd, but other than that this mostly hits all the right (metaphorical) notes. Cool dance moves.

(10) NEW ZEALAND -- AURORA {Winter Bird}
-- I like how this sounds. It has the chords I'm into, it plays with its textures while still staying within euphony, and it generally keeps my attention. Not a huge fan of the vocals - more "eeh" and less "aah" - but they'll do.

(8) GERMANY -- VNV Nation {When is the Future?}
-- I'm not huge into synthpop but Germany is on a commendable streak of putting some quality examples of the genre into contests. It's kind of monotone but it does it right. Being the guy in the video is :goals:, and I'm extremely fortunate to have done it once already; tbh the video on its own may have pushed this into this tier.

===TIER: POINTS~

(7) SOUTH KOREA -- 블락비 {닐리리 맘보}
-- Aw yiss the dirrty south is represented. It jumps, it pops, it's catchy, it's fun, it's deeply embarrassing to witness.

(6) USA -- The Ghost Inside {Aftermath}
-- This would be pretty cool if it were instrumental. The transition around 2:20 or so seems half-baked. 3:37 was a great moment. Ultimately I respect its genuine commitment to its subject matter more than the songs below it; it's pretty common for songs of tragedy and such to get submitted to the Contest but this one actually seems to be hitting me. That's the primary reason why this is so high tbh; I still don't like how almost the whole song is in this vocal style.

===TIER: POINTS

(5) CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC -- The Hoosiers {A Sadness Runs Through Him}
-- I was expecting it to move from acoustic at some point, which speaks to some conditioning from Song Contests :V It's pretty pretentious - especially that chorus - but kind of nice to listen to; it flows well.

(4) SINGAPORE -- 水瀬いのり {ココロソマリ}
-- I respect that human beings can bring their voice into the moé register but it's one of the things I like least about Japan. The song itself is actually very good and is well-designed to accommodate the vocals, but I just... don't want to have my ears challenged like this.

(3) RUSSIA -- Любэ {Не валяй дурака, Америка!}
-- Entries submitted under Russia have a tendency to be at least mildly cursed. This and Asgardia are probably the entries that were closest to pandering to my interests. I'm not sure how I feel about the accordion-meets-guitar style but I don't hate it. There are probably better Russian-language novelty songs out there - or stereotypically Russian songs for that matter - but this one will do.

===TIER: POINTS?

(2) SPAIN -- Grails {Take Refuge}
-- This honestly sounds pretty reasonable. It's directionless background music, which is very not me, but I'm actually okay with this. It definitely helps that you caught me at a time when my brain is minimally functional. Eight minutes is a bit much though.

(1) BELARUS -- Astronautalis {The Wondersmith and His Sons}
-- There's a reason you're told in music composition not to write in octaves - they're hard to keep in tune, and I can tell. I appreciate its pulse and commitment to going at its own cadence. I would probably like this better if the lyrics were someplace easily accessible. The vocalist needs to eat another box of cigarettes to improve the experience.

COTE D'IVOIRE -- Lyre Le Temps {Rob the Banker}
-- I was hoping for a song about cheating at Monopoly and was disappointed. Is it supposed to sound vaguely reggae? I appreciate the artistic vision but I'm not into this enough to get into how repetitive it is.

DJIBOUTI -- Slaughter To Prevail {DEMOLISHER}
-- I get that they're Russian, but there's something about the extreme pastiness of this that makes it hard to watch :V Not the best band to wear demonic masks. This is the musical equivalent of 5-Hour Energy and it does its job how you'd expect it to. Hard to rate because it's so dissimilar to everything else in the contest.

ARGENTINA -- Ajay Gogavale & Atul Gogavale {Yaad Lagla}
-- Music to eat biryani to. The orchestra and Indian instruments working together distinguish it, but I'm not completely sure it works - the timbre of the vocals causes a muddying effect against the strings. This kind of happened and I'm not enthusiastic about it, but it's hardly worst-in-genre. I would probably say the same about any movie half-incidental track, especially with how some of its big moments feel inorganic.

SEYCHELLES -- KASHIWA Daisuke {meteor}
-- I'm not sure what this song is aiming for because the drum set and everyone else seem to have different ideas. The relatively-inoffensive-pretty-sounding lane is usually enough to get points from me but this one didn't break through. Someone should probably look at all of those traffic signals.

===TIER: NO POINTS

ASGARDIA -- GLORYHAMMER {The Siege of Dunkeld (In Hoots We Trust)}
-- This was a whiff, tbh. As entertaining as it is to imagine dark/fecal/robotic/space zombies eating England, this is deeply cliched and on some level it feels like they're not trying. The lead vocalist's weak grasp of English does not serve him well, and the song is not ostentatious enough to make up for it. Well, he found his true calling as a gentlegod later.

DENMARK -- Picturesque {Unannounced}
-- White guy with a guitar doing a LOT of emoting. Not sure if incel song. It wins some placement for sheer energy - that's a LOT of high pitches getting taken on - but there's so much self-pity here that it's kind of grating.

ICELAND -- The Hirsch Effekt {Agitation}
-- When I first saw the length I placed a bet that this wouldn't justify it. It was better than I expected but still didn't need its whole running length, and listening to it for any length of time caused me to feel exhausted. The vocals would have been better if they could blend in and make more use of those chords, but... this language only offers so much in that regard :V

GREECE -- Rotersand {Exterminate Annihilate Destroy}
-- It's a good hook but what's supporting it isn't working for me. Not sure if fascist song.

===TIER: NO POINTS.

LIECHTENSTEIN -- Blackway & Black Caviar {What's Up Danger}
-- That's a really strange fantasy-creature-dying sound. I appreciate the commitment to a lesser-seen genre in contests; I don't feel like this is a good exemplar of the genre though.

EGYPT -- Samm Henshaw {Broke}
-- Nice, both Pokemon Stadium 2 and Donkey Kong 64. Don't plug the cartridge in that way >:[ This is actually heavier than I was expecting. This isn't my style at all.

SUDAN -- 12RODS {RED}
-- The picture for this song has overwhelming '10s shitpost energy and I love it. The song is soupy monotexture. It's too clangy and squealy to leave in the background and it's too obnoxious to listen to intently, so overall it's... too noisy for me to go for.

CANADA -- Cast of Alice by Heart {Another Room in Your Head}
-- White people, guitar, emoting. I spent my whole youth listening to old people music and I got away from that. Whoever is playing those mezzopiano upper-register notes out in the 1:20 area is being asked to do a tough job and not succeeding.

YEMEN -- Colour Revolt {Ageless Everytime}
-- Very little of this went the direction I expected. I can see how this is someone's jam, but to me it's pretty nondescript if not tediously pretentious. A close cousin of white-guy-with-guitar-attempting-to-emote. There's no reason for some of this dissonance.

ARMENIA -- Cat Power {I Found a Reason}
-- This is another vocal style I don't have a lot of patience for. At least it's mostly in tune.

THAILAND -- Postmodern Jukebox {Bad Romance (ft. Ariana Savalas & Sarah Reich)}
-- So after the first round of the prior contest, I felt a need to detox, and I chose David Guetta feat. Sia - Titanium. Me and Equinox agreed that the song was good except for how it murders its climax in broad daylight, and E suggested a cover. That was how I found PMJ. I didn't really think their cover was what I wanted, but then this came up in my recommendations.

All of the good stuff PMJ did was definite 8 points maybe not 12 points for me, and it was agonizing to pick one performance to enter because there was something to have misgivings about in all of them. You barely missed out on seeing one of these others--
*"Hey Ya!"
*"Take Me to Church"
*"Pony"
Humorously, all three of those have been entered in some form during the past 15 Song Contests.

My country was Thailand because I screwed up. Laos is the one that criminalizes one-night-stands with foreigners (i.e. bad romances).

I may have heard the original Bad Romance at most once prior to hearing this cover. After (re)visiting the original, A) I understood why people reacted Like That to Lady Gaga, and B) I was impressed with how the Lady got famous, what with being saddled with both a Yankee accent and a southern drawl.
IHBTIM 96 wrote:Thailand - Bad but interesting! I feel more cultured for having seen this bad song
I see you have taste in bad music.
give me a point for it you cowherd
Last edited by Vi on Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

I like how seriously (some of) you take the contest.

(Not sarcasm)
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 6:27 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 101, Scigatt wrote:
South Korea(Block B - Nillili Mambo) - The intro was a little weird, but once the beat kicks in it all works out. It feels like stereotypical k-pop/rap, however oxymoronic/wrong that is or isn't(I have no clue on k-pop trends). It is well-made and fun to listen to, though. The outro is weird too, but also funny.
Spoiler: Response
The intro in the video is probably not part of the actual song. It's a Vietnamese folk song that is likely part of the artist in the video being in a Vietnamese-owned salon. Once the beat kicks in, the actual song is in Korean.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 7:04 am

Post by Scigatt »

In post 103, Vi wrote:
Spoiler: Stuff
(1) BELARUS -- Astronautalis {The Wondersmith and His Sons}
-- There's a reason you're told in music composition not to write in octaves - they're hard to keep in tune, and I can tell. I appreciate its pulse and commitment to going at its own cadence. I would probably like this better if the lyrics were someplace easily accessible. The vocalist needs to eat another box of cigarettes to improve the experience.
Spoiler: Response to that stuff
I wanted to post the lyrics there, but Youtube ate my comment. :( Anyways, this is still the most points you've given to a 'serious' entry of mine.

Two more things:
-Did I touch what you didn't like about your entry in my thoughts, or was it something else?
-I have some not-so-serious potential entries in mind that you'd hate, but that's not coming in a long while, if ever.

In post 105, Equinox wrote:
In post 101, Scigatt wrote:
Spoiler: Response
The intro in the video is probably not part of the actual song. It's a Vietnamese folk song that is likely part of the artist in the video being in a Vietnamese-owned salon. Once the beat kicks in, the actual song is in Korean.
Spoiler: Response to the response
Where does the sudden transition from a solo eastern-ish overblown flute to movie-style orchestra thing(with added stock sword sound effect) fit in here, because that was the weirdest part.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 7:07 am

Post by Cyril »

Spoiler: Response to the response to the response
hi guys am i doing it right
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am

Post by Vi »

Spoiler: for Scigatt
1) No, my issue is primarily that "freestyling" or going-off-rhythm vocalists tend to make me cringe. Also I'm not completely convinced that no dubbing occurred with the tap.
2) Not-so-serious entries I'd hate? They must be really heinous to pull that combination off :V
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 9:03 am

Post by PranaDevil »

I appreciate what you did there Vi. Thankyou. :)
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 9:30 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 103, Vi wrote:(12) GUYANA -- 아이유 {너랑 나} -- This is my kind of silky orchestral. I suspect that this experience is improved by not understanding the vocals, but I'm more optimistic than usual that this read is incorrect. The transition to the bridge is odd, but other than that this mostly hits all the right (metaphorical) notes. Cool dance moves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqdYqsrsA0
You might enjoy this song by the same artist that has been my favorite song of all time ever since it like came out
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 10:38 am

Post by Vi »

In post 110, Errantparabola wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqdYqsrsA0
You might enjoy this song by the same artist that has been my favorite song of all time ever since it like came out
I rate this song parrot/10

I'm not sure if I would rate this higher than what was submitted in this contest, but I can vouch that
that
part still turns heads in 2020.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I'M IN MY DREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 1:27 pm

Post by Cyril »

Argentina – Very explicitly a soundtrack song and, I guess, it’s not unpleasant? But I didn’t enjoy listening to it at all. (MEDIOCRE)

Denmark – I suppose it’s solid enough post-hardcore but the singer’s got that really nasal, whiny sound to his voice that always ends up sounding a lot drier than the genre really demands. (AVERAGE)

Belarus – Uuhh well. This was okay I guess. It’s kinda swingy and fun but I dunno it didn’t really do much of anything for me. (AVERAGE)

USA – I dunno. This just seems like a very generic/uninteresting –core song to me. I get that it’s accompanying a real-life event but, the song itself isn’t particularly… good. (AVERAGE)

Greece – I’ve kind of just come to recognize that anything that could be classified as “industrial” is an instant no-sell for me because I just don’t like this kind of synth sound, period. I appreciate that they do play with the meter a bit but otherwise… yeah no.

Egypt – Well, this is the first song thus far that I actually dug a reasonable amount and I don’t really have anything to nitpick here, other than I don’t think it’s… that special or that strong? (DECENT)

Djibouti – Yeah I think 30 seconds of this was enough for me

Guyana – Y’know when people call any j-pop/j-rock “anime music” it’s probably because the entire country seems stuck on the same kind of melodic phrasings regardless of genre. Like some of that comes through here, and the flow from piece to piece of the song felt a bit janky, but it’s… alright enough, I guess?

not shaping up to be a good contest thus far. even my mainstays of tool and peg didn't really bring me anything i cared for. oh no
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 108, Vi wrote:Not-so-serious entries I'd hate? They must be really heinous to pull that combination off :V
You won't hate this in the way that I was thinking of earlier, but I think an old entry of mine might qualify for this.

Zorn's Lemma(MIDI download)
info
Cyril wrote:not shaping up to be a good contest thus far. even my mainstays of tool and peg didn't really bring me anything i cared for. oh no
Who do you think tool is? I have a suspicion, but they're not in this set.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Post by Cyril »

suddenly realizing tool isn't belarus like i thought, oh
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 7:33 am

Post by Cyril »

South Korea – I can’t point to exactly why, but I listen to this and just have a strong negative reaction to this. I just don’t think this is what music should sound like. I can’t really rationalize it at the moment, though. (MEDIOCRE)

Russia – I guess there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with this but this is about the last thing I’d actively seek out. (AVERAGE)

Iceland – last year I made an entire video about this band so I don’t really feel a need to repeat myself

New Zealand – Whoa, a song I actually liked! That’s it that’s all I can be bothered to say. (GOOD)

Yemen – Hate the album art but this is otherwise pretty solid stuff, though it didn’t hit super hard either. (DECENT)

Canada – Hmm. This sure is a song from a play that, without any context, sure does have absolutely no meaning and sounds completely generic otherwise. (AVERAGE)

Liechtenstein – Parts of this are actually kinda cool, but, those verses…… (MEDIOCRE)

Central African Republic – Oh, yeah, this is pretty nice too. (DECENT)

Asgardia – My understanding is that this band is just a parody of power metal tropes. I don’t know about the lyrics as I didn’t pay attention to them but yeah this sure does sound like power metal. (AVERAGE)

ok
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 11:45 am

Post by pickemgenius »

get rekt i already submitted your #1
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 am

Post by Cyril »

yeah true
i would've held this submission for BOTB if they were eligible tbh
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 113, Cyril wrote:Guyana – Y’know when people call any j-pop/j-rock “anime music” it’s probably because the entire country seems stuck on the same kind of melodic phrasings regardless of genre. Like some of that comes through here, and the flow from piece to piece of the song felt a bit janky, but it’s… alright enough, I guess?
Imagine being this racist. Couldn't be me.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Post by Cyril »

Singapore – Same thing I said about Guyana applies here in terms of the sound but at the very least this is a more cohesive whole, I think? Admittedly I don’t tend to remember what most “average” songs sound like the next day. (AVERAGE)

Germany – Hmm the contrast of the synthpop/wave-y production with the more new wave-esque vocals is… something, but I think I would’ve preferred synthpop-y vocals, I just don’t like this style of singing. The actual production itself is cool though. Might go on a bit long though. (AVERAGE)

Thailand – See, I was going into this expecting to not like it due to my general stance on covers, but this is actually a good cover, in that it’s not just “X version of a song” but an actual reimagining in a different style. And it helps that Bad Romance is one of the best pop songs ever made. Wouldn’t prefer this to the original but I like it all the same. (DECENT)

Spain – For as long as this is it never really gets boring, I found this went by a lot faster than Germany for example. I don’t know if it’s something I’d actually seek out but there’s a lot of neat instrumental moments and I’m gonna get more out of relistening to it than most here. (DECENT)

Sudan – Wow this is 90’s as heck. I… don’t like this sound, unfortunately. That’s it. (MEDIOCRE)

Cote d’Ivoire – Why does this sound like a 240p video despite being 720p. I mean I already don’t tend to have much use for electro-swing and this is also reeeeally repetitive on top of that, but wow it just sounds. Bad. (MEDIOCRE)

Seychelles – Good thing it isn’t Stella, lol. I know City in the Lake already and I know this entire album has that one motif running throughout a lot of the songs so I felt like I knew this one at first even though I don’t, hah. I like Kashiwa Daisuke’s stuff but it’s not something I can sit through too much of before I get impatient. (DECENT)

Armenia – This is a song that sure does exist. (AVERAGE)

i can say with confidence: this was a contest
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 119, PJ. wrote:
In post 113, Cyril wrote:Guyana – Y’know when people call any j-pop/j-rock “anime music” it’s probably because the entire country seems stuck on the same kind of melodic phrasings regardless of genre. Like some of that comes through here, and the flow from piece to piece of the song felt a bit janky, but it’s… alright enough, I guess?
Imagine being this racist. Couldn't be me.
incidentally it would be bad even if he got the country right

--implosion
provided
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Just finished my ballot. The order of my 10 and 12 depended on whether I was listening though speakers or headphones, so I had to switch back and forth to settle on the order, and I'm still not sure I got it right.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

You failed miserably, and if it is the difference between first and second, you'll beat yourself up over it for all of a nano second.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Post by Scigatt »

All right, I'll go over it again. If I stick to one listening method or another, a clear order is apparent; headphones make one sound richer and fuller while making the other exhausting to listen to.

Edit: Okay, I think I got it right now.
Last edited by Scigatt on Mon May 18, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”