Newbie 1808 - Dystopia!: Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #1925 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am

Post by Prism »

That Kam lynch was still the dumbest thing, ever, and I am so sorry for spearheading that. The difference from MSPain just really got to me.

That lynch was
atrocious
and I honestly deserved to lose just for that, even ignoring the other two mislynches I captained.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1926 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:59 am

Post by Prism »

Like, rereading some more Day 4, I just kept asking myself "Why on fucking earth did I ever let this happen? Oh god, why was it
my idea
?"
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1927 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:04 am

Post by Prism »

Overall though I'm really happy with this game-my town game, specifically my reads, has always been
complete
dogshit, and I feel like I learned a lot from all of the mistakes I made. You can't be afraid of losing.

It was also simply just a ton of fun.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1928 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:05 am

Post by Mulch »

Anything anyone wants from me? I'm pretty sure anything I will say here is just gonna be nasty and I shoulden't be worked up over a mafia game.

@Prism I do admire your effort and your drive.

@Jingle very well played

@Paul I can't really blame you in this situation.
Amrock#3784
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1929 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:05 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1927, Prism wrote:It was also simply just a ton of fun.
not for me, at all, ever since I got my town role PM. Mafia role PM woulda been fun
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1930 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:07 am

Post by Prism »

Oh yeah Elbirn had been stubbornly refusing to play for a
literal
month, that slot was awful to replace in to. I was really glad to have someone try to save it and put some effort in and really appreciate you trying so hard there.

Everything I said at the end was true, though, and I hope you take some solace in that-I voted you because I'm bad and townread the mafia and scumread your slot. Spectators and reputation be damned (I still don't know anything about you outside of this game.)
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1931 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Keychain »

It's gorgeous art ffery! The pieces in order on his site are really interesting.

Mulch, you were the saviour town needed, when Prism voted Jingle last night I thought you'd done it. Nicely done and well played!
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1932 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1930, Prism wrote:really appreciate you trying so hard there.
No, I put my heart and soul into this game and then you had the audacity to accuse me of trying to sit back and let you fuck up, so no, don't say this to me ty
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1933 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 am

Post by Prism »

Oh yeah the artwork was great, especially as applied to the flips. They were perfect.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1934 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1931, Keychain wrote: Mulch, you were the saviour town needed, when Prism voted Jingle last night I thought you'd done it. Nicely done and well played!
Not really, I failed, I lost. But thanks anyway. You did fine, are you new to scum?
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1935 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:10 am

Post by Prism »

In post 1932, Mulch wrote:No, I put my heart and soul into this game and then you had the audacity to accuse me of trying to sit back and let you fuck up, so no, don't say this to me ty
I said that was what Elbirn had been doing.

You can tell me not to say it to you, but I felt it regardless. Deal with it.
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1936 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 am

Post by Keychain »

Mulch wrote:
In post 1931, Keychain wrote: Mulch, you were the saviour town needed, when Prism voted Jingle last night I thought you'd done it. Nicely done and well played!
Not really, I failed, I lost. But thanks anyway. You did fine, are you new to scum?
Yes. This is my first game as scum, which you clearly picked up on :-P also my first win yaaaay
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1937 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1748, Prism wrote:Killing your scumreads is again one of the bread and butter moves of experienced scum players.
Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong

And so salty that I lost to this from someone that's good at scum
Amrock#3784
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1938 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1936, Keychain wrote:
Mulch wrote:
Yes. This is my first game as scum, which you clearly picked up on :-P also my first win yaaaay
Yeah, you did fine. You'll get much better in time. I thought you were very good and at least could bullshit reasoning better than most newbie scum.
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1939 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:13 am

Post by Prism »

And I mean, you want to talk about pouring your heart and soul into a game, check out my ISO.

I cried over this game 4+ times, both of happiness and of regret, while it was still ongoing. As in, actual tears.

I know I'm the one who fucked up and not you and that makes it different but yes, I do get what it means to put your heart and soul into a game.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1940 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:15 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1939, Prism wrote:I do get what it means to put your heart and soul into a game
I never said you didn't.
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1941 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:15 am

Post by Prism »

In post 1937, Mulch wrote:
In post 1748, Prism wrote:Killing your scumreads is again one of the bread and butter moves of experienced scum players.

I maintain this statement is true.

I also wouldn't say that I've ever had a "good" scumgame on site, Miss List I played like trash and was a snoozefest. I wouldn't trust anything you hear from others or care much about their evaluations of my play; just form your own.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1942 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:21 am

Post by Prism »

I will never get over that Kam lynch, that was straight up wall of shame material. BB/Mulch are at least somewhat understandable even if wildly wrong but that Kam lynch was hands down one of the dumbest things I have ever done in my life, and I've done a lot of dumb things.
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1943 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 am

Post by Keychain »

Yeah, I have no idea how you ever thought that lynch was a good idea after I flipped.

Mulch wrote: Yeah, you did fine. You'll get much better in time. I thought you were very good and at least could bullshit reasoning better than most newbie scum.
Thank you for that - you picking apart my play was really useful.

Also NTRP I would like the credit for the EternalLurker NK thankyouverymuch, I can't believe you were using that as a reason for me to have an SE partner! :-P
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1944 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Jingle »

BTW, whatever Mulch may say about the endgame, Prism was definitely town MVP. El caught onto me pretty early, but he never had the reasoning to get me lynched. Prism got really close. His waffle was hilarious, but coming into a game where someone correctly townreads more than half the players as scum was fucking terrifying.

Just so all of you know, I replaced in at the beginning of N1 but the NK was all Key. She caught on to the fact that Lurk was fakeclaiming way better than I did and without her calling that we almost certainly would have lost. I was probably the best cop target in the thread at that point.

A couple of general notes, the activity in this game was atrocious. I can completely understand RL and the lack of time, but seriously, if you're going to commit to mafia you should be making a post everyday and you should try to read the whole thread before you do. I'm not saying not being able to play for a few days is abhorrent, but please. It takes a town to make an active game, and only active games are fun.

You may have noticed that I did four different styles of scumhunting here, and I'm going to give a brief overview, but you should as a newbie figure out which works best for you.

1. Traditional scumhunting.
Everyone did this to one extent or another. Poking at people, asking why they did what they did and trying to get in their head. You WILL need to work on this to be a good mafia player. It might not be the core of your skillset, but it IS important. As town, generally you want to be open with your reads and bounce ideas off of other people. Thus, as scum you generally want to be open with your reads and bounce ideas off of other people.

2. Mechanical Scumhunting.
Things like Night Kill Analysis, PR Hunting, and deciding whether to trust PR claims. I did very little NKA, because to be honest most of it led back to me. I did however do quite a bit of PR Hunting, both before and after the D2 flip. Even with the knowledge that town had no Power Roles, I managed to decide only Wheme or I could be legitimate doctor claims based on everyone elses reactions to the BP claim. That meant I had a decent shot of claiming doc, hence the doc claim. More on Lurk's claim in a moment.

3. Associative Scumhunting.
Pretty much the entire last day, and of course, when I tied Key and Pris together was built on this. Scum v Scum interactions LOOK different than Scum v Town. Of course, to use this correctly you also have to know the skill level of the person whose interactions you're looking at. Key was awesome when through interacting with me she made it look like we could never be scum together. I never would have made it to the endgame without that subtle support.

4. Meta.
Meta is both hard and easy to fake, but like I told Mulch, even those people who actively attempt to subvert their meta often have little things that the best at using it can pick up on. For example, some of my closest friends on site and I could accurately read each other within pages of the beginning of the game. Not because we were good or because everyone else was bad, but because we simply knew each other so well. Of course, personal meta is orders of magnitude better than second hand meta like in this game, and stale meta can in fact mean very little. But learning to use and apply meta, even if it's only with a few people, can be a powerful tool.

If anyone has specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them. I'm a couple years out of practice, so anything related to site meta should probably be corroborated by the mods, BB, or I'm sure I can rope in some old friends to answer in a pinch.

With regards to BB specifically, he is correct that there are a large segment of people out there can read him correctly. Mostly I just apply the template I learned from playing with Majiffy and it turns out right. On some level, but not the core, the rule of thumb is if he thinks I should be townreading him and I'm not, he's probably town. I'd also like to point out that I value few opinions higher than his on setup balance. That's not an indictment of anyone this game, but an admonition that there are people you will be unable to read accurately at first. For example, there's a literal list of people who I want copped as soon as I join a thread because I know that no matter what they do my head is going to scream at me that they are scum (see: Radiant Cowbells from 1805(I don't dislike RC, just can't read him worth shit.)).

With regards to the Lurker claim, it wasn't as bad as it looks at first. With that said, NEVER DO THAT.

Lurker claimed BP, which meant from his pov there was only one role that could CC him. The doctor. He had a 50/50 shot of no one countering and coasting until he could build up an innocent pool or get a guilty, which would have basically won town the game. Further, a doc is disincentivized to claim there because they know they will simply get shot. It was a high risk high reward ploy that could have payed off big. Unfortunately, it is not wholly uncommon for a doc to claim BP to dodge the nk, and even a BP isn't a never kill. I thought it likely Lurker was actually a BP (he didn't have the normal doc tells I look for in newbies) but still didn't object to the shot given that if he became a problem later (accurate reads) or replaced into someone I'm terrified of (A bunch of people who've siteflaked, but mostly AngryPidgeon) then I COULD kill him. Further, if a doc HAD counterclaimed him (which 95% of experienced players on site would do) then he or the doc would have gotten lynched D1 and the other would have been shot. It would have been D2 with literally nothing alignment indicative and nothing in the way of Power roles to balance scum out. 5v2 mountainous is incredibly scumsided, and Lurker would have been solely to blame.

More analysis later if I feel like it or it is requested.

Thanks ffery, for hosting an awesome game.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1945 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am

Post by Jingle »

I dunno about most. But I do that all the time. I love killing people I've been saying are scum.
This is a Parachute.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #1946 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:41 am

Post by Mulch »

In post 1945, Jingle wrote:

I dunno about most. But I do that all the time. I love killing people I've been saying are scum.
It's playstyle af lol
Amrock#3784
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1947 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

Post by Prism »

I mean that statement was literally exactly correct, the reason I didn't die wasn't because Vic was afraid he would look scummy or because he thought he could get me lynched. He left me alive because he thought, and was hoping, I would lynch someone else, and he was correct.

The reason I was alive didn't have anything to do with him being "afraid" to kill his scumread or of trying to get me lynched. It had everything to do with simply thinking I would mislynch and perhaps wanting to win against me specifically, but I'm not sure on the second one.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1948 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 am

Post by Prism »

Like the point of that statement if you read the original post again was "I totally see a world in which I'm alive when Vic is scum, but it's not for the reason you're suggesting."

"Playstyle af" is completely correct and the point. Killing your scumreads
is
a bread and butter scum move, it's not
always
what you do but it's a very common and easy trick. The issue was you weren't saying that, you were saying no scum does that, and a lot of them do.

Vic being scum and having the motivation you're saying he did are two different things.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #1949 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:46 am

Post by Prism »

In post 1758, Prism wrote:(I don't think the night kill entirely clears Vic, as he definitely
is
the type to leave me alive for a challenge, but I think he's town regardless)

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”