Newbie 2051: Iceland! - End!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
flow trap
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: cy/cyber

Post Post #2150 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Post by flow trap »

Is it actually Prism+Spartan :igmeou:
"I'm not coming to your house with a paper shredder" - Flow

"I honestly had no idea how to converse with (Flow). (Flow) brought up architecture to start with and I was like "oh do you like architecture" and then he was like "uhm no I know nothing about it." And then he threw something out a window??"
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #2151 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:23 pm

Post by Prism »

As much as we hate to steal steal ffery’s thunder, it should now be obvious: The game is over, and the scumteam has won. I understand that this loss is probably crushing. You have all played your hearts out, only to come up short.

You have to understand that you all played an excellent game-far, far better than you had any right to as new players. I am extremely proud of several of you in particular for the clear improvement shown over the course of the game.

Despite how it may seem, and despite the clean sweep, this game was not easy, and you did not just get steamrolled. You played well, extremely well, particularly from Day 2 on.
You have to understand that with how much strength and tenacity you showed, you left me no option except to crush you completely. You gave me no other choice. I simply could not afford to go easy on you. If I had given anything less than my all, I would have lost. If you think I am just being humble, or you don’t take my word for it, I am sure that fferyllt will have more to say.

I took detailed notes with extensive commentary, allowing you to see exactly what my thought process was throughout the game and what I was aiming for on a post-by-post basis. It was my hope these wind up being educational for you, both in strengthening your towngames and as a resource to draw on in your scumgames. I look forward to providing you all with individualized feedback very soon, along with a generalized summary of what I think were the most important takeaways/turning points in the game. Thank you for pushing me to the absolute limit. It was a pleasure playing with you all, and I look forward to seeing where you go from here.

Simultaneously, I can promise you that I do not look forward to our inevitable rematch.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #2152 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:23 pm

Post by Prism »

It is going to be tempting to give me the spotlight for this win, but Spartan was absolutely essential and probably the single best scum partner I have ever had. He played well Day 1, he came in clutch Day 2, and he did exactly what was needed of him to win Day 3. Becoming obvious mafia and seeming like he might be bussing floo was intentional, and is what got us over the final hill needed to secure the elimination. I took the more visible role, but this was 100% a team effort and I was only able to succeed because Spartan was so selfless in his play. It was a joy to be his teammate, to play with him, and time and time again he raised the bar for what level of play to expect from him. He filled in the gaps, he covered for me, and he made sure that we brought this home.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2153 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Vote Count 3-12

These improbable basalt columns seem to defy gravity, hanging from the sky like stalactites.

floo
(3): Prism, quiet, Spartan117
Prism
(1): floo

Not Voting
(1): flow trap

With 5 alive, it takes 3 to eliminate.

Deadline: February 9, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2021-02-09 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

- :]

An Elimination has been Achieved!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2154 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Post by fferyllt »

The Reynisdrangar sea stacks off the south coast of Iceland are locally and colloquially known as the Troll Toes.

Floo was a
Vanilla Townie

The Mafia team of
Prism
and
Spartan117
win!

Idic
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2155 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Thanks so much for playing! I'll post the private threads shortly!

Thread reopened.

Idic
flow trap
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2156 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 pm

Post by flow trap »

50/50/100

"I honestly had no idea how to converse with (Flow). (Flow) brought up architecture to start with and I was like "oh do you like architecture" and then he was like "uhm no I know nothing about it." And then he threw something out a window??"
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2157 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:43 pm

Post by quiet »

hey hey!

thanks for an amazing game everyone. Sorry I was somewhat checked out towards the end; I think I really should have been able to find a Spartian vote today.

by far the most fun I've had playing mafia so far, and I've got a lot to learn from this game. Sorry to town for not being able to let go of my read on Prism.
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2158 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Post by quiet »

bussing Spartian like that was a really, really good play. GGs to both of you.
flow trap
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2159 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:45 pm

Post by flow trap »

I knew I should've pushed the Spartan meta prism thing more :/

quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2160 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Post by quiet »

I think I end up losing in 3 person ElO even if I do find a vote for Spartian though. idk.
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2161 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Post by quiet »

flow trap the benevolent chaos god <3
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #2162 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 2157, quiet wrote:hey hey!

thanks for an amazing game everyone. Sorry I was somewhat checked out towards the end; I think I really should have been able to find a Spartian vote today.

by far the most fun I've had playing mafia so far, and I've got a lot to learn from this game. Sorry to town for not being able to let go of my read on Prism.
It is easy to blame yourself for being pocketed and not finding the right vote, but as you will see upon PT release, there is another measure that's important: The sheer amount of time, attention, and effort that the scumteam is spending playing specifically around you.
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2163 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm

Post by quiet »

yeah, I even raised that as a possibility; that the two options are floo is confused, EV- scum, or Prism is basically playing the game around me, that I'm the target for the miselim vote. I couldn't let go of my read though, despite how bad the floo/spartian team felt, and how much I started to like flow trap at the end. Close isn't quite enough to be there.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2164 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Mod Notes: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=85590&p=12500770#p12500770
Mafia PT: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=85591
Dead PT: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=85592

Prism, if you would like your notes PT made public let me know!

Idic
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #2165 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Post by Prism »

This post absolutely ruined my life.
In post 1346, fairyprincess69 wrote:gonna make a quick note here that as of page 30, spartan townreads Enchant according to his #746, while the wagon is pretty firmly on enchant. interested to see if he will commit to defending his townread or just let him die (i think he had been compiling this reads posts for sometime while the wagon was forming, so he might not have caught up with the events of the game yet)

his analysis of Prism in #746 is also pretty interesting, in that it reads as a null or even scumnull conclusion. i'm expecting scum to just outright townread Prism here to avoid a confrontation. also interesting that Spartan completely ignores Prism's interactions with Frederick, or at least neglects to mention them. Spartan's man fos is Frederick, so i'd expect him to take these interactions seriously, as i think this is potentially some ammo for his scumread. wouldn't he also factor into his analysis of Prism the fact that Prism is pressing Fred pretty hard? This is Spartan's main fos afterall - weird how he doesn't mention it.

i don't like Spartan's read list overall. he's just picking out things people have done/said and calling them scummy or towny. there's no focus on people's play
holistically
. i don't townread this math assessment of people - the "well they did 3 scummy things and 3 townie things, so overall null" there's no focus on how someone's play has evolved throughout the game. i'm hoping for better reads that i can resonate with later.
Prior to this, I wanted a nice, chill game where I set my partner up well, and annotated along the way. I wanted to simply force through one more miselimination, get voted out in 5 way, and let Salsabil get voted afterwards.

The second this got made, that was no longer an option: I no longer trusted that Spartan, while doing very well, was guaranteed or even likely to survive if left on his own. This post from Fairy has him, identifies that the interactions with me are off, and is just missing the last step. It didn't matter that Fairy locktowned me and townleaned Spartan, I could no longer afford to sit back.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #2166 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Post by Prism »

Yep, my notes PT was always meant to be public. Release it!
quiet
quiet
Goon
quiet
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2167 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Post by quiet »

frankly, I don't think I'm good enough at this stage to

well, I'll read the PT and see. It should be informative. Give me a year, maybe I'll get to a point of general competency.

My first impression takeaway from this game is to trust the mechanics more, when possible, and if the scum perspective doesn't make a ton of sense, it probably isn't correct.

thanks for modding ffery, by the way! I promise not to blame you for Prism's dirty, dirty, evil angleshooting (that wasn't actually angleshooting, you were great Prism, would get pocketed by you again in a heartbeat, 10/10).

I'll leave some thoughts for everyone when I get some time off.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #2168 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Post by Cabd »

This is the backup mod timing in to say well played everyone and also ego the thread so that I can go back at it and find it easily next time I play with prism so that I can quote that love wall to ffery.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #2169 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 68, Prism wrote:Just another post about me and my new best pal, fferyllt, yep. Best friends. Totally inseparable. Our families do Christmas together, godmother of my child, absolutely not just someone I've interacted with in two/three games. Nope. Best friends.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #2170 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Post by Cabd »

I have to say using me for the night kill was very innovative
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
flow trap
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2171 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Post by flow trap »

Even dead chat thought Prism was town

Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #2172 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Post by Cabd »

Now kids remember next time you see prism just link to this thread and then policy on day one If prism fails to catch the entire scum team
Show

fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2173 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 2166, Prism wrote:Yep, my notes PT was always meant to be public. Release it!
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=85642&p=12508280#p12508280

This is one of the most detailed player notes PTs I've seen at MS! It's well worth your time to read it and refer back to the posts he's talking about in the game thread.

I almost felt like Prism was showing me how it's supposed to be done, after my merely adequate scum game in the mini normal we played just before this game began.

Idic
flow trap
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
flow trap
cy/cyber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2174 (ISO) » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:02 pm

Post by flow trap »

Wait Enchant was the only one to call Prism scum :lol:

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”