Newbie 2086 - Reaction GIFs | End!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #850 (ISO) » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm

Post by catboi »

I was typing up a feedback post, which I usually never do because I never feel like I have any real wisdom to impart, and then my laptop crashed and I lost the whole thing. So I'll give a condensed version instead.

NK15's play was completely unjustifiable, he has a history of playing against win condition but took it a step too far here, he shouldn't be allowed in the newbie queue.

butterchurn, cape90, Greeting, you all were fantastic and very townie and enjoyable to play with.

VOID, the fault of the misread is on me, not you. I got tunneled and felt like you naming four people when I asked for a single name was a cop-out. But I should have tried harder to see you as town and understand your perspective. Making reads can be difficult when you're new but just keep trying your best. It's okay to admit to uncertainty but try to avoid being too wishy-washy, because that doesn't get you anywhere.

zefiend, your Day 1 was awkward, but I felt your Day 2 was good, even as I felt your arguments against Greeting were no good, it was enough to give the appearance of a tunneled townie. I think on Day 3 your lack of a commitment to a stance between me and Dunn was costly - I think in situations like that you need to decide whether you want to bus or go all in trying to win that day, and work toward that goal. As it was I was just never going to allow you to get away with fencesitting like that.

I guess if anyone has anything specific they want me to comment on, feel free to ask.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him; they/them

Post Post #851 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:57 am

Post by Greeting »

For the record, once the game is done or I am in the Dead Thread, I stop bolding player names. There's no particular reason to it, I just no longer feel like it.

I already pointed it out in the Dead Thread - the mafia's decision to NK me Night 2 successfully confused me and led me off the correct path. The problem for the mafia was, I was no longer in this game and my incorrect leads in the Dead Thread thankfully couldn't influence the game.

Thank you for the kind words, catboi! I really enjoyed playing this game too. Replacing into it was an impulse decision which I made within like an hour of finding out I got NK'd in Open 838. I do not regret it at all! :lol:
I did steal the slot from another player by being eligible to replace in as a Newbie though!

I feel like all the Newbie games have given me a lot and this one was no exception. I am really happy that you and other townies' judgement was correct and you led us to victory.

I enjoyed playing with y'all. This was a good playerlist and to those with whom I played for the very first time, I hope we meet again in other games in the future.

Last, but not least, a thank you to fferyllt for her exemplary hosting of this game.

In other news, I am now officially no longer eligible to sign up as a Newbie in any Newbie game. This sounds more serious to me than it probably should.
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #852 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:04 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

Good game everyone.

I got hard duped but those sudden turns onto people felt opportunistic. Well it was at least interesting to see some parallels between me and butter’s though process for a good chunk of the game.
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #853 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:05 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

And I was just spectating at that point.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #854 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:14 am

Post by Greeting »

@V0ID, I hope the experience of being voted out as town does not discourage you from signing up for future games. You have great potential and if I may, I might suggest as town you consider the game mechanics before you get overly stressed over miseliminating. Most mafia games involve miseliminating a townie and I don't think it necessarily always has to be a bad thing. Miseliminations can give valuable info to the remaining players. If you think someone is scum, you should press and pressure them to see and judge their reactions.

Caution is advised when it's Elo ("eliminate or lose"). That is when you should thoroughly think through whom you vote out. In Newbie games you have two chances (Day 1 and Day 2) when you can miseliminate without losing immediately. And that is, if you do not hit a scum member either Day 1 or Day 2.

@butterchurn, I feel like you've got too tunnelled over me in Day 2. While I understood your accusations and judged them to come from a town point of view, at times your posts felt to me like you had a strong case of confirmation bias. It happens to everyone though! Plus, it is true that I have never rolled scum yet, but I am very moody and my playstyle has evolved even in those few months that I have been here, on MafiaScum.net. In my opinion, trying to find meta by looking into things like "player x has not done this before as town" without having hard evidence of them doing it as scum is risky and can have many flaws.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #855 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:39 am

Post by catboi »

Kind of surprised at the commentary both from butterchurn and in the dead thread that zefiend's ISO case was strong - I didn't think it was convincing at all (no offense). In general you don't want to make a deciding vote based on who has the better rhetoric anyway, as that's tied to player skill rather than alignment. But the time he took to present something made me think it was likely a fabrication, and the points within didn't build a convincing narrative.

Kind of baffled at the logic on the kill some people were using - it seemed a straightforward conclusion to me that if zefiend/greeting were T/T scum keep them alive in the hope that one votes the other.
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #856 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:40 am

Post by butterchurn »

In post 854, Greeting wrote:@butterchurn, I feel like you've got too tunnelled over me in Day 2. While I understood your accusations and judged them to come from a town point of view, at times your posts felt to me like you had a strong case of confirmation bias. It happens to everyone though! Plus, it is true that I have never rolled scum yet, but I am very moody and my playstyle has evolved even in those few months that I have been here, on MafiaScum.net. In my opinion, trying to find meta by looking into things like "player x has not done this before as town" without having hard evidence of them doing it as scum is risky and can have many flaws.
I definitely did, but luckily I was able to recognize that and reconsider. Opposite to catboi, I think for me this game I'm glad I was able to rethink and work my way past my first impulses. I was also
very
close to voting catboi in Day 3, I was super paranoid for a while there. Not actually sure what exactly changed my mind, but I remember at one point going to sleep thinking "yeah it's definitely catboi/zefiend" and then waking up thinking "nah". If Dunn hadn't disappeared I might not have made that switch.
In post 855, catboi wrote:Kind of surprised at the commentary both from butterchurn and in the dead thread that zefiend's ISO case was strong - I didn't think it was convincing at all (no offense).
It's always hard to know what cases others will find convincing about yourself, but I just remember reading it and thinking "huh, I guess that does look pretty scummy" a couple times.
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #857 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:43 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

One issue I think I did have with this game was just the VOID elim which to me made almost no sense and has very little going for it in terms of an actual flip.
butterchurn
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
butterchurn
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #858 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:49 am

Post by butterchurn »

In post 855, catboi wrote:Kind of surprised at the commentary both from butterchurn and in the dead thread that zefiend's ISO case was strong
Oh, also, cape's comment about it in DT was sarcastic. At the time, zefiend hadn't posted the ISO case yet despite saying he was going to.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #859 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 am

Post by catboi »

In post 858, butterchurn wrote:
In post 855, catboi wrote:Kind of surprised at the commentary both from butterchurn and in the dead thread that zefiend's ISO case was strong
Oh, also, cape's comment about it in DT was sarcastic. At the time, zefiend hadn't posted the ISO case yet despite saying he was going to.
yeah I picked that up on a reread >_>
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #860 (ISO) » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:10 am

Post by Greeting »

There was also the issue of me weirdly phrasing my posts.

If you think my posts are chaotic, imagine what is going on inside my head! And add to that the fact that I'm not a native English speaker.

It gets annoying for me when people refuse to consider my perspective at all, that's when I start to get salty and bitchy or just outright start ignoring that player altogether. I guess I do have some room for improvement in that regard, but still, considering the fact that I let my emotions get the better of me in Newbie 2082, I think I am doing a better job with this.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #861 (ISO) » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:51 am

Post by PenguinPower »

<(") | (")>