Newbie 2096 | Nathan For You | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1700 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:00 pm

Post by Corwinoid »

In post 1690, Vasex wrote:
In post 764, Vasex wrote: if i need to decide right now with a gun to my head, i would elim these three slots: CHEAPSIDE, bbt, corwin
:cop:
You played an absolutely crushing day 1, with a couple of mistakes. Will give more feedback if you want, but I actually thought you were the most dangerous player D1 and we got lucky lynching you.
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1701 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 pm

Post by Corwinoid »

In post 1696, Bellaphant wrote:Gonna assume somnus' PT is just him shouting at me.

I think you've maybe got a point though about town sided: I don't remember it being quite like this when I first played newbies, or even when I first ic-ed, but it might be down to the PRS too - we used to have a fairly standard cop/doc/doctor/tracker(I think), and scum couldn't have day talk!!it may be the assumption that newbies aren't going to play the PRS very well, but in my recent newbie we played a perfect game down partly to our newbie pr, and this game we played without one. However, I also think that there's a lot of 'tone' in this game that sometimes newbies find hard to play with too.

Some of it is players though: I think corwin had different choices open to him.
I had my hands tied I think. I screwed up voting BBT D3, and I didn't think I'd be able to talk Somnus. Rad made technical mistakes D3 that I was going to use to attack him today and I just ran out of time and ability to try. Honestly we probably should have killed you sooner, but BBT hated the idea. Keeping Rad alive was risky too since he was so town early on.
Vasex
Vasex
Mafia Scum
Vasex
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1702 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 pm

Post by Vasex »

In post 1697, Corwinoid wrote:The second,
and most important
, is that I owe Vasex an apology. The way I came at you D1 was really similar to how I had ICs and SEs come at me in my game before this, and it drove me off the site for 5-6 years. It left a really dirty taste in my mouth. I hope you stick around and play more, and I hope this doesn't completely taint your opinion of the site.
Dont worry, it is ok
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1703 (ISO) » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:06 pm

Post by Corwinoid »

I hope you stick around man, your early reads were frighteningly accurate.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1704 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:02 am

Post by BlueBloodedToffee »

In post 1698, Corwinoid wrote:If people want play reviews I'd be happy to do that, also.

BBT, I had a blast playing with you. I'm sorry for the other things, it was a cluster fuck. I'd like to talk about that later.

Bella, it was fun. I was looking forward to playing with you. For some reason I feel like you were in one of my previous games, but I never checked... enjoyed the entire time though.
Yeah man, I enjoyed playing with you too. We made some mistakes for sure, always happy to talk about things.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1705 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:03 am

Vasex, you were very, very accurate in early game. I actually said in Mafia thread that your reads were very good but you lacked the social skills to get town on side with you.

HEM hit nail on the head in Dead Thread, identifying scum is such a small part of Mafia play. The hard part is convincing town you're a) town yourself and then b) why they should trust your reads.
Meta this. Meta that. Meta Everything. Meta is not a good scum-hunting tool. PEOPLE CAN MANIPULATE THEIR META. Stop it. Stop. It. Now.
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1706 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:57 am

Post by humaneatingmonkey »

I hope the game was fun enough that every single player in this game becomes a regular. :lol: Would love to actually play with some of you!
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1707 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:58 am

I hope so, too.

Would be nice for everyone, especially the newbies, to take a look around some of the other queues or even /in again for another Newbie if needed.

Hope to see you all around!
Rad
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #1708 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:52 am

Post by Rad »

In post 1697, Corwinoid wrote: Third... Rad: I was serious about the attitude problems and being condescending. That was coming from the player me, not scum me. Talking down to people in newbie games like "Mafia is hard" or telling Somnus "Maybe Mafia isn't the game for you" is really not okay, especially in Newbie games. I wasn't going to come at my defense with this as an angle, I think it's a serious issue. These games are to get people use to the forums and to welcome them into the site, not do things that might drive them off (see my second point). Please don't attack the person behind the game.
Hey Corwin gg. I was being sincere about your play. Not being condescending. There was a time when I was being smug and you called me out on it, because I think I had the game solved at that point (or close to it) and that was exciting for me. Just genuine emotion coming through.

"Mafia is hard" and "town is hard" is just me empathizing. Sorry it came across as condescending. It was legit though. I think especially town is super hard. Keeping up with lies as mafia is difficult but more difficult for me is creating reads.

From a gameplay standpoint, once I knew bbt and corwin we're guaranteed scum, I felt comfortable pressuring them in an overtly confident way. I feel like that's more if a tactic than an insult though. I want to throw your game off. I want you to feel like you have no hope at that point. If i kick back and let you speak without trying to preempt you, I'm letting known scum lie to town. No offense intended to that player there, you're just known scum to me and I want to make sure you fail.

Somnus was frustrating me when I told him that maybe mafia wasn't the game for him if he was town. Sorry somnus! I actually leaned heavily on him as scum due to his frustrations with the game. I didn't see how town!somnus should be frustrated at that stage cause I was having a great time. So I was really talking to scum!somnus there thinking that town!somnus was unlikely.

Gg dead town reads! Without such a clear read on bbt and somnus I almost surely lose this for town. Bbt had me in pet mode and a combo of somnus, whiskey, and dead town snapped me out of it.

Gg Bella for pulling that trigger here. Put in your position I probably lim Rad rofl.
Rad
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1709 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 am

Post by Rad »

Btw what are private threads and how do I use them next time? Just a way to track your thoughts throughout the game so you can share them later? I was using notepad for that :D
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1710 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:45 am

Post by Corwinoid »

In post 1709, Rad wrote:Btw what are private threads and how do I use them next time? Just a way to track your thoughts throughout the game so you can share them later? I was using notepad for that :D
I use excel. I really need to write a script to harvest votes and tag things with notes though.

I can't comment on the other thing further right now, but I'll either PM you or reply here when I can.

Day 3 the core technical error was once it was reduced to you, me, bbt, it couldn't safely be reduced further. If I'd had the bandwidth to stay active through that I would have hit you on it harder. Otherwise, yeah, you played a great endgame.
Rad
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1711 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:38 am

Post by Rad »

Some gems that I remember sticking out to me as we played.
In post 764, Vasex wrote:use logics, not shitty reasons, logics, explain to yourself in words WHY, WHY AND WHY everything in the game
Gold. This lead my thought process for trying to prove that BBT and Corwin were scum once I knew they were. I'm sure this will help me with my actual reads in the future. It's not about what someone's doing but why they're doing it. Figuring out the why from different alignments seems key.
In post 223, whiskey delta wrote:Just on this page I can tell that you are overthinking way too much and trying to hamfist your reads.

It's page 9. Let the game breathe a little bit - I've learned in my short time here that D1 on MS can be longgggggg
This was on point. In my future games I definitely need to keep this one in mind.
In post 228, whiskey delta wrote:Your posts can be bad and you still be Town. I do it all the time :lol:
Also great. I was looking for inconsistencies and bad posts and that's just not how town plays out.
In post 1117, whiskey delta wrote:I get that Town got screwed pretty hard by the play of Vasex and their elim, but it's still just a game. There are no real awards for being right or wrong, so in the future maybe don't be so all or nothing when it comes to your approach.
I parroted this point a couple times I think. It helped align my emotions quite a bit. End of the day it's just a game and really the only reward we get is playing the game in the first place, so no need to overly stress like I was.
In post 1241, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:We lose because if you're town you decided to go completely reckless for literally no reason and so you deserve to lose this game for that bullshit. That was insane, and if it is Corwin/Somnus, I'll be letting you know post game.
This is such a great scum move. It made me want to crawl into a hole and die with the idea that I was throwing the entire game with my play. Nooo I don't want to hear about how bad I am in the post game :oops: :oops: :oops:

One thing I have to change in future games is how invested I get. I need to at the very least cut that in half. The amount of effort I put in isn't sustaintable and I know that during the game, but it's still so difficult. I think if you were tracking a thread refresh count, I'd probably be at the top.
Cheapside
Cheapside
He
Townie
Cheapside
He
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1712 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:55 am

Post by Cheapside »

Thanks HumanEatingMonkey, moderation was very smooth and the frequent votecounts were helpful. Well played all.
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1713 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:09 am

In post 1711, Rad wrote:One thing I have to change in future games is how invested I get. I need to at the very least cut that in half. The amount of effort I put in isn't sustaintable and I know that during the game, but it's still so difficult. I think if you were tracking a thread refresh count, I'd probably be at the top.
Nonsense. You just have to get used to it.
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1714 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:43 am

Post by Corwinoid »

Echoing Cheapside. Thanks HEM. Hope the real life stuff you had going on D2 works out for the best for you.
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1715 (ISO) » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:17 am

Pay it forward by breathing new life into this site!
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1716 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:21 am

PTs are now all published. Thanks Bella for reminding me.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1717 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Also, I am sorry all for dragging out the bbt thing. I was thrilled to play with him but should've just elimed the slot straight away day three. Head and heart!

The scum PT was fun :)
Rad
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Rad
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1718 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 am

Post by Rad »

Yeah scum PT was a fun read. GG <3
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1719 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:05 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Never seen a PT 1/4 of the length of the thread ;)
BlueBloodedToffee
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
BlueBloodedToffee
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1720 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 am

In post 1711, Rad wrote:
In post 1241, BlueBloodedToffee wrote:We lose because if you're town you decided to go completely reckless for literally no reason and so you deserve to lose this game for that bullshit. That was insane, and if it is Corwin/Somnus, I'll be letting you know post game.
This is such a great scum move. It made me want to crawl into a hole and die with the idea that I was throwing the entire game with my play. Nooo I don't want to hear about how bad I am in the post game :oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm glad you liked this :)
In post 1717, Bellaphant wrote:Also, I am sorry all for dragging out the bbt thing. I was thrilled to play with him but should've just elimed the slot straight away day three. Head and heart!

The scum PT was fun :)
<3
Corwinoid
Corwinoid
Goon
Corwinoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1721 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:05 am

Post by Corwinoid »

In post 1719, Bellaphant wrote:Never seen a PT 1/4 of the length of the thread ;)
I literally laughed out loud when BBT claimed he had 0 input on running the scum game... too bad that played into Rad's notions of me as newbscum (also rather funny, given the PT) instead of painting Somnus.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1722 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:58 am

Post by PenguinPower »

<(") | (")>