Newbie 764 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Hello all, I'll be your other IC for this game. Any questions you have just ask me and/or Korts and we'll answer them to the best of out ability.

Random vote: Chaos40
for being the last person to post before me.

@Korts: Hiya! Long time no see.

@Chaos: Why use random numbers to determine your vote? Using a RNG (assuming you did) takes the responsibility for the vote off of yourself, and therefore renders it useless in advancing the game.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:06 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts: Hmm. So giving a reason such as "because West Wing is awesome" amounts to more than a random vote, and explicitly stating that it is random is somehow different than using a reason such as that?

Personally, the random phase bothers me, especially if it last for an overly long time (and I'm very impatient). I participate because it's the 'in' thing to do, and somewhat amusing, but I will generally try to cut it off as quickly as possible.

@Chaos:
Once the game progresses and discussion develops I will have more solid arguments and evidence to use as a basis.
Any reason you can't try to get the discussion going yourself? Why is it that you need to wait for other people to start the discussion.
Because, no matter how you dress it up, that's what the world is. A community of idiots doing a series of things until the world explodes and we all die.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts:
It's not the fact that Kairyuu's vote was arbitrary that bugs me. It's the fact that he explicitly stated that it's random, pre-emptively defending against any fake cases that might be built on it and giving him another reason to hop off the wagon in case it builds up.
I wonder, does the fact that it has become a serious vote since I made it change your opinion of it? As it stands, I didn't like Chaos' response. He backtracked a good deal when I questioned him, and I find that suspicious. So yeah, the vote is serious.
If Kairyuu is scum, Chaos is more likely as well--random voting a scumpartner is not unheard of by far, and with the attempt at denying any real responsibility for the vote I smell distancing.
It's a valid strategy, but quite a foolish one to use in a Newbie game. When an IC votes a Newbie partner, said partner is going to feel rather more pressured than if anyone else voted them; therefore making them much more likely to slip up and get lynched.

I would consider it poor form.
(Note that this percieved connection is only valid if one of the two turn scum, with it being more valid if Kairyuu is the one that turns scum.)
This is true of all distancing tells.

@all: If you haven't already, please comment on this minor flare-up between myself and Korts.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Post coming later if I have time after my homework is finished. If I don't then it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (isolation #4) » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts:
My opinion? This shift in seriousness makes things interesting, but not as much as your comment as above quoted.
That was kinda the point. :P
The shift might seem harmless, and justified, on the one hand. On the other hand, this shift hadn't been made clear in any way before your comment in quoted, therefore any validity or credibility it might have is immediately questionable.
That is arguably true. However, I'm not overly bothered by by credibility being questionable. I may actually have a plan right now. You never know.
Also, you say he backtracked, when all he did was vote on random numbers and have theory explained to him, in return to which he unvoted--a natural response when you're proven that your vote is essentially useless.
He initially just said he was waiting on discussion to get going, but did not pull the vote. It was not until I pressed him further that he unvoted. He did not unvote when the theory was explained. He unvoted when I kept questioning him. Quite possibly an attempt to placate me, which shows he is hesitant to enter a debate. This, in turn, implies that he does not want to be put in the spotlight, which is a scummy mentality.
Do you think that lack of knowledge or opinion in the business of random voting is a scumtell in any way?
Not really, but that's not why I'm voting him.
You aren't looking at this in the context of alignment, you are just trying to force a wiki-tell onto a situation.
Wiki tells are awful. I read them once and realized how easily scum can manipulate them. Tarhalindur's Standard Tells are much better, because they are less easily manipulated. However, the best tells are motive based, and don't involve set-in-stone actions. I tend to use those, as they are more reliable.
This is a fair point, and from the single previous game of ours this is what I'd expect of you. How many games have you IC'd?
This is only my second game as an IC. The first was Newbie 750, where I pulled a rather controversial gambit, and ended up catching both scum with it. I won't use it here though after some of the reactions of the new players.
Naturally; I'm just adding comments that seem like common knowledge to you for the sake of the newer players.
Meh. My comment was more to show I agree with you than anything else.
By the way, as a note: it should also be said that when noticing a connection, you should always note the direction that is implied in. For instance, something makes you think A and B are connected; it's not irrelevant whether A committed a tell that implies the connection or B; in the former case, A is scummier than B, but if B was the one who slipped, he is the more suspicious. It is a common mistake, one that I still frequently unconsciously make, to consider A and B equally suspicious, but this is a wrong assumption and can lead to false conclusions.
QFT

@all: Time for my first list of suspicious characters:

Bekkatha:
No read yet.
Chaos40:
See above. Top suspect right now.
Infinis:
Too much random. Don't have a read yet.
Japles:
No posts. No read.
Josh Lyman:
V/LA the entire time, so no read.
Kairyuu:
I'm a Night Kill Immune Miller Vig! I swear! Honestly though, I'm working on something interesting.
Korts:
Right up into the debate I wanted to start. It's going well. However, for the purposes of my plan, I cannot reveal what I think of him yet.
Ojanen:
Interesting, but not scummy. I like the questions. It shows you're trying to scumhunt.
Sando:
Essentially the same as Ojanen. Putting actual effort into the game.

Everyone who has their name marked with a 'no read' needs to start posting more content as soon as possible. Also, everyone should please take a stance on the debate between myself and Korts. It's for something I'm working on.

Alright. I forgot to post this before now, but this is the list of general scumhunting guidelines that I came up with in my last game as an IC:

Kai's Lesson 1 of being a good scumhunter:
The town does not need to know everything about everything at any given time. If they did, then this would only tell the scum exactly what to do. Yes, it is pro-town to share your reasoning, but it is also pro-town to catch scum, and the two things do not always coincide. Use your best judgment as to whether information you have would be best revealed or kept to yourself.

Kai's Lesson 2 of being a good scumhunter:
If you think someone is scum, then push them. Do not let up. Ever. If you worry about your image then you won't be able to effectively attack. And if you're wrong, then shrug it off. Don't ever lose confidence, because it is when you do that that the scum can start sowing the seeds of doubt in your mind. Never give up on your convictions.

Kai's Lesson 3 to being a good scumhunter:
WIFOM is not bad. In fact, its bad reputation has lent itself to be a very easy way for scum to get a bandwagon going on a townie without much objection from the town. When it gets right down to it, everything in Mafia is WIFOM to some degree, and the only way that we keep the game from being totally random chance is by analyzing that WIFOM to determine which scenarios are truly more likely than others. Things that in the current meta are discarded as WIFOM are merely more ambiguous versions of the tells we use every day. A good townie needs to be willing to actually look at the supposed "WIFOM" and "do the math" so to speak. You simply take the situation and look at it. Analyze risks and benefits if a townie was doing it, then flip it over and analyze it as if it were a scum's action. One of those will have a higher reward for a lower risk. That turns an automatic scumtell that ends up being discarded as useless into a nice it of information that could figure strongly into a case on either side.

Kai's Lesson 4 to being a good scumhunter:
Lurking is terrible play, regardless of alignment. It prevents anyone getting any sort of good read on you, and promotes inactivity in the game. Scum lurking to avoid slipping up, power roles lurking to avoid the notice of the scum, vanillas lurking because they are bored and don't like their roles; it's all the same. No one has any reason to lurk. It doesn't help your faction, and isn't playing to win. Don't do it!
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
@kairyuu, I actually read your last IC game, and the game you referenced it from, the gambit was pretty interesting. I did love how you caught out the D1 Goon. When i saw you were IC in this game, I was tossing around in my head trying to work out how to respond to it if you did it here.
It was quite a fun play to make. I was disappointed that people didn't like it much.

The interesting thing, is that this quote paints you as rather scummy in my eyes. You claim to have read the game in question, where there were several townies played it correctly, and you saw my and Albert's comments on that matter. Why then, would you need to work out how to respond if you were town? Ironically, that is almost exactly the description that Adel, from the time MoS came up with it, gave when linking to the game in MD.
I'd be seriously considering that he was using the last game as an example of how good it is for a townie to do while secretly being scum and trying it from the other side.
Heh. I don't even need to make the gambit to catch scum with it. Why would I do it as scum when I made the specific claim that I would not take a risk like that in a Newbie game? When I am scum I try to keep the scumteam intact (as Korts can attest to) as long as physically possible, and throwing myself into a majorly risky situation on page 1 when my partner is probably a new player is very much against my playstyle.

I think you've slipped up friend.
He was also sort of testing it in that game as far as i recall, so i figure he might want to test doing it as scum at some point.

He also said it was something to be used in moderation, so if he did it 2 in 2 newbie games, I'd have to think he was trying something different the second time, which would mean he was doing it as either a scum or as the doctor.
My above point remains valid.

@all: Time to reveal my plan, as it has served its purpose as well as it can right now.

My case on Chaos is utter crap in my eyes.
unvote

I had a twofold goal in mind when making my posts at/about Korts and Chaos:

1. Korts was a decoy. I specifically mentioned that I had a plan involving getting people to comment on our debate so that the scum would "see through" that issue, and react in the way I would expect of a townie; that is, they would agree with me. Based on that, I determined that Sando was quite possibly scum buddying up to me. However, this was the weak part of my gambit, because I can easily see townies buddying up to an IC.

What actually forms the divide between myself and Korts in this case is the fact that I was deliberately acting mildly scummy to get Korts to criticize me (of course, the 'random vote' issue was unintentional, but it served as a good starting point). Someone paying attention to that, and to what Korts was saying, would, as a townie (not 100%, but my estimate is that it's better than 60%) side with Korts and find me scummy, possibly even enough for a vote. A scum, on the other hand, would probably be more focused on the fact that I had a decent case on an easy townie target, and would side with me in order to have that route available to them in the event that the wagon gained steam.

2. My second, and main, part of the gambit was my case on Chaos. His unvote was a null tell in my mind (it could be scummy for the reasons I mentioned, but when he defended himself I got the impression of him being town, so I ran with it). He has defended himself rather well, and looks decently pro-town in my eyes. Sando however, fell right into my trap, establishing himself as backing me against Korts as well as Chaos, the exact behavior I was looking for.

vote: Sando

Given further developments, Japles looks like a townie to me, so does Chaos, Ojanen, and Korts. Sando is likely scum based on the above.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

This game just got quite a bit more interesting. Expect a nice, long post addressing every one of your points tomorrow Sando.

Oh, and thanks for the OMGUS by the way. It definitely tells me I hit this one out of the park.
confirm vote: Sando
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

I'll begin working on a (probably massive, given the amount of text that sprung up overnight) response post now.

@Sando: Quick note. I didn't post content last night because it was midnight and I needed to be up in 6 hours for school. You're complete and total obsession with discrediting me is noted, and will be commented on fully in an hour or three once I finish my post.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts:
Korts' addendum to Kai's Lesson 1: There are multiple schools of thought; full transparency of motives is a valid stance as well, since if you state all your thoughts and the processes leading up to your decisions it will be easier for town to read you, any flaws in logic will be remedied faster, and your thoughts may evoke others to find important clues as well.
QFT. I'll add that to the list for games from now on (and I may even make a wiki page eventually).
Kairyuu, you seem to not understand the term WIFOM. It is correctly applied only in a situation where there are two scenarios of scum and town and neither is more likely than the other.
That is the ideal WIFOM situation, and I understand it perfectly well. However, the number of situations where I have seen people call WIFOM on something that isn't too difficult to reason out far outnumber the cases of true WIFOM, so I feel the point is relevant, even if it isn't worded 100% properly.
Sparking discussion by becoming suspicious yourself is not something to be proud of. In fact, if this is done consciously, you are misleading and hurting town, and not actually spawning constructive discussion since you'e drawing suspicion to the only player you know the alignment of.
QFT. On the other hand, I endorse gambiting in all of its forms unless they are obviously flawed.
This is a very good point. And I can attest to Kai having played it safe in the past as scum in at least one game; but this is not a significant sample size, Kai, and I don't particularly like the implication that it is.
As far as I know it is the
only
sample available of any size. Large enough or not, it's all I have to work with, and I intend to use it.
To be honest, I don't particularly trust the result of your gambit, Kai, since it comes down to whether a particular player felt your arguments were stronger than mine, which opinion may be entirely independent of alignment. At best it is a minor implication toward Sando being scum.
Two-fold gambit. The point with you was minor. I thought I already mentioned that, but meh.

@Sando:
He got all sorts of responses, most of them negative, however he caught the scum because they expressed their lack of understanding of the gambit way too hard. They appealed to emotion rather than logic, scummy. (When i say 'they' I mean the first day scum, I don't remember the catch on the second day one, but it was a 'perfect' game).
Second day scum was a lurker who proved she was reading the thread but not posting. But that is neither here nor there. If you have a point in regurgitating all of this information then I expect to see it soon (note: I'm posting this as I go. I have merely skimmed the rest before now).
Now, my 'tell'. Kairyuu said quite a lot of things that game, i would REALLY recommend that if you wish to vote me over this that you read the thread, if nothing else it's interesting. I've linked it above, just read D1 and the end.
Explain this. Why do people need to meta me before voting you?

(Meta: To read previous games played by a player in order to get a feel for the way they play as scum and town in order to get a read on them in a current game)
Kairyuu, after being hounded for the gambit all game (more for using it in a newbie game than for it being a bad gambit), agreed not to use it again in a newbie game. Now we're deviating into hypotheticals, because i'm now talking about if he'd claimed doc this game.
First off, I agreed not to do it for awhile. I will probably try it again over the summer sometime.

Secondly, All this is is waffle. I see no actual explanation thus far.
If he'd claimed doc this game, he'd have been lying when he said that he wouldn't use it again in a newbie game, not a good start i would say.
But I didn't, so this is totally null.
Thinking meta, i'd have to wonder if he wasn't in fact trying the same gambit and was trying something new, ie not lying due to a technicality. If he did this, he was 1 of 2 things, the doc or a scum.
Really? Why? First off, why would I pull it as scum after having specifically mentioned when I first used it that using it as scum would be a stupid move and I wouldn't want to run the risk of ruining the game for my scumbuddy? Secondly (and this is a theory question that I would just like an answer to), why would I pull a gambit that attempts to draw the N1 kill as its main purpose if I were the actual doc? What pro-town purpose would it serve for me to say "kill me" to the scum when I have a potentially useful power role?
Why would you do it as Scum Kairyuu? For interests sake? To try it out, see how it goes? Since it worked so brilliantly the first time, why not try it out as scum? You're playing a game after all, the way to get better at it is to try new things.
I wouldn't. See above. Stop trying to discredit me.
Why would I have to work out how to respond to it? If you had done it in this game I would not have believed that you were a vanilla townie, simple as that. I would have worked off my belief that you were either the doc or scum. As a townie, I don't really want to be in the position of thinking some is either the doc or scum.
The gambit is
designed
to make you think I am the doc, and allows for people thinking I am scum. How this is any different than the way you would have played it if you were in that game, I am not seeing (especially considering that, while the gambit allows for me to be a vanilla, it relies on the scum believing that I am not).

OK. So after reading that entire post, all I got was that it was irrelevant waffle and a shot at my credibility. If this is part of your full case then you need to rethink it.
KvK was based around Korts complaint regarding Kairyuu 'random' voting. I personally think it is a very silly argument, but hey, it gets discussion going. It's all based on semantics in my opinion.
I like arguing semantics. It's fun to catch scum in a slip in their choice of wording. I'd post a link to a specific game, but it's ongoing.
And unless i misunderstood the question, i stand by this. In my view, Korts got 'angry' at Kairyuu for random voting when he was in fact arbitrarily voting. He also didn't like that Kairyuu seemingly made a big deal out of it. I think it was very semantic of Korts, although i felt that it promoted discussion, which is good.
I believe I've stated twice already now that the minor point of myself vs. Korts was merely an indicator light, and if I hadn't been looking elsewhere as well I would have probably ignored it for the most part.
I should point out that my 'taking your side' was purely on an argument regarding the semantics of random voting, it had nothing to do with you accusing Chaos, which i addressed in my next paragraph:
See above.
Note that i made sure to seperate these 2 things, you're now trying to tie them back together to make a fairly weak case.
My case is weak? They are two completely different points, and one I even
claimed
was not strong. This is Straw Man Argumentation. The fact that one point is weak does not mean that the argument is weak. This is a logical fallacy.
I agreed that there was some scumminess to Chaos's actions, although now that you've retracted them, I guess i now disagree with you. I still believe that his unvote was scummy, whether or not you say it is a scumtell or not.
Your case on Chaos was 100% taken from what I said. It isn't a matter of whether or not you agreed with me. It is more that you didn't even try to put your own spin on the case.
However, I did not feel that you had built a sufficient case on Chaos to make me change my vote from Japles to Chaos. I think my quoted text speaks for itself really, I saw your point regarding Chaos but I didn't think it merited a vote, still didn't even when I went through and pointed out why i thought it was scummy with a timeline of sorts.
One vote a successful bandwagon does not make. I am reasonably certain that, had others jumped on Chaos with votes, you would have been right there with them.
I just want to be clear, I seperated my answers between the KvK debate and KvC debate, i think you're taking my KvK answer and applying it to the KvC debate.
Nope. I addressed them separately, and your single accusation in this post (that my case is weak because one of my points was weak) is a straw man.

From this post all I got was more waffle and another attempt at an attack on my credibility, this time by calling my case weak and then just reiterating your own actions.
Why is this odd? Kairyuu got accused of being linked to Chaos because he voted for him. What does he do? He makes his vote 'serious'. He then says that it would be a silly thing to do in a newbie game, however, this is a quote from the 'doc' game that this blew up over:
I am protective of scumbuddies when I am scum. I would rather a perfect game than one where we squeak by with a single live member. I would consider random voting a scumbuddy in any game to be a stupid move, because it creates a connection that can be looked at later if one of you dies.

Now for the remainder of this point.
Posts 50 and 68 respectively in the game i linked. So Kairyuu has changed his mind and is advocating playing differently in this game when he said clearly in the other game that ICs should play hard. Also, while it is apparently a silly move, you also send a signal to your scumbuddy to not worry about the vote by saying that when an IC scumbuddy votes a newbie it puts pressure on them. This is pretty subtle in saying that he shouldn't feel pressured, but when combined with your previous comments, it seems like a nice way to look like you're pressuring him when you're not.
How does that even make logical sense? I mention it being bad play, and even site an example game, and that means that I am scum doing it? This is a
huge
reach for something that doesn't even make sense. Read the IC guide that Vel posted a link to in post 0. My role as an IC would trump my role as scum. If I were scum and doing that, telling people that it is bad play is terribly unethical, and I would deserve to get kicked from the game immediately and banned from ICing for teaching people wrong information just to get a win as scum.
Now i figure if i can start getting you to talk about a previous game, you'll screw up, and you did, i just didn't notice till now. You've changed your mind from 'don't treat newbies with kids gloves' to 'IC scum need to be careful not to put pressure on their partners in newbie games'. I think the reason you've changed your mind is because you're now scum.
First of all, repeating it does not make it true. Second of all, if you read all of my games in the order I played them you will notice major discrepancies among games of the same alignment. I am still developing a consistent playstyle. Either way, you didn't get me to do what you claim you did, and saying that you planned it all along is scummy as heck.
Wow, people start actually looking at Chaos in depth, and now the case is 'utter crap'. This is pure distancing, you lead the charge on your protege scum, then once you FORCE people to associate their vote on chaos with agreeing with you, you pull the rug out from under them, thereby destroying any scumhunting on chaos.
Firstly, distancing would be my actually trying to get him lynched, which I didn't do. Hell, I unvoted when I was still the only vote on him.

Secondly, distancing tells apply if, and only if, one of the two in question is dead. This has already been stated by Korts.
Then when i reply regarding the Kairyuu vs Korts debate, you attack me for my views on the Kairyuu vs Chaos.
That was kinda the point, which I mentioned when I voted you. This is IIoA (Information Instead of Analysis), which is what approximately 80% of these first 3 posts have been. It's one of Tarhalindur's Standard Tells that I mentioned earlier, and it seems to be an attempt to make it look like you are building a huge case against me when you are creating one or two points out of thin air and OMGUSing me.
You also say that i'm buddying up to an IC, yet the argument was between 2 ICs and you asked us to take sides... You deliberately manipulated someone (me) into getting the tag of buddying up to an IC, there was no way to avoid it.
Saying "I agree with Kairyuu/Korts in their debate" =/= taking my case against Chaos and spitting it back out almost verbatim as your own. Different scenarios even. I didn't
manipulate
you into doing anything. I predicted what a scum would likely do in a given situation, and you fit the description, so I voted you.
Not before your buddy can find something 'scummy' in my post though.
I respond to this, and Kairyuu takes over the 'scumhunting' for Chaos, that's nice of him, don't you think?
So because Chaos asks a question that relates in some way to what I later bring up, not only does he have to be my scumbuddy, but it has to have been a deliberate play on my part? Honestly, your points are coming out of nowhere, and they are illogical to the extreme.
Now, fine that he changes his mind, but it seems pretty oportunistic in light of everything else to jump on someone you previously thought was 'interesting, but not scummy'.
Think about it for a second and stop using straw men. What did I say about Chaos in the
very same
analysis post? That's right, that he was my top suspect for scum. The opinions mentioned in that post were made when I was still functioning under the gambit, and it was before you had walked into it to the point where I was confident enough to attack you.
This all feels like amazing distancing from Kairyuu, he didn't just vote on Chaos, he pulls his vote in such a way that noone else can really vote for Chaos. I still don't feel that Chaos has defended himself adequately, and Kairyuu's defence is
Vote Chaos all you like. Korts still finds him suspicious and I haven't said anything to him, have I? If you are going to make generalizations then make sure they are valid. Plus, my point about distancing still stands.
His unvote was a null tell, but could have been scummy... And when he defended himself, he got the impression that he was town, that's some pretty good scumhunting Kairyuu, thanks for sticking to your convictions like the rulebook says we should.
An unvote after pressure could be scummy, certainly, a weak scumtell, but still scummy. However, his subsequent explanations did not seem scummy to me. Simple as that. I pressure people for reactions when I think that may be scum. Interesting to note is that you are trying to discredit me again with your mention of the rulebook.

On the matter of the rulebook though, it is by no means a complete guide to playing mafia. There are literally hundreds of ways to play, and trying to claim that because I do not play in the style of a rulebook that I haven't glanced at in about 8 months is nothing but a weak attempt to make me look bad.
Kairyuu has distanced, changed his mind from his previous newbie game, and manipulated me into the tag of IC buddying. He's also effectively killed discussion regarding his previous 'suspect' based off his gut. All well and good to vote with your gut, don't destroy the possibility of us discussing it without looking scummy. Kairyuu, you're scum.
So I'm scum based on a case which has literally zero actual valid points? Sure thing. This is OMGUS dressed up with straw men, IIoA, and attacks on my credibility instead of actual scumtells. I am happy with my vote right where it is, and would not be adverse to lynching you right now.
Why the vote for Kairyuu, other than that he's scum? Well I'm convinced of Kairyuu, but I'm still not convinced that Japles isn't scum. The other reason that Kairyuu could be coming after me is that i refuse(d) to remove my vote from Japles. I think the most likely explanation is Kairyuu/Chaos as scum, but i don't discount the possibility of Kairyuu/Japles.
-facepalm-

More of the same.

So, in your 3 posts in rather rapid succession, you have posted almost nothing of value, and instead waffled on and on, and followed it up with logical fallacies, points that directly contradict things that I and other people have said, and attacks on my credibility. Forgive me if I don't see any point in your calling this a 'case.'

Moving on.
I've explained why it isn't OMGUS.
No, you pretty much proved that is was by doing something very similar to what I did myself D1 in the first game I was scum (Mini Theme 658: Facedown and Thirsty Mafia, the one I played with Korts) after getting a few votes on me. I waffled for awhile and then OMGUSed on of the people voting me. I got away with it by subverting the OMGUS call, but I'll not be fooled by my own trick.
When you started taking me out of context and i started feeling manipulated, I went back and reread the thread and some of the 'doc' thread, then i posted my thoughts. You forced me to respond to your accusations, in writing them i realised how manipulative you were being.
So in other words, when other people agreed with me you went back and read to try to make up a case against me that might shift the wagon to me. Not gonna work.
You were a lot more obvious with your manipulations in your last newbie game, and you seem to have changed a lot since then, both in actions and views. Considering you were vanilla then, that doesn't bode well for you being vanilla here.
I changed very little. I'm still pulling gambits whenever I see an opportunity and revealing them to the town. I'm still aggressively pushing my cases. And I'm still playing to catch the scum. The only reason that I didn't come right out with this one before I used it was because doing that would have invalidated it as a strategy by
telling the scum what I was looking for
Feel free to correct my view of OMGUS, you making a case against me where i felt manipulated and taken out of context, combined with me knowing that i'm townie, set me to looking at the person accusing me. I didn't think this is OMGUS, but i realise that you want people to think that's why I'm doing this, and i respect that, scum.
Already done. A note though. I am quite impressed by the way you are addressing me as 'scum' instead of by name now. It's quite a good intimidation tactic, and one I've used myself several times.
By the way, as an IC, how come that you know that a quick lynch is almost never good for town, you know i'm at L-2 (you just posted) and yet make no mention of it. Thanks for confirming my views on you.
I like quicklynches. As soon as I am confident that someone is scum I want them lynched so that I can move on to the next scum. It's the way I play, and it is reasonably effective (which, of course, you know, seeing as we lynched the scum roleblocker on page 8 and had a 24 hour D2 that ended the game in Newbie 750, which you seem to only want to cite when it serves your purposes). You can stop taking jabs at my credibility already. None of them have been valid, and I highly doubt that any will.
Kairyuu also didn't let it play out, he saw an oportunity with the doc game comment and went for it. I hadn't even voted for Chaos40 and i've 'fallen into his trap'. That's a pretty pathetic trap, if to fall into it you don't even need to vote for the bait (or even FOS for that matter)
More attacks on my credibility. This is getting pathetic. Pull the other one. It had bells on it. :roll:
Since I'm going to bed soon, and last time i did that 3 votes came up on me, and 3 more would be 1 more than needed to hammer, i think we should have the quick-lynch talk. I personally think that one reason Kairyuu didn't post a longer reply earlier was that he was hoping you'd quick-lynch and he wouldn't have to worry about the annoyance of being questioned by me.
See above.

The rest of that post is more IIoA and more attacks on my credibility. In regards to your point on quicklynches though:

@all: As a general rule, it is said that discussion is good for the town, and quickly ending the Day is good for the scum. That is based on some playstyles. Others prefer methodical, swift Days, with a reasonably quick consensus lynch after some scumhunting. I am of that second group. As long as there is enough information for a lynch, I tend to want that lynch to happen. That is just my style, and other styles are perfectly valid as well.

@Ojanen:
@Kairyuu: Confirm vote: wasn't mentioned in the rules, what is it, a game mechanic or a rhetorical device for weight?
It essentially just means that I have been further convinced that my vote is in the right place. More of a rhetorical device than anything.

@all again: Whoooo. That took quite awhile. Have fun sorting through it all. 8-)
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (isolation #9) » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

-twitch-

Ya know, I like long post as much as the next guy, but this is rather excessive. I'll respond later tonight or tomorrow, depending on if/when I can get my homework done.

A quick note though. Your last two posts are complete misreps of everything I said. Why exactly haven't you been lynched yet? :P
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (isolation #10) » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Sando wrote:'yours is bigger than mine', i hoped never to be forced to say that to another guy
I'm so sigging that right now. :D
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (isolation #11) » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

More later by the way. I'm still working.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (isolation #12) » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

I'm getting started on my post now. Hopefully it'll be up before too long.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (isolation #13) » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

OK. Maybe not. Totally forgot that my Fourth Quarter Thesis assignment is due Monday.

Please consider me V/LA until Monday night

Sorry. I'll get back with a nice one then.

unvote
because I want to speak before a lynch happens.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #103 (isolation #14) » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:49 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Let's get this thing started shall we?

@Infinis: One point to address from your last post.

The probability of both ICs being scum is extremely low, approximately 2.78% actually. This is determined through simple multiplication. The first IC has a 2/9 chance, and assuming that happens, the second one has a 1/8 chance, making 2/72, or 1/36. or 2.777777778%.

However, that isn't really the issue here.

@Sando: You'll have to bear with me on this. I'm going to condense my argument as much as possible for the sake of time.

1. I no longer feel as strongly that you are scum. You remind me very much of a friend of mine when he first started playing here (playername: Isacc). I think that it is much more likely that you are newbie town pushing back against what you see as suspicion that could only come from scum (the "since I'm town, people who attack me must be scum" point of view). This is a behavior that you will need to move out of. My following points will exemplify the problems with your argument.

2. As soon as you were accused, you immediately went back to dig up anything you could find on your accuser. This is a very bad idea, because it opens you up to all sorts of OMGUS accusations, regardless of whether or not your case is solid. If it isn't, (the situation you are in) then it is even
more
likely that you will be accused of it, because it looks like you are merely fabricating a desperate counterattack to allay suspicion.

3. Your original defense was a load of waffle. You didn't make any serious accusations until your third response post. Instead, your posts were just filler to take up space and make it look like you had a long case, even though you didn't.

4. Instead of actively trying to disprove my case, you came at my credibility as an IC, which irritated me to no end. If you cannot logically disprove my
, then resorting to painting me as an unethical player is
not
the way to go. Prove me scummy, not incompetent.

5. When I responded to your points, you took what I said, and you warped it to suit your own agenda. You quoted me, and then accused me of doing things that don't even make sense, and would be far too complicated for me to attempt without making major mistakes (assuming that I am scum, which I am not).

6. When I brought this up, you turned around and accused
me
of the exact same thing. This is terrible OMGUS, and just shows that you are getting backed into a corner and are being forced into a completely defensive, reactionary posture.

All of those are common newbie town mistakes that lead to a high D1 town lynch rate in Newbie games.

And yes, I know that I am changing my position a lot this game. I wasn't able to polarize it to my liking, so I'm still working on my final reads.

@all: Picking up a prod, but not responding to it by posting in thread is a scumtell in my book. I've seen scum do it too many times to ignore it.

vote: Josh Lyman

FOS: Bekkatha

Anything else I forgot to comment on gets to wait until tomorrow, as I'm still busy.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (isolation #15) » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

This is exactly true Ojanen. The problem is that people like to get it into their heads quite often that the ICs working together on anything automatically makes them scumbuddies, when the likelyhood of that actually being the case is only 2.78%. It isn't meant as a defense of anything, only to point out a problem with Infinis's automatic assumption.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (isolation #16) » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:17 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@all: Post tomorrow. Gotta write a book (literally).

@Sando: First, don't change your style because people are bothered by it. I am naturally long winded too. I just have been extremely pressed for time of late.

Secondly, it has not been the length of your posts that has kept me from responding to all of your points (however, your implication that this has been an ongoing thing instead of simply one post made while pressed for time is still not appreciated), it has been the fact that I am enormously busy lately, and am trying desperately to keep up with everything plus Mafia. It isn't quite working.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (isolation #17) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am

Post by Kairyuu »

'ello Millar. Good to see you again.

@all: My apologies for being so inactive lately. I just started my Easter Break, so I'll be around a good bit more for the next week or so. I'm getting on a post right now.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (isolation #18) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:46 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
1: Am I right in assuming this is only a newbie mistake if you're not scum?
No. The vast majority of that post was written in my role as an IC, not my role as a player. The things I accused you of are not up for discussion. You did them, and that is that. They are scumtells, but I believe you are somewhat more likely town backed against a wall and making mistakes because you are new. I will not comment further on my list.
You're change from voting me to JL and Bekkatha I can understand from a townies POV, but not from the POV of someone who advocates a quicklynch.
You are really stuck on this aren't you. Everything anyone does in this game is entirely situational. In this case I saw a stronger tell coming from a different source. That tell has been dealt with to my satisfaction now, so I am moving on again.
You wanted a quicklynch, despite knowing that there were at least 2/3 people who had failed to respond, has your view on quicklynches changed?
Nope. Does switching my vote imply that? How so? I expect full explanations to both of these questions.
If not, since you now think i'm a newb townie, wouldn't it have a been a mistake to quicklynch me?
Townies get lynched. It happens. If we had lynched you, and you had flipped town, I would be disappointed, but not overly distraught. We have 3 strikes after all.
This is especially true given that you guys put me at L-1 without requiring a response from the 2 people you're now accusing.
I am not going to just let the game stall because some people don't feel like posting. A lagging game is far worse than one where we accidentally lynch a townie D1.
Why did you think you had caught scum before they had voted for your bait, or FOS'd him even?
Take a look back at my explanation of it, and point out to me, with quotes, where I ever said that the point was to draw a vote onto my bait. If you can do that, I'll cede my point. But, you won't find it, because that was not the goal. The goal, as I said
repeatedly
was to catch someone who was acting in a specific way which would be conducive to scum angling for an easy lynch. You did that, so I sprung the trap. If I was right then I am going to regret backing off of you, but if I am wrong as I now think, there is very little lost, and it got discussion rocketing off.

Besides, it is a gambit based on
behavior
. There is no way in hell someone can expect it to be 100% accurate. If I can catch 1 scum every three times I try a gambit like that, I will be happy, because it is not an extremely powerful gambit. It got you into a debate with me though, which allowed me to read you much better. I'm calling it a success, regardless of whether or not you liked it.
Given that you claim to be a townie, and by your own admission you looked scummy, why wouldn't a scum take the opportunity to accuse you instead of Chaos or Korts?
That was the main problem with my gambit when I made it. I didn't take that into account, and I had to adjust to the Chaos angle to strengthen it (yes, this means the final product is a weird hodgepodge of 3 different gambits).
You said that scum would jump on Korts because he was a townie, how did you know he was a townie?
Wanna show me where I said that Korts was a townie. I said I believed him to be probably town based on my initial reads, so I used him as my debate opponent.
He voted for me after I lumped him in with you and Chaos as a passing reference, considering your crusade against OMGUS, do you think this was OMGUS from him?
What Japles did was not OMGUS. You lumped me in with him on page 3. He made 2 posts between the point where you accused him and the one where he voted you. OMGUS would imply that as soon as you accused him (more like voted, because that is what OMGUS is more often associated with) he went and built a case against you that culminated in a vote. He addressed your points, but didn't vote you until later. That is not OMGUS. His reason was crap and utterly destroyed my town read on him, but I prefer to work on one front at a time.
What do you think about him putting someone at L-1 with no reasoning given?
He gave a reason, but the reason was crap. I think he is suspicious, but not enough to warrant my vote or attention right now.
What do you think about his failure to actually address any of the problems that I've brought up, and just vote for me?
Dunno. Wasn't paying attention to that debate. He should have addressed you points, but I don't know the exact situation (and am too lazy to go look it up right now) so I can't comment fully.
I said you didn't respond to some of my points, not that you didn't respond to some of my posts.
That's what I said:
Kairyuu wrote:Secondly, it has not been the length of your posts that has kept me from responding to all of your points
And I'm changing my style because it doesn't seem to be working. People aren't responding to what I'm saying regarding you and others, and people like Japles are getting away with brushing huge posts off with no regard. I don't know if it's the others in the game, or if it's because of my style, but if I try a different style and nothing changes, at least I know it's the people, and not my style. This is a learning game, I think it's the time to try out some things to see what is most effective.
Suit yourself. I like the long posts, and except for one time I've gone through and responded to everything.

@Infinis:
I was so engrossed with huge posts I missed this little nugget of misrepresentation. Automatic assumption? Of what that the IC's are scum buddies? I presented it as a scenario, yes, but not my definitive point of view.
If you present the scenario then you are making an accusation. If you are not making a direct accusation, then you are trying to see if anyone else takes it up and pushes it.
I found it odd how you chose someone for your trap, when you could have no way of knowing who is scum and who is not. In fact, you are guilty of exonerating both IC's: Yourself, because no one claims scum and Korts because of his use in your trap.
How have I exonerated anyone? Is it D2, and am I a claimed cop with an innocent on Korts? If not, then I have not done anything but express my opinion on a fellow player.
As to the math of both IC's or any two players randomly selected, being scum is irrefutable. However what you did is not the same.
Yes it is. I took the setup
without any player involvement
, which is what the point of my explanation was, and I analyzed it mathematically.
As a townie, not knowing anything else and looking in on the scenario you've presented, we see that there is 2/8 or 1/4 chance that a person picked at random is scum and a 1/7 chance that the scum is picked randomly from the remaining players. 1/4 * 1/7 = 3.57% better but not good odds.
You cannot look at it from an in-game perspective. That skews the numbers, because it factors in alignment of the player making the argument, which is ambiguous to everyone else, and therefore makes the numbers subjective and therefore wrong.
But can we increase the odds?
Why are you trying to raise random odds? Is there a purpose for you to want to prove it likely that two people are scum based on random chance?
Of course, this townie player assumes the good intentions of the scenario creator, therefore giving 2/7 chance that the first person picked at random is scum while the chances that the second person picked is 1/6 as scum. Therefore 2/7 * 1/6 = 4.76% better still! However shockingly slim chances.
Hypocrite. You accused me of 'exonerating' Korts by using him in my gambit, but yet you then claim that people should trust you because you are making a scenario involving random numbers? Are you serious?
Let's assume you are scum, would you risk losing a team member in order to sail all the way to the endgame? Perhaps. Would you chose two townies to guarantee a scum favorable lynch? More likely.
No to the first, and yes to the second. However, I don't like to gambit as scum, as I have stated over and over again. It is too risky, and puts my teammates in a terrible position if it fails.
I am not saying you are scum, what I am suggesting is that the trap you so carefully crafted has a fatal flaw. The assumption that even with a bad argument against them, the second accused player is not scum. You have no way of confirming that.
Well duh. I never said that my word was law. I expressed my reads, and nothing more. If Chaos or Korts is scum, then that is just one more uncontrollable variable intrinsic to gambiting. There is no surefire solution for catching scum. If there was, then this wouldn't be much of a game, now would it?
I can see your reasoning behind Sando's wagon, but he's acquitted himself quite well.
No. No he hasn't. his defenses have been weak and scummy, and if this was anything but a newbie game I would still be pushing.
Are first impressions more important than well reasoned argument?
Nope. Can you point to where I said they were?
Honestly slogging through the huge ?PBPA?, is that right, is rough going. But hopefully after a more thorough reread I will find that Sando's arguments may be strong or they may be weak.
PBPA is correct. Also, this is wishy-washy. Don't comment on a situation without reading it first. Also, why is it that you claim that Sando has acquitted himself when you haven't read his responses to my accusations?
I however am not in a rush to lynch him based on a flawed trap. If upon reread, I find the results satisfactory then the flawed setup can be ignored, ends justified the means.
More wishy-washy-ness.

OK. Let's analyze this. I made a completely unimportant post that mentioned you in passing, but focused on the pure math of the setup. It didn't even contain an accusation. However, as soon as you saw it, you got up in arms and completely overdefensive. I don't like how that post reads.

unvote
and
vote: Infinis

Hypocritical behavior and overdefensiveness is stronger than lurking.

@all: Based on recent developments, Bekkatha's lurking was a null tell, as she flaked instead of sticking around but not posting.

Also, Josh's is too now, since he has given an out of game reason for not being around, which I accept.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (isolation #19) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:06 am

Post by Kairyuu »

'Kay. I'm beginning to have a hard time figuring out Kairyuu.
I don't know if he's irritated at us naughty newbies or what.
Nope. I'm trying to point out bad logic and weak arguments as well as providing my own points. I'm attempting to keep myself polite. If I'm failing then please tell me, because it is not my intention to be rude.
This isn't addressed to me, but because I have also noticed this I really feel like pointing out two older quotes of yours, Kai. I hope I understood right that you were saying nope to wanting quicklynches in the previous quote.
Nope. That's wrong. The question was whether or not my views about quicklynches had changed (aka. do I not support that view anymore). My answer was that no, I had not changed my views (quicklynches are still good in my eyes). I merely changed my vote, and asked if that implied somehow that I changed my views, as was being claimed by Sando.

I'm not going to bother commenting on the rest of the quicklynch stuff, because you seem to have simply misunderstood the question and my response.
English isn't my first language so it's possible that I misunderstood Infinis, but it really looks to me like you did. Don't understand at all where he suggested that he should be trusted.
Good point. I misread his point. When I went back just now I saw that he was presenting "me" as the "scenario creator," not himself as I originally thought.

@Infinis: My apologies. I withdraw the point on being hypocritical. That was my mistake. The overdefensiveness still stands though.
We cannot believe you though just because you say so "over and over again". Or because Korts has one game of scum-meta from you. On this I comment mostly because of the overtone.
You have these sources:

1. Myself, right now.
2. The game Korts and I were in together (Facedown and Thirsty Mafia, a Mini Theme)
3. Newbie 750, where I state the same thing as town.
4. Wheel of Time Mafia (another Mini Theme) where I was scum, and didn't make a single gambit even though there were several gambits in place from other people.

I haven't been scum except in 2 and 4, and I don't remember mentioning my views on gambiting as scum in any other games I've been in (though you're welcome to dig through them if you'd like).
Regarding your talk on the overdefensiveness of Infinis, can you elaborate overdefensiveness over what?
I pointed out that his assumption did not work with the math, and he went up in arms trying to defend himself when there was no accusation of scumminess in my math bit.
And why is this more noteworthy than Japles's behaviour, which to me seems like defensiveness directly related to his own persona?
Japles isn't interesting to me right now. He is scummy, yes, but not as much so as Infinis, so I am focusing on the scummier target. It's just the way I do things.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (isolation #20) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Ojanen:
What I'd like to ask though, is that why do you like quicklynches?
They keep the game moving. Getting bogged down in weeks and weeks of arguments is boring, and gives the scum longer to influence people's reads. I prefer to let the scum have as little Day influence as possible, limiting them to Night game to redice their effectiveness.
You now say you think Sando is more likely town than scum. So from your perspective, if you're a townie, your judgment has changed quite a lot due to some more discussion.
Meh. I changed my mind. People do that all the time. I would regret lynching Sando if he flipped town, but I'm still not 100% on him, or on anyone for that matter. It's all a matter of comparison.
Looking back, I think I was actually a little rude there. I do appreciate your ICing.
No worries. I didn't read it that way.
re: your gambiting meta: ok, thanks. I'll glance at those, though I'm still undecided on how much credit it is wise to give to meta (also this gambit really wasn't drastic like the doc one in N750).
Obviously you should take everything with a grain of salt. And this gambit is more complicated than the doc one, even if it wan't as large-scale. Hell, the doc gambit was the largest scale gambit I've ever made.
I read his post again carefully and generally the part I where I didn't follow you was about defending himself.
General Patton was a strong holder of the belief that a good offense is the best defense. His completely unwarrented attack against me for a comment that was not even close to an accusation, followed by an extremely weak justification of that attack amounts to a pointless defense against a non-attack. That's the way I see it at least.
Other than that it was math and pointing at what he thought were flaws in your gambit.
He was attempting to disprove my math for most of his pot, not attack my gambit. My gambit had nothing to do with the math at all.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (isolation #21) » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:07 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
I'll try and get something comprehensive later, but it's my birthday today, I might not have time for a day or 2.
Happy Birthday! Take all the time you need.
Regarding the maths, Inifinis does have a point in that you need to work out the 'random 2' using 8 players instead of 9. Obviously you're not going to include yourself in that. So the chances of picking any 2 people completely randomly and them being scum are: 2/8 x 1/7 = 3.57%
I covered this already. That doesn't work because it is tainted by alignment. Assuming a townie is doing that, yes, the math works out, but assuming scum is making the prediction, they know with 100% certainty whether their choices are scum or not. You can't have subjective math and actually try to trust it.
However, i was thinking, and this was in relation to Kai's gambit, what are the chances that he randomly picked 2 people and 1 or both were scum? I haven't done maths in a while, but it would seem to be 1-(6/8 x 5/7) = 46.43% chance that of the 2 people you randomly pick, 1 or both will be scum.
That doesn't look quite right. If you assume I am a townie (again, getting into subjective math) then if I pick two people randomly, they each have an independant 25% chance of being scum
assuming pure random chance
, which does not take into account that I had a pretty decent read on Korts right away, and then that i felt that Chaos was more likely town based on his responses to attacks against him.

If you assume I am scum though, the math is totally up to me, and I could have picked two townies randomly to use, giving a 0% chance of the attacked being scum, or I could have lumped my buddy in with a townie to give myself credibility if one of the lynches went through, giving a solid 100% chance that at least one was scum.

The differences in the math based on alignment makes all of these calculations totally useless though, and makes the only actually valid set the 2.87% one, because it does not rely on alignment.
Infinis did tend to falter off after he got 3.57% and started bringing in completely arbitrary numbers, which could be him trying to 'force' the numbers to give him the result that he wants. Seems a bit dodgy, but I also think Kai's case against him is pretty forced.
Please expand upon both points mentioned here in your next comprehensive post. I have a sneaking suspicion that your predisposition to be being scum (given by the fact that you are still voting me), will lend to your thinking that anything I say will either be forced or weak.

@Infinis:
I think the flip flopping on your vote Kai should be noted. I guess you don't FoS anyone? Straight to vote?
Depends on my mood. Generally I use them on my second or third on my scumlist, but I'm trying to keep my attention focused on one at a time this game, as a sort of test to see if I can manage it.
I defended myself against a misrep. If you thought it little so be it, but I thought it was a good launching point for my discussion of the gambit. OMGUS voting me, really... as an IC?
How is it OMGUS if you haven't decided whether or not I'm scummy? You haven't voted, or even FOSed me yet, and your entire 'accusation' concludes with you not being sure if I'm town or scum. Besides the fact that that attitude is fence-sitting, and scummy, it doesn't amount to anything in the line of something that could draw an OMGUS.
I have to take you at face value. You like aggressive play and sometimes end up flailing.
:P

Trust me, I haven't flailed at all this game. Every move I've made has been calculated, and the pieces are falling into place now.
I am still pondering scum versus town.
Hence why my vote was not OMGUS.

@Lurkers: Post dammit! We're beginning to get close to deadline and I still have several non-reads in my chart!

@all: Interesting thing to note. millar is lurking, which is
extremely
odd for him from my experience. This may require looking into.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (isolation #22) » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
I take it that this is a typo and should say “your predisposition to ME being scum”.
Yup. Sorry 'bout that.
So while I think that his maths is fatally flawed, I think it is not a scummy attempt to make you look like scum.
I don't remember saying that his math was an attempt to incriminate me (though I may be wrong, since I'm not bothering to look it up at the moment).
I also think he’s misunderstood your gambit, not misrepresented it, and I think I’ve had quite a bit of experience with the different this game
I also don't remember accusing him of that. Quite the opposite. I believe it was him who accused me of misrepresenting his point, which was extremely minor, and my 'misrep' didn't even contain an accusation.
The second point against Infinis, the much more telling in my view, is his defence of me “he’s acquitted himself quite well”, followed by “But hopefully after a more thorough reread I will find that Sando's arguments may be strong or they may be weak”. These 2 almost directly contradict each other.
Yep. There's that. He sounds like he's trying to decide which position to take, but hasn't figured out which one will benefit him most (aka. a scummy motive for his actions, one of the best tells out there).
I don’t think we need to vote him right now, I think we need to push him to provide his comprehensive re-read, and analyse that.
Pushing = pressure. Pressure is accomplished through votes. I throw my vote around to provide pressure sometimes. This is not one of those times, but it still fits the bill. The best way to get someone to do something that they are unlikely to do is to build a wagon, because then they feel the pressure of an imminent lynch, and are more likely to comply (yes, strong arm tactics are fun).
As to your case against Infinis, you accused him of making an accusation against you, which you seem to have taken back now?
Sorta. I can't figure out if he's attacking me or not, since he keeps going for it and then backing off and trying to pacify me in the same post (another example of trying to play both sides of the argument to see which one will be better for him in the long run).
I think he was more trying to point out why he didn’t agree with your gambit and its results.
Hmm. It seems we are having a problem communicating. This math stuff that I'm using has nothing to do with my gambit. It was a purely theoretical exercise to show that Infinis' original assumption (that both ICs were scum) has a very lowe probability of actually being the case. His response post brought in the gambit, but that is a separate thing altogether.
You said he was being a ‘hypocrite’, when what he was doing was not hypocritical, he was just wrong in what he did.
Ojanen pointed out that I misread the point I accused him of being a hypocrite over. I dropped that point entirely.
And lastly you attack him for wishi-washiness
I don't think that wishy-washiness is the best phrase for it now that I think about it. More like playing both sides of the argument.
this seems to be your new catchphrase, you’re accusing all of us of it,
Really? Where? Another thing I don't remember doing (perhaps I'm just tired).
I really don’t buy it at all as a tell. If he claims he’ll do something and doesn’t do it, then it’s a tell, but give him time to finalise his thoughts.
Totally different situations. Playing both sides of the same point and not following through with something you say you'll do are different things. Both can imply scumminess, but they are not the same tell.
This was pretty much all that had been posted when I made my comment, more has been posted since, but you can’t hold me accountable for what gets said after I’ve said it. I don’t want to write too much more on this right now, if you want clarification ask for it, otherwise I’m waiting for Infinis to provide a more detailed re-read.
Understood and agreed.
Well, actually, not really, I think we agree on the maths, just not how to apply it. You feel that you should take the point of view when randomly picking 2 people, that you don’t assume that you’re townie. This basically means that you’ve decided to run your gambit before you get your PM on role. 2 things: 1, you still have to change the maths, as not only wouldn’t you choose yourself, but for the sake of the gambit, you couldn’t. 2, you’ve stated you wouldn’t run the gambit (or any gambit for that matter) as scum, therefore you must assume that you are a townie for the purposes of the maths. These aren’t subjective statements, they’re practical, logical, objective reasonings for why it should not include you in the maths.
As a said somewhere in this post already, my math was not based around my gambit and the likelyhood of using scum as bait, it was simply to show that assuming both ICs to be scum is foolish and doesn't go with what the actual, random math says.
As to my actual maths being right. Well my take was this, you pick 1 person out of 8 first up, you have a 75% chance that they will be townie. Now you choose another person, you have a 5 in 7 chance of them being townie (71.43%). Therefore you have 71.43% x 75% chance of them both being townie, or 53.57% chance. Therefore, you have a 46.43% chance of it being something else, ie 1 or both being scum.
I think that's a bit off, but you're close. Since you're trying to figure out the % chance of including scum, you need to look at it from the side of the scum. You have a 1/4 chance that the first will be scum, and a 1/4 chance that the second will, assuming the variables to be independant (which we must, because it is an 'or' statement). From there I think we can just add the variables, giving us a 2/4, or 50% chance that one of them is scum (with no calculation being necessary for both, because if 1 is scum, then it fulfills the criteria of 'one or more') assuming completely random chance, and assuming that the person making the gambit is town.
I’m still pretty busy, I’ll post more later tonight after I get back, prolly around 12 hours assuming i'm not too drunk, this is getting epically long anyway. But when you ask for clarification of points, clarification you get
Odd. Thought I mentioned that there was no hurry. Guess I forgot.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (isolation #23) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 am

Post by Kairyuu »

-twitch- -twitch-

Too . . many . . suspects!

I mean seriously, I'm suspicious of Infinis, Japles(did a reread and didn't like what I saw, more later), Josh (said he would be here soon almost a week ago), and millar (seriously, one post and then nothing?). It's bothering me to no end that I can't narrow it down any further.

@Infinis:
My initial reaction is that Sando and Kai are not in some kind of gambit.
Huh? Explain please. I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
As for any other conclusions, the waters are muddy and the fence is quite a good seat to try and sort things out from.
As town that is a terrible attitude. As scum that's a good way to get caught being noncommittal.
Unfortunately the jumping around of his vote seems noncommittal just as bad as the fence sitting he accuses me of.
Yup. I know. I'm not exactly at the top of my game here, and I'm really struggling to get good reads on most players.
Kai's case against Sando is good, not manipulative. Sando's defense and Kai's counterattack need a second reread.

So to my vote, three nothing posts in the past 8 days? Vote: korts
This is mildly contradictory. You state that the case against Sando is good, but you vote Korts for falling behind? I'm not saying you should vote for Sando, but if you're gonna vote someone, at least do it over a scumtell.
And finally, I have to recover from the term "subjective math". Wow just wow. You have to assume that the voter is town, since a scum knows his scum buddies and has no need to guess who is scum.
That's exactly the problem. If someone does that, then they are making an assumption about alignment that has nothing to do with play. The simple fact that the person makes an argument about math, you would assume them town, which is bad.
A townie has 6 possible town player votes out of the 8 players remaining
Therefore, 6/8 or 75% chance that the townie does not find scum on his first pick.

We eliminate this first voted player from the players selection pool, so we have 7 choices left. Therefore, 5/7 or ~=71% chance that the townie does not find scum with his second pick.
OK. I see where I went wrong, but you are neglecting the possibility that scum was hit the first time. Wouldn't you have to branch your numbers to 5/7 OR 6/7? giving you 71% OR 86% on the second shot? I don't take statistics, so I'm working off of logical deduction here, but that way makes more sense to me, and I don't know how I could combine the two possibilities.
I agree it was minor but this is day 1 and we have little to go on.
I absolutely despise this excuse. It's a total cop out for overreacting, and allows you to do a total about-face when things start heating up. You need to take responsibility for your own arguments.

@Ojanen:
Also, based on Kairyuu's timings of bringing his cases to the table, I wouldn't find the scumteam Kairyuu/Japles unlikely.
Elaborate please.
Kairyuu, what gave you a pretty decent read of Korts is his first posts?
He jumped straight into a dialogue with me, and his points were solid for the most part. That, and his posts read as if he were honestly looking out for the best interests of the town.
What is wrong with trying on and describing the subjective math perspective - "if he is town then how much sense do these actions and assumptions make?" I'd think that's a standard tool of thought to evaluate if someone's behaviour is consistent.
It forces you to make assumptions. I don't like making assumptions, because they open up all sorts of problems.

@all: I did a skim of the whole game up until now, and Japles did not come off the same way he did originally to me, so I reread him in detail, and noticed something interesting. He hasn't done crap except when threatened, and has actively lurked throughout the whole game, with only 1 or 2 actual content posts. This, combined with other people's points about his only responding to things that directly involve him, and my previous point about his crap reasoning on Sando, means that I would not be against his lynch right now.

So, my two top suspects are Infinis and Japles, and I would be perfectly agreeable to lynching either of them any time now. millar and Josh need to get in here and post ASAP, because the way it's going we're gonna get stuck going into D2 with no reads on either (hint hint: If there is a cop, getting a confirmation one way or another on one of them is a good idea if they don't get here before deadline/lynch happens).

@Mod: You forgot to change Bekkatha to millar in your votecount.

Thanks, fixed.

Preview Edit:

. . . wow. Getting started on a response to that one right now Sando.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (isolation #24) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:06 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando: It's all solid content. I like it. You should drunkpost more often.
The whole Japles/Kairyuu thing is disturbing me a hell of a lot. Japles actions throughout have been really odd, Japles agreement that he was ‘just trying to fit it’ seemed incredibly scummy, but it got pushed to the sidelines when the whole Kai vs Sando thing blew up. Japles then put me at L-1 with absolutely no reasoning, and when pushed on it provided none either.

When I questioned Kai on this, he was having none of it, absolutely refused to post anything regarding Japles.
Kairyuu wrote:
Kairyuu wrote:He gave a reason, but the reason was crap. I think he is suspicious, but not enough to warrant my vote or attention right now.

The reason Japles gave wasn’t crap, it was utter crap, there was absolutely nothing to it. Kai has been voting people left and right since then, but Japles has somehow avoided his attention, despite this obvious problem. It really does make very little sense, unless they’re scum together.
I addressed this in my last post before I saw this one. Japles has moved up dramatically on my scumlist after my reread, and I would be happy to lynch either him or Infinis today.
The other thing I wanted to bring up (but i think Infinis beat me to this one) is that I can’t work out the whole Korts and Kairyuu thing now. Kairyuu has attacked Josh Lyman and Bekkatha (now Millar13) for inactivity, yet completely ignores the pretty obvious active-lurking of Korts. Korts has been around and posting the odd small thing, with no substance, since his last substance post on the 2nd of April, where he voted me. Now I know that from reading Kai’s previous games and his reacting to Josh and Bekkatha, he has a pretty dim view of people lurking and is a strong advocate of it being a scumtell, yet he hasn’t even mentioned Korts lurking. Personally I feel we have some time to give to Korts to reply, but I’m very surprised that Kairyuu hasn’t brought up Korts yet has attacked the other 2 for lurking.
Korts is an active player, and was active in the beginning of the game. Enough so that I got a good, solid, town read on him. His 'active lurking' has been him apologizing for taking so long to catch up. As I have had a situation where RL has gotten to me badly enough that I was V/LA for 3 weeks once before, I can sympathize with him. There is no reason to disbelieve that he has merely had a rough time getting caught up like he has said. His posts have been non-game-related (since they reference why he's been away), and therefore can be taken at face value and viewed outside of the lense of alignment. I trust that Korts will be back with us and posting (or will request replacement if he cannot come back) soon.
On the subject of attacking people for lurking, I thought that Kai let Josh L off the hook incredibly easily. Josh L posted a 2 sentence explanation and Kai was happy to accept that immediately, no questions asked. I honestly can’t understand this from the point of view of either a townie or a scum, Kai, can you please explain why you didn’t push Josh any harder, maybe get him to provide some input when he can?
He said he was having some trouble in RL, and that he would be back soon after it was sorted out. This has nothing to do with alignment, and I therefore dropped my vote, because there was an out of game reason for the lurking. However, he never came back after saying he would, so my suspicion of him is beginning to increase again.
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:13 am Post subject: 137

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn rugby, not only did that Tahs lose, but now Ojanen has competely beaten me to the post.

The whole Japles/Kairyuu thing is disturbing me a hell of a lot. Japles actions throughout have been really odd, Japles agreement that he was ‘just trying to fit it’ seemed incredibly scummy, but it got pushed to the sidelines when the whole Kai vs Sando thing blew up. Japles then put me at L-1 with absolutely no reasoning, and when pushed on it provided none either.

When I questioned Kai on this, he was having none of it, absolutely refused to post anything regarding Japles.
Kairyuu wrote:

He gave a reason, but the reason was crap. I think he is suspicious, but not enough to warrant my vote or attention right now.

The reason Japles gave wasn’t crap, it was utter crap, there was absolutely nothing to it. Kai has been voting people left and right since then, but Japles has somehow avoided his attention, despite this obvious problem. It really does make very little sense, unless they’re scum together.

The other thing I wanted to bring up (but i think Infinis beat me to this one) is that I can’t work out the whole Korts and Kairyuu thing now. Kairyuu has attacked Josh Lyman and Bekkatha (now Millar13) for inactivity, yet completely ignores the pretty obvious active-lurking of Korts. Korts has been around and posting the odd small thing, with no substance, since his last substance post on the 2nd of April, where he voted me. Now I know that from reading Kai’s previous games and his reacting to Josh and Bekkatha, he has a pretty dim view of people lurking and is a strong advocate of it being a scumtell, yet he hasn’t even mentioned Korts lurking. Personally I feel we have some time to give to Korts to reply, but I’m very surprised that Kairyuu hasn’t brought up Korts yet has attacked the other 2 for lurking.

On the subject of attacking people for lurking, I thought that Kai let Josh L off the hook incredibly easily. Josh L posted a 2 sentence explanation and Kai was happy to accept that immediately, no questions asked. I honestly can’t understand this from the point of view of either a townie or a scum, Kai, can you please explain why you didn’t push Josh any harder, maybe get him to provide some input when he can?

I also need to explain my stupid posting of meta gaming and poker. It was in relation to Kai’s defence of his gambit, and his claim that he never gambits as scum. Well, I play a bit of poker, and anyone with a passing knowledge of the game knows about bluffing. There are 2 good opportunities for people to bluff in poker, when noone knows your playstyle at the start of a game, and later once you’ve developed a playstyle and can make people believe you’re following it.

Now Kai is well aware, especially given that I brought it up as a part of ‘The Slip’, that anyone in this game can go back and look at his previous games, so the option of bluffing when noone knows his playstyle is denied to him, although
he did try to claim that he doesn’t have a defined playstyle at one point, something he later contradicts with his claim that he never gambits as scum, but you know…

That just leaves him the option of convincing us that he’s following his ‘normal’ playstyle while he does something else. This is the classic bluff, you play your 4-3 offsuit cards the same way as you normally play your A-K, convincing people that you have the A-K when in fact you have the 4-3. You can’t do this very often, but if you do it sparingly, it can be devastating, and almost impossible to pick.

What I’m trying to say is that you cannot just assume that because someone is playing the same way as they usually do, that they are the same alignment. It would be perfectly normal for a good player to set up a ‘normal’ persona for themselves so that they can bluff effectively as scum. If someone can’t act as their own ‘normal’ persona as scum, then they wont last long in this game.

Kai’s claim of ‘I never gambit as scum, therefore since I gambit’ed this game I’m not scum’, cannot be taken at face value. Firstly, he could be bluffing as stated above, and secondly, it wasn’t much of a gambit, he didn’t risk his partner unless his partner is either Korts or Chaos, although he claims this is the main reason he wouldn’t gambit.
Hence why I told people to take it with a grain of salt. The fact that this is a Newbie game kinda throws me off after the last one. My gameplay ethics tell me that as scum I should never gambit in a Newbie game, because it puts unnecessary pressure on my scumbuddy, whether I include him/her in the gambit or not. However, that contradicts with my view that I shouln't hold anything back just because it is a Newbie game, and causes all sorts of problems for me. So yeah, I won't stop you from thinking that I may have gambited as scum, but after the game, once alignments are no longer an issue, I will reaffirm that I hate gambiting as scum, and would probably never take the risk.

Bolded bit: If you read all of my games you'll notice that I rarely play the same way in different games unless I'm playing them concurrently and they are at similar stages of development. That's because I have a tendency to take what I did in one game, and change my play in the next based on that. That doesn't mean that there aren't certain things that stay the same (agressiveness as either alignment, a penchant for total confidence in my reads, conservative scum play, etc.), but the tells I use, the way that I apply them, and the general strategy that I employ, are often different, and I have no set method of play yet.
All in all, I’ve changed my mind from Kai/Chaos to Kai/Japles, and the more I look at it, the more I think Japles is scum, and Kai just refusing to get drawn into a comment on Japles seems really dodgy as well. I’m open to comments on either at the moment, Ojanen certainly seems to be set of Japles more than Kai, that’s ok with me, although I would like to hear more from other people.
So does that mean that you'd like to lynch Japles, and then me tomorrow if he flips scum? I think he'll flip scum, but I'm a bit wary of the Kairyuu lynch for tomorrow. I really don't think he's scum.
I thought it was pretty much implied. You attacked him over his maths and conclusions drawn from it, then voted him, I figured this was a fairly strong indication that you found his post and maths scummy.
I didn't like the math, but I didn't accuse him of using it to make me look scummy. I voted him for the points that I've mentioned, nothing more.
True, but I don’t see why he’d say it. Why would you say anything like that if you were scum.
To buy yourself time before you have to take a side.
Fine, but you’ve accused both me and Infinis of being Wishi-Washy, do you still think I’m being wishi-washi with my posts or am I playing both sides?
At the moment, neither. Now that you aren't being accused anymore you are making quite decent arguments, and are being very direct about it.
We have a week till deadline. We need everyone talking. Considering prodding and replacements have gone out, failure to participate must be seen in a harsher light than it has up until now. We can’t have discussions between 3-4 people and expect to get a meaningful D1 lynch.
QFT. If we let it get to a day or two before deadline, then there is a very much reduced likelyhood that we can coordinate properly and actually get a lynch. People need to talk NOW!
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (isolation #25) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:43 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Ojanen: Wow. Reading through that, I have no defense. I ignored Japles because I was preoccupied with my gambit, then Sando, then Infinis, and I completely missed how convenient my timing was. I'm impressed.

Oh well. I chalk it up to coincidence, since it wasn't any conscious effort on my part, and I know I'm not scum. Vote me if you'd like though, you found a good scumtell (though a Japles or Infinis lynch is much better in my opinion).
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (isolation #26) » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
I'm doing this because outside of the link to Japles, I'm no longer all that sure on Kai. Considering this, if Japles turns town, which i doubt, but if he does, I at least will think much more townie of Kai. If he turns Scum, then I'm going to have to be really convinced not to lynch Kai. But either way, we learn something.

If we were to lynch Kai, and he turned scum, then we've linked him to Japles and can lynch Japles. But if Kai turns town, then we haven't learned anything about the scum.

I think what I'm basically blabbering about is what I think Korts said earlier, links tend to go 1 way. I think the link ties Kai to Japles, not the other way round.
Sounds about right. I'll just have to convince you to help me lynch Infinis then, now won't I?

Only way I can see not having to argue with you is if we get lucky and Infinis is a scum roleblocker, because then if we have the right setup I can submit to the lynch in full confidence of a town win.
Yep, fair enough, he seems to be in the same boat as Korts. The difference I see is that Korts has promised a re-read and comments, Josh hasn't as far as i know. It seems that you don't need to push Korts as much as Josh, Korts realises his responsibilities and will get to them when he can, Josh is a newbie along with us and might not realise it.
Sounds about right. I think Josh may have forgotten about us though, and may need a replacement soon.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (isolation #27) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:51 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Ojanen:
Kai's tone seems quite mild, but if Japles is scum and it's all a coincidence then I must say it's a hell of a coincidence.
Yup. Absolutely right there. My oversight may yet cost me my first legitimate pro-town lynch (I don't count the one where I replaced in at L-2 and wasn't able to swing the wagon off).
I saw the game breaking plan in the 750, but I don't understand this.
661 is where I first saw it used/helped with it, and it worked there. 750 was a failed attempt.
Did you mean to write Japles instead of Infinis to the second paragraph?
Yup. Typo caused by mention of Infinis in the previous paragraph probably.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (isolation #28) » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts: Japles is now at L-1. I would like to hammer, so I would like to know when you finish getting caught up.

@millar: Provide reasoning. This behavior is quite unlike you. Normally you would be all over the place by now.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (isolation #29) » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Very well then. Since there is virtually no chance that Josh will get back in time to catch up (or get replaced and have his replacement catch up), I will drop the hammer

@millar: Use the Night to do as much rereading as you can, and post a big analysis post at the beginning of D2. I'm not used to you being so quiet (or so close to grammatically correct for that matter :P)

@Japles: You have had plenty of time to respond to accusations against you, and you even claimed to be free, so there is no good reason for your lurking right now. It is highly unlikely that any good will come of allowing you last words. Therefore,
vote: Japles

@all: I will be doing a full reread during the Night phase, and if I am alive at the beginning of D2 I should have a nice solid analysis post that includes everyone (except for Josh of course).
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (isolation #30) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:47 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Hmm. Well, that is quite odd, and implies a few things methinks. Just gotta go through and figure out what they are (as a side note, I told ya so on my read of Chaos's defense).

The entirety of Chaos' interactions after the initial spat with Korts and me was attacking Sando and then Japles. Ordinarily, that would make me immediately question Sando's towniness. However, several other factors from D1 must be taken into account as well.

Note: It is highly likely that Josh is confirmed town now, since he hasn't been around at all, and a kill still went through with only one scum remaining. This is a very rare way to confirm people, so don't expect to see it often, but it still works.

Sando and Ojanen are the closest things to confirmed town we have right now other than Josh, since they were the originators of the Japles case, and they were right. However, neither died N1, which is troubling, because it points to the last scum as hunting for power roles rather than going after strong town players. Also, the fact that neither IC died (I didn't really expect to die myself, given that I was suspect #1 going into Night, but I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Korts died) implies that the remaining scum is not afraid of the ICs in the least, as most new scum lean towards IC killing N1 for safety. This tells us that it is likely that the remaining scum has some experience at Mafia. That narrows it down to 3 people, myself, Korts, and millar13.

vote: millar13
Considering that I know my own alignment, and considering that between the two of them millar is acting the most out of character compared to what I know of them, I see him as the most likely candidate for the last remaining scum.

@all: Obviously, if there is a cop with a guilty on someone they should claim ASAP in lieu of all of this hunting. Also, if there is a cop that is not included in Sando and Ojanen with an innocent on someone who is not Josh, Sando, Ojanen, or Chaos, they should claim as well with result, because that will break the game wide open for an insta-win.

If you didn't notice, D2 is where my theory brain kicks in, especially if we manage a scumlynch D1, which we did.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (isolation #31) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:58 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Simple millar, I am not at all used to you lurking. You made all of 3 posts D1, as compared to 750, where you were one of the most active.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (isolation #32) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:47 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts:
he mentions that scum must have been power role hunting, but doesn't mention at all that Chaos acted like a power role--in a very general sense, cops act aggressively and hop wagons, while doctors try to stay as much in the background as possible while still helping town.
Meh. I think the Chaos kill was probably either randomly determined, or chosen because once Chaos was out of the limelight he sorta faded off a bit, which seems a bit like doctor play. Forgot to mention that apparently. Oh well.
Also, Kairyuu, in stating that he's suspicious of millar partly because both ICs are alive, made the baseless assumption that I am town; this is a possible scumslip.
Not baseless. I mentioned several times throughout D1 that I think you are likely town, and thus am functioning on the assumption that you are. You
could
be scum, but I don't think you are.

Please hurry with the getting caught up thing. You've been mostly inactive for a good deal too much time for it not to be bothering me. to no end.

@all: I knew going into the Day phase that today would likely end in my lynch, and that whether or not I can keep that from happening will depend entirely on how many people I can get on my side. However, if I cannot get enough people to side with me to be confident in my survival through D3 and D4 I will willingly submit to my lynch. I do not want to be the mislynch that puts us in lylo. Essentially what I'm trying to say is that if you're gonna lynch me, do it today so that the controversy over me will not prove fatal to the town.

Therefore, anyone who does not think that I am pro-town enough to be kept alive until I get NKed (or all game if I don't) should vote me.

That said, I think that millar is scum, so he would obviously be my preferred lynch.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (isolation #33) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
although I'm not going to discount Josh L just yet.
Josh was absent during the Night Phase. There was only one scum left alive during said Night Phase. With Josh inactive, he could not have submitted the kill, and therefore assuming him to be scum there is no explanation for the fact that a kill went through. Therefore, discarding the absurd (I love Zeno's Method), we can safely say that Josh cannot be scum. He is confirmed town; moreso that even you or Ojanen, because the bussing issue does not come into play (though I would consider it extremely foolish to risk bussing heavily D1 in any setup).
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #177 (isolation #34) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Sando:
The biggest problem I see with the gambit is that it apparently, and is supposed to, have only townies involved in it. The 3 people are Chaos, Korts and Kai himself.
My gambit was terribly flawed and failed miserably. What of it? Take a look at the actual gambit and take a look at the best scum indicator in the book, motivation. Prove my motivation for the gambit was scummy and you prove my gambit scummy. Saying that your biggest problem with it is that it was meant to involve only townies (a variable that I have absolutely no hard knowlege of until after the game, making it purely speculative anyway) and then calling that a scumtell is utter craplogic. Find something that actually makes sense as a point please.
Kai deliberately acted scummy, yet expected a scum to go after his target, despite the fact that in Kai a scum would have an easy attack on a townie acting scummy.
Why is this a point in your case when it had no relevence in the first place. I acted stupid to draw Korts into an argument (via the vagueness and deliberate baiting on one or two points). The 'scumminess' was directed entirely at Korts, and I didn't expect anyone else to pick up on it, which they didn't, so that bit worked out just fine. It served its purpose, and until you can prove that drawing Korts into my gambit was scummy, this point is null.
It makes no sense for a scum to do anything other than go after Kai.
How many times do I have to tell you that the Korts bit was not the true function of the gambit. Scum would see neither me nor Korts as an easy enough target, due to the fact that we were both ICs, but would likely have no problem at all going after Chaos, who we were ganging up on. That was the main focus, not the Kairyuu v. Korts bit.
I still think that the trap was designed to be very ambiguous, pretty much anyone saying anything could have been accused using it. I think that Kai saw the opportunity with ‘The Slip’ and decided to throw some fuel on the fire using the trap.
Hell, I don't even remember what this "slip" that everyone was so hyped up about even was. The trap was my focus, not any sort of slipup. It obviously didn't work. Oh well. Being poorly designed does not make it scummy. Being poorly designed with obvious intent for it to be so (aka. not knowing what to expect upon its enactment and just going with whatever) is what makes a gambit scummy. It's all in the intentions, which you really need to start looking for.
Kai quickly set up my counter-argument as OMGUS, when it wasn’t
I maintain that it was, and will continue to do so post-game.
Has consistently attacked my attack itself, not the arguments.
Bullshit. I disproved every single one of your points as flawed.
He’s called it OMGUS, a misrepresentation (without any evidence of this), and an attack on his credibility:
I provided solid evidence of each and every one of those points. I back my statements up when I make them, so accusing me of not doing so isn't gonna work.
These are all quotes from Kai

- “You're complete and total obsession with discrediting me is noted, and will be commented on fully in an hour or three once I finish my post.”
- “I wouldn't. See above. Stop trying to discredit me.”
- “OK. So after reading that entire post, all I got was that it was irrelevant waffle and a shot at my credibility. If this is part of your full case then you need to rethink it.”
- “From this post all I got was more waffle and another attempt at an attack on my credibility, this time by calling my case weak and then just reiterating your own actions.”
- “More attacks on my credibility. This is getting pathetic. Pull the other one. It had bells on it.”
- “Instead of actively trying to disprove my case, you came at my credibility as an IC, which irritated me to no end.”
- “however, your implication that this has been an ongoing thing instead of simply one post made while pressed for time is still not appreciated”
Thanks for the quote list. Now do something with it. Prove that those statements are scummy, rather than true. If you're gonna provide quotes out of context then you could at least use them in some way. There is no argument here, and therefore no point made by putting this in here. It's more fluff with no purpose. I've said before and I'll say again, you need to do more than post filler.
Has made some very definitive statements with nothing to back them up:

- “Oh, and thanks for the OMGUS by the way. It definitely tells me I hit this one out of the park. confirm vote: Sando”
- “As soon as you were accused, you immediately went back to dig up anything you could find on your accuser. This is a very bad idea, because it opens you up to all sorts of OMGUS accusations” - Which he took full advantage of.
- “The things I accused you of are not up for discussion. You did them, and that is that.”
- “He gave a reason, but the reason was crap. I think he is suspicious, but not enough to warrant my vote or attention right now.”
See above. Unless you are calling these statements scummy (and unless you provide reasons why they are then you aren't doing that) then there is no reason for them to be here. And of course, that's besides the fact that you ignored the cases contained in the same posts as these quotes.

If you didn't catch scum D1 I would definitely be voting you right now, because this "case" is the most obviously fabricated thing I have ever seen. You are convinced that I must be scum because I attacked you, and you are throwing everything you can think of at me because of that bias.
The emotive appeals regarding attacks on credibility especially seem pretty scummish.
Well duh. I was pissed off because you weren't attacking me for being scummy based on my actions, you were making baseless attacks on my character and credibility as an IC. How would you feel if someone just walked into a board meeting you are part of an started calling you incompetant? I'm willing to bet you'd get pretty irritated.
Kai is very linked to Japles, read post 140 from Ojanen, it illustrates it perfectly, any further comment from me would merely be restating what she said. This is easily the strongest thing for Kai being scum, he admits it himself. Just because I’m not writing much on it doesn’t mean I think this is minor.
This is literally the
only
valid point in your entire case. There is nothing I can do to argue against this point, and I think that, without mitigating factors, it is easily enough on its own to condemn me. However, I think those mitigating factors are present in my play, and in the NK choice (as Korts mentioned), so I think there are other people scummier than me.

@Infinis: Did you intend that to look like you made a nice long post? Because you didn't. You quoted a few of my posts and made a few snarky comments, none of which make any sort of case against me. Try again. We're still waiting for the results of your reread.
The beginning of the now defunct gambit. IN hindsight both ends are garbage. In fact if I was forced to decide which is scummier I'd say the attack on Korts, for the random number problem, which I believe is a null tell.
So because you now see a distinct possibility of getting me lynched you have decided to take the side of the person most likely to help you. Nice. Totally not scummy at all.
My underline. Where did this reasoning come from? It didn't hold water so I dismissed your @all request
10+ games of experience on this site, and a good bit of theory discussion with some of the other players both inside and outside of games, that's where it came from. If you want to bring up a counterexample with similar credentials then go ahead, but otherwise there was absolutely no reason to disregard that bit, especially since you were totally on the fence about the
whole thing
until just now.

I am feeling the strong urge to go back to my case from D1, and probably will before the end of this post.
Here is the explanation for springing the "trap" early and some metagame arguments from a previous game. Funny the first person you exonerate is Japles, with the obvious escape clause at the beginning of the sentence.
"Look everyone, I know how to restate what other people have already said!"

That's essentially what you just said there.
After this wall of text throwing every logic/debating term kai could find at Sando, I frankly was wondering where the real case was against Sando other than thinking he had only OMGUS and fallacies in his defense of Kai's attacks.
I'm calling your bluff, scum. You have no case, but now that it's clear where the wind is blowing you feel safe in getting off the fence and hopping straight onto my case with nothing original to add yourself.
OK breathe, and Ill get back to business
Funny. You had maybe 8 lines of text in that entire thing and you're acting like you just wrote a book. All you did was quote my posts. That's nothing special.
This post bothers me 1. Math is Math but to exhonerate someone based on a low probability, which I disprove later, is a little wonky but hey not scummy in my book.
I never exonerated Korts, I called your mistake on assuming an IC scumteam being likely. You blew that totally out of proportion, and disproved nothing. Your math was off because it assumed yourself town, which the rest of the town does not know. However, we've been over this, and it has no relevance anymore.

Also, why on earth are you bringing up points in your case against me that
you say
are not scummy?
However the condensed argument thing against Sando is scummy. You never point out exactly what you're refering to. Linking the quote and then misrep of it by Sando. It was just a speech, a good one mind you, very convincing, but your gambit had devolved into who's a better player, I am so I'm right. When it should have attacked actual quotes from your opponent.
You are totally not understanding what those points were mentioned for. I was
dropping
my case against Sando, and putting those points there as advice to him about mistakes to avoid in the future. I wasn't going to quote posts anymore, because I already had when I was actually attacking him for the stuff. That bit was posted in my role as an IC, not a player. It was not alignment based.
I still dont understand the Josh vote here. After all that effort on Sando, you go for Josh?
Lurkers piss me off, and I had done a 180 on Sando. Why would I attack someone I don't find scummy any more?
This post is much better, I disagree with your opinions but at least your responding directly.
Except for a select few instances where I didn't have time, I have responded directly to everything anyone has said to me.
And yet a third vote is strange to me. It seems that whenever someone has something to say about you, you decide its time to dig up everything you can about them, the exact same thing you accused Sando of doing!
How is it
digging up everything I can find
when I was quoting your most recent post. You know, the one I was
directly responding to
. This is a contradiction. Either my post was directly responding or it was the product of digging. Which one was it?
I would go on and go post by post but I;d have to spoilerize the rest (which I usually dont click myself, or drop more enormous posts.
Why the hell did you need to quote the first ones? You could have just said "Kairyuu's post X was this, and I have these problems with it. Kairyuu's post Y I find scummy because of A, B, and C." Considering how little you are actually commenting on in those posts, there is literally no reason to quote the whole posts.

Yup. You've proved my points from D1. You sat on the fence just long enough to find a strong ally and an easy mark, and then you went for it.

unvote

I know I said it was most likely millar, Korts, or myself, but I find it very likely that Infinis killed Chaos simply because Chaos never mentioned him, and therefore he would be less likely to be tied to the kill in any way.

Can we lynch the scum now and win so that I don't fall behind in my other games keeping up with wallposting in this one? kthxbai :P
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (isolation #35) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:43 am

Post by Kairyuu »

I meant to attack your ‘credibility’ on 2 things, and as far as I’m aware this is all I attacked your credibility regarding:

1: The gambit, it’s premise and it’s result.
That's not attacking my credibility. That's attacking my case, and it perfectly fine with me. You're wrong, but my irritation at that is mostly at myself for screwing up the gambit so badly.
Why shouldn’t I have attacked you on it? Don’t get pissy that I’m attacking your credibility when you know that my attack, in this instance, was completely valid. Not to mention, I have to wonder what would be thought of your gambit if I hadn't pushed so hard on it. Somehow I doubt you'd be so open about it being flawed and a failure if I hadn't attacked on it so hard.
I'm not irritated at your attacking my gambit. In fact, I'm glad you did, because the ensuing debate convinced me of your towniness.
2: Quicklynch, you can get pissed over this, fine, I was trying to get some discussion going on it.
Meh. I also didn't get irritated about that. Liking quicklynches isn't the most common trait around here, so it's a perfectly valid concern.

What I got irritated at was when you started attacking my credibility
as an IC
. For example:
Why would you do it as Scum Kairyuu? For interests sake? To try it out, see how it goes? Since it worked so brilliantly the first time, why not try it out as scum? You're playing a game after all, the way to get better at it is to try new things.
Posts 50 and 68 respectively in the game i linked. So Kairyuu has changed his mind and is advocating playing differently in this game when he said clearly in the other game that ICs should play hard. Also, while it is apparently a silly move, you also send a signal to your scumbuddy to not worry about the vote by saying that when an IC scumbuddy votes a newbie it puts pressure on them. This is pretty subtle in saying that he shouldn't feel pressured, but when combined with your previous comments, it seems like a nice way to look like you're pressuring him when you're not.
His unvote was a null tell, but could have been scummy... And when he defended himself, he got the impression that he was town, that's some pretty good scumhunting Kairyuu, thanks for sticking to your convictions like the rulebook says we should.
Those all include you essentially saying that I'm being a bad IC. The fact that none of them are valid doesn't matter, you are still attacking my credibility as an IC, rather than attacking my case.
Followed by outlining why your gambit had caught me, and starting a nice little bandwagon on me.

Seems like you've done some fabricating of your own.
Posting my quotes in the correct order would be useful. I determined
when I backed off of you during D1
that my gambit failed. From that, I drew the conclusion that it was inherently flawed. Such is the way gambits work. They are successful sometimes, and as long as a gambit yields a decent return rate over a number of uses, I consider it effective. This one needs work, but I think it can be fixed up for further use.

@Korts:
GUYS

PLEASE TRY TO BE SUCCINT IN MAKING YOUR POINT

OTHERWISE I WILL STAY FOUR PAGES BEHIND FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE
(insert 12 page post here)

@millar:
I was prodded because I forgot about the game.
And then when you remembered, your activity level stayed extremely low. This is out of character for you, and is therefore sticking out like a sore thumb.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #189 (isolation #36) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Mod:
This keeps you dirty buggers guessing so you're not tempted to try to meta the game state.
So, when exactly was the last time Josh was prodded/responded to a prod. I figure that asking direct questions about the game state is much more helpful than trying to meta it. :P

I'm not even going to bother responding to Infinis, because, as he admitted himself, he has no case, and that was pure OMGUS.

@Korts:
Nevertheless it got discussion started, and I think that was the primary purpose as opposed to catching scum in a single move.
:oops:

Actually, it really was designed to catch scum. It just sucked, and I didn't realize it until later.[/b]
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (isolation #37) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

-twitch-

millar is making sense, and not throwing out randomness. It must be a sign of the apocalypse!

That said, I'm quite glad that you're trying to get a read before going off millar. It shows that you're learning.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #191 (isolation #38) » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

One more thing. I should probably mention that I'm LA for an indeterminate amount of time while I sort some things out at home. I'll still post, but the text walls will be greatly reduced.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #198 (isolation #39) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Infinis: Meh. I still say it's OMGUS. Continuing to press the same points isn't going to get us anywhere. You're scum, I'm town, and I'm the one that's gonna get lynched today in all likelyhood. I just think you've made yourself very obvious. You haven't played badly though, and I think if it weren't for the math issue I wouldn't even have caught on to you.

@millar:
I'd link you a game...but it is on-going you would be most impressed
After this one is over or one of us is dead I'll take a look.

@Sando:
How is this attacking your credibility as an IC? I was merely giving some reasons as to why you might have played the gambit again as scum. All I meant was that when people play games, they try new strategies, new tactics, for interest and so that their gameplay improves. I can’t see how anyone could take this as an attack on your credibility. Unless you think I was being sarcastic, which I wasn’t, it was a pretty resounding success in that game.
Alright. I can see that you had no ill intent here, but the way that I saw it was that, after you read that game, where I said after the game that I would not be trying the gambit again any time soon, you felt the need to speculate about why I would use it again as scum so soon. It was as if you were trying to say that I would so easily go back on my word as scum, and it bothered me. Meh.
Again, I’m trying to point out inconsistencies in your play, not attack your credibility. I can’t see how I’m attacking your credibility as a player or an IC here
Same as above, but again I see where you were coming from now that you've explained it.
You’ve found one, a comment where I make a snide remark attacking your credibility. Sorry if I offended you, it was more personal than it needed to be.
I wasn't offended, just mildly irritated at the time. Taking things personally in a game like this is just foolish. I learned that long ago.
I still don’t see why you need to make 8 different statements complaining about me attacking your credibility. It strikes me as you trying to get me to back off for reasons outside of my arguments, and it also seems like you’re trying to paint my arguments as personal attacks, when they are, for the most part, not.
I'll drop those points now that I see the reasoning behind them. I guess I was just misinterpreting you.
At this point in time, I think it’s down to Kai and Infinis. I agree with Kai’s statement that we should lynch him today or stop thinking of his link to Japles as his only scumminess. I personally would be feeling very dicey if we get close to Lylo with Kai in the game still, so if people agree it’s between these 2, I would definitely choose to lynch Kai today with a strong lean towards lynching Infinis if Kai comes up town.
^^^Goodposting^^^
I’ve made sure these are in order. Basically:
- You state that you think the NK could have been randomly determined.
- You state that JL is cleared because a NK was given while he was V/LA
- The mod is questioned and confirms that if scum is V/LA their NK will be randomised.

This seems like you’re aware of the rule, yet still clear JL when you know it could still mean he’s scum.

If this is not the case, do you still think JL is in the clear?
I believe we have a misunderstanding here. I was defining 'randomly selected' as just a quick decision on the part of the remaining scum without any real thought to strategy. I've done it before as scum, and it isn't a bad way of confusing the hell out of townies when they decide to try to figure out why player X was NKed.

Also, according to the rules in the first post, which the mod was nice enough to quote for us, if a Night Action is not submitted, it is not randomized, it is forfeited, meaning that If Josh was scum, he couldn't have submitted the NK N1 due to being away, and therefore, he can't be scum.

@Ojanen:
Is it unethical to try to outguess the mod? I wanna check, but we do play to win after all? I have thoughts about the Josh Lyman inactivity situation.
It's debatable. I'm in the group that thinks that anything that will further your win condition is fair game (which is why I like breaking setups so much). Others may disagree with me though.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #199 (isolation #40) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Oh yeah, by the way, if there is by any chance a cop with an innocent on me they should probably claim so that I don't get mislynched. I'd rather lynch scum than submit to being a mislynch.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #203 (isolation #41) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts: Hence why I suggested if they investigated me they should claim. I feel it is highly likely I am the lynch for today, and since I'd rather not be, confirming me is the best way to help up focus on scum rather than on me.

Also, caught up yet?

@Sando:
Are you saying that you still discount Josh as scum, or is this further justification of your previous statements regarding Josh being confirmed town?

I don't see how Josh is cleared, he's V/LA afaik, so a random kill is perfectly possible, am I wrong on something?
Take a look at this again:
Vel wrote:3 If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
That means that if you are not around to submit a Night action, said action doesn't happen at all. Hence, if Josh was scum, the fact that he flaked ages ago means that there would have been no Night Kill at all, since he would be the only scum left alive who could submit it. It's simple logic really.

@Mod: Has Josh been prodded yet? He's been absent literally all game.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #205 (isolation #42) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Infinis:
There is so much WIFOM in this post I don't know where to begin.
No, the logic is sound. Also, read Kai's Lesson 3 regarding WIFOM. I posted it on like page 3 or 4 I think.
Instead of making monster posts keeping Korts behind let me try and clear up my argument.
You are posting very little. All you're doing is quoting big posts that others have made to look like you're writing more than you are. Nice try.
Josh has posted 3 times! 1 random, 1 stall and 1 unvote. Kai has made a strong meta argument that Josh, clearly isn't around enough to submit the kill. I would also argue that, if he was reading the thread cursorily, who would he NK? Kai or Sando clearly. No thought needed, no plan, just kill an active poster and let confusion spread. Based on this I would eliminate Josh from my suspect list for now.
How many times do I have to prove why Josh can't physically be scum before people will actually listen to me?
millar has made short, terse posts. He also claims to have forgotten about the game and doesn't like "talking crap" which implies Kai has been.
Nope. He was talking directly to you Infinis.
IIRC, Kia claims it is out of character for him. A meta argument again, but with little to go on...millar has to be eliminated from the suspects list for the same reasons as Josh
This is craplogic. millar has been around on site. He is one of the three I see to possibly be scum, along with you and Korts, simply because no one else would make sense.
Yes chaos did go towards Japles but he was pro "Slip" most of the thread. He attacks me for lackluster scumhunting. Killing chaos seems to me a decent frame up for me, but a great ploy against Sando. A very thin theory, but a theory.
More craplogic. Sando is all but confirmed. Attacking him now would just be stupid, because it would be assuming him to be stupid enough to bus to a lynch D1. Sando has proven himself to be intelligent (if tunnelvisioned) repeatedly. This argument holds no water.
Kai...well he's so prominent it seems unlikely he's running a double gambit?! Scum pretendiing to be town using a gambit to catch scum. However, I can see no reason why scum wouldn't NK him. If Kai is town, then the town would turn towards me or Sando for the lynch.
I'm a very easy mislynch for today. There is no reason the scum
would
NK me, because they can just try to get me lynched today.
Kai's rationale for voting me is just plain wrong and he is fishing for town power roles. What justification can he have for sacrificing a power role for a vanilla townie role...that's if we have power roles which we're not guaranteed to have since with only a goon dead we can't determine which setup we have.
If we confirm one more player then we cannot lose. 4 confirmed players on D2 = insta-win. I'm treating Ojanen and Sando as confirmed for the sake of argument, and Josh is confirmed through inactivity. One of them MUST die each Night for the rest of the game or else scum cannot win. Either way, the best hope for scum right now is to go into lylo with one confirmed townie staring them down. If we could confirm ANYONE else besides those three then we cannot lose. The scum would be forced into a 3 player lylo up against 2 confirmed townies. Sorry for fishing for an instant town win Infinis. I know it poses problems for you as scum, but setup theory is where I'm strongest, and the numbers say to break the game if possible.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (isolation #43) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Also, it's interesting to note that now that there is some pressure on you, you are trying to get back up on the fence, as evidenced by the fact that your comments about me are given from both sides of the argument now. Looks like you jumped the gun with that vote then, scum.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (isolation #44) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:54 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

unvote

vote: Josh Lyman

I was wondering why Vel hadn't mentioned that Josh was being replaced. Just now though, I spotted Josh online and in the Newbie games topic, presumably reading over this game. This tells us a) that he has been reading, but not posting, the whole time, and b) that he was not, in fact, away during the Night Phase.

This leads me to the conclusion that he is the last scum hoping to lurk into being confirmed. Why scum think they can actually get away with this is beyond me.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #213 (isolation #45) » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

-scratches head-

That's odd. I definitely saw him online yesterday.

Meh, whatever.

unvote

scumlynch nao kthxbai
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #226 (isolation #46) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@semioldguy: Welcome welcome.
(1) Multiple times throughout Day one he points to his own completed games as examples of his play style. I find it to be scummy to point to one's previous games as a defense for your innocence because it makes you appear as if you are actively thinking of the way you acted in past innocent games and using that to point to why you look innocent this game. If you truly are a town player, your actions should be speaking for themselves just fine. You shouldn't have to justify them by pointing to a previous game.
This is terribly weak. It is my playstyle to refer to previous games as evidence of things. I do it very often, and if you take a look at my more recent games (how ironic, that I have to respond to this accusation with the very thing you say is scummy) you will see this trend, especially early in the game when I haven't gotten immersed in a game yet. This is a null tell at best.
(2) He is throwing his votes all over the place. Day one alone he voted for five different people: Chaos40, Sando, Josh Lyman, Infinis and finally Japles. He also threw an FoS on yet a sixth player: Bekkatha. On Day Two he is already back to throwing his vote around from millar13 to Infinis to Josh Lyman then back to Infinis. To me it looks like he is just tossing his vote around seeing where it might stick while also creating chaos.
Take a look at the votes. Every last one of them has a valid reason for it.

Chaos: He was the scapegoat in my gambit. I had to vote him in order to create a convincing appearance of "suspicion."

Sando: The case I built on Sando was rather large, and the points were totally valid.

Josh(you): Lurking. It was a pressure vote. His response of real life difficulties was enough to get me to back off. There is no reason not to believe an out of game reason for absence.

Infinis: Have you read anything he's said? He's scummy as hell, and my case is quite extensive.

Japles: I did a reread. He was scummy. I voted him. He flipped scum. Got a problem with that?

millar: I've been in 3 games with him already. I know his style pretty well by now. He was not playing as I was used to. The abnormalities caused me to vote him.

Infinis again: Same as above.

Josh(you) again: I saw Josh on when he had been away the entire game. This screamed lurk-scum to me, so I voted. The replacement notice put me back where I was.

Infinis(number 3): Duh. Obvious scum is obvious.
(3) First post of the day he suggests that scum are hunting for power roles. I think this could be a scum slip. We don't know if there are power roles in this game.
You do know that we have a 75% chance of having power role(s) in the game, right? The obvious move for intelligent scum would be to try to find them and eliminate them. Also, if I were scum I wouldn't necessarily know if there were power roles either. This is a completely weak point.
(4) He distanced himself from Japles Day One when others tried to get his opinion on it until the end of the day when it looked apparent that Japles demise was inevitable.
Oooooh. Woooow. You actually know how to read. How brilliant.

You have no case outside of the obvious Japles stupidity on my part. Vote me if you wish, but don't pretend like you have anything on me other than that.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #237 (isolation #47) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 am

Post by Kairyuu »

@semioldguy:
If it's a null tell it's still bad town play in my opinion.
Null tell means it is in no way indicative of alignment either way. Most actions taken are null tells. It's exactly the same as someone defending themselves against an attack. The act of defending is a null tell because both scum and town would defend themselves when attacked. It is indicative of playstyle, not alignment, that I reference previous games.
You shouldn't be needing to defend your play with your own past example.
So are you saying that when I do something unconventional that I do all the time as scum I shouldn't make sure to mention that? I don't play like most people, and therefore end up having to defend myself against accusations that my weird moves acre scummy somewhat often. I repeat, it is a null tell.
And if that's not good enough, logic and/or reasoning usually works better than an example from the past.
Not always. Examples from the past are factual. Logic and reasoning are subjective and alignment based. If there is something I can do to deal in facts rather than conjecture, I jump at the chance.
You yourself admit to your own past examples not being so great by mentioning that you are still developing a consistent play style.
The fact that I am not totally consistant does not mean that when I cite examples, those examples did not happen. They are still perfectly valid examples of things I have done in the past which can be linked to the alignment I was when I did them.
This is a straw man argument. The fact still stands that you are throwing your vote around. My argument was never about your reasoning or lack of reasoning. Your voting isn't automatically okay just because you can justify all of your votes.
This is not a straw man argument. If the votes are valid, then there is a perfectly good reason to be making them. Therefore, you are essentially just arguing opinion. You don't like that I made numerous votes in the game, so you say it is scummy.
Scum don't see the same odds as the town does, since they know their own setup they can eliminate the other two immediately. For them it is either 100% or 50% depending on which two scum roles they have.
OK. Fine. So lets assume I'm scum. From my perspective, there is still a 50% chance or greater that there are power roles in the game. Therefore, it is perfectly valid for town-Kairyuu to think that the scum are hunting power roles when they make a strange kill.
Insulting another player like this really isn't anyone's place to be doing in game.
I apologize. This game is bothering me to no end because I can't see any way out of being lynched (alignment is irrelevant here, as I've never been lynched as either main alignments), and either way it hurts my side. I was frusterated, and I took it out on you. It won't happen again.

@Infinis:
@Kai Dismissing your scummy behavior in regards to ignoring Japles as you insist is not going to happen, it is a big issue.
I didn't say to dismiss it. I'll be lynched over that issue yet, because it's perfectly valid. No misrep please. Kthxbai.

@Sando:
So I see the gambit is suddenly "totally valid" again.
Nope. Never said that. Gambit was crap. Case was not. I stand by the points I made against you as I backed off. They were a perfectly valid reason for me to keep my vote on.
That is poor form, and the belittling of the point looks baaaad.
Yes, it was poor form. No I did not belittle the point. I belittled all if his other points, which are weak. That point just annoys me because its valid and I can't do anything about it now.
I seriously feel like voting you right now,
Then do it. Don't waste time. Lynch me so that you can go lynch Infinis tomorrow and we can end the game already.
but I want Korts in the game before lynching anyone and there are still some questions to be asked.
I believe that Korts is already caught up, or at least most of the way so. The game isn't going anywhere, because everyone wants to vote me but keeps waiting for something. Just do it already.

@semioldguy (again):
This is a trick I used with my playgroup for a while as Scum before they caught on. What this does is it makes the Cop think that you may be innocent and when he thinks you are innocent he is less likely to check you on following nights because he wants to look for scum. You also hint at this in your first post of the day.
I'm the most obviously scummy player alive right now, and was going into N1 as well. It makes logical sense that if we have a cop I was the investigation last Night. If I'm not, it does the exact opposite of what you are claiming. Since if I live through D2 I will still be the scummiest player going into Night, it would make perfect sense for me to be the investigation.
If the Cop hasn't checked you and you are innocent you are encouraging him to do so if he exists. The scum know you are innocent and if you are going to get role checked you become a better night kill because by killing you there is a better chance that the Cop may be also investigating you and your death wastes his role check, essentially role-blocking the Cop.
It's a win-win. If the scum kills me then they won't be able to try to get me lynched D3 to get to lylo. If they don't, then I'm confirmed town. I see no downside other than a possible guilty investigation, which, while more useful than a confirmed innocent, is not as feasible.

@all: Prom tonight. V/LA until tomorrow night at least.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (isolation #48) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Korts: I will keep this nice and concise for you. Disclaimer: I'm not going through the game while I do this, so some events may be slightly out of order.

1. After a post or two by you, I bring you into my gambit.
2. Chaos gets incorporated into my gambit.
3. I spring it on Sando.
4. Sando and I debate for awhile.
5. I decide I was wrong and back off of Japles.
6. Infinis proves that he is scum.
7. millar replaces in.
8. I do a reread and find Japles scummy.
9. Sando and Ojanen notice how odd my behavior towards Japles is.
10. Japles is lynched, flips scum.
11. Chaos dies N1.
12. I speculate a bit on the NK, get jumped on for that.
13. I go back to Infinis.
14. Infinis proves himself scum once again by backing off of me when he notices that support is not there yet.
15. semioldguy replaces in.
16. With semioldguy and Sando both attacking me Infinis decides to come back to my case and votes me.

That takes us to the present. I need to get lynched now so you guys can take care of Infinis D2 and win the game for the town.

@all: I am convinced that I have played absolutely terribly this game. I've been far too emotional, and I have let that cloud my judgement. The Japles issue really got to me and killed my play for D2. I need to be lynched to remove the controversy around me.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (isolation #49) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Go ahead Infinis-scum. You can hammer now. I won't self-hammer, but I can see my time has come.

Good luck everyone. I hope you catch the last scum (*cough* Infinis *cough*).

I'll have a nice, full analysis of all of the players post-game.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #272 (isolation #50) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Bah! Go town!
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #346 (isolation #51) » Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Sadface. Ojanen was obvscum the entirety of D3 and D4. semioldguy made some really solid points against her.

Oh well.

Well played Ojanen, you deserved the win.

I'll get to doing my analysis post later in the week. AP exams are finishing up this week and studying for them>Mafia.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #362 (isolation #52) » Tue May 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

I have not forgotted about this game. I have one more AP exam on Thursday and then I'm done with school and I'll have more time.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #364 (isolation #53) » Sat May 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

@Infinis: Gov, Calc AB, English Lit, Physics B, Chemistry, and Macroeconomics. 6 in total. But they're done now, and I just had my graduation ceremony. I should have the post up tomorrow.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #367 (isolation #54) » Wed May 20, 2009 3:27 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

hjbjhbjvkvkhgv

Sorry. I forgot about this game.

I promise that I'll make my post first thing tomorrow morning. If I don't, I give you guys permission to hunt me down.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #368 (isolation #55) » Thu May 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Post by Kairyuu »

Stuff has come up. I won't be able to get to this until probably Saturday. Apologies.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #369 (isolation #56) » Sun May 24, 2009 11:24 am

Post by Kairyuu »

See sig. Problems galore for getting to this game apparently. I'm really sorry guys.
Kairyuu
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Kairyuu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #370 (isolation #57) » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 am

Post by Kairyuu »

Lemme know if you guys still want that post-game analysis post from me. I can get it up today or tomorrow if you do.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”