Newbie 791(Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Fri May 22, 2009 8:17 am

Post by Vesuvius »

confirm
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Tue May 26, 2009 5:47 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Jack of Bombs, actually my name refers to the Rainn Wilson movie "The Rocker". But I suppose that point is moot.

<b>Vote: Jack of Bombs</b>

And I think Scien is right. You have to explain your avatar.

Mod note: please bold with
[/b ] around what you want to bold(just take out the spaces first)
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (isolation #2) » Tue May 26, 2009 9:17 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Glad you could join us Spolium! I have played Mafia a bunch with friends but have just joined this site to try it out online. I think it should be pretty fun!

And I have to say, Mixologist, your icon makes me laugh every time I see it! LOL
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #37 (isolation #3) » Tue May 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Vesuvius »

@Lockheart - So, when two people say that they have fun playing mafia you assume that the second person is copying the first person? Hmmm.. If I had to guess, I would say everyone here enjoys the game.

As far as the random first round goes. It seems to me to be a necessary evil. As long as we can go through the first day quickly and get going with the game, I think it is fine. But like what has been mentioned earlier, the lurkers who take their time can slow the first round down.

However, I think it is okay if people don't comment a whole lot. In some cases, the very fact that someone is staying quiet can be very revealing about their role in the game. As long as they don't slow down the game a quiet person may be hiding something. It just depends.
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (isolation #4) » Wed May 27, 2009 5:44 am

Post by Vesuvius »

@Scien
- Your comments about not contributing are probably right. That is probably a difference between an in-person game and an on-line game. My previous comments probably revealed how new I am to the on-line mafia game.

The fact that I couldn't get my vote to be bold also proves how new I am at this as well. I had random voted for Jack of Bombs so I will try it again now. Sorry, Jack of bombs, but your nuclear-gun-arm is making me nervous.

Vote: Jack of Bombs
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (isolation #5) » Wed May 27, 2009 6:36 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Spolium wrote:
@Vesuvius
- Why so eager to prove that you're new?

Not eager, just pointing out the obvious.

@Jack of Bombs
- Is that a very wise thing to say that you are not very honest? Are you giving us a warning of things to come?
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #56 (isolation #6) » Wed May 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Post by Vesuvius »

Welcome Dramonic. How many games are you playing right now?
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (isolation #7) » Wed May 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Post by Vesuvius »

I am going to risk offending Spolium by revealing my newness again. Does this first day last until June 15th or does the entire game last until June 15th? Because if the first day lasts for another two and half weeks, what are we supposed to talk about until then? I mean, it is just a bunch of meaningless blather talking about reactions to hypothetical questions and whether an answer is too general or not. None of us know anything so why spend two weeks discussing who is mafia-goon when there is no way anyone can know?
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #60 (isolation #8) » Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Scien, you are very prolific. I spend half my day reading what you write and I don't think anyone is any closer to knowing if you are mafia or not. In this setup, there is a 2 out of 9 chance of guessing who the mafia is on the first round. If all this conversation actually helps reveal who is who, then our odds increase. However, I will bet that it doesn't help and 7 games out of 9, a townie is lynched the first round. Can anyone boast of a better than chance record? I say we randomly nominate someone for lynching and everyone run with it. Any nominations? You can nominate me if you want and I will be lynched and free from Scien's hyperbolic verbal cogitations. Of we can nominate Scien because he writes too much and I am tired of reading it all day long. Who is with me?

unvote. vote: Scien
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (isolation #9) » Thu May 28, 2009 6:18 am

Post by Vesuvius »

@Scien - I am not against gathering information. I am against posts that do not contribute. You have posted so much and none of it helps. Why don't you answer my question? You have been playing for about a year. Can you boast of a better than chance record at lynching a mafia on the first round? No you cannot because there is nothing helpful to go off of on the first round, no matter how many times you post.

There is no way to make an informed decision on the first round. There is nothing to go off of. You cannot see who has avoided a vote towards a lynched mafia member because there have been no lynches to look at. What we are doing now is called over analyzing. WAY over analyzing.

Whoever posts next please either vote for VESUVIUS or SCIEN. And let's get this game going! Down with Mafia! Down with Scien!
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #67 (isolation #10) » Thu May 28, 2009 7:45 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Scien wrote: You still haven't answered my questions. So that's pretty much a case now:
1) Limiting discussion
I am all for discussion if it helps us lynch a mafia member. You, my friend, just like to see yourself post. You love to see your avatar on the screen.
Scien wrote: 2) Wanting a random lynch
No matter how much you over-analyze there is no way to avoid a random vote on the first round. Even you agree with that. If we can't avoid a random vote the first round then let's just random vote and get it over with.
Scien wrote: 3) Wanting a short day 1
You are right. I do want a short first day. There is no way I am going to log on every day until June 15 and spend an hour reading your bloviations. So either you or I must go.
Scien wrote: 4) Evasion
Evasion? Really? I just nominated myself for a lynching. What kind of a mafia member would do that. I am a townie. And unlike the mafia who get the excitement of killing people during the night I am going to have a rather lame night while the mafia decide who to kill. So, I need to get some excitement out of this game now. You on the other hand know that you will have fun picking someone to kill tonight so you can just take your sweet time.

Okay! Two votes for Scien and one vote for Vesuvius. Let's keep them coming!
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (isolation #11) » Thu May 28, 2009 8:00 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Scien wrote: Would you mind explaining to me why you think that a random lynch would be a better option than getting information first and then making as an informed decision as we can?
I've answered that several times but I will answer it again one more time, just for you, Scien. You cannot have anything BUT a random vote the first round. You know that. Everyone knows that.

The reason why I think you are mafia is because you spend all your time focusing on everyone else and never allow us to focus on you. You are mafia. And if I don't die this round then you are going to kill me tonight.

@Mixologist - you seem very logical. Let's hear your vote.
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #74 (isolation #12) » Thu May 28, 2009 9:35 am

Post by Vesuvius »

@Spolium - you do bring up a wise point. However, in the game you point out, I think Slicey was at a disadvantage since he came into the game late. But good point nonetheless.

@Spolium - If you had to decide who was mafia between me and Scien, who would you pick and why?
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (isolation #13) » Fri May 29, 2009 5:38 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Jack of Bombs wrote: I agree with you to an extent, as I think we'd get things moving a little more successfully if there was less game-theory discussion and more effective scumhunting.
I agree.

And I am okay with a day 1 lockheart lynch. For no other reason than to get the game moving. Although obviously not my first choice. However, on day 2 there should be extensive analyzing on what just happened. Day 1 extensive analysis just seems silly.

@Scien - you still think I am mafia? I really don't think your reasoning makes much sense. In fact, I don't think anything you ever say makes much sense. It's like listening to a 3 year old trying to explain why farts stink. They don't ever make any sense! However, I encourage you to keep your vote for me. I will deal with you on the next day. That is, if you don't kill me tonight.
unvote
Vote: Lockheart
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #90 (isolation #14) » Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 am

Post by Vesuvius »

By the way, what does "ninja" mean?
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (isolation #15) » Sun May 31, 2009 6:51 am

Post by Vesuvius »

Okay, I have a feeling I am going to have to accept a slower paced game. So how does this work? How is a lynch consensus reached? Does it usually wait until a few days before the deadline and then everyone changes their vote to one person? It sounds like typically a lynch doesn't happen until we are almost at deadline.
Vesuvius
Vesuvius
Townie
Vesuvius
Townie
Townie

Post Post #119 (isolation #16) » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:34 am

Post by Vesuvius »

I'm mafia. You should lynch me.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”