Newbie 1089: GAME OVER

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Newbie 1089: GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Today you were all distressed to find out that some mafia have moved into your poor little town! What are you going to do about it? The only thing you can do of course, lynch them!

Game status

Game over

Deadline

N/A

Latest vote count

Sotty7 Post 635 wrote:
Final vote count of Day three

:right:
McGriddle: 3 (}|{opa, Supreme Overlord, SigmaEXE003)

}|{opa: 1 (McGriddle)

Not voting: 1 (Thian)

Alive: 4

Supreme Overlord
RICO ACT

SigmaEXE003
}|{opa (SE)
Thian (IC)

Dead: 5

Trumpet of Doom (SE)
was lynched on day one. He was a
Townie

Vino91
was killed on night 1. He was a
Townie

sanchocolates
Kiari
was on day two. He was a
townie
but becomes a
neutral survivor
upon death.
I Am Innocent (SE)
was killed on night two. He was a
townie

McGriddle (SE)
was lynched on day three. He was a
Townie

The Inexperience Challenged (IC) player is here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
The Semi-experienced (SE) players have a level of experience somewhere between a newbie and an IC.
Last edited by Sotty7 on Mon May 09, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:06 am

Post by Sotty7 »

General rules
  • This is a game. HAVE FUN!
  • Respect your fellow players at
    all times.
    If I feel attacks are getting too personal or out of hand I will replace/mod kill you as I see fit.
  • Do not quote any private mod/player communications. Do not pretend to quote private mod/player communications. This means
    anything
    to do with Mod sent PMs
    inculding
    timestamps. Doing any of these things will result in a modkill.
  • There is to be
    no
    communication outside this thread unless your PM states otherwise.
  • This is my color. Please don't use it.
Game play rules
  • Mod kills will end the day.
  • All votes must be in all
    bold
    to count and in the following two formats:
    Vote: Sotty
    or VOTE: Sotty. Unvotes are nice, but not required. I will not tolerate any kind of voting tricks. You have been warned.
  • A lynch will be reached when a majority of players (one-half of the living players plus one) vote for a specific player.
  • Once this point is reached, no amount of unvoting will stop the lynch.
  • Each day will have a deadline of three weeks. In extreme circumstances I will extend the deadline by a few days (no more than a week)
  • If a majority hasn't been reached by the deadline, then there will be a
    no lynch

• Each night will have a deadline of three days.
  • Once a lynch has been reached, all players, (including the lynched player) may continue to post until I can get on and lock the thread.
  • Once you're dead.. Well you're dead. No more posting, dead people can't type! They also can't talk to others still in the game and tell them any info they may or may not have. Simple “bah” posts are allowed, I will delete anything else.
The everything else rules
  • No invisible text, encrypted text, stupidly small text or hiding text inside [ color = black ] tags.
  • I will try and get a votecount up every page or every 24 hours. Feel free to request a vote count at any time.
  • Prods will go out if you haven't posted in 72 hours. If you don't pick up that prod in 48 hours I will look for a replacement.
  • If you think you won't be able to post in the thread for a couple of days then please post a notice letting everyone know just that.
  • Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Bold all requests to the mod to make them easier for me not to miss.
  • I'm human, I make mistakes. Feel free to point out mistakes with small things such as the votecount in thread. If you have issues with the game on a bigger level then please PM me.
Useful Links
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 am

Post by Sotty7 »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via this quick topic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • You can find the game thread here
  • Please confirm you have read and understood this PM by sending me a PM back stating your role. Thank you
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia via this quick topic and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • Please confirm you have read and understood this PM by sending me a PM back stating your role. Thank you

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person's guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Role PMs are going out. Please hold..

Role PMs are out, please PM me to confirm you received it. Game will open when I get 8 out of 9 confirms
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:06 am

Post by Sotty7 »

Okay we have enough confirms so the game is open.
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:35 am

Post by Thian »

Hello everyone, glad to be playing mafia with you all.

It seems we have a little more SE's in this game than most games I have played, but we do still have some newer players as well.
Welcome to mafiascum and the road to rome.

This is my first time IC'ing and am looking forward to helping out where I can to explain theories. I am also here to answer questions regarding terminology.

As much as I am here to help, remember I am also a player as well. I will do my best to be transparent with you all. I won't lead you astray when it comes to game mechanics and if I do not readily know something, I will do a little investigation and find out answers you might need when it comes to theory or terminology.

Just a few things I have witnessed in playing in the road to rome games to keep in mind.

1. We have approximately 3 weeks to this date to lynch, always keep in mind the deadline, do not rush a lynch if there is enough time to question.

2. Sometimes things in our lives stop us from being online, you may also feel that mafia is not for you, however, you have signed up for a game. Try to stick with it as best as you can. If you need to drop out, be absolutely sure you cannot continue.
Why? Trust levels are already at an all time low, it is harder to get to know a replacement, compared to someone who has stayed in the game since the beginning.

3. Find a happy middle ground in posting. Power posting ((posting every 5 minutes)) or not posting ((lurking)) can be harmful. Make your posts count, when they do.

Good luck to you all. Game post will be coming shortly.
~I told you it was a bad idea to tell her she smelt like hot dogs!~
Games Completed
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:44 am

Post by Thian »

Mcgriddle, good to play another game with you.

Random Question Stage ((RQS))

Questions:
1. Tell me about yourself, do you have any hobbies or interests?

2. What is your mafia experience on Mafiascum?

3. Why are you not mafia?

4. Are you lying about your previous answer?

5. Pick a Number please? One, Two or Three

6. Are you nervous about question 5? why or why not?

Random Vote Stage or also called RVS
Vote: Trumpet of Doom
Trumpets of doom = suspect = mafia.

Please note: If you do not have an avatar, it might be best to get one so it is easier to identify you while you post. Remember to bold your votes to make it easier for the moderator/host as well.
Games Completed
Vino91
Vino91
Townie
Vino91
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:51 am

Post by Vino91 »

Response to Thian^^^

1. Play rugby. Enjoy watching cycling and formula 1. Study engineering.

2. None.

3. Because I'm Town.

4. No.

5. One.

6. No, because I don't believe there's anything to read from such a question.

Answers to your own questions Thian?

VOTE: RICO ACT
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:12 am

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

Hi, I'm one of the multitude of SEs for this game. This is my first game here since June of last year, so I thought I'd ease back into playing.

There are a few points I'd like to get out of the way now, as things to not do: (Note: Some of these are not going to hold true in every situation. For those points, I've made an effort to point out that there are times when it's good to disobey this advice; however, I feel that either those are not going to pop up in this game or that if they do, I or one of the SEs will be on hand to tell you more. I'm trying to teach you the rules before teaching the exceptions.)
*Don't self-vote. Ever. If there is a scenario in which self-voting is a good idea, it is not going to come up here. Many, many players will insta-lynch self-voters, because self-voting tends to imply a desire to be lynched, which is virtually never beneficial to your faction.
*Don't vote No Lynch. There are times when it's a good idea, but those tend to happen towards the end of the game. If we're still alive by that point, I or one of the SEs will tell you when it’s a good idea.
*Don't lurk. Lurking deprives the town of insights into what you're thinking, and town needs all the information it can get (except who the powerroles are, if we have any. We need to keep those for the later part of the game). Posting is good.
*Don't claim your role unless: (a) you’re at one vote away from lynch (commonly abbreviated L-1) and someone has declared intent to cast the lynching vote (the "hammer"), (b) all players are claiming ("massclaim") – typically if this happens, it will be at LyLo - or (c) someone else has just claimed your powerrole. There are a few other situations when it's a good idea to claim, but the only one I can think of that might be applicable to this game has to do with how to time a cop claim, and I might get into that more if I'm still alive on D2.
*Don't lie as town. Again, town needs all the information it can get – spreading false information is actively detrimental to town's chances of winning. Sub-rules include:
**Never claim to be scum. And if for some reason you do, never,
ever,
ever
name your scumpartner(s). I cannot stress this enough. If you're scum and claim scum, you will be blacklisted from the Newbie Queue. If you're town and claim scum, you're just stupid.
**Never fakeclaim as town. Especially not in an Open or Semi-Open setup, like this one, where the possible roles are laid out in advance and there's a chance you'll be caught in a lie.
*Correct spelling, grammar, capitalization and punctuation will make it more likely that you'll be listened to, as a general rule. They by no means guarantee it, but they do improve your chances.

Now, to answer some questions:
Thian wrote:1. Tell me about yourself, do you have any hobbies or interests?
I'm a musician, occasional actor, and compsci student.
Thian wrote:2. What is your mafia experience on Mafiascum?
More than yours. See my wiki. I'm moderately amused by the fact that the last time I played a game was almost longer ago than you joined, and that hiatus is why I chose to SE this game instead of IC'ing, which I've done in the past.
Thian wrote:3. Why are you not mafia?
Because I've never been mafia in a game in which I've been an original player. Also because the mod didn't send me a mafia role PM.
Thian wrote:4. Are you lying about your previous answer?
No, and if I was, would I admit it?
Thian wrote:5. Pick a Number please? One, Two or Three
Three.
Thian wrote:6. Are you nervous about question 5? why or why not?
I'm trying to figure out how it's relevant to getting a handle on any of us or to scumhunting, but I wouldn't say I'm
nervous
- just a little confused, perhaps.

Lastly:
Vote: I Am Innocent.
Trying to make us believe you're town before the game has even started?
Clearly
scum.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
If I helped lynch you, you deserved it.

Retired from playing for the foreseeable future.
Kiari
Kiari
Townie
Kiari
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 am

Post by Kiari »

1. Yes.
2. Very little. I got lynched Day 1 in my last game (months ago) because nobody would listen to me and they thought I was scummy (I was a VT). The scum ended up winning, obviously.
3. I'm not not not.
4. It's possible, sure. But what would the point be?
5. I pick four. Think outside the box.
6. No. Because RQS is stupid and I just want to get it out of the way.

Vote: I Am Innocent
for WIFOM.
Jora
Jora
Mafia Scum
Jora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 am

Post by Jora »

Hi!

1. I'm a good guy. Trust me. I have a hobby of saving town-asses.
2. In my wiki.
3. Who tell you that?
4. I'm serious. How do you know it?
5. One.
6. Yes. I wanted to choose 3, but all we know that you are scum if you pick it. Relax, Trumpet of Doom, I'm kidding.

@ Thian. Let me worn you. I love power posting. There is nothing I can do with it.

@ Trumpet of Doom. I disagree with most of your tesises. "If you're town and claim scum, you're just stupid." Isn't it just boring to claim all-the-way town, or why it isn't equally stupid to beat yourself in chest and yell "Imma town!"? I'd rather call it trolling, but not stupid. However I don't appreciate a trolling. "Don't lie as town." & "Never fakeclaim as town." In general - yes, but sometimes it do good.
All about your points in "Don't self-vote" simply are not true. All my objections are based on real game expirience, so don't bother to correct me.

@ Kiari Youre a girl, right?

@ Somebody. Will you make me use my favourite latin citation this time? I bet you do.

VOTE: McGriddle
Be
RED
or be dead. ☭
Jora is obv VT, if not, she is a Cop. Simple.
SigmaEXE003
SigmaEXE003
Goon
SigmaEXE003
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 am

Post by SigmaEXE003 »

Random Answer Stage
1) I'm in High School. I used to play lacrosse, and I'm a trumpet player in the school's marching band.
2) I've never played on Mafiascum, but I did play a game elsewhere where I was killed night 1. That game is actually still in progress.
3) I'm not sure why the mod didn't pick me as mafia, and I probably never will be. Perhaps my avatar's just too cute for mafia. I mean, how could Ristar be mafia?
4) Well, you can never be sure what's true and what's not, especially in mafia. Besides, I could be lying about not lying, but either way, I'm not lying.
5) Two.
6) Well, I'm not sure. I show no physical symptoms of nervousness, but I'd need a psychological evaluation to truly determine the answer.

Now I have a few questions of my own. First of all, what does randomly voting based off of people's usernames accomplish? Second, what does random questioning accomplish? Only question 2 seems relevant, and questions 3 and 4 seem like an attempt to get people to act scummy. As an IC, aren't you supposed to help us rather than trick us?
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 am

Post by Thian »

Vino and All, here are my answers.
1. some interests, videogames, music, camping and white water rafting.
2. Experience on Mafiascum. It is in my wiki but I've played 5 games, replaced into 1 and am currently playing this one which will be the 6th.
3. I'm not mafia because I wasn't given that role, I'm here to weed out scum and ensure they continue to post and not lurk.
4. Not lying.
5. Two
6. Nervous? Only depends on how this information will be used.

Trumpet of Doom: ((just observation, not game oriented))
You do have experience, quite a lot of knowlege, you seem versed enough to IC and are confident, I don't see why you didn't trust in your abilities to IC a game. Glad to have you around.

}|{opa:

Power Posting, it is fine as long as you are not just posting for the sake of posting as much as you can. Remember to allow everyone a chance to involve themselves in what is going on. They may see a different point of view than you would by dominating a conversation or debate.

Of course you won't agree with all points Trumpet of Doom is stating. Be mindful though, a general guide line, especially in the road to rome is bring forward the basics. It is best not to confuse newer players.
Basics such as, do not self vote:

Self voting as town, is genuinly not good ((even if you are trolling or joking as town)). You risk yourself getting lynched if scum are quick and clever to jump on that opportunity. You also are then playing against a town win condition if you begin to sacrafice yourself. Tell me why you believe self voting to be beneficial ?

Lying about your role, is not good practice. If you can't be truthful the first time about you role, how will anyone trust you later on when it counts? It is a risk that could cost a win. Yes, there will be times for power roles to hide and claim Vanilla Town ((VT for short)). However, in general practice, you want to be open, honest and transparent with all answers.

SigmaEXE003:
As an IC, Yes, I'm here to help you on game mechanics and explain things. However, I'm also a player, don't forget. I will explain a bit more about my line of questioning after, Rico, I am innocent and Mcgriddle answer.
I promise I won't leave you out in the dark.

Kiari:
I asked, "Why" you aren't mafia, you didn't answer it properly. You just told me you weren't. I want to know why you aren't.
I also asked you to pick a number, one, two, three. would you humor me and pick out of the choices given?
Kiari, why is Random Question Stage ((RQS)) stupid ? You don't seem interested in answering questions. Why? What are you hiding?
What made you decide to vote for I Am Innocent right after Trumpet of Doom decided Kiari?
Games Completed
Kiari
Kiari
Townie
Kiari
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 am

Post by Kiari »

Very well, Thian.

-I'm not mafia because I did not receive a mafia role PM. Obviously.
-The number I choose on your list is Two. Or perhaps Three, I can't make up my mind. Wait, maybe One. Damn. They are all so tantalizing... :roll:
-RQS is stupid because people ask useless questions and then try to make other people look scummy based on their annoyance with how stupid the useless questions are, even though they quite obviously have nothing to do with anything. Also, because people try to use RQS as a useless example of how pro-town they are being, when in actuality they're not being pro-town at all.
-You're correct, I'm NOT particularly interested in answering useless questions. Why, you ask? Mainly because they're useless. But also because they're annoying, especially when the asker asks twice.
-No, I'm not hiding anything. Are you?
-I voted I Am Innocent because he's the only one I have played with before, and was the only one who believed me last game.

I am curious though: Statistically speaking, the likelihood of all "random" random votes being distributed evenly 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 across all players is practically nil. It is to be expected. Why the interest? Why are you worried about whether someone has two votes or not?
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:19 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

RQS Answers
1) I love Mafiascum, I also love sports, both watching and playing. Love my family and church too.
2) One open game which is in MyLo, 7-1 in completed games as townie, 2-1 in completed games as scum.
3) Because the Mod sent me a PM saying I am not.
4) Nope.
5) Three.
6) Nope.

Hello to Kiari! Good to play with you again. Assuming you're town, let's try to win this time (she played in my lone loss as town....dang bvoigt!!!).

Vote Rico Act
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 am

}|{opa wrote:@ Trumpet of Doom. I disagree with most of your tesises. "If you're town and claim scum, you're just stupid." Isn't it just boring to claim all-the-way town, or why it isn't equally stupid to beat yourself in chest and yell "Imma town!"?
A) As far as I can tell, this is not an objection to the claim I made. (Actually, I'm not sure I can tell
what
it is.)
B) You want everyone else to think you're town so that they don't lynch you. Granted, making a concerted effort to Look Town isn't the most effective way to go about making that happen - what you should be doing is Finding Scum - but it's a less obviously bad idea than claiming scum.

Let me see if I can organize why it is a Really Bad Idea to claim scum:
If you claim scum and are...you are...
...lying...lying, and town should therefore lynch you
...telling the truth...scum, and town should therefore lynch you
And unless you're playing a game where you have a role that does something when it gets lynched (or otherwise killed) - sometimes even then - playing to get lynched is against your win condition.
}|{opa wrote:"Don't lie as town." & "Never fakeclaim as town." In general - yes, but sometimes it do good.
I'm not arguing that they
can't
help town, only that they very rarely do. Until and unless you completely understand all the reasons you shouldn't and can explain how what you're planning to do balances out those disadvantages, it's not a good idea to lie/fakeclaim as town.
}|{opa wrote:All about your points in "Don't self-vote" simply are not true.
Please elaborate.
}|{opa wrote:All my objections are based on real game expirience, so don't bother to correct me.
Links or it didn't happen.
SigmaEXE003 wrote:First of all, what does randomly voting based off of people's usernames accomplish?
As I understand it, the idea is that it's supposed to get players interacting with each other quickly so that the game can move to more content-rich posts more quickly. (There are things you can get out of players' RVS posts, but there's not as much.)
SigmaEXE003 wrote:Second, what does random questioning accomplish?
Hell if I know - that's one reason I don't do it.
SigmaEXE003 wrote:Only question 2 seems relevant, and questions 3 and 4 seem like an attempt to get people to act scummy. As an IC, aren't you supposed to help us rather than trick us?
Getting people to say things that reveal that they're scum is a perfectly legitimate way to scumhunt. It may not always give you anything useful, but aside from that, there's nothing inherently wrong with it.
Thian wrote:Trumpet of Doom: ((just observation, not game oriented))
You do have experience, quite a lot of knowlege, you seem versed enough to IC and are confident, I don't see why you didn't trust in your abilities to IC a game. Glad to have you around.
I figured things like accepted practices can change in ten months, and although I try to follow MD when I can, it's no substitute for in-game experience. So I decided that the IC for my first game back should be someone with more recent experience than me.

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Post by McGriddle »

for impying an inanimate object could cause doom.
Wins/Losses - 99/15

McGriddle
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
McGriddle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Post by McGriddle »

Oh Thian is in here! And already voted ToD. Hmph. Whatever.

@ Errone - Would you rather be scum or town? Why or why not?
Wins/Losses - 99/15

Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:01 pm

McGriddle wrote:
for impying an inanimate object could cause doom.
You know, I saw a sign in a bandhall once that read:
DUE TO THE LACK OF TRUMPET PLAYERS
THE END OF THE WORLD HAS BEEN POSTPONED FORTY DAYS
...well,
I
think it's funny. (Completely off topic, but funny.)
McGriddle wrote:Would you rather be scum or town? Why or why not?
I'm going to say scum, because I've only been scum once in the last two years and that game demonstrated to me that I need to do a lot of work on my scum play.

Jora
Jora
Mafia Scum
Jora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Post by Jora »

Links or it didn't happen.

Very bright recent example: lying and fake claiming makes a profit (sadly most of the towns was idiots this time): Newbie 1077: townie Mr.Orange claiming Cop and cought bouth scums.

Self vote makes a profit: Newbie 1068 , my last game. Wingdamage selfvoting and gets stupid votes out of him. Actually the trick is that no one pro-town is interested in quick lynch, therefore they likely remove their votes and rethink thinghs. At least one vote will be removed and redirected, since one is occupied by selfvoter himself. Also most of the people feels uncomfortable to helf suicide. Obviously it will not work in our game after I have explained it.
Be
RED
or be dead. ☭
Jora
Jora
Mafia Scum
Jora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Post by Jora »

/\
|
First phrase supposed to be in a quote tag.
Be
RED
or be dead. ☭
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, of course everything is context-dependent to a certain extent. However, when in doubt, both of those are bad ideas. Even if you think they're good, they're still probably bad ideas, largely because most of us are neither clairvoyant nor telepathic and whatever you're trying to accomplish can go wrong very easily. There are players here who have played for several years and
still
get hosed when they try to fakeclaim as town. As for self-voting, I don't think I've ever seen a good player intentionally self-vote without a damn good reason, and I think the only time I saw that was in a game with weird mechanics that I wasn't even in.
(Side note: If, when scumhunting, you're having trouble finding someone you think is being scummy, go for the players you think are being anti-town. There's a fair amount of overlap between the two types of action, but there's also a subtle distinction - scummy things are like scumtells, anti-town things make it harder for town to find scum. You can argue about how scummy self-voting is, but virtually no one will argue it's not anti-town.)
}|{opa wrote:Self vote makes a profit: Newbie 1068 , my last game.
Having taken a look at the appropriate part of the game, I fail to see how my original position does not accurately assess the situation.
}|{opa wrote:Actually the trick is that no one pro-town is interested in quick lynch, therefore they likely remove their votes and rethink thinghs.
Had he been lynched right then, I would not have called it a quicklynch. There's been a correlation noticed between D1 length and town win rates, and I would have liked D1 to be a little longer, but I wouldn't have called it a quicklynch. AFAICT, the real reason he wasn't lynched was because newbies thinking this are known to occur, and the IC and SEs wanted to see if that was what was happening.

Also:
Trumpet of Doom wrote:
}|{opa wrote:All about your points in "Don't self-vote" simply are not true.
Please elaborate.
I'd still like an answer to this.

Jora
Jora
Mafia Scum
Jora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Post by Jora »

No direct aswer is correct. It's all wifom from certain point. If you didn't found answers in my examlpe, well then consider me being wrong. Conversation is over.
Be
RED
or be dead. ☭
Vino91
Vino91
Townie
Vino91
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Post by Vino91 »

Personally, I believe fake-claiming when you're town is idiotic. I saw this happen in a real life game, when the town were on the verge of winning, where a player fake-claimed cop to get a player voted off because he had a strong tell on that player (he did admittedly do it in the heat of the moment without really thinking.. but still), and ended up getting lynched himself as the real cop was still around. As you can imagine this confused the hell out of the town.

And self-voting goes against the spirit of the game.. end of story. You're blatantly playing against your win condition with no possible benefit to be gained. I believe such actions should get one banned.
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Post by I Am Innocent »

Vino91 wrote:Personally, I believe fake-claiming when you're town is idiotic. I saw this happen in a real life game, when the town were on the verge of winning, where a player fake-claimed cop to get a player voted off because he had a strong tell on that player (he did admittedly do it in the heat of the moment without really thinking.. but still), and ended up getting lynched himself as the real cop was still around. As you can imagine this confused the hell out of the town.
I have been in two games where a town fakeclaimed. Once we were up 7-1 in a newbie game with a dead RB and an obv doc night save. Town fakeclaimed Doc, Real Doc CC'd, mass confusion, we finally won in MyLo. :roll:

Other game was when I was scum, and one newbie town was so sure another town was scum that he said cop, and gave a fake scum investigation. Needless to say, it was a perfect mafia win for us (both survived to endgame).

So town, do not fakeclaim. And you are best off not lying either. My form of scumhunting is tied to catching people making contradictions. If you are being honest, you should be free from these contradications...
Vino91 wrote:And self-voting goes against the spirit of the game.. end of story. You're blatantly playing against your win condition with no possible benefit to be gained. I believe such actions should get one banned.
A little harsh, don't you think? I have self voted twice, for good reason/real benefit, survived to endgame actually, and won both games as town.

But it takes a special player & special situation to get away with that crap, so for the most part, play it safe and don't do it.
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”