Newbie 1094: Let us simulate. Game over. Scum win.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Newbie 1094: Let us simulate. Game over. Scum win.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Post by Nexus »

You've all agreed to take part in a life-simulation. As in, you've decided to try and escape your current mundane lives by pretending to be living elsewhere. A couple of days into the simulation, and things are going wrong. You all awoke and found the guide in charge of the simulation brutally murdered. Not only that, but you also found a note that said “We will take over the simulation. Anyone who opposes us will die.”

Accusations begin to fly, and you decide that the best way to deal with things is to take votes and string up the person whom the majority wants to get rid off. After all, it's only a simulation, isn't it?

Moderator: Nexus.
Backup: Haylen

Player List:
(Bolded means confirmed)

jmurph3 (SE)

Debonair Danny DiPietro (IC)

*prodded

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a Good IC.

Dead Players:

Quilford
- Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 1
Supreme Overlord
- Town Cop - Murdered Night 1
Trendall (SE)
bv310**
- Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 2
Cobblerfone
- Vanilla Townie - Murdered Night 2
izakthegoomba
- Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 3
Heliman
- Vanilla Townie - Endgamed Day 3
Spadille
- Vanilla Townie - Endgamed Day 3

Deadline/Lynch threshold:
Last edited by Nexus on Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 am, edited 27 times in total.
Trans rights are human rights.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Post by Nexus »

The Rules:

Rule 0. Don't be a jerk. Please adhere to the site rules, and especially don't get personal. Personal attacks may lead to ejection (possibly immediate) from the game. Be nice. Play to win. It's only a game.

General:

- Please adhere to the site rules.
- Do not discuss this game of mafia outside of this thread unless your role PM allows you to do so.
- Day phases will last exactly 3 weeks.
- Night Phases will last 72 hours.
- During night phase, no talking may be done in the thread at all.
- Do not quote PM's from the mod at all (real or fabricated). Paraphrasing is acceptable.
- If you have any questions about your role, or the game, feel free to PM the mod.

Voting/PlayerActions:

- All votes must be in bold format:
vote: Nexus
for example.
- Try to unvote before voting. Unvotes must also be in bold.
- Any and all votes will be counted, if you wish to waste a day phase voting for someone not in the game,that's fine by me.
- You may vote
No Lynch.

- Voting tricks are not acceptable. If you misspell someone's name intentionally, but I get the gist of it, the vote will count.
- A lynch will occur once a majority decision is reached. If no majority is reached by deadline, then no lynch shall occur.
- Following a lynch, it is twilight. You may continue to post until I lock the thread and declare it night.
- If you are killed, one Bah! type post is permitted. No game related information must be relayed during them, however.
- If you have a Night Action, you may not submit an action during Night 0 (aka confirmation stage). Each subsequent night, you may submit an action to me via PM.

Activity:

- You are expected to post at least once every 48 hours. If you haven't posted for 48 hours, I shall prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 48 hours (either in thread if it's Day, or via PM during the Night) then I will replace you.
- Similarly, if you require more than three prods, I will force-replace you.

Mechanics:

- Blue is my colour. Please don't use it.
- Do not edit your posts at all.
- No impossible/hard to read text, or cryptography.
- The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
- Do not use spoiler tags. You have no need to do so. Doing so will invite a warning.
- If you need to get the mod's attention, either PM me, or bold the text you wish to draw to my attention.
- I reserve the right to alter/remove/add any rules as I see fit. You will, of course, be notified if that happens, however.
Last edited by Nexus on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Post by Nexus »

Possible Role P Ms:

The F11 set up is currently used in Newbie Games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the role PMs that may have been sent out to players:

Player Name, you are a Mafia Roleblocker, your partner is Player name, who is a mafia goon, and you may talk to them during confirmation and at night in here: Link

Abilities:
Roleblock-Once per night, you may send me the name of a player that you wish to roleblock.

Your team mate must send in the kill, however, if you are the only member of your team left, then you may kill and roleblock in the same PM.

You win when you and your team mates control town, or nothing can prevent the same.

The game thread is here link

Please reply to this message with your rolename in order to confirm you are playing.
Player Name, you are a Mafia Goon, your team mate is Player name and he is a mafia goon/roleblocker and you may talk to them during confirmation and at night in here: Link

Ability:

Kill - Once per night you may PM me the name of a player who you will attempt to kill with your gun.

If you are both goons, decide who sends the kill in. If you are the only goon, you must send the kill in. You should decide between the two of you who should die.

You win when you and your team mates control town, or nothing can prevent the same.

The game thread is here Link

Please reply to this message with your rolename in order to confirm you are playing.
Player Name, you are the Town Doctor. You have the ability to protect one of your town from death each night.

Ability:

Protect - Each night while you are alive, you can PM me the name of one person who you can protect from a night-kill. The person you target will not be killed that night, provided you are not roleblocked if the mafia have a roleblocker. You may not protect yourself

You win when all threats to the town are removed.

Player Name, you are the Town Cop. You have the ability to investigate one of your town each night.

Ability:

Investigate - Each night while you are alive, you can PM me the name of one person who you wish to investigate. You will then find out whether they are guilty or innocent in a return PM, unless there is a mafia roleblocker and you are roleblocked, in which case you will get "No result" All results are 100% reliable.

Player Name, you are a Vanilla Townie, you have no abilities.

Abilities:
None

You do however have your vote, use it wisely.

Last edited by Nexus on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Post by Nexus »

Role PMs are going out now. The game will start when I receive 7/9 confirmations.

Edit: All role PMs are out. Game will start as soon as I've got 7 confirmations.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:42 am

Post by Nexus »

7/9 people have confirmed! Day 1 begins!

Day 1 will end on the 8th May 2011, at 17.00.

With 9 people alive, it takes 5 people to lynch.

Supreme Overlord and Heliman have 48 hours to confirm otherwise they will be replaced.

Simulation: Initiate.

The day is sunny. You are all stood in the park, looking at one another suspiciously. In the middle of the circle is the dead body of
Nexus, moderator.
He was brutally murdered. Some of your number are responsible. Who was it? You need to make a decision. Who will you lynch?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:52 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Right, let's get going!
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: I don't know

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:55 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

Random vote for an SE to get the ball rollin'. (To explain: They're not in the teaching role of the IC, while they've had more games than any newbie, thus one of them gets my "random" vote.)

I will change if I think someone elso is more suspicious.

Vote: jmurph3
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:07 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Cobblerfone wrote:Random vote for an SE to get the ball rollin'. (To explain: They're not in the teaching role of the IC, while they've had more games than any newbie, thus one of them gets my "random" vote.)

I will change if I think someone elso is more suspicious.

Vote: jmurph3
Makes sense. I won't vote yet, but you have a good point. But an SE could be useful as a Townie. Even more so as a doc or cop.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:56 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Oh, hang on... Just had a thought. What if Cobblerfone is scum? And is trying to damage our chances?
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:13 am

Post by Trendall »

VOTE: izakthegoomba

Get an avatar.

Hello.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:25 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Oi, to head off questions of this nature: I respond to nearly any variation of my name from the full thing to DDD, Danny to DDDP to "Hey, you" as long as I know that I'm the "Hey, you" you're referring to. As the IC, I'm here to answer questions and provide some order to the game while also playing the game. If you have some question not related directly to your role (those questions should be sent to Nexus) feel free to ask them. It is much better to ask a question than to blunder and hurt the town accidentally.

Other than that, you get out of this game what you put in. So if you want to have fun, come in with a positive attitude, don't take any debate, arguments, or accusations personally and just pretend it's Pat Benetar and give it your best shot. I think experience is the best teacher and so unless otherwise prompted I'll be playing the game the same as the rest of you.

~

VOTE: Trendall

Law of averages says he's likely to be scum this time.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Trendall wrote:VOTE: izakthegoomba

Get an avatar.

Hello.
Is that really a reason to vote for me? FYI, I was going to use my normal avatar, but it's too big. I'll get it resized though. I
have
only been here a few days.
Trendall
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Trendall
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:42 am

Post by Trendall »

I do it to everybody who doesn't have an avatar. Don't take it personally.

UNVOTE:
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:45 am

Post by jmurph3 »

VOTE: Supreme Overlord LYNCH ALL LURKERS RAWRRR
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Goon
Supreme Overlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:48 am

Post by Supreme Overlord »

VOTE: jmurph3
Lynch all policy lynchers!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:00 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

I don't know if it's changed, but from what I understand, when we're in a "random voting stage" it's considered impolite to vote for someone that already has a vote on them. Is that right, DDD?
Since I believe that's the case I'm going to:

unvote

And

vote:Quilford

Nothing personal.
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:09 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

@jmurph3 I hardly think he's a lurker yet

---

@Trendall actually, thanks. I might have forgotten if it wasn't for that.

---

@DDDP The law of averages cannot be used here. The only situation in which we could use the law of averages for mafia roles would be
before
any of the games concerned had started. Let me use an example:

Jimbob has never played mafia before. He is now going to play nine consecutive games, all of which use the F11 setup. This means that, on average, he will be scum in two of those games. This is a perfectly safe conclusion.

However, look at the following scenario:

Jimbob has now played eight of those games. In seven of them he was innocent; in the remaining one, he was scum. However, that
does not
necessarily mean that he will be scum in the final game just to make up the numbers. In fact, the chances of him being scum are still only 2/9.

See what I mean? Sorry if that sounded a bit high-and-mighty, but it's the truth.

---

Back to the point, I'd be in favour of getting D1 out the way with before things get tedious. Even a random lynch is better than no lynch, right?

Kind of random, just trying to speed things along a bit.
jmurph3
jmurph3
Goon
jmurph3
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:21 am

Post by jmurph3 »

@izakthegoomba: At the time when I voted Supreme Overlord, he had not yet confirmed. It was a joke more than anything. Additionally, I'm highly concerned by your eagerness to get D1 over with. A quick D1 is disastrous for town as it leaves us with nothing to talk about on D2. FoS:izak

@Cobblerfone: it's neither polite nor impolite to vote someone who already has a vote on them during RVS. If anything, it's not a bad idea to get a wagon going to see how the person reacts and how other people react to it. However, tossing a third or fourth vote onto someone during RVS is normally bad taste without having some kind of reason (thus making it not really a random vote).
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:24 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

@izak Well, that depends if twilight takes up the rest of the day we
would
have had. And D1 is where we all get information for the next day.

Hmm... This is quite interesting. Not interesting enough for a vote quite yet, but interesting. Since a goon would want as little info for the town to go on as possible. But it
could
be a newbie mistake. One I probably would have made if I hadn't done some reading on here.

FOS: izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:25 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Is a quick D1 is disastrous? Oops. Sorry. How, though?
Cobblerfone
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Cobblerfone
I don't know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 am

Post by Cobblerfone »

@jmurph3: Thanks.

@izak: A quick D1 gives us no information of who to vote for the next day. All the voting and all of the reactions to the voting gives us the info we need for the next day.

Am I learnin' it good, guys?
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Oh, right. I've only ever played with clues before. I guess it's quite different.

UNVOTE: jmurph3
Heliman
Heliman
Goon
Heliman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by Heliman »

Hey people, Pardon the unbridled aggression you're about to see here, it's how my last forum liked to play the game.
izakthegoomba wrote: Back to the point, I'd be in favour of getting D1 out the way with before things get tedious. Even a random lynch is better than no lynch, right?
VOTE: izakthegoomba, There are two things about this that make you look scummy.

One, only scum would want to get D1 out of the way early, unless you'd care to explain otherwise.

Two, You're statement is a direct contradiction with this post, where you took issue with Trendall for voting randomly in the same way you just voted randomly here.

Spoiler: PS
( For everyone saying

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: Username[/b]
It's much easier just to say

Code: Select all

[vote]Username[/vote]
instead. There's a button for /vote on top of the reply box.)
Show
WE HOPE YOU CAN FIND PROPER MEDICINAL TREATMENT FOR THESE SICK BURNS
AS THE ONLY PHYSICIAN ON CALL IS RESIDING IN HIS ABODE
IN OTHER WORDS, TO COMPLETE THE ANALOGY
THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE.
The Aggressive Mafia Forum I came from.
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord
Goon
Supreme Overlord
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Post by Supreme Overlord »

I don't really like these posts from izakthegoomba:
izak wrote:But an SE could be useful as a Townie. Even more so as a doc or cop.
izak wrote:Oh, hang on... Just had a thought. What if Cobblerfone is scum? And is trying to damage our chances?
This is just speculation. There's no point asking 'what if?', since that's what we're all doing anyway, to try to identify scum. Rather than asking "What if Cobblerfone is scum? And is trying to damage our chances?", you should be looking at his posts to decide if he
is
actually trying to damage our chances. It looks a bit like you're putting out possibilities here, and expecting them to be taken as fact.
izak wrote:Back to the point, I'd be in favour of getting D1 out the way with before things get tedious. Even a random lynch is better than no lynch, right?

At this point, were you thinking it would have been a good idea for two other people to vote jmurph and end the day? Also, I would actually argue that a random lynch is worse than a no lynch, but we're not trying for a random lynch, we're trying for an
informed
lynch (which may or may not hit scum), and that is definitely better than a no lynch.
Cobblerfone wrote:Hmm... This is quite interesting. Not interesting enough for a vote quite yet, but interesting. Since a goon would want as little info for the town to go on as possible. But it could be a newbie mistake. One I probably would have made if I hadn't done some reading on here.
I'm thinking a newbie mistake is likely. But a newbie-scum or newbie-town? I think it's worthy of a vote and some pressure.
UNVOTE: jmurph3
VOTE: izakthegoomba

PREVIEW: Heliman, how convinced are you?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
Heliman
Heliman
Goon
Heliman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by Heliman »

Supreme Overlord wrote: PREVIEW: Heliman, how convinced are you?
I'm not. It's day one and not even a page into the game. This is just scum hunting. I'm putting Izak on the spot with a vote and some questions about his actions to see if he can tell me any other good reasons why he made mistakes like these besides being scum.
Show
WE HOPE YOU CAN FIND PROPER MEDICINAL TREATMENT FOR THESE SICK BURNS
AS THE ONLY PHYSICIAN ON CALL IS RESIDING IN HIS ABODE
IN OTHER WORDS, TO COMPLETE THE ANALOGY
THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE.
The Aggressive Mafia Forum I came from.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”