Newbie 1103: Just Another Chaotic Town (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Newbie 1103: Just Another Chaotic Town (Game Over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 am

Post by Equinox »

For as long as anyone could remember, the town was ruled by a council of ten elders. These elders were esteemed members of the community, elected to their positions by democratic vote; in return, they passed policies that maintained the town's peace and prosperity. This system worked well for many years, but things began to change with the most recent election. Oddities with the ballots did not go unnoticed, but what was even more apparent was the new council's stances on various measures put before them. Policies they enacted appeared to channel much of the town's profits to an outside source, and the public felt restrictions chafe their freedoms. For these people, one voice spoke out against the changes. As with most mafia-infiltrated towns, however, voices of opposition are quickly suppressed, and this was no exception.

Nine council members gathered in their collective chamber early in the morning, where they found the bloodied and bullet-sprayed body of their most senior elder. They walked into the poor man's office to find it trashed. Books and papers were strewn everywhere, but it did not take much time to conclude that all but the most trivial items had been taken away. When they finished their short investigation, the council convened in the chamber, and they decided on their agenda for the day: Find and eliminate the traitors in their midst, or they would risk the lives of all of the constituents their government represented.

Players

Elsa von Spielburg (SE)
FireStorm
Meransiel (SE)
Miss JJ
Quilford (SE)
Scumhunter
Staeg
Thor665 (IC)
TripMyWire (SE)

Spoiler: Game Reveals
What You Have Left
(4/9)

FireStorm,
townie
, survived
Scumhunter,
townie
, survived
Elsa von Spielburg (SE),
townie
, survived
TripMyWire (SE),
townie
, survived

A Soundless Echo
(5/9)

Staeg,
townie
, lynched Day 1
Miss JJ,
townie
, killed Night 1
Meransiel (SE),
mafia goon
, lynched Day 2
Thor665 (IC),
town jailkeeper
, killed Night 2
Quilford (SE),
mafia role cop
, lynched Day 3

Game Links

Rules
Setup
Day 1 Begins
Day 2 Begins
Day 3 Begins
Endgame
Last edited by Equinox on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2011 7:22 am

Post by Equinox »

Rules

(References: Hoopla, Nobody Special, Vel-Rahn Koon, zoraster)

General

1. Be familiar with the sitewide rules and guidelines.
  2. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Use of homophobic, racist, sexist, or any other derogatory slurs falls under this rule. Keep it civil.
  3. Unless otherwise specified in your role PM or by me, you may not communicate outside of this thread while the game is running. If someone contacts you outside of the game, please let me know immediately!
  4. Do not quote any private communication to which you have access. This includes game-related PMs and QuickTopics. Paraphrasing is okay.
  5. If it is not visible to the naked eye, do not post it. This includes, but is not limited to: invisible text, tiny text, encrypted text, and text hidden within tags. Spoiler text, however, is allowed, as long as it is used within reason. For cases of breadcrumbing where you aren't sure, please PM me beforehand.
  6. If you have the ability to edit your posts, don't use it in my game.
  7. Regular
    dark red
    - and boldface
    goldenrod
    -colored text are reserved for the moderator. All other formatting is fair game with the provision that you do not impersonate me. I won't be amused.

Activity

1. You should aim for at least one post per 48 hours to keep the game moving.
  2. Prods will be issued to players if they have not posted within a 72-hour period. I will also prod on request as long as at least 48 hours have passed since the player's last post.
  3. A player who has been prodded has 48 hours to respond to the prod. If I do not receive a response, I will seek a replacement. If the player responds and is still interested in playing, and I have not yet found a replacement, the player may continue to play.
  4. Players who have been prodded 3 times are subject to replacement without further notice. Player-requested prods do not count toward this total.
  5. If you anticipate being away for at least 48 hours, please PM me or post a V/LA notice in the thread with the expected date of your return.

Day

1. Days have a fixed duration of 3 weeks. Deadline extensions will be granted only in extreme circumstances.
  2. Lynches occur through simple majority (50% of living players + 1, rounded down). If no majority is reached at deadline or there is a majority of votes for No Lynch, the day will end without a lynch.
  3. Votes must be on a separate line, flushed left, and bolded (e.g.,
    Vote: Equinox
    ). The same applies to vote revocations (e.g.,
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are preferred but not necessary when switching votes (e.g.,
    Unvote, Vote: Equinox
    ). Use of the vote tags (e.g., VOTE: Equinox) is optional.
  4. Once majority is reached, no further votes or unvotes will count.
  5. All players, including the lynched player, are allowed to discuss in twilight phase until I post the death scene.
  6. Dead players may make one "Bah!" post that contains no game-related content.

Night

1. Nights will last 72 hours.
  2. If I do not receive your action by deadline, your action is forfeited. You may submit ahead of time; you can also make as many changes as necessary, and at deadline I will take the last action you submitted.
  3. For
    all
    replacements that take place during this phase, I will extend deadline by 24 hours.

Moderator Actions

1. Flavor is for entertainment purposes only and has no significance in the game.
  2. Vote counts will be posted once per page or once per 24 hours, depending on activity level.
  3. If there is an error in the vote count or something similar, please bold your concern in the thread (e.g.,
    MOD: I actually voted for Faraday in post 923!
    ). Please PM me for all other issues.
  4. Violations of these rules will result in consequences. Pretending to violate these rules will also result in consequences. What those consequences are depend on the severity of the action and on the game state.
  5. In the event of a modkill, the player's role will be changed to
    Neutral Survivor
    , and the game may change phase depending on the modkill.
  6. Any situation not covered above will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

I reserve the right to add, modify, or remove rules as necessary. I will notify you of all changes in the thread.

Please PM me if you need clarification on anything in the rules.

Remember: Have fun, and play to win the game!
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 10, 2011 7:36 am

Post by Equinox »

Setup

The 2of4 setup is a test game format we're trying out in newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these newbie games are semi-open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

mafia role cop
    mafia goon
    townies
  • 2 of the following with no duplicates possible:
      town cop
      town doctor
      town jailkeeper
      townie

Keep the following in mind:

1. The role cop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what night action when the night action PM is submitted!

Below are all of the possible role PMs:

XXX
(a mafia role cop) and
YYY
(a mafia goon) are part of the local mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow mafia (via this QuickTopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the night deadline.
  • The mafia role cop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (townie, town cop, town doctor, or town jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the night deadline.
  • If the mafia role cop is blocked by a town jailkeeper, then the role cop will receive a PM stating "no result."
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow mafia up until the game thread is opened; this is called Night 0. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QuickTopic.
  • You win when the number of mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please confirm by PM.
You must include your role name in your reply!
The game thread is here; I recommend bookmarking this topic for your convenience.

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please confirm by PM.
The game thread is here; I recommend bookmarking this topic for your convenience.

You are a member of the local law enforcement and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the night deadline.
  • The moderator will inform you as to that person's guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a town jailkeeper, you will receive a PM stating "no result."
  • In a newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please confirm by PM.

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no sanity issues).

Please confirm by PM.

You are a prison guard, and it's your job to ensure the undesirables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a night action (investigate, protect, or kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a kill, that action will not resolve. Any other actions (investigate or protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.

Please confirm by PM.
Last edited by Equinox on Sat May 14, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Post by Equinox »

All players have confirmed! Day 1 begins now.

Vote Count 1.00
Not Voting (9) - Elsa von Spielburg, FireStorm, Meransiel, Miss JJ, Quilford, Scumhunter, Staeg, Thor665, TripMyWire

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch.

The deadline is Wednesday, June 1, 2011, at 11:59 PM EDT (UTC-4).

Mod Notes

Thor665 is V/LA May 12-15
FireStorm
FireStorm
Townie
FireStorm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Post by FireStorm »

Sooooooo, this is a bit quiet, anybody want to claim mafia? Please?
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Post by Miss JJ »

Hi everyone. I'm new - first game on this site and I may not know exactly what I'm doing but I've been trying to read other games. Anyway...

Vote: Elsa von Spielburg

Because, that's just a mouthful. :P
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Post by Meransiel »

Vote: Staeg

Never trust a short name.

Also, to whomever is new, I wish you good luck and welcome you to the site!
Voltaire fan. (yes, both of them). If you are a fan as well, pm me, and we'll converse for hours about why they're awesome.
Elsa von Spielburg
Elsa von Spielburg
Goon
Elsa von Spielburg
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Post by Elsa von Spielburg »

Vote: Scumhunter

Clever name... For scum! *dramatic music*
FireStorm
FireStorm
Townie
FireStorm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Post by FireStorm »

Vote: Miss JJ
People who start the voting are obviously mafia :P
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Post by Quilford »

vote: Meransiel

for thinking up a good setup
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 am

Post by Staeg »

Vote: Quilford

For being the poster above me
sa vrede?
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 12:58 am

Post by Meransiel »

Starting to love my choice.
Voltaire fan. (yes, both of them). If you are a fan as well, pm me, and we'll converse for hours about why they're awesome.
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 1:54 am

Post by Staeg »

How so? Are you a short-name-vote-above-poster hater?
sa vrede?
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 3:23 am

Post by Miss JJ »

FireStorm wrote:
Vote: Miss JJ
People who start the voting are obviously mafia :P

Or, they have nothing to hide. ;)
TripMyWire
TripMyWire
Goon
TripMyWire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 3:50 am

Post by TripMyWire »

Hey everyone!
Vote: Firestorm

...for being the last to confirm and first to post!
But mostly because he doesn't have one yet.
You can call me Trip.

Did I say "corpse hatch?" I meant to say "innocence tube!"
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 am

Post by Meransiel »

Staeg wrote:How so? Are you a short-name-vote-above-poster hater?

Nope, basically, here's my line of thought:

RVS sets the targets for RQS and even wagons. Scum clearly don't want attention to them this early in-game, so they have to be careful about a couple things that usually raise eyebrows in RVS.

A couple of things...they don't want their vote to be on somebody already being voted, no sheeping in RVS. Second, they don't want to vote someone that has not posted yet, cause said person may
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 am

Post by Meransiel »

continue being a slowass, something which may be subject to interpretation later.

Solution? Vote x for being the poster above me, this done early. Not a definite scumtell in itself, yes, but an interesting unessential thing to keep in mind.

By the way, sorry for cutting my post in halves like that, using a PSP, has a char cap.
Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 5:10 am

Post by Staeg »

I see your line of thinking, but this applies to you too, no?
Firestorm, why didn't your 1st post include a vote?
sa vrede?
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 am

Post by Meransiel »

Yes, yes it does. Beauty of Mafia is that you can call out someone for anything, just notifying what stands out for you at different points in the game helps you get a clean game, where everybody knows WHY they're voting, and everybody knows WHAT to defend against.

FS is...awkward. Feeling inclined to ask Thor about how the meta generally deals with such occurences, actually. I guess we'll be ISO'ing her a lot later...
TripMyWire
TripMyWire
Goon
TripMyWire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 am

Post by TripMyWire »

Do you HAVE to vote in your first post? I know it's a common thing to do but I didn't realize it would cast suspicion upon someone if they didn't. I haven't played since 2004 so maybe things have changed... or my memory is bad... or both.
You can call me Trip.

Staeg
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Staeg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 am

Post by Staeg »

You don't HAVE to, but not voting 1st post and then voting on 2nd post is weird.
sa vrede?
Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 6:17 am

Post by Meransiel »

I concur, and also add:

Not voting 1st post and voting 2nd is weird. Not voting 1st post and then voting the very first person to put a vote (RVS reason be damned) is straight up exotic.
Miss JJ
Miss JJ
Goon
Miss JJ
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 6:27 am

Post by Miss JJ »

@ Meransiel - LOL @ exotic. Not sure if that is good or bad. From my take, I saw Firestorm eyeing the thread last night before posting and I assumed his (her?) not voting was just because he wasn't sure what to do. I chalked it up to newbism, from which I also suffer. I don't know if that's exotic but since all of the reasons so far have been pretty random or silly (I understand it's to get conversation going which is a good thing), I didn't think it was a big deal.

I did initially think asking Mafia to out themselves was a strange thing to post but I figured Firestorm was attempting humor and wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt.
TripMyWire
TripMyWire
Goon
TripMyWire
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 6:38 am

Post by TripMyWire »

Oh. Well, it's his first game here. And I like exotic.
You can call me Trip.

Meransiel
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Meransiel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu May 12, 2011 6:44 am

Post by Meransiel »

Yeah, aswell. As long as they are actually meaningful later on, nothing wrong with exotic.

@Miss JJ - LOL @ your stalking

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”