Policy Discussion: Banning Players

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Post by Adele »

Mr. Flay wrote:That's called an Invitational, which is a rare occurrence overall (and requires permission from mith, generally).
There's also heads-up games. Is it that rare for people to pm their preferred players to give them a heads-up that a certain game is sstarting soon and they'd be very welcome, so they stand a better chance of signing up quickly? Or is that a naughty thing to do? :oops:
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #37 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 am

Post by Adele »

Mr. Flay wrote:Uhm, because that would make in an Invitational, which you have to get permission for?? :?
I don't want this to turn cliquey. The fact that ShadowLurker has become a Player Of Note in just a few months is one of the great things about this site (considering that there have been games that lasted longer than he's yet been onsite :shock: ). So I certainly agree that invitationals shouldn't be the norm (though if they were I suppose the A-list and B-list players would have to turn down so many that newbies still did get a look-in). But what's the harm in thinking "I've worked really hard for a good set-up that I know Zindaras, MeMe, Stoofer, Fritz, AniX, Pooky, Rainbow Brite and CES would really appreciate - and all the more if they could play it with one another", what's the harm?

I guess what I'm saying is, why are invitationals by permission only?
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #46 (isolation #2) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:55 am

Post by Adele »

Zindaras wrote:
Mr. Flay wrote:Uhm, because that would make in an Invitational, which you have to get permission for?? :?
I thought that was just the official invitationals.
Exactly, me too.
BrianMcQueso wrote:Some of my fellow scummers have mentioned that it is acceptable as long as it doesn't come as the result of personal grudges. However, if a moderator decides to ban a player, that in itself is a subjective decision.
Yep.
I might make the subjective decision, having spent a couple dozen hours working on a subtle, interesting setup and waited 3 months to get to run a game, that I don't want player X who always acts like a chump essentially shoves a load of white noise into peoples' scumdars and who's hurt more than one game I've played with him. Others may have lower standards, find it amusing, or try to metagame him in-game.

Others may, for whatever reason, want to be able to guarantee that their game's pg-13. If you run a search on game-thread instances of the word "fuck", you'll get a pretty good idea of some people you wouldn't want in such a game; is it unfair to say "the forum states pg-13yness and you fail to keep to it, so I can't be sure you'll keep to my rules, so you can't join"?

Or if you're running a game you know oftentimes lurkers would kill stone dead, and replacements would really really hurt...

etc etc etc.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Post by Adele »

To the best of my knowledge, mith wants games kept pg-13 but leaves the policing of it to mods, while he's tolerant of bad language in the discussion forums. I could be wrong, though.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #52 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Post by Adele »

There's a difference between ad hominem and personal attacks. If I said to AniX, "you're illogical, scummy, stupid and ugly" he'd be like "whatever"

If I then added "and Scully said in an interview recently that she totally agrees", he might hurt himself.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #54 (isolation #5) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Post by Adele »

What I'm saying is, there's ad hominum: "You're a moron, so this argument's stupid"
and there's personal: "You're a moron, you don't belong here, fuck off and die you stupid little Noob just fuck off I'm not kidding no-one here likes you you're a total waste of space"

Yes, they are related, but one potentially has its place; the other does not.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #58 (isolation #6) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Post by Adele »

/realises this is a mith thread

Sorry for the hijack :oops:
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #64 (isolation #7) » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:11 am

Post by Adele »

Literary was a farce, but if he'd excluded you from the start it woudn't've been so bad. Of course mods shouldn't ban people for irrelevant reasons
partway through
a game.
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #77 (isolation #8) » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Post by Adele »

Raging Rabbit wrote: Apparantly Hebrew sarcasm doesn't translate too well, or we're just harder to insult or somethin'.
I'm not sure about that - you've considered at least a couple of peoples' behaviour to you inappropriate (one of which being me)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”