Policy Discussion: Banning Players

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (isolation #0) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:41 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Adele wrote:Others may, for whatever reason, want to be able to guarantee that their game's pg-13. If you run a search on game-thread instances of the word "fuck", you'll get a pretty good idea of some people you wouldn't want in such a game; is it unfair to say "the forum states pg-13yness and you fail to keep to it, so I can't be sure you'll keep to my rules, so you can't join"?
Incidentally, is there a site policy on PG-13ness? I personally object censorship in all it's forms and find the occasional "fuck" very useful, but wouldn't blatantly disobey any site rules or anything.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (isolation #1) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:01 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Adele wrote:To the best of my knowledge, mith wants games kept pg-13 but leaves the policing of it to mods, while he's tolerant of bad language in the discussion forums. I could be wrong, though.
That's better be fuckin' so!
Kelly Chen wrote:I don't object to occasional bad language since it can be useful to adjust the tone of a post.

Profanity (or personal attacks, or spam) that is useless to the game and annoying other players will likely cause the mod to intervene.
Didn't ask about stuff like that.

I don't think the mod should intervene in those cases, though. Ad hominem attacks should have the added value of getting the attacker lynched for scummy crap logic.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #53 (isolation #2) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Adele wrote:There's a difference between ad hominem and personal attacks. If I said to AniX, "you're illogical, scummy, stupid and ugly" he'd be like "whatever"
That may very well be so, but you'd still be absolutely ad homini-cious.
Adele wrote:If I then added "and Scully said in an interview recently that she totally agrees", he might hurt himself.
Are you suggesting a special mod policy on Scully attacks, then?
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:33 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Adele wrote:What I'm saying is, there's ad hominum: "You're a moron, so this argument's stupid"
and there's personal: "You're a moron, you don't belong here, fuck off and die you stupid little Noob just fuck off I'm not kidding no-one here likes you you're a total waste of space"

Yes, they are related, but one potentially has its place; the other does not.
Num. 2 is basically num. 1 + something else that perhaps shouldn't be tolerated. I really don't consider myself a good judge of this, I just want to be able to say fuck as much as I want without anyone bursting to tears.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Cheesefuck wrote:*Bursts into tears*
Fuck fuckidy fuck fuck fuck.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (isolation #5) » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

mith wrote:mith's policy on swearing that most certainly wasn't just made up and has existed since it was carved onto stone with the power of mith's mind:

1. Censorship is wrong, and ineffective. But more importantly, it's a waste of my time - time that is better spent recruiting minions and hunting tigers.
2. Swearing in moderation is perfectly acceptable anyway, even in games.
3. Swearing for for reasons such as "I know ____ doesn't like it, so I'm going to do it just to annoy him/her" or "Oh, I will now post 'fuck' 17 times because it shows how cool and mature I am" won't get you banned or anything - it will just make you look like an idiot, and no one will respect what you have to say.
4. If you have a problem with particular words, asking politely for people to not use them when playing with you is more likely to be effective than completely freaking out. Note, however, that they might use them anyway, and I'm not going to do a damn thing about it.
I heartily agree with basically everything you said there, and you're funny, and the tiger thing's cool even though I don't fully get it, and I'm fucking sorry for posting fuck 6 times in a post though I still consider it somewhat fucking amusing, and sorry for the hijack, and I'll let you experienced people return to your banning arguments and keep swearing in peace.

(Oh look, just broke my own record for most commas in a sentence. Yay me!)
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:02 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Zindaras wrote:Regarding the use of "bad words": I don't think they really should be used. On several occasions have I found myself typing them in a Mafia, but always I deleted them before posting, for the simple reason that it is a
game
. You should always attempt to avoid insulting or aggravating another player.

If I get really angry, I'll throw in a couple of insults, but I only do that in exceptional situations.
I personally don't think it's a matter of getting angry, I intenionally curse people I love on a regular basis just for the heck of it. Gets your "point" across better.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (isolation #7) » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Cheesefan wrote:Like pirates calling their partners their wench.
Only I'm nicer than the average pirate. Honestly.
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (isolation #8) » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Post by Raging Rabbit »

Zindaras wrote:You can't use tone very well over the internet. A lot of it is based on body language, and you can't use body language here. I've seen people get really really angry over things that were jokes because they thought it was serious.
While I've had my perfectly friendly sarcastic comments misinterperted like a million times in my very short time here, I'm currently hoping this is just people getting used to me. Apparantly Hebrew sarcasm doesn't translate too well, or we're just harder to insult or somethin'. Anyway, while my first rule is to never ever
aim
to hurt anyone and always apologize if I do, I'm basically a believer in saying and doing whatever the fuck I want. I really think if I'd just surrender my soul to all the stuck ups and stop using sarcasm/curse words altogether, that'd downight murder like 50% of my game enjoyment. I'm working hard on adjusting my tone, though.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”