Policy Discussion: "Normal"

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (isolation #0) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:11 am

Post by gorckat »

@Mr Flay- I'm playing my first non-Newbie Normal and if there is anything not on your first list of normal roles, then I'm gonna feel a little...well- pissed.

I, personally, like the idea of straight-up normals with nothing but Mr Flay's "Absolutely Normal" roles. It seems to me you win those games by having fun and playing better, not being the first to guess the setup or what roles are around.

In terms of flavor messing with a Newbie, 309 had all role PMs posted. The cop and doc had names assigned to them. The scum and townie PMs had a list of possible names. The cop outed himself
page one
by saying it would be hard for scum to fake claim since names were assigned. (Scum still lost, but we were both newbs :P)

I'm in a Newbie mini on another site. Its theme is High School Talent Show. Newbie friendly it is not (imho), since each player has a unique role and PM, plus there was a little debate over whether a certain roles could be in a Newbie there (roles you will not find in a Newbie here, although I am comparing 7 vs 12 man setups).

I think there should be a list of "Normal" roles. I think a Normal should not assign names to roles- you are the role, the role is you. Generic townie PM should always be posted. Standard role PMs for Normals makes sense, as well.

On the flavor side, only the setup and mod's posts should have any flavor in a Normal- it shouldn't enter into the role PM, affect play or affect the ability to claim. It should be only a touch of flair that makes getting to what role the person lynched or found dead had more entertaining.

[/opinion]
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (isolation #1) » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Post by gorckat »

@superstring: If there Normals are determined to have a standard list of available roles with standard PMs, then the next step up the complexity scale is Themed "Normals" where flavor is used. It could range from being just flowery roles and maybe individual names all the way up to the line between themed and mutated/experimental type games.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (isolation #2) » Thu May 31, 2007 4:25 pm

Post by gorckat »

Should there be a list of 'core' roles allowed in a normal? Or is that implied when you say no change to game mechanics?

You've probably said so somehwere prior, but just like a game that is slowing down, I'm gonna post first and review in a second...
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #177 (isolation #3) » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:17 am

Post by gorckat »

Lord Gurgi wrote:I am going to Necro this thread, because I think it ought to be talked about more. My first venture into moddery is coming up and I am frankly unsure because I think it's fine, it has flavour, but I don't want the powers that be coming down on my head for it. I think that I will only ever mod a mini normal this once, purely because I hate being restricted as this does.
Have you asked MeMe?
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (isolation #4) » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 am

Post by gorckat »

I think you'd then have competing queues looking for essentially the same players- minis with flavor and minis without.

I don't think enough games of no flavor are run to warrant a whole separate queue, but am willing to be corrected by MeMe or someone who has actually looked at the recent trends.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (isolation #5) » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:04 am

Post by gorckat »

gorckat in 1/07 (in this very thread) wrote:@Mr Flay- I'm playing my first non-Newbie Normal and if there is anything not on your first list of normal roles, then I'm gonna feel a little...well- pissed.

I, personally, like the idea of straight-up normals with nothing but Mr Flay's "Absolutely Normal" roles. It seems to me you win those games by having fun and playing better, not being the first to guess the setup or what roles are around.

In terms of flavor messing with a Newbie, 309 had all role PMs posted. The cop and doc had names assigned to them. The scum and townie PMs had a list of possible names. The cop outed himself
page one
by saying it would be hard for scum to fake claim since names were assigned. (Scum still lost, but we were both newbs :P)

I'm in a Newbie mini on another site. Its theme is High School Talent Show. Newbie friendly it is not (imho), since each player has a unique role and PM, plus there was a little debate over whether a certain roles could be in a Newbie there (roles you will not find in a Newbie here, although I am comparing 7 vs 12 man setups).

I think there should be a list of "Normal" roles. I think a Normal should not assign names to roles- you are the role, the role is you. Generic townie PM should always be posted. Standard role PMs for Normals makes sense, as well.

On the flavor side, only the setup and mod's posts should have any flavor in a Normal- it shouldn't enter into the role PM, affect play or affect the ability to claim. It should be only a touch of flair that makes getting to what role the person lynched or found dead had more entertaining.

[/opinion]
@Megatheory: Yeah, sometimes they do :lol:

I no longer feel quite so strongly about the flavor aspects, but there is a lot of room to self-sabotage a setup if a mod isn't careful.

I also think there's a little room for deviation from the Normal roles, and don't think the PMs should be standardized.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”