Newbie 595 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:30 am

Post by q21 »

Walnut wrote:Welcome to q21! Thanks for replacing and thanks for jumping in boots and all, even if you did mistakenly vote for me.
I guess my suspicions of Litral could fall into Muerrto's category of overanalysing posts.
Muerrto calls it pointless overanalysis and chooses not to do it; I call it the one game of mafia I am allowed to play and choose to do it.
In both of these posts I am saying that I am looking closely at Litral's posts and picking up on tiny possible flaws, because that is all I have to go on. I am conceding that, as Muerrto says, this may be overanalysing. I can see the contradictory angle if I was saying that my suspicions of Litral were caused by
his
overanalysis, but I was in fact referring to
my own
(potential) overanalysis in both posts.

I had been speculating about what any Demon king replacement would open with, and I must say you impressed me. The immeditate mention of your predecessor (as it could not be avoided) with the throwaway defence of "He was a first timer who got pressured so left" then moving straight on to lots of analysis, flinging a few FOS and a vote for the last player to be named in a post prior to your replacing was good. The defence is not as silly as it sounds- all you need to join the site is a valid email address, so you could get some fairly inexplicable behaviour, especially in the first few posts of someone's first ever game. Even so, you start with a burden of suspicion based on your replacee's brief contribution, and will have to work hard to clear it.
Muerrto wrote: I don't think I've been contributing less but I simply got to the point where beating the dead horse was getting messy and monotonous.
I definitely agree. While I am too lazy to count up the exact number of posts everyone has written, you have certainly done your share. The dead horse part is where we differ- to stretch the analogy I think some of us, having only the one horse to ride, are giving its sun-dried skull mouth-to-mouth resuscitation in a desperate attempt to keep it alive. Incidentally, one way to get a vicarious fix of mafia is to read other games, and I have read a couple here and am currently following a couple more. In one of these Muerrto was mafiascum and was partnered by a series of fairly unfortunate newbies who dug a deeper and deeper hole leading to a 2 day game, if I recall correctly. Hence perhaps the frustration with newbies (or perhaps a more definite attempt to stay unassociated with a potentially fatal partner...).

In answer to Litral's request for a detailed analysis of all of the players in the game so far, I am reluctant to do this. One reason why is that we have Starkmoon posting soon and potentially Mike4876, and I would like for them to read the thread and come up with their own thoughts first, and not just be able to say "I agree with so and so" much. Just to check though- the first time you asked for a detailed analysis of all players currently in the game (post 105), then the second time (post 115) you said
Walnut, my request still stands; I want an explicit argument from you.
What does it mean when a general analysis turns into an explicit argument? I think it means that my single vote sitting on you is making you edgy, and I don't mind that.

That said, I did a bit of headscratching about Mike4876, and reluctantly have come to the conclusion that he needs to be voted for. The tricky bit is that just possibly he has a legitimate reason for not posting, and statistically speaking he is more likely to be a townie, and even a silent one gives us an advantage in the win condition. However, if he is mafia, I am damned if I am going to be the fool who let him win by never posting.

Unvote, Vote Mike4876
Quite possibly you were talking about yourself in both instances, but the way it reads is that first you were talking about Litral's overanalysis, and then your own.

As to the burden of suspicion sitting quite squarely on my shoulders: I wouldn't be surprised if you voted or even lynched me for Demonking's actions... all what, three of them? Hell, I'd have voted for him if I'd been playing. Lynching me for his actions is understandable, but it would be unfortunate and vaguely annoying.

As for Mike, he's been at L-3 for 13.5 hours followed by L-2 for a further 7 hours. This is me sticking him at L-1.

Vote: Mike

Its do or die time for you now, Mike. No one actually drop the hammer straight away, at least give him the chance to pitch up. Though the only thing that might save him is a power role reveal, which I'd be disinclined to believe.

Official Vote Count

massive - 1 (q21)
snaoo - 1 (massive)
Muerrto - 1 (snafoo)
Mike4876 - 3 (Muerrto, Super Archivist, Walnut)

Not Voting - 3 (Litral, mike4876, starkmoon)

5 to Lynch
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:51 am

Post by Litral »

q21, you need to unvote.

snafoo, massive, you two haven't posted for a while now... so in case you decide to vote before catching up...

Mike is at L-1.

So don't vote Mike.

That said, let us wait.
Super Archivist
Super Archivist
Townie
Super Archivist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:01 am

Post by Super Archivist »

Why does q21 need to unvote? He can unvote when/if Mike shows up, if he has a reason to. I think it's good to keep Mike at L-1 for awhile. :twisted:

So anyway, how long should we give him?
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:04 am

Post by q21 »

Mike needs to hit L-1 at some point, he certainly deserves it. I said I would vote for him after about a day and so I did. Because it gets your panties in a knot.

unvote

But baring some kind of miracle I think he has to go today.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:07 am

Post by q21 »

Crosspost with SA. I chose to unvote because this is a newbie game and someone may just vote without catching up all the way... or at least give that as their reason anyway. Maybe Mike can only get to computer on weekdays, so I would suggest giving him another day to pitch. Litral's reaction is noted, though.

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:17 am

Post by Litral »

q21, I apologize for being very, very unclear. What I meant was that you need to unvote first, because you have not unvoted from voting for Walnut. Then you may vote. I have no opinions about putting someone on L-1 in a newbie game.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:25 am

Post by Litral »

q21 wrote: Litral's reaction is noted, though.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:31 am

Post by Litral »

In case someone gets any ideas - q21, you decide whether or not to vote; snafoo, massive and I are not allowed to vote until mike returns or is replaced; just to avoid a mislynch.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:48 am

Post by q21 »

Okay, I misunderstood you. I thought you were getting all panicky a seeing Mike at L-1. Apologies for that. I'm not used to having to unvote for every new vote. I wanted to give you the space to try and derail the train on Mike further - then if he turns up as mafia you would be have done a good job of incriminating yourself.

But I got it backwards.

Lets try that again:

UNvote Walnut
Vote Mike

Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:06 am

Post by Muerrto »

If Mike's picked up his prod, not posted, and is sitting at lynch -1 and not posting he should be hammered, period. If he's picked up his prod he won't be replaced so waiting is pointless. Give him till monday I guess then kill him.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

I feel for the rest of the players every time I get a town PM.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:05 am

Post by Litral »

Muerrto wrote: If Mike's picked up his prod, not posted, and is sitting at lynch -1 and not posting he should be hammered, period. If he's picked up his prod he won't be replaced so waiting is pointless. Give him till monday I guess then kill him.
That's like... 11 hours later. With so few people mislynching is going to be really bad. I'd rather:

MR. VAL: Sorry for bothering you again - thanks for helping us find q21 - but if someone doesn't post for 13 days, I don't think they want to play the game. Can you replace mike before this goes out of hand? Thanks!

It's not that he's not posting. He was prodded for not posting and picked up his prod and said "I'm here" in response. He's paying attention to the game, therefore he does not get replaced. If a player chooses to lurk it's not the Mod's responsibility to deal with them. If he had not picked up his PM then he would have been replaced days ago. - Vel

q21 wrote: I wanted to give you the space to try and derail the train on Mike further - then if he turns up as mafia you would be have done a good job of incriminating yourself.
:shock: Nice play. I'm reading some games and all I can see is on the surface - people seem to implicitly know everything underneath. I see how your "Litral's reaction is noted" would've squeezed out a defense from me if I really was suggesting you not vote him. If it doesn't affect the gameplay, I'd love to read more explanations like this.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:11 am

Post by Muerrto »

If he picked up his prod and doesn't post the mod can't do anything. He's already said that just yesterday.

I'd like to see Litral hammer Mike when the time comes.

Your hesitancy and insistence on replacing instead has me a little baffled. If he's picked up his prod he's obviously playing, so he's scum. Is he your partner and you want him replaced and not lynched?
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Post by Litral »

Muerrto wrote:Your hesitancy and insistence on replacing instead has me a little baffled.
Your impatience and insistence of having him lynched immediately leaves me very baffled.
Muerrto wrote: If he's picked up his prod he's obviously playing, so he's scum.
This is a false statement. We have no idea what goes on in the minds of those who sign up for a game only not to play. I can direct you to plenty of games where a townie signs up, confirms, and then never posts again. There are also plenty of games where a mafia signs up, confirms, and never posts again, but there is no obvious ratio as to which is more likely.

It's already Monday, but I will not be hammering him, simply because it will kill the game to have 2 townies dead for no reason. You're pushing awfully hard for a lynch, you know? Do you have certain killing abilities you wish to use indiscriminately?
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Post by Litral »

I can think of a good reason not to play as townie: "Damnit, stupid role, useless role, never going to post". Your abrupt generalization is not helpful.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Litral wrote:This is a false statement. We have no idea what goes on in the minds of those who sign up for a game only not to play. I can direct you to plenty of games where a townie signs up, confirms, and then never posts again. There are also plenty of games where a mafia signs up, confirms, and never posts again, but there is no obvious ratio as to which is more likely.
Um..never posts, yep. People quit. But he picked up his prod, I'm not quite sure how to explain that clearer. That means he checked the board and more likely checked this game. He's reading the posts and not posting.

It's the worst possible scum tactic and yet newbies still use it often.

There is no reason he'd pick up his prod and not post a simple 'I'm not here'. He can't start another game while in this one so why even come to the board if he's not playing?

I'm gonna assume you missed the whole 'picked up his prod' and what that meant and assume you're not that blatantly defending him...for now.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Post by Litral »

*sigh* Tell you what, Muerrto. Let's exchange. I'll put in my vote and you decide whether or not to hammer him. Deal? Since you're so trigger-happy, I'll give you the right to do so.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Post by Litral »

Let me clarify, I mean I want you to unvote; once I see your unvote I will vote; and then you decide whether or not to hammer him.
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Post by Litral »

q21 in AtiP II wrote: The only thing I've done in every mafia game I've ever played is die...
:lol:
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Shrug

Unvote

Even if he's town he's hurting the game and the mod already (and correctly) said he won't replace him.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Post by Litral »

vote: mike4876
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Post by Muerrto »

If he's town remind me not to speak to him again =p
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:45 pm

Post by q21 »

Mike is dead, we await the modman.

Also, @ Litral - AtiP works on logic that doesn't fit in normal mafia games - read it for interest sake by all means, but don't try to use anything you see in just about any other game you play.

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Post by Litral »

Well, 7 player game now.
q21 wrote: Also, @ Litral - AtiP works on logic that doesn't fit in normal mafia games - read it for interest sake by all means, but don't try to use anything you see in just about any other game you play.
Hey, I'm not using it in any way whatsoever. I'm laughing because in the aftermath you said you always died in every game you've played. I found it funny, that's all. Gee, sensitive, aren't we?...
Walnut
Walnut
Goon
Walnut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Post by Walnut »

Muerrto wrote:

If he's town remind me not to speak to him again =p
Given his performance so far, he probably wouldn't reply. :?

My only regret about lynching him so soon is that Starkmoon won't get a day one post in, but I guess she can get underway on day two just as easily.
Reading your signature makes me feel guilty and helpless.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:55 am

Post by q21 »

Litral wrote:Well, 7 player game now.
q21 wrote: Also, @ Litral - AtiP works on logic that doesn't fit in normal mafia games - read it for interest sake by all means, but don't try to use anything you see in just about any other game you play.
Hey, I'm not using it in any way whatsoever. I'm laughing because in the aftermath you said you always died in every game you've played. I found it funny, that's all. Gee, sensitive, aren't we?...
The bit you quoted was meant to be funny, but its also true up to this point. I am a little sensitive about it because I went into that game and started playing as normal and the scums picked me out for it... which helped my team toward losing the game.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”